BS timers on champions

Snowpea.5469

The can't tell you number of times either solo or with one other person I've tried to take down a Champion, only to have it despawn at 5% health because of some BS timer!

Why you would do that?

If one or two people want to do all that work, why would you punish them for it?

There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who find running around in a big 20+ group killing champions extremely dull and unchallenging. This is especially the case because unlike in games such as Rift, the content doesn't scale based on numbers so you can just stand there auto-attacking and get the reward... yay!

Why not let us play in small groups and still complete the content?

PS I really like the game, just not this aspect!

> @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> What really grinds my gear is when the champs decide you're too rough on them, get invul and start regenerating life.

> In places like Istan this happens even with warthogs, lol. Really frustrating.

Yeah, I wish I could choose to reset back to full life when I felt the enemy wasn't fighting me in my preferred location!

> @"Snowpea.5469" said:

> The can't tell you number of times either solo or with one other person I've tried to take down a Champion, only to have it despawn at 5% health because of some BS timer!

>

> Why you would do that?

>

> If one or two people want to do all that work, why would you punish them for it?

>

> There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who find running around in a big 20+ group killing champions extremely dull and unchallenging. This is especially the case because unlike in games such as Rift, the content doesn't scale based on numbers so you can just stand there auto-attacking and get the reward... yay!

>

> Why not let us play in small groups and still complete the content?

>

> PS I really like the game, just not this aspect!

I am assuming you are talking about champions tied to timed events. I haven't really found many that the timer is too short if you aren't coming in at the tail end. You also have to keep in mind that most of these events are meant for more than one person (not full 20 man groups but usually meant for 3-5). Unless you are built to solo them you won't have much luck. They are called group events for a reason.

Also many, if not all, events in GW2 scale to the number of people there.

Triple trouble even has a bug which the community calls "butter" that can showcase this perfectly, in which the event scaling fails for whatever reason and the boss dies nearly instantly because it is not scaled for the number of people.

> @"Snowpea.5469" said:

> > @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> > What really grinds my gear is when the champs decide you're too rough on them, get invul and start regenerating life.

> > In places like Istan this happens even with warthogs, lol. Really frustrating.

>

> Yeah, I wish I could choose to reset back to full life when I felt the enemy wasn't fighting me in my preferred location!

With the PoF enemies it's not even a matter of preferred location. They do that even if you are fighting them on top of the stop spot they spawned. Been like that since PoF came out. Fortunately still only limited to PoF mobs.

I don't really have a problem with it - it's part of the difficulty of beating the champ - you not only have to stay alive and do damage, but you have to damage fast enough to beat the timer. i assume this is done to encourage group participation, but it also offers a particular challenge to small group/solo efforts.

What I object to is when the timer lies and the mob despawns when it still shows time on the clock.

> @"Snowpea.5469" said:

> The can't tell you number of times either solo or with one other person I've tried to take down a Champion, only to have it despawn at 5% health because of some BS timer!

>

> Why you would do that?

>

> If one or two people want to do all that work, why would you punish them for it?

>

> There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who find running around in a big 20+ group killing champions extremely dull and unchallenging. This is especially the case because unlike in games such as Rift, the content doesn't scale based on numbers so you can just stand there auto-attacking and get the reward... yay!

>

> Why not let us play in small groups and still complete the content?

>

> PS I really like the game, just not this aspect!

What I don't understand is this:

If you want the challenge of low-manning champs, why does the addition of a timer detract from the experience?

I find it ads to it, creates another level of stress to the encounter that when beaten, is pretty satisfying.

Or all those times you are hopeless and there's a minute left on the timer and some random jumps in like a hero and pulls it out of the fire.

I love that stuff. It's part of what made me fall in love with this game.

I don't know... to say that the timer somehow doesn't allow small groups to take on champs sounds like a hyperbole to me. There aren't many open world champs that can't be taken out by 3 decent players regardless of timers. Failing one tends to be more of "what could I have done better?" moment to me than a design fail.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Snowpea.5469" said:

> > The can't tell you number of times either solo or with one other person I've tried to take down a Champion, only to have it despawn at 5% health because of some BS timer!

> >

> > Why you would do that?

> >

> > If one or two people want to do all that work, why would you punish them for it?

> >

> > There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who find running around in a big 20+ group killing champions extremely dull and unchallenging. This is especially the case because unlike in games such as Rift, the content doesn't scale based on numbers so you can just stand there auto-attacking and get the reward... yay!

> >

> > Why not let us play in small groups and still complete the content?

> >

> > PS I really like the game, just not this aspect!

>

> What I don't understand is this:

> If you want the challenge of low-manning champs, why does the addition of a timer detract from the experience?

> I find it ads to it, creates another level of stress to the encounter that when beaten, is pretty satisfying.

> Or all those times you are hopeless and there's a minute left on the timer and some random jumps in like a hero and pulls it out of the fire.

> I love that stuff. It's part of what made me fall in love with this game.

>

> I don't know... to say that the timer somehow doesn't allow small groups to take on champs sounds like a hyperbole to me. There aren't many open world champs that can't be taken out by 3 decent players regardless of timers. Failing one tends to be more of "what could I have done better?" moment to me than a design fail.

In many cases not only can it be done, it will done faster ...

Hahaha... xD

I wonder they can make champ difficulty link to map population. That will save so much time to revisit and tweak each champ or vet in map xD I don't know how it works but yeah I know your pain..

Btw.... Try map chat.. I usually put a tag up and ask ppl to come help.. I never get disappointed ..

> @"XatraZaytrax.2601" said:

> Remember when world bosses didn't have timers. Me and a couple of friends would do Jormag and it would take forever. It was when each world was separate and I was on ET, where few people did the bosses. Now that was a challenge.

>

>

Oh my goodness, yes. I remember I used to enjoy trying to solo Teq in the off hours on my world. I once got him to like 15% before someone showed up, and it disappointed me, because I totally had him!

> @"XatraZaytrax.2601" said:

> Remember when world bosses didn't have timers. Me and a couple of friends would do Jormag and it would take forever. It was when each world was separate and I was on ET, where few people did the bosses. Now that was a challenge.

>

>

Lol just brought up old ET when talking about how dead WvW could seem when it was one of the servers in a match up ;-)