Spectral Mastery Removal

xFireize.6318

I don't mind losing Last Gasp, especially now that we have Dark Defiance, which makes Protection much stronger. Spectral Ring change was also a nice change.

**However, I feel removing Spectral Mastery was uncalled for.**

I feel like there could be many other ways to nerf spectral skills, if the devs thought they were too powerful.

One thing I love about GW2 is: "if you love a particular skillset, use its trait(s)! You'll love them more!" It is sad to see this concept replaced by a bland and uninteresting 10% damage.

I don't play much of other classes, but is Spectral the only skill set that doesn't have any traits? This is sad..

> @"xFireize.6318" said:

> I don't mind losing Last Gasp, especially now that we have Dark Defiance, which makes Protection much stronger. Spectral Ring change was also a nice change.

>

> **However, I feel removing Spectral Mastery was uncalled for.**

>

> I feel like there could be many other ways to nerf spectral skills, if the devs thought they were too powerful.

>

> One thing I love about GW2 is: "if you love a particular skillset, use its trait(s)! You'll love them more!" It is sad to see this concept replaced by a bland and uninteresting 10% damage.

>

> I don't play much of other classes, but is Spectral the only skill set that doesn't have any traits? This is sad..

Nope, technically the minion skillset don't have a trait either. They got plenty of traits related to minions but it's much like saying that _gluttony_ or _fear of death_ are spectral skillset traits.

_Spectral mastery_ was most likely removed because he would have overwhelmed the 2 other traits and kept SR in a "mandatory" state. The issue wasn't the spectral skills being strong or not, it was the traitline being a mandatory pick. Now SR is still very attractive but taking it mean that you sacrifice you defense.

>@"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"xFireize.6318" said:

> > I don't mind losing Last Gasp, especially now that we have Dark Defiance, which makes Protection much stronger. Spectral Ring change was also a nice change.

> >

> > **However, I feel removing Spectral Mastery was uncalled for.**

> >

> > I feel like there could be many other ways to nerf spectral skills, if the devs thought they were too powerful.

> >

> > One thing I love about GW2 is: "if you love a particular skillset, use its trait(s)! You'll love them more!" It is sad to see this concept replaced by a bland and uninteresting 10% damage.

> >

> > I don't play much of other classes, but is Spectral the only skill set that doesn't have any traits? This is sad..

>

> Nope, technically the minion skillset don't have a trait either. They got plenty of traits related to minions but it's much like saying that _gluttony_ or _fear of death_ are spectral skillset traits.

>

> _Spectral mastery_ was most likely removed because he would have overwhelmed the 2 other traits and kept SR in a "mandatory" state. The issue wasn't the spectral skills being strong or not, it was the traitline being a mandatory pick. Now SR is still very attractive but taking it mean that you sacrifice you defense.

Minions are a strong exception when it comes to utility skills, until removal of spectral mastery, minions were the only utility set **in the game** that had multiple traits. Now necro is the only profession that has a utility set with multiple trait options, and a utility set with zero trait options. Not sure about your gluttony/fear of death comparison, both those skills have nothing to do with spectral skills, whereas the minion traits explicitly say they affect minions.

I don't mind losing last gasp, but the compensation for it was bad. Until death magic gets fully fixed dark defiance won't be used in the meta. Removing spectral mastery was dumb, and it goes against the design that every class adheres to. I could get behind making traited skills baseline but the replacement trait has to be interesting, not a 10% damage buff that already existed on a minor, now forcing every PvE build to run this trait. The compensation for losing last gasp was awful, -5% on our shroud skill cd reduction, and +5% lifeforce pool, as if a small lifeforce pool was the problem.

The changes to reaper's protection and death nova are meant well, but they don't do enough to redeem death magic. It still has a useless master minor, and two mediocre grandmaster traits. Jagged horror summon on enemy kill is pointless outside of open world PvE. Death nova really should "summon two jagged horrors for every utility minion that dies (maximum 5 jagged horrors)", then it will feel like a true minion master trait. Death magic could also use some damage traits, like "10% damage for controlling 3 or more minions", to alleviate some of the damage loss from not taking spite or soul reaping.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > I don't mind losing Last Gasp, especially now that we have Dark Defiance, which makes Protection much stronger. Spectral Ring change was also a nice change.

> >

> > **However, I feel removing Spectral Mastery was uncalled for.**

> >

> > I feel like there could be many other ways to nerf spectral skills, if the devs thought they were too powerful.

> >

> > One thing I love about GW2 is: "if you love a particular skillset, use its trait(s)! You'll love them more!" It is sad to see this concept replaced by a bland and uninteresting 10% damage.

> >

> > I don't play much of other classes, but is Spectral the only skill set that doesn't have any traits? This is sad..

>

> Nope, technically the minion skillset don't have a trait either. They got plenty of traits related to minions but it's much like saying that _gluttony_ or _fear of death_ are spectral skillset traits.

There are many minion traits that fall under "if you love a particular skillset, use its trait(s)! You'll love them more!" concept. I see your point of the gluttony thing, it's much like saying Honorable Staff is related to Shout. I don't however see minion traits being that indirect. They even updated gluttony to apply to all sources.

>

> _Spectral mastery_ was most likely removed because he would have overwhelmed the 2 other traits and kept SR in a "mandatory" state. The issue wasn't the spectral skills being strong or not, it was the traitline being a mandatory pick. Now SR is still very attractive but taking it mean that you sacrifice you defense.

I can see this as a reason for replacing Last Gasp with Sinister Shroud and updating Vital Persistence. You are right, SR is still attractive, but I don't think defense and/or spectral were ever its overwhelming strength. I'd still take SR even without having any spectral skills at all.

> @"Zex Anthon.8673" said:

> >@"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > Nope, technically the minion skillset don't have a trait either. They got plenty of traits related to minions but it's much like saying that _gluttony_ or _fear of death_ are spectral skillset traits.

> >

> > _Spectral mastery_ was most likely removed because he would have overwhelmed the 2 other traits and kept SR in a "mandatory" state. The issue wasn't the spectral skills being strong or not, it was the traitline being a mandatory pick. Now SR is still very attractive but taking it mean that you sacrifice you defense.

>

> Minions are a strong exception when it comes to utility skills, until removal of spectral mastery, minions were the only utility set **in the game** that had multiple traits. Now necro is the only profession that has a utility set with multiple trait options, and a utility set with zero trait options. Not sure about your gluttony/fear of death comparison, both those skills have nothing to do with spectral skills, whereas the minion traits explicitly say they affect minions.

>

Spectral skills are supposed to build life force.

> I don't mind losing last gasp, but the compensation for it was bad. Until death magic gets fully fixed dark defiance won't be used in the meta. Removing spectral mastery was dumb, and it goes against the design that every class adheres to. I could get behind making traited skills baseline but the replacement trait has to be interesting, not a 10% damage buff that already existed on a minor, now forcing every PvE build to run this trait. The compensation for losing last gasp was awful, -5% on our shroud skill cd reduction, and +5% lifeforce pool, as if a small lifeforce pool was the problem.

>

Like I said, ANet needed to reduce the "strength" of the SR traitline which was dominant, keeping spectral mastery would just have made it as dominant as ever because the would have been mandatory for dps in PvE and Spectral mastery would have kept players into SR for their defensive CD.

> The changes to reaper's protection and death nova are meant well, but they don't do enough to redeem death magic. It still has a useless master minor, and two mediocre grandmaster traits. Jagged horror summon on enemy kill is pointless outside of open world PvE. Death nova really should "summon two jagged horrors for every utility minion that dies (maximum 5 jagged horrors)", then it will feel like a true minion master trait. Death magic could also use some damage traits, like "10% damage for controlling 3 or more minions", to alleviate some of the damage loss from not taking spite or soul reaping.

>

>

I agree that DM is still far from being worth it, that said, it doesn't need the "moar damage pls" but less situationnal traits.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > You are right, SR is still attractive, but I don't think defense and/or spectral were ever its overwhelming strength.

>

> It was probably seen as an issue that SR was a more defensive traitline than DM, which is supposed to be THE defensive traitline.

>

Yup I get that. And in my opinion Last Gasp was the culprit. It was perfectly addressed with the Last Gasp removal and Dark Defiance update. I've actually replaced Spite with DM because of Dark Defiance. I've been enjoying it so far despite people saying it's still not worth taking DM.

> @"xFireize.6318" said:

> > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > @"xFireize.6318" said:

> > > You are right, SR is still attractive, but I don't think defense and/or spectral were ever its overwhelming strength.

> >

> > It was probably seen as an issue that SR was a more defensive traitline than DM, which is supposed to be THE defensive traitline.

> >

>

> Yup I get that. And in my opinion Last Gasp was the culprit. It was perfectly addressed with the Last Gasp removal and Dark Defiance update. I've actually replaced Spite with DM because of Dark Defiance. I've been enjoying it so far despite people saying it's still not worth taking DM.

>

It wasn't all last gasp. Everyone knows that Shroud is the defensive mechanic we have and we really lack mobility. Soul Marks allowed slightly safer building of LF when using staff or Speed of Shadows allowed some control of movement impairing conditions which really mess necro up. In addition Spectral Mastery + Spectral Walk and/or Spectral Armour was better than anything that you could every hope to achieve with DM. Lastly Foot in the Grave, though seldom taken, is a decent defensive trait since it blocks 2 CC, one on break and one from stab.

The line had better defensive traits than DM.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Zex Anthon.8673" said:

> > >@"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > Nope, technically the minion skillset don't have a trait either. They got plenty of traits related to minions but it's much like saying that _gluttony_ or _fear of death_ are spectral skillset traits.

> > >

> > > _Spectral mastery_ was most likely removed because he would have overwhelmed the 2 other traits and kept SR in a "mandatory" state. The issue wasn't the spectral skills being strong or not, it was the traitline being a mandatory pick. Now SR is still very attractive but taking it mean that you sacrifice you defense.

> >

> > Minions are a strong exception when it comes to utility skills, until removal of spectral mastery, minions were the only utility set **in the game** that had multiple traits. Now necro is the only profession that has a utility set with multiple trait options, and a utility set with zero trait options. Not sure about your gluttony/fear of death comparison, both those skills have nothing to do with spectral skills, whereas the minion traits explicitly say they affect minions.

> >

>

> Spectral skills are supposed to build life force.

Sure, but that doesn't mean spectral skills are the only thing that builds lifeforce, and it doesn't mean everything that generates lifeforce is related to spectral skills. Gluttony and fear of death generate life force or affect life force gain because lifeforce is a **class mechanic**. Spectral mastery explicitly improved a utility set. Flesh of the Master and Necromantic Corruption explicitly improve a utility set

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > I don't mind losing last gasp, but the compensation for it was bad. Until death magic gets fully fixed dark defiance won't be used in the meta. Removing spectral mastery was dumb, and it goes against the design that every class adheres to. I could get behind making traited skills baseline but the replacement trait has to be interesting, not a 10% damage buff that already existed on a minor, now forcing every PvE build to run this trait. The compensation for losing last gasp was awful, -5% on our shroud skill cd reduction, and +5% lifeforce pool, as if a small lifeforce pool was the problem.

> >

>

> Like I said, ANet needed to reduce the "strength" of the SR traitline which was dominant, keeping spectral mastery would just have made it as dominant as ever because the would have been mandatory for dps in PvE and Spectral mastery would have kept players into SR for their defensive CD.

>

I agree, necro relied too heavily on soul reaping, and spectral skills. It still does now, its just weaker. You still need to run soul reaping for PvE because of death perception, now you have to take soul barbs as well. What they should have done is compensate us better for nerfing spectral skills. There needs to be more traits that generate lifeforce, blighter's boon and unholy martyr are both examples of excellent traits.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> >The changes to reaper's protection and death nova are meant well, but they don't do enough to redeem death magic. It still has a useless master minor, and two mediocre grandmaster traits. Jagged horror summon on enemy kill is pointless outside of open world PvE. Death nova really should "summon two jagged horrors for every utility minion that dies (maximum 5 jagged horrors)", then it will feel like a true minion master trait. Death magic could also use some damage traits, like "10% damage for controlling 3 or more minions", to alleviate some of the damage loss from not taking spite or soul reaping.

>I agree that DM is still far from being worth it, that said, it doesn't need the "moar damage pls" but less situationnal traits.

The point of adding some damage traits to death magic would be to alleviate the damage loss of taking death magic over something like spite. Take [water](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Water "water") on elementalist for example. It is primarily a support/sustain specialization, but it still has piercing shards and aquamancer's training, so you can sprinkle some damage in your build if you wanted to. Death magic already has a trait like this anyway, deadly strength provides power based on toughness. The other issue is multiple traits have similar roles. Flesh of the master and Putrid defense, both serve to mitigate damage, one is going to be better than the other, so there really isn't any trade off. The same goes for corruptor's fervor and unholy sanctuary, why would I ever run unholy sanctuary if I corruptor's fervor does its job better. If I were to redesign death magic I would set up three trait lines with distinct roles with minions being a central theme: damage (situation damage boosts, minions deal more damage), sustain, and minion master..

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > @"xFireize.6318" said:

> > > > You are right, SR is still attractive, but I don't think defense and/or spectral were ever its overwhelming strength.

> > >

> > > It was probably seen as an issue that SR was a more defensive traitline than DM, which is supposed to be THE defensive traitline.

> > >

> >

> > Yup I get that. And in my opinion Last Gasp was the culprit. It was perfectly addressed with the Last Gasp removal and Dark Defiance update. I've actually replaced Spite with DM because of Dark Defiance. I've been enjoying it so far despite people saying it's still not worth taking DM.

> >

>

> It wasn't all last gasp. Everyone knows that Shroud is the defensive mechanic we have and we really lack mobility. Soul Marks allowed slightly safer building of LF when using staff or Speed of Shadows allowed some control of movement impairing conditions which really mess necro up. In addition Spectral Mastery + Spectral Walk and/or Spectral Armour was better than anything that you could every hope to achieve with DM. Lastly Foot in the Grave, though seldom taken, is a decent defensive trait since it blocks 2 CC, one on break and one from stab.

>

> The line had better defensive traits than DM.

I hope it's that. And I would love to see Spectral Mastery to be added to DM. I am just bummed out that Spectral skills don't have any related traits, regardless of which traitline it is.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > You are right, SR is still attractive, but I don't think defense and/or spectral were ever its overwhelming strength.

>

> It was probably seen as an issue that SR was a more defensive traitline than DM, which is supposed to be THE defensive traitline.

>

since launch EVERY proffesion ALWAYS took their class mechanic traitline.

Its just too much value, mostly you get dmg+survival+extra compared to just taking an offensive traitline for a 10% dmg mod.

It might have better defensive traits than DM, but really DM is just way to weak. 3 useless minion traits wasting slots for real traits, instead of reworking these, they make strange buffs and gut Soul Reaping.

Even with soul reaping being strong, it was not overpowered, especially spectral mastery and spectral skills. They did a horrible job in integrating lifeforce generation, most of the lifeforce generation is limited to hitting things with key skills. In a dodge /distort / stealth heavy meta you wont hit much, furthermore necro has no way of keeping up, if an enemy outranges you or disengages, you cant build any lifeforce while other classes are just cooldown based. Last Gasp and SR kinda helped with this problem, yes they removed it without giving ANY reasonable compensation for the defense lost.

Now one could say the buffed DM, but thats not really it. They gave a very questionable protection buff to a class that has a total of 2 skills that give protection on a 40 second cooldown and death magic is besides that - terrible.

SR was so good for necros because it gave them both - needed offense and needed defense. Now look at spite - we have no reliable damage modifiers here. The trait line revolves around might and vulnerability - both of these aspects are very easily capped and vulnerability is easily countered by any condition cleanse. Our grandmasters in spite SUCK, our base damage on weapons SUCK.

DM is lackluster - it has a strange Minion theme thats not useable in ANY important gamemode. Its useless in WvW (no matter if roaming or zerging), its useless in PvP and also in high end PvE. Furthermore, the defense capabilities are bad. The entie traitline makes no sense, we get damage reduction from poisoned foes - yet we only have 2 weapon skills that can cause poison. Both are on condi heavy weapon sets. We have the mentioned little access to protection as well.

On a class basis, we dont have any real defense. Yes we have shroud, but shroud is bad. 2 Mesmer Distorts is better than shroud. one stealth skill is better than shout. Shadowsteps are better than shroud. Simply put: the game is so powercreeped that full damage reduction (dodges, distort, position changes, etc.) and damage immunity are king. Furthermore, Deathshroud is WAY to punishing to use. Shroud is gated by a cooldown. Shroud skills are gated by a cooldown as well. Shroud is also gated by lifeforce (that also decays). Now life force gain is also gated to certain skills, that also have cooldowns. And than, these skills have to hit a target - based on a class that has no mobility, no defenses, no way to prevent stunlocks - a recipe for disaster. To top it off, you cant even be healed or properly supported by allies while in shroud, you get punished for getting trough multiple layers of difficulty and cooldowns.

Gearwise necro has to invest heavily into damage and defense. The weapon skills and traits dont give good damage by its own. They dont give good defense. Shroud is flawed. We cant build a proper bunker builds - our damage will be so bad that even a thief can bathe in it while slaughtering trough. We cant build for full damage as we lack the unrestricted defenses other classes get.

I have the impression they always pick certain goals across all classes and neglect the eye for the whole class.

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > Spectral skills are supposed to build life force.

>

> Sure, but that doesn't mean spectral skills are the only thing that builds lifeforce, and it doesn't mean everything that generates lifeforce is related to spectral skills. Gluttony and fear of death generate life force or affect life force gain because lifeforce is a **class mechanic**. Spectral mastery explicitly improved a utility set. Flesh of the Master and Necromantic Corruption explicitly improve a utility set

>

_Flesh of the master_ and _necromantic corruption_ affect all minions not just the minions of the utility set. Minions from runesets are affected, minions from _rise!_ are affected, minions from _lich form_ and minions from _death nova_ as well. Yes life force is a profession mechanism but it doesn't mean that traits that improve indirectly _spectral_ skills that are primarily specialized in generating life force aren't the same as traits that improve indirectly _minions_.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > Spectral skills are supposed to build life force.

> >

> > Sure, but that doesn't mean spectral skills are the only thing that builds lifeforce, and it doesn't mean everything that generates lifeforce is related to spectral skills. Gluttony and fear of death generate life force or affect life force gain because lifeforce is a **class mechanic**. Spectral mastery explicitly improved a utility set. Flesh of the Master and Necromantic Corruption explicitly improve a utility set

> >

>

> _Flesh of the master_ and _necromantic corruption_ affect all minions not just the minions of the utility set. Minions from runesets are affected, minions from _rise!_ are affected, minions from _lich form_ and minions from _death nova_ as well. Yes life force is a profession mechanism but it doesn't mean that traits that improve indirectly _spectral_ skills that are primarily specialized in generating life force aren't the same as traits that improve indirectly _minions_.

>

>

That's a fair point. There isn't really a trait that says minion skills have reduced cool down, or something of that nature. The utilities should really be classified as **Summons** so that there is a distinct separation of language. That way minions can be properly categorized as a profession mechanic, and **Summons** are utility skills that interact with that mechanic in much the same way spectral skills interact with life force.

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > @"Zex Anthon.8673" said:

> > > > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > > Spectral skills are supposed to build life force.

> > >

> > > Sure, but that doesn't mean spectral skills are the only thing that builds lifeforce, and it doesn't mean everything that generates lifeforce is related to spectral skills. Gluttony and fear of death generate life force or affect life force gain because lifeforce is a **class mechanic**. Spectral mastery explicitly improved a utility set. Flesh of the Master and Necromantic Corruption explicitly improve a utility set

> > >

> >

> > _Flesh of the master_ and _necromantic corruption_ affect all minions not just the minions of the utility set. Minions from runesets are affected, minions from _rise!_ are affected, minions from _lich form_ and minions from _death nova_ as well. Yes life force is a profession mechanism but it doesn't mean that traits that improve indirectly _spectral_ skills that are primarily specialized in generating life force aren't the same as traits that improve indirectly _minions_.

> >

> >

>

> That's a fair point. There isn't really a trait that says minion skills have reduced cool down, or something of that nature. The utilities should really be classified as **Summons** so that there is a distinct separation of language. That way minions can be properly categorized as a profession mechanic, and **Summons** are utility skills that interact with that mechanic in much the same way spectral skills interact with life force.

"Profession mechanic" is by definition something you have access to regardless of your build. Minions definitely do not fall under this category.

This is turning into a "Fix Death Magic" thread but, really, DM does not work well for anything but minions.

Armored Shroud (minor) - fine for PvP and WvW but everything that adds toughness in group PvE is a bad idea unless you can control aggro

Shrouded Removal - a fair adept level trait

Putrid Defense - good with condi builds and group PvE but not so much anywhere else

Soul Comprehension (minor) - Gluttony is better, now

Dark Defiance - my favorite change of the patch because it used to be so utterly useless as Reaper's Protection

Deadly Strength - sacrificing crit damage for toughness and a tiny bit more power does not work on a power build or a condi build

Corruptor's Fervor - again, a choice of messing around with aggro mechanics ~~or hoping your opponent lets conditions stack up~~

Unholy Sanctuary - Is Vital Persistence better than this, now, even after its nerfs?

Aside from minion traits, nothing about the Death Magic trait line has any appeal to me. Soul Reaping makes use of our primary profession mechanic while offering both damage and defense. Death magic screws with group PvE and has no offense for PvP. DM has no blocks, reflects or retaliation, no stability, no crit chance, no weapon CD reduction (anymore), no damaging auto-procs of any kind, unlike the other three core trait lines, no group support like all of the stuff in Blood Magic, and the only utilities it supports are minions.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> Soul Comprehension (minor) - Gluttony is better, now

They stack multiplicativly. If you are specced into DM and SR a death nets you 13.2% LF. The new version of Gluttony is far better than the old one.

> Corruptor's Fervor - again, a choice of messing around with aggro mechanics or **hoping your opponent lets conditions stack up**

You make it sound dependant on something other than tagging someone with any condition? When used its not that hard to upkeep at max stacks.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > Soul Comprehension (minor) - Gluttony is better, now

> They stack multiplicativly. If you are specced into DM and SR a death nets you 13.2% LF. The new version of Gluttony is far better than the old one.

I got that but am unconvinced we need two similar mechanics that work too well in open world PvE and not so well elsewhere.

> > Corruptor's Fervor - again, a choice of messing around with aggro mechanics or **hoping your opponent lets conditions stack up**

> You make it sound dependant on something other than tagging someone with any condition? When used its not that hard to upkeep at max stacks.

I missed that one; shows how often I use it, which, for me, was on a MM build without Death Nova.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > > Soul Comprehension (minor) - Gluttony is better, now

> > They stack multiplicativly. If you are specced into DM and SR a death nets you 13.2% LF. The new version of Gluttony is far better than the old one.

> I got that but am unconvinced we need two similar mechanics that work too well in open world PvE and not so well elsewhere.

It opens up more room for SC to be changed to something else.

• 5 weeks later...