Everything that needs to be nerfed on soulbeast/ranger and a few other classes

Ruufio.1496

* **Cast ____ when using a heal skill.** Not just muddy terrain, they all need to be removed entirely. Just leave them as fall dmg traits. It's spammy and bad.

* **Ranger's pet death and merging with pet not punishing the ranger.** Killing the pet was supposed to be part of the counterplay to ranger and yet it does nothing. If a ranger merges with his pet then he should receive the conditions affecting the pet as well as a health loss relative to the pet current health. And for all other ranger builds, the loss of the pet needs to be more punishing as well.

* **Unstoppable Union trait.** Leave the stunbreak, remove the unblockable effect. Instead, add unblockable to a/some of the other lesser used pets. This creates more build variety and creates less "one build can do it all" gameplay which is good for balance.

* **Troll Unguent**. Just increase the cast time to 1s instead of 0.75 seconds.

* **Swoop(bird) and all other overpowered mobility skills on classes (eg. Mirage Thrust).** For swoop in particular, nerf the range to 900 and increase the cooldown from 10s to 15s. It's fine if you want GW2 to have mobile combat but it's so ridiculous right now that the mobility just lets players play as bad as they want and then get out unharmed. Please nerf mobility like this on all classes for grenths sake. Yes, nerf traited rocket boots from 1200 range down to 900 as well- leave the superspeed. (And make it a leap finisher since the blast is totally useless when you leap 900 range away) **Remember why ride the lightning was nerfed oh so many years ago? Why are we in this disgusting state now?** Even if you're going for "fun" balance rather than skillful balance, it is entirely unfun to play against this for everyone.

* **Maul.** Make the attack of opportunity only trigger if the ranger did damage. No precast, no triggering on aegis or blind.

* **Unflinching Fortitude and Signet of Stone.** It's Endure Pain. Nerf both cooldowns to 50s. Id say 60s but for some spammy reason all 60s cooldown skills like this were reduced to 50s over the years. Last Grasp used to be 60s, was buffed to 50s and is now entirely removed. Really??? SMH. Endure Pain used to be 60s as well and...! It's entirely horrible to play against 2x Endure Pain with Balanced Stance (haha immunity to crits btw) Nerf Endure Pain to 60s each again please. This ranger skills as well while you're at it. You keep buffing skills by reducing the cooldowns and then removing said skills entirely because the spam has no counter. PLEASE STOP. You buffed Elixir S to be immune to conditions then removed it entirely because it became spammy and had no counter. STOP WITH THE LOW COOLDOWN SPAM PLEASE.

* **Supportive.** Why is this a % modifier? And for healing at that? What is druid for??? You are going to run into some serious balance issues with future elite spec if none of the elite specs have a "purity of purpose". It's fine for a damage class to do "some" healing, but tacking on a huge 25% increase to healing? Make it 200 healing power instead. All specs have this issue. There is no purity of purpose for any of them.

* **Protection Spam**. Not sure how, but it needs nerfed as well.

And for some other quality of life changes:

* **"On My Mark!"** This should inflict reveal in a 600 radius rather than a single target.

* **Corrupt Boon.** This should not be an ammo skill and scepter traited should not be AOE corrupt either. Just.... why....

* **Mercy Runes.** Perhaps nerf them to 10% revive speed instead of 20%? Certain comp are unkillable with revives. Also, bring back quickness stomping since it was fine - but make sure you nerf the abundance of quickness spam as well. (Eg. Reaper perma quickness...) Unfathomable. Alternatively, add more stomp abilities like the daredevil elite that allow for a unique way of killing an opponent. Eg. Wild Blow (berserker skill) could be changed to instantly kill a downed foe.

* **Dagger Storm**. Just revamp the skill completely. It's either too good or too bad to use.

* **Nerf Mirage.** Nerfing the mobility may help (like I said with Mirage Thrust) Mirage should actually be forced to stay in close combat if the theme is to trick opponent by being a "mirage". If you can run away so easily then you are unkillable.

* **Shadow Meld.** Get rid of the reveal removal which quite literally removes counterplay.

And of course there are a plethora of other things to nerf but these are probably the biggest, currently.

By the way, nerf (fix) ranger longbow to 1500 range since it's 1800. Imagine being able to swoop 1000-1200 range every 10s and having a longbow with 1800 range. Fix it with the suggested changes above.

**Disclaimer:** If you wont nerf mobility skills like swoop and rocket boots from 1200 range to a more reasonable 900 range, or Mirage Thrust from a 600 spammable leap (or mirage cloak) then please buff ride the lightning.

> @"Ruufio.1496" said:

>

> And for some other quality of life changes:

>

> * **"On My Mark!"** This should inflict reveal in a 600 radius rather than a single target.

There is already "Sight beyond Sight" that does this. On My Mark should stay the way it is.

Edit: Woops, posted another reply instead of editing first post.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Ruufio.1496" said:

>

> >

> > And for some other quality of life changes:

> >

> > * **"On My Mark!"** This should inflict reveal in a 600 radius rather than a single target.

>

> There is already "Sight beyond Sight" that does this. On My Mark should stay the way it is.

>

>

> Edit: Woops, posted another reply instead of editing first post.

>

Good point.

I can only agree with a few points there.

1. Maul should not pre cast attack opportunity if it does not hit.

2. Supportive pets should give straight stats instead of modifier just to be consistent with other merging bonus.

3. Attack range should be whatever listed in the tooltip.

I particularly don't agree with the change for the unblockable trait. The trait should stay as is. It does not "open up" build variability if you completely alternative the trait because build variability is already there to begin with. You are focusing on the unblockable one shot build here but the remaining major traits in the same column are as competitive and they do offer options for other builds. Unblockable uptime is actually really low. In fact reflect uptime is VERY high in comparison, and many class have access to them so I do not think the change is necessary.

Edit: Reflect AND block uptime is very high I meant. Also after reading more thoroughly it sounds to me a l2p issue as projectiles are very easy to negate, and most players I encountered in WvW who ATE my one shots are the ones who have no idea what they are doing with their class.

Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

1. Every specialization has such a trait, if you ask for it to be removed, ask for it all.

2. The death of the pet has a worse effect, if a pet dies SB can not exchange them for 60 seconds, in practice blocks a whole class mechanic.

3. Troll Unguent casting is good.

4. Seriously, are there any perma block / invurn builds and people complain for 4 seconds of non-blockable atk? lol

5. Birds: the skill f1 has a low damage the f2 is useless (swift casting) nerf swoop without compensating the loss of mobility would make them useless.

6. On maul I think you're right, considering also the nerf who received thief in the last update

7. Engi and nerf to the elixir lol, are different skills just think that Unflinching Fortitude has a cast of 1.4 seconds and a clear animation. It makes the skill easy to stop.

8. Protection spam lol

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> I think removing unblockable from unstoppable union won't really hurt that much, deadeyes have adjusted so far and they don't have the same kind of sustain. I'd be ok with a range adjustment on lbow too. I'd be down for the lesser used pets getting some love as well.

But it's not necessary. birds: owl in this case, is used only for the movement, this is its main function. the skill f1 is a leap the f2 a casting of swiftnes, the f3 "Spiritual Reprieve" is the only skill really useful while you are fighting, if I do not want to lose this effect I just change owl with fern hound in this way I will get a f1 leap (800 range) and f2 Brutal Charge (knock down). This is to say that each animal performs its own function and does not need nerf birds to use other equally competitive pet, owl for movement and fern hound for combat while maintaining the same support.

I also add brown bear with "Defy pain" on f2 skill and Spiritual Reprieve on f3 for build more tanks

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

>

> Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

Just out of curiosity, what other classes have broken tool tips on ranged weapons?

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

>I'd be down for the lesser used pets getting some love as well.

_All_ the pets need to have their skills reworked so they all have the level of functionality as the ones people actually use. The smokescale should be the minimum baseline.

But pets being functional really, _really_ pisses people off for some reason, so they'd rather they were all equally nerfed into uselessness.

> @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

> >

> > Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

>

> Just out of curiosity, what other classes have broken tool tips on ranged weapons?

Any class that has skills that "arc" as projectiles. My ele can get outwards to 1500 or greater with some of her staff skills(for sure goes way beyond max range as ive had to move nearly 300 unites or more to cast some of her AOE skills), My thiefs shortbow(and ranger) has been able to get out to 1200 from time to time. Guardian fires a little straighter so while it can extend beyond its range, its not as common, nor as easy to do. Pretty sure warrior does as well, but i havent used a longbow on a warrior in so long.

Its not a broken tooltip either, its how projectile skills work that have arcs to their animations.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> >I'd be down for the lesser used pets getting some love as well.

> _All_ the pets need to have their skills reworked so they all have the level of functionality as the ones people actually use. The smokescale should be the minimum baseline.

>

> But pets being functional really, _really_ pisses people off for some reason, so they'd rather they were all equally nerfed into uselessness.

This is a thing that needs to happen, our pets contain a portion of our damage(non SB), and having well over 90% of them being completely useless because people get upset when pets actually work properly needs to stop.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> >I'd be down for the lesser used pets getting some love as well.

> _All_ the pets need to have their skills reworked so they all have the level of functionality as the ones people actually use. The smokescale should be the minimum baseline.

>

> But pets being functional really, _really_ pisses people off for some reason, so they'd rather they were all equally nerfed into uselessness.

It's a pity because it'd open up things for sure - I would rather also see a variation instead of the same pets over and over. Right now it "feels" as if only a handful of pets exist. If they really did something with them I'd be happy, because I already love using every single weaponset/build on every class, and I salivate at the idea of being able to try out that many pets in different builds.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

> > >

> > > Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

> >

> > Just out of curiosity, what other classes have broken tool tips on ranged weapons?

>

> Any class that has skills that "arc" as projectiles. My ele can get outwards to 1500 or greater with some of her staff skills(for sure goes way beyond max range as ive had to move nearly 300 unites or more to cast some of her AOE skills), My thiefs shortbow(and ranger) has been able to get out to 1200 from time to time. Guardian fires a little straighter so while it can extend beyond its range, its not as common, nor as easy to do. Pretty sure warrior does as well, but i havent used a longbow on a warrior in so long.

>

> Its not a broken tooltip either, its how projectile skills work that have arcs to their animations.

>

You cannot get 1,500 or greater with staff Ele, you can literally watch the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range. They have a blast radius, which is why they can hit things even if you get an "out of range" display. Guard staff is the same now, the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range, only because of the blast radius can they hit outside of 1,200 range.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

> > > >

> > > > Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

> > >

> > > Just out of curiosity, what other classes have broken tool tips on ranged weapons?

> >

> > Any class that has skills that "arc" as projectiles. My ele can get outwards to 1500 or greater with some of her staff skills(for sure goes way beyond max range as ive had to move nearly 300 unites or more to cast some of her AOE skills), My thiefs shortbow(and ranger) has been able to get out to 1200 from time to time. Guardian fires a little straighter so while it can extend beyond its range, its not as common, nor as easy to do. Pretty sure warrior does as well, but i havent used a longbow on a warrior in so long.

> >

> > Its not a broken tooltip either, its how projectile skills work that have arcs to their animations.

> >

>

> You cannot get 1,500 or greater with staff Ele, you can literally watch the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range. They have a blast radius, which is why they can hit things even if you get an "out of range" display. Guard staff is the same now, the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range, only because of the blast radius can they hit outside of 1,200 range.

>

I just tested it, i was getting a range of 1400 with eles earth projectile which has no blast radius.(placed an AOE at max range and watched projectiles shoot well over the middle point of the AOE which is where they base their range off of.) only the slightest incline, though the mob was also standing on a incline. Mob was at 1500 units, and when i switched to fire it was getting hit. probably could have hit farther if i would walked up the hill a little more.

second test:

![](https://i.imgur.com/4IpwCAh.jpg "")

Skill is placed at maximum range and i didnt move.

on a flat plan:

![](https://i.imgur.com/2iReagg.jpg "")

again, maximum range is the middle of the AOE thats been placed.

As to guardian, i was refering to guardians bow, and not staff.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > Im sorry but if pet death would get changed to actively punish the ranger, it would be a terrible nerf to rangers. Our pets are idiots and often get killed in PVE or other content. So ill only be okay if that change is *wvw* only, which is highly unlikely ANET would do such a thing.

> > > > >

> > > > > Also FYI, other classes have skills that go beyond what their tooltips say. If you are going to "fix" ranger youd better support fixes to other classes ranged weapons.

> > > >

> > > > Just out of curiosity, what other classes have broken tool tips on ranged weapons?

> > >

> > > Any class that has skills that "arc" as projectiles. My ele can get outwards to 1500 or greater with some of her staff skills(for sure goes way beyond max range as ive had to move nearly 300 unites or more to cast some of her AOE skills), My thiefs shortbow(and ranger) has been able to get out to 1200 from time to time. Guardian fires a little straighter so while it can extend beyond its range, its not as common, nor as easy to do. Pretty sure warrior does as well, but i havent used a longbow on a warrior in so long.

> > >

> > > Its not a broken tooltip either, its how projectile skills work that have arcs to their animations.

> > >

> >

> > You cannot get 1,500 or greater with staff Ele, you can literally watch the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range. They have a blast radius, which is why they can hit things even if you get an "out of range" display. Guard staff is the same now, the projectiles blow up at 1,200 range, only because of the blast radius can they hit outside of 1,200 range.

> >

>

> I just tested it, i was getting a range of 1400 with eles earth projectile which has no blast radius.(placed an AOE at max range and watched projectiles shoot well over the middle point of the AOE which is where they base their range off of.) only the slightest incline, though the mob was also standing on a incline. Mob was at 1500 units, and when i switched to fire it was getting hit. probably could have hit farther if i would walked up the hill a little more.

>

> second test:

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/4IpwCAh.jpg "")

>

> Skill is placed at maximum range and i didnt move.

>

> on a flat plan:

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/2iReagg.jpg "")

>

> again, maximum range is the middle of the AOE thats been placed.

>

>

> As to guardian, i was refering to guardians bow, and not staff.

Well thats odd, because I never hit anything in WVW outside of the range indicator, with the exception of the blast radius, and I've never had anyone say anything ever about Ele hitting them from farther than 1,200 range, whereas there are countless posts about ranger hitting from farther than 1,500 range.

Either way, it should be fixed.

>

> Well thats odd, because I never hit anything in WVW outside of the range indicator, and I've never had anyone say anything ever about Ele hitting them from farther than 1,200 range, whereas there are countless posts about ranger hitting from farther than 1,500 range.

its definitely a thing, but its alot harder, and not really noticeable to do in WvW as only the AA for fire, earth and water really hit outside the maximum range. None of the AOEs do, and even the other projectiles dont because they fire in a straight line like rifles do. The GW2 wiki has had the same note on ele skills, that exists on ranger skills for just as long, its a game mechanic with all projectiles that "arc".

> @"Dante.1763" said:

>

> >

> > Well thats odd, because I never hit anything in WVW outside of the range indicator, and I've never had anyone say anything ever about Ele hitting them from farther than 1,200 range, whereas there are countless posts about ranger hitting from farther than 1,500 range.

>

> its definitely a thing, but its alot harder, and not really noticeable to do in WvW as only the AA for fire, earth and water really hit outside the maximum range. None of the AOEs do, and even the other projectiles dont because they fire in a straight line like rifles do. The GW2 wiki has had the same note on ele skills, that exists on ranger skills for just as long, its a game mechanic with all projectiles that "arc".

>

Except the fact that the ranger projectiles gain a lot more distance if fired from say a wall than any other projectile in the game, save the Engi mortar kit, if you use action camera with the mortar kit, they fire a really long distance.

> @"Ruufio.1496" said:

> * **Ranger's pet death and merging with pet not punishing the ranger.** Killing the pet was supposed to be part of the counterplay to ranger and yet it does nothing. If a ranger merges with his pet then he should receive the conditions affecting the pet as well as a health loss relative to the pet current health. And for all other ranger builds, the loss of the pet needs to be more punishing as well.

Players shouldn't get punished for something that is often out of their control. While i agree that soulbeast makes it too trivial to handle the "dead pet issue", core ranger has no reliable tools to protect pets and with the crazy dmg that is flying arround, it is often impossible to keep many not so tanky pets alive and the punishment for dead pets is already quite harsh on non-SB builds.

WOW! SOMEBODY hates Rangers! Jeez. Just delete Ranger then if that's the case. I honestly think Ranger needs some buffing, not nerfing. Druid should be viable in Raids and Zergs, Soulbeast should be kept as a Roamer and PvP, and vanilla Ranger should be usable in everything but just not as good as the elites. Rangers should have the highest amount of range, that's their job. Pets need to be reworked, they should last longer than .5 seconds against an enemy. Why you so mad against Rangers?

I think that other than boon and boon duration slightly lowered rangers are fine. U cant hate on them because the protection up time or block and invulnerability skills because all the other classes exept thief,necro etc have them to and their damage is inline with a lot of specs. Yeah it’s ranged and tho ranger doesn’t mean bow user it’s often a mainstay in the character architecture so why shouldn’t it be effective? Maybe arenet shoulda been sure to add a counter option to ALL classes like a 3 sec invulnerability to projectile only that’s on a low Cooldown. That way u could use it strategically to shut down the ranger ranged damage and if u don’t too bad ur gonna pay and die from ranged