Suggestion: Bank Storage for Food

Incrazed.3165

Wasn't sure where to post this, or if it's been brought up before. But I was just thinking how useful it could be for a storage tab in the bank (maybe a new one, or under material storage) for all food items in the game. This would be useful to be able to quickly scan through the food options available, see the stats they offer, and ultimately save space in the regular bank from all my food and utilities XD.

Would love to get other peoples thoughts on if they think this would be useful and see if maybe the Devs would consider adding it if there is enough support!

Short story: It's almost certainly not possible with the current design for the bank and the cost of overhauling it is apparently prohibitive.

Medium story: the material storage is setup with a limited number of slots, which cannot be repurposed after being designated for a particular item. That gives them a "slot budget" to work with and they are appropriately stingy in assigning new items, especially since it has to last for years and years. All new items have a used in crafting/forging & foods & utilities do not. Besides which, there are a ton of potential foods & utilities.

[According to veteran developer Linsey Murdock](

), there are limits to what can be added to material storage. That's why they haven't added obvious things like ~~doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones~~ crests|medallions, rose quartz, and so on.

>

> It very much has to do with space not clutter (although that did factor in a small way, pre-search bar).

>

> We are technically limited in how much we can put in there, so I try to stay pretty conservative in what I will consider eligible. My general rule of thumb is that the item must be used in crafting recipes, not be a component (something made of multiple other things, though refining is an exception), and it not be a niche item or have a very narrow use (like doubloons).

>

> There are a couple of factors that have led there to be items in material storage that don't follow these guidelines, such as, but not limited to:

> * People that aren't ME and who were not trained on our standards BY ME have added items to material storage that shipped before I found out about it.

> * Once an item has been added to material storage, it cannot be removed EVER. Like, for reals, EVER, unless you want to delete players items on Live. Which is why Xunlai > Electrum continues to linger at the moment. I was TOLD that we would be doing the rest of the disciplines to 500 fast enough to make adding XE to storage for initial launch worth it (adding it at launch before it was used meant that I could organize it with the rest in a more sensible way since we can't reorder storage either).

>

> Players have, in the past, lobbied us to add items to storage and we agreed with the argument enough to add it. So if you guys want to make a strong case for any specific material, I'm willing to listen and explain if the answer is no. You might not like my reason, but at least I'll have one.

>

_text is verbatim; I added the bullets and some white space for legibility_

_edit: fixed a reference to items that originally weren't even going to make it into the updated storage list._

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> >That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

>

> You might want to edit your post as doubloons and Blade shards have a slot in material storage.

(Amalgamated Gemstones were added too)

I'm shocked that IWN didn't know! :p

First sign of the apocalypse? Maybe?

> @"Incrazed.3165" said:

> Wasn't sure where to post this, or if it's been brought up before. But I was just thinking how useful it could be for a storage tab in the bank (maybe a new one, or under material storage) for all food items in the game. This would be useful to be able to quickly scan through the food options available, see the stats they offer, and ultimately save space in the regular bank from all my food and utilities XD.

>

> Would love to get other peoples thoughts on if they think this would be useful and see if maybe the Devs would consider adding it if there is enough support!

IIRC, Linsey Murdock said NO FOOD, among other things, long ago in a post. I'll try to find it.

You can use this to make builds and see food/utility items http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

Edit- Here ya go!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Additions-to-Material-Storage

2nd post...

"Here are some notes on how we chose what:

• No “components” has been my go to up til now but you will notice there are a bunch of things here that might be called “component”. The ways I softened but did not eliminate this rule is two fold: 1) allow a second tier of refinement like dowels and patches which are used cross discipline, 2) allow a number of scribing and cooking components that feel very core to the disciple and are used over and over throughout but did not have OTHER components in their ingredients which are also being added to storage (eg no herbed stocks because base stocks go in).

• No Inscriptions and Insignias. I just felt that there were too many and there were more important things that crafters were more likely to be holding on to for longer.

• No sigils and runes. I believe there are WAY better solutions to this problem.

• No legendary gifts. Too many. Too niche.

• No Piles of Silky Sand. Just consume them, geez.

• No SAB Baubles and Bubble Baubles. I spoke with the SAB designers and this is a technical limitation with how that stuff all works in SAB.

• No WvW Blueprints. I spoke with the WvW designers and they felt that this would create a bad user experience for players who legit use blueprints.

• No Black Lion stuff. There is a combination of technical issues and a lack of desire for those to work that way.

• No Boosters, Tonics, Foods (general food consumables not the core cooking ingredients), utility buff, and potions. Just no. Seriously. There are way too many and there is a whole host of reasons why you just get a no."

For emphasis...

"• No Boosters, Tonics, Foods (general food consumables not the core cooking ingredients), utility buff, and potions. Just no. Seriously. There are way too many and there is a whole host of reasons why you just get a no"

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> >@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> >That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

>

> You might want to edit your post as doubloons and Blade shards have a slot in material storage.

As do amalgamated gemstones

3 for 3 on that one!

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > >That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

> >

> > You might want to edit your post as doubloons and Blade shards have a slot in material storage.

>

> (Amalgamated Gemstones were added too)

>

> I'm shocked that IWN didn't know! :p

>

> First sign of the apocalypse? Maybe?

>

Maybe?

It happened to have been true when it was first posted.

I've fixed it to fit the present; thanks to all who noticed.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of different food out there. I'm not sure adding them to material storage would in fact make things any easier. And there are other items I'd putting in higher priority to have a storage slot than food.

What could be nice is to designate different storage tabs for different types of objects (similar to how there are different inventory bags). So in that case, you just double click on the food, and it goes to the food storage tab, double click on a weapon , goes to the weapon storage tab, etc. That way at least, if you get a new type of food, it gets put in the right place instead of needing to scroll down to the correct tab.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > >That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

> >

> > You might want to edit your post as doubloons and Blade shards have a slot in material storage.

>

> (Amalgamated Gemstones were added too)

>

> I'm shocked that IWN didn't know! :p

>

> First sign of the apocalypse? Maybe?

>

I'm certainly prepping my zombie bunker.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > >That's why they haven't added obvious things like doubloons, blade shards, and even amalgamated gemstones.

> > >

> > > You might want to edit your post as doubloons and Blade shards have a slot in material storage.

> >

> > (Amalgamated Gemstones were added too)

> >

> > I'm shocked that IWN didn't know! :p

> >

> > First sign of the apocalypse? Maybe?

> >

>

> I'm certainly prepping my zombie bunker.

I’m thinking that’s a really good plan!