Please monitor map chat its out of control.

Tiviana.2650

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> All the time the internet deem being rude or offensive something to be celebrated and not condemned then it will just get worse.

Well, I just witnessed filthy language with (to my understanding) some homophobic content - and when I criticized it, I was the one being called "rude." I think that you can express yourself in ways other than sounding like you were raised in the gutter or sounding like you needed anti-aggression therapy. Those are the two things I have seen increasing lately in GW2 to an extent that I have not witnessed in this game before.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> I would say the worst thing is to even say a word to them.

Truer words were never ... posted?

The results of engaging with anyone acting on the internet in a way that a preponderance of people from a _culture_ might find offensive is mostly going to result in escalation, not the opposite. This is true regardless of whether the "offender" is looking for confrontation or not. If confronted, the normal reaction is to push back. That may not hold true in a non-internet context. A lot of people behave one way when there are consequences to their behavior, and another when there are few to no consequences.

Most of the consequences that societies use to encourage civil behavior don't apply on the internet. Most times, the only real consequence in an online game would be deprivation of the privilege to play -- whether temporary or permanent. Other players have little to no power over other players. What power they have is limited to kicking from a group, but that does not apply in map chat.

All of the above is why the best action is to ignore them, whether that's blocking, blocking and reporting or just paying no attention to chat. If you feel the need to protect someone who is being attacked, then whisper them to block rather than engage.

As I mentioned to the last person with this complaint - you might be surprised how effective the block tool is. I block people right away if I find them a nuisance, and frankly I see very little crap in map chat. When I do, I block it and that puts an end to it. The number of people who are actually causing the problem is pretty small.

> @"grouchybhaal.4275" said:

> Ive found map chats to be quiet pleasant since returning from a stint in eso... Want a vile zonechat, have a look over at theres... A bored community ripping into one another because there's no content. Gw2 aint perfect.. But no where as vile as some.

ESO is literally people spamming what they want to sell and sniping at each other, especially in Cyrodil. If you turn on voice chat people really get explicit. I am no wilting violet, but my ears were burning. Chat in GW2 is tame by comparison.

> @"XatraZaytrax.2601" said:

> > @"grouchybhaal.4275" said:

> > Ive found map chats to be quiet pleasant since returning from a stint in eso... Want a vile zonechat, have a look over at theres... A bored community ripping into one another because there's no content. Gw2 aint perfect.. But no where as vile as some.

>

> ESO is literally people spamming what they want to sell and sniping at each other, especially in Cyrodil. If you turn on voice chat people really get explicit. I am no wilting violet, but my ears were burning. Chat in GW2 is tame by comparison.

Very true, very tame... After a 30 minutes in cyrodiil id atleast receive a message to "kys" or something similar.... Why im glad to be back and wondered why i left in the first place.

• ArenaNet Staff

This conversation -- such as it is -- has gone off topic many times. The mods will clean it up to remove useless memes, insults, and the other infractions that have been reported. Closed pending cleanup.

Remember that you can help keep Tyria clean by reporting inappropriate in-game chat. It takes just seconds, and it helps us in identifying problem chat and problem chatters. Posting about such an issue on the forums doesn't really achieve a useful purpose.