get rid of placement matches

Balsa.3951

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> So, what do you think is going to happen if they get rid of placement everyone starts at the same rating? If the premise is that skill has no relationship to rating and placement is all that matters, then how is it going to be any easier to climb in that scenario?

you do realize placements have nothing to do with skill either? its a clusterfuck of silvers queing with plats and it doesn't work outside of the intended Fuck you algorithm anet thought was a good idea to keep everybody 50/50. The main reason the top players have such vast win advantages is because they duo que when they know there will be trashy players on and take advantage of MMRs blindingly shit mechanics.

regardless of what people say the current system in place is awful and does not do anyone any favors besides those taking advantage of it.

I've personnaly never gotten the point of placement games considering you can have +/- 30 rating points in the following games. If this is made to compensate luck/unluck from placement games, then this just proves the 10 placement games have no value.

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> It sounds like what you want is a full skill rating reset. This wouldn't accomplish what you want, and actually I think would have the complete opposite effect. Matches at the start of the season would be complete chaos. You could have completely new ranked players in with people who were legendary previous season.

That is what happens in gold division however. Most people who played at every level will say that bronze/silver and platinum/above are really homogenous in terms of players level. The skill disparity is way too high in gold division.

Complete leaderboard reset is more likely to make it similar for everyone and not only gold players, but that would indeed be too frustrating. Maybe it would be easier to make everyone start at his last rating spot and that's it..

> @"Jwake.7013" said:

> My only real complaint about placements is if you have a disconnect it still counts as a loss for you in placements.

I believe Ben mentioned this before. While they keep appearing as "loss" in your game history, they are not accounted for in the actual rating determination. I am too lazy to look for the post, but I am quite sure it was like this.

> @"Jwake.7013" said:

> My only real complaint about placements is if you have a disconnect it still counts as a loss for you in placements.

this too is a huge problem @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 and has affected me last 2 placements. Is there a way to have 4v5s/D,Cs and afks count as null/void and give players another placement match. We shouldn't be handicapped behind bots, throws and rage quits.

> @"Megametzler.5729" said:

> > @"Jwake.7013" said:

> > My only real complaint about placements is if you have a disconnect it still counts as a loss for you in placements.

>

> I believe Ben mentioned this before. While they keep appearing as "loss" in your game history, they are not accounted for in the actual rating determination. I am too lazy to look for the post, but I am quite sure it was like this.

If that is the case that makes me happy, though I wish there could be some indication then that is indeed what takes place. Because for anyone (like I was) who doesn't already know will be very frustrated otherwise.

> @"Jwake.7013" said:

> > @"Megametzler.5729" said:

> > > @"Jwake.7013" said:

> > > My only real complaint about placements is if you have a disconnect it still counts as a loss for you in placements.

> >

> > I believe Ben mentioned this before. While they keep appearing as "loss" in your game history, they are not accounted for in the actual rating determination. I am too lazy to look for the post, but I am quite sure it was like this.

>

> If that is the case that makes me happy, though I wish there could be some indication then that is indeed what takes place. Because for anyone (like I was) who doesn't already know will be very frustrated otherwise.

Found it. :smile:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/754380#Comment_754380

Totally agree though, they should change the way it's displayed. But, well, you know, content for PVP... :trollface:

Edit: Yay, quicker than the dev! :grimace:

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Megametzler.5729" said:

> > @"Jwake.7013" said:

> > My only real complaint about placements is if you have a disconnect it still counts as a loss for you in placements.

>

> I believe Ben mentioned this before. While they keep appearing as "loss" in your game history, they are not accounted for in the actual rating determination. I am too lazy to look for the post, but I am quite sure it was like this.

This is right. If someone DC's during a placement match more more than 90 seconds, only the person who DC'd loses skill rating. But it still shows as a loss in the UI. Players who use gw2effiency have also confirmed this in the past.

> This is right. If someone DC's during a placement match more more than 90 seconds, only the person who DC'd loses skill rating. But it still shows as a loss in the UI. Players who use gw2effiency have also confirmed this in the past.

thanks for the confirmation.

> @"rank eleven monk.9502" said:

> > @"SplendaDaddy.6980" said:

> > > @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> > > > @"SplendaDaddy.6980" said:

> > > > > @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> > > > > All start from the rank pts wouldnt be fun at all.** I let my nephew do my placement matches last season, his first time playing gw2, placed silver 2. **After that I won 15 games in a row, took 18 games to reach gold 3 where I belong. Do you think the ppl I played against those matches had fun, for them I was this unkillable warrior that run into fights and kills everybody, and you need at least 4 ppl to kill. Seriously this may be the origin of the nonsense "nerf pls op" we see in the forums. Your Idea would lead to an even longer placament matches where plats are placed with silvers till they all reach the right rank ruining everybody experience.

> > > >

> > > > Account sharing....Neat.

> > >

> > > The kid doesnt even play the game lol

> > >

> > > Report I shared my account during a weekend, and this happens 2,3 times/year when my sister come to visit me.

> > >

> > > I will tell you more, I even gave him a level 1 character so he could level it, next level acc sharing

> >

> > The "kid" did your placement matches, that is account sharing.

> As far as I understood he was playing on the same PC. That is technically not account sharing

LOL. My understanding of the word "share" if you are not the one playing the account then you have shared that account with another. What exactly do you call sharing? :astonished:

> @"SplendaDaddy.6980" said:

> > @"rank eleven monk.9502" said:

> > > @"SplendaDaddy.6980" said:

> > > > @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> > > > > @"SplendaDaddy.6980" said:

> > > > > > @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> > > > > > All start from the rank pts wouldnt be fun at all.** I let my nephew do my placement matches last season, his first time playing gw2, placed silver 2. **After that I won 15 games in a row, took 18 games to reach gold 3 where I belong. Do you think the ppl I played against those matches had fun, for them I was this unkillable warrior that run into fights and kills everybody, and you need at least 4 ppl to kill. Seriously this may be the origin of the nonsense "nerf pls op" we see in the forums. Your Idea would lead to an even longer placament matches where plats are placed with silvers till they all reach the right rank ruining everybody experience.

> > > > >

> > > > > Account sharing....Neat.

> > > >

> > > > The kid doesnt even play the game lol

> > > >

> > > > Report I shared my account during a weekend, and this happens 2,3 times/year when my sister come to visit me.

> > > >

> > > > I will tell you more, I even gave him a level 1 character so he could level it, next level acc sharing

> > >

> > > The "kid" did your placement matches, that is account sharing.

> > As far as I understood he was playing on the same PC. That is technically not account sharing

>

> LOL. My understanding of the word "share" if you are not the one playing the account then you have shared that account with another. What exactly do you call sharing? :astonished:

When you give you acc name and password and ppl can access your account from anywhere they want

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > @"UfoCoffee.2084" said:

> > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > It sounds like what you want is a full skill rating reset. This wouldn't accomplish what you want, and actually I think would have the complete opposite effect. Matches at the start of the season would be complete chaos. You could have completely new ranked players in with people who were legendary previous season.

> > > >

> > > > We've talked about changing the soft mmr reset between seasons to be even softer. We probably don't want to remove reset all together, otherwise we'd see quite lot of accusations of unfairness.

> > >

> > > This makes sense. Although It would be nice to see everyone start in bronze and then you'd see the good players climb and carry out of low rating to prove all the people who say it's impossible are wrong.

> >

> > I'm doing this on stream next season. On a core account.

> > Edit; in solo queue.

>

> Do it on Ele and you got yourself a viewer lol

>

>

+1 -- would watch if you play Ele.

> It sounds like what you want is a full skill rating reset. This wouldn't accomplish what you want, and actually I think would have the complete opposite effect. Matches at the start of the season would be complete chaos. You could have completely new ranked players in with people who were legendary previous season.

>

> We've talked about changing the soft mmr reset between seasons to be even softer. We probably don't want to remove reset all together, otherwise we'd see quite lot of accusations of unfairness.

so why me as a vet all seasonsplayer have to play with new comers or below gold players?? your statement is a flop, you are a flop you killed pvp and now you killed fractals as well with the instabilities

> @"Aktium.9506" said:

> > @"Jwake.7013" said:

> >I wish there could be some indication then that is indeed what takes place

> You can check the rating gain/loss for placement matches on GW2 Efficiency. Even though it doesn't show in game it's there.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/OYGh2dg.png "")

>

>

That's how i suspected the placement games would work, but it makes litterally no sense then. if we do have 10 placement games, all 10 should have the same impact. It makes no sense to have first 3 games have a +/-200 range, luck is entirely involved.

> @"Abazigal.3679" said:

> That's how i suspected the placement games would work, but it makes litterally no sense then. if we do have 10 placement games, all 10 should have the same impact. It makes no sense to have first 3 games have a +/-200 range, luck is entirely involved.

Probably some volatility shenanigans in the placement match algorithm. I dunno man. You could always ask Ben for an explanation and see if he knows what's causing it.