• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > > @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> > > > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > > > I'd really like to have a confirmation about this from Anet otherwise I do not believe anything you wrote here, OP.

> > > > Also, the statement made by other posters that there has been the same issue weeks ago is not trustworthy unless you show us official ban windows/messages.

> > >

> > > This was the first time ever it happened to me I was the only other one that has posted. Do you really think in 11 years then this happens I would think to take a screen? I was dumbfounded. Whether you believe it or not it is happening and not just to the 2 of us.

> >

> > Screenshot of an official statement that your ban resulted from spamming guild ad or it didn't happen!

> >

> >

>

> I don't know the OP; they haven't been on the forums much. But @"DivaCeryn.2673" has a long posting history. They are omnipresent in discussing gold-earning techniques here & on Reddit. I'm willing to take their word that (a) they were suspended, that (b) it happened while they were recruiting, that © they aren't likely to have used untoward language or spammed more maps than usual.

>

> That doesn't mean I agree that there's an issue. It does mean I'm keeping an open mind about whether there's been a change in ANet policy or maybe the GM team has a new person that is taking their anti-spam responsibilities too far. The main reason I doubt it's an official change is that it's inefficient to change how rules are enforced without first letting the community know. To get people to slow down at stop signs, the cops do both: ticket more violators **after** publicizing that they will be handing out more violations.

>

> I think the OP and others who have experienced need to find out what support says. And probably ask for the issue to be escalated, so that someone can double check whether this is really intended by ANet or if it's an accident of ... something else.

>

>

Thank you very much Ill!

> @"TokenG.7863" said:

> Why do people automatically go into judge, jury, executioner mode. Nobody asked you to believe what they're telling you. They're just telling you what they think they might have done to make you aware and others are replying that it's been noted the same thing has happened to them. Use some common sense and give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody has to prove anything to you with screenshots. If you don't believe them, go do what they said they were doing and report back if you get suspended too... and get trolled about lying about it. I've never ran into OP or seen his recruitment messages, but I have met Diva on a few occasions and she is good ppls. She wouldn't have any reason to make that up. Some of you trolls need to get some maturity and get over yourselves.

And Thank you Token.

I did file a support ticket the next day got back the automated response filled it out the next day heard back asking for details of when and what I was doing when it Happened. That was almost or over 10 days ago and have heard nothing more. Ill do you really think it's a new person not really investigating before doing something? You know me I never come here unless it's a real issue or problem.

I do have another question for you Ill. We have talked several times in the past about some things not working as anet intended could this be a glitch of some sort or yet again something not working as intended or as you said a new person working that isn't really investigating completely? I'm really surprised I've never heard anything more back on my ticket and have updated or asked 3 more times after the one response I did get.

> @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> I did file a support ticket the next day got back the automated response filled it out the next day heard back asking for details of when and what I was doing when it Happened. That was almost or over 10 days ago and have heard nothing more. Ill do you really think it's a new person not really investigating before doing something? You know me I never come here unless it's a real issue or problem.

I think they likely put in a system that watches for activity of Lines of identical text being transmitted in a short time period, especially via map chat. Sort of how the LFG tool will lock you out of it if you use the same message over and over while entering the lfg queue. Probably designed to stop bots from spamming channels for gold selling etc. I don't think this is a case where someone was reported and a CS member jumped on it. They don't have that kind of manpower at anet.

I would try coming up with at least 5 or 6 completely different recruitment ads and cycle through them each time you visit a new map. That way you have to visit at least 5 or 6 maps before you repeat the same message over again. It might help.

turning a negative to a positive, this game has always done poorly with giving players or guild leaders an effective way to recruit members for their guild. Jelly stated he runs a WVW guild, knowing him for a long time and also having run a wvw guild recruiting members that have never been in the WvW scene is nearly impossible.

That bring me to this suggestion:

Add a place in the LFG tab for in game guild recruitment, I heard the arguments that it will clutter the LFG with too many tabs etc. But every new map gets a tab an I hardly see some of the tabs used. I tried the WvW tab and that has never worked remove that and a guild recruitment tab. A lot of players say you should be banned for posting ads on the lfg tab but at the same time people advertise Raid runs. same concept.

> This happened to me also about a week and a 1/2 ago wasn't spamming doing a simple guild recruit run. it also happened to 4 other GLs I know. No spam all of us ping once in a map and move on. In 11 years of playing Guild Wars and playing GW2 since launch I have never broken the rules or gotten a suspension. I think you really should look more closely at reports made. I have done recruit runs 3 afternoons a week since Launch of Guld Wars 2. I do know some people like to false report. And I never use map chat for anything other than when I do a recruit run I talk to my guild and most times have map chat off.

> we have 2 recruit messages we use far from spam.

>

> ☯Avalon's Wraiths [AW] est 2008 (450+Members)is Recruiting Vet and New players! 50% Rep Req.★INTL★2 Halls! 69 Gilded! 69 Windswept Haven! FotM/Dun/PvX/Metas/GMs/Site! Discord! Pm for invite!

>

> ☯Avalons Wraiths[AW] 2 Halls (69 Gilded) (69 PoF) Est 2008 ★Recruiting New & Vet. Players, 50% Rep Req to Join the Fun★450+Members★ INTL ★ Site ★Discord★GMs,Metas,FotM, Dun★PM for Invite!

> My Officer's do recruit run's also nothing has happened to them. How else are we supposed to keep our guild active and a live without recruiting?

> I have had several flirtatious, vulgar and rude pm's I don't report these people unless it is really bad I just tend to block them and move on. It could be some one that used to be in your guild. some one that knows you that doesn't like any number of things.

Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

The reason?

Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> > This happened to me also about a week and a 1/2 ago wasn't spamming doing a simple guild recruit run. it also happened to 4 other GLs I know. No spam all of us ping once in a map and move on. In 11 years of playing Guild Wars and playing GW2 since launch I have never broken the rules or gotten a suspension. I think you really should look more closely at reports made. I have done recruit runs 3 afternoons a week since Launch of Guld Wars 2. I do know some people like to false report. And I never use map chat for anything other than when I do a recruit run I talk to my guild and most times have map chat off.

> > we have 2 recruit messages we use far from spam.

> >

> > ☯Avalon's Wraiths [AW] est 2008 (450+Members)is Recruiting Vet and New players! 50% Rep Req.★INTL★2 Halls! 69 Gilded! 69 Windswept Haven! FotM/Dun/PvX/Metas/GMs/Site! Discord! Pm for invite!

> >

> > ☯Avalons Wraiths[AW] 2 Halls (69 Gilded) (69 PoF) Est 2008 ★Recruiting New & Vet. Players, 50% Rep Req to Join the Fun★450+Members★ INTL ★ Site ★Discord★GMs,Metas,FotM, Dun★PM for Invite!

> > My Officer's do recruit run's also nothing has happened to them. How else are we supposed to keep our guild active and a live without recruiting?

> > I have had several flirtatious, vulgar and rude pm's I don't report these people unless it is really bad I just tend to block them and move on. It could be some one that used to be in your guild. some one that knows you that doesn't like any number of things.

>

> Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

> The reason?

> Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

> Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

>

> May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

I think your just trolling. That is not my guild. I do however support this guild and others in posting ads. There is a respectful way to do so. 1 time an hour on each map. You may make a mistake here and there because it happens. Like you said if it bothers you block it. Yesterday we got four players that just got the game and one that moved to our time zone. Some players want to see their options. Some just don't want to be bothered. It is not a perfect system but I do feel guilds try not to effect others play time.>

>

> Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

> The reason?

> Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

> Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

>

> May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

It wasn't me sitting there posting every 5 mins i've never done that. It may have been one of our new officer's not paying attention that was doing something in that map. I've never pinged more than once in a map ever.

> @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

>

>

>

>

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > This happened to me also about a week and a 1/2 ago wasn't spamming doing a simple guild recruit run. it also happened to 4 other GLs I know. No spam all of us ping once in a map and move on. In 11 years of playing Guild Wars and playing GW2 since launch I have never broken the rules or gotten a suspension. I think you really should look more closely at reports made. I have done recruit runs 3 afternoons a week since Launch of Guld Wars 2. I do know some people like to false report. And I never use map chat for anything other than when I do a recruit run I talk to my guild and most times have map chat off.

> > > we have 2 recruit messages we use far from spam.

> > >

> > > ☯Avalon's Wraiths [AW] est 2008 (450+Members)is Recruiting Vet and New players! 50% Rep Req.★INTL★2 Halls! 69 Gilded! 69 Windswept Haven! FotM/Dun/PvX/Metas/GMs/Site! Discord! Pm for invite!

> > >

> > > ☯Avalons Wraiths[AW] 2 Halls (69 Gilded) (69 PoF) Est 2008 ★Recruiting New & Vet. Players, 50% Rep Req to Join the Fun★450+Members★ INTL ★ Site ★Discord★GMs,Metas,FotM, Dun★PM for Invite!

> > > My Officer's do recruit run's also nothing has happened to them. How else are we supposed to keep our guild active and a live without recruiting?

> > > I have had several flirtatious, vulgar and rude pm's I don't report these people unless it is really bad I just tend to block them and move on. It could be some one that used to be in your guild. some one that knows you that doesn't like any number of things.

> >

> > Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

> > The reason?

> > Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

> > Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

> >

> > May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

>

> I think your just trolling. That is not my guild. I do however support this guild and others in posting ads. There is a respectful way to do so. 1 time an hour on each map. You may make a mistake here and there because it happens. Like you said if it bothers you block it. Yesterday we got four players that just got the game and one that moved to our time zone. Some players want to see their options. Some just don't want to be bothered. It is not a perfect system but I do feel guilds try not to effect others play time.>

If I were trolling my language would have been different.

I agree the vast majority of guilds are perfectly respectful and the guild spam is completely innocuous. The stuff that isn't is easily blocked without having to use report.

But when I saw the [AW] tag in the post I quoted (which I understand was not yours) I recognized it immediately.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > > > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > > > I'd really like to have a confirmation about this from Anet otherwise I do not believe anything you wrote here, OP.

> > > > Also, the statement made by other posters that there has been the same issue weeks ago is not trustworthy unless you show us official ban windows/messages.

> > >

> > > This was the first time ever it happened to me I was the only other one that has posted. Do you really think in 11 years then this happens I would think to take a screen? I was dumbfounded. Whether you believe it or not it is happening and not just to the 2 of us.

> >

> > Screenshot of an official statement that your ban resulted from spamming guild ad or it didn't happen!

> >

> >

>

> I don't know the OP; they haven't been on the forums much. But @"DivaCeryn.2673" has a long posting history. They are omnipresent in discussing gold-earning techniques here & on Reddit. I'm willing to take their word that (a) they were suspended, that (b) it happened while they were recruiting, that © they aren't likely to have used untoward language or spammed more maps than usual.

>

> That doesn't mean I agree that there's an issue. It does mean I'm keeping an open mind about whether there's been a change in ANet policy or maybe the GM team has a new person that is taking their anti-spam responsibilities too far. The main reason I doubt it's an official change is that it's inefficient to change how rules are enforced without first letting the community know. To get people to slow down at stop signs, the cops do both: ticket more violators **after** publicizing that they will be handing out more violations.

>

> I think the OP and others who have experienced need to find out what support says. And probably ask for the issue to be escalated, so that someone can double check whether this is really intended by ANet or if it's an accident of ... something else.

>

>

I agree with Illconceived's post. I also know @""DivaCeryn.2673" quite well. I believe she would never post anything that wasn't solidly based on fact. That said, I believe Anet is correct with enforcing an anti-spam policy but I don't believe it is Anet's intent that entering guild recruitment messages in /map chat one time and moving to the next map should be considered spam. If I am correct, then invoking a suspension for issuing recruiting messages in /map chat should be corrected and disallowed. If I am incorrect, I respectfully request Anet to clarify their spam policy to specifically point out recruiting messages are considered spam and disseminate that information. This really wouldn't be an issue if a alternate method of recruiting was formally available. Otherwise, how are guilds expected to sustain themselves and grow if the only available recruiting method is a punishable offense?

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

>

> >

> > Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

> > The reason?

> > Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

> > Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

> >

> > May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

>

> It wasn't me sitting there posting every 5 mins i've never done that. It may have been one of our new officer's not paying attention that was doing something in that map. I've never pinged more than once in a map ever.

Again I will just say this, while the posters in question on this thread may have absolutely been playing by the rules, the guild itself may not have been, and a decent chat filter would likely catch that.

> > @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> >

> > >

> > > Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads for your specific guild.

> > > The reason?

> > > Your ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

> > > Didn't report, because block did the trick, however your specific guild and a small handful of others were really upping the signal to noise, even on empty maps.

> > >

> > > May want to look at that. I didn't report, but I can see why others might have.

> >

> > It wasn't me sitting there posting every 5 mins i've never done that. It may have been one of our new officer's not paying attention that was doing something in that map. I've never pinged more than once in a map ever.

>

> Again I will just say this, while the posters in question on this thread may have absolutely been playing by the rules, the guild itself may not have been, and a decent chat filter would likely catch that.

@mindcircus could you in box message me the name or names of who it was please. As I said we have a couple of new Officer's that could've been not paying attention. We do teach and train them what and what not to do before making them Officer's, we may need to work with them more. But we also have guildies that like to help out too and really don't know what to do, they ask for me or an Officer in chat to talk to this person or they want an invite. I do tell them to please leave that to the Officer's and myself but they get over zealous at times.

Please in box me if you can like i asked so i can see what's going on. I don't want anyone else getting hit with a 3 hour or possibly longer suspension that's just going to make them mad.

> Actually I have muted more than one person posting recruitment ads ...

> The reason?

> [the] ad got posted over and over again on maps I was on. **Usually at intervals of about 5 minutes**. This was specifically egregious on maps where I spent idle time like Fields of Ruin.

Agreed. Regardless of ANet's policies, some recruiters actively harm their guild's reputation with indiscriminate repetition of information-less advertisements. It's one thing to make a run through of popular maps; it's another to cycle through them multiple times with an identical message.

> How else are we supposed to keep our guild active and a live without recruiting?

There are other ways to find new membership. Organize public events, offer training runs, invite the public to guild missions, etc. Mention the guild's name when assisting people in /map. Invite people to run hero challenges whenever you have a group doing that anyhow.

There are several guilds I remember over the years. One from launch years that offered invites to anyone who wanted guild commendations with a note to "feel free to join just for today's guild missions". It grew to 500 people within 4-5 months because lots of people joined, and stayed to participate regularly. Another from launch that had a rude, crude, and just barely socially-acceptable recruitment message, because it was funny and helped give an idea of what everyday life would be like in the guild. It almost goes without saying that guilds like Triple Trouble or [sAND] are well known because of their public events. There's [wiki], which doesn't recruit at all. And guilds that recruit through online training guides or videos.

And, alas there are a couple of guilds I remember because they have the most generic recruitment messages that are spammed across maps as often as the chat filters allow it.

Guild recruitment messages aren't the only way to get fresh blood. They are just the least effort and least effective tool. I encourage guilds to reach out using multiple techniques and make advertisements that help share the guild's personality.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> I was hopping from map to map in pve and dropping guild banners for recruitment. I got suspended for 3 hours. I have a guild recruitment contest I am throwing for the guild. I am going to put up 100 dollars in prizes. I would appreciate if my guild was not suspended.

The forums are not the appropriate place to discuss Customer Support decisions. Please discuss your concerns with CS in a ticket.