Put a message about 15k AP cap under achiev number!

> @"Yannir.4132" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > Well it never says there is a cap anywere so its easy to miss mate.

>

> Fair enough. Still, 1500 days is a long time never to accidentally hear that there's a total daily AP cap. It's more than 4 years of playing every day.

And yet people that hit the cap without realizing something like that exists show up with surprising frequency.

...seriously, we're not talking theory here. Those people do exist in reality. You doubting that doesn't make them disappear.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've hit AP cap to my surprise. I've enjoyed getting my daily thanks to AP. Two gold was great though secondary. I'm really not interested in the reasons for capping APs. All I know is that it really sucks when it runs out. Although I don't plan on jumping ship or anything, logging in everyday is much less likely. Might just be on weekends or when friends jump on. I totally enjoy grabbing achievements as often as I can, but it'll be such slow work to get rewarded, I may never make it to a couple Pinnacle weapon skins. Actually . . .probably never will even get one thanks to this realization of AP cap. That's discouraging for me.

AP catchup seems really weak as a reason for a cap to me though. I would never expect a player who has played longer or more than I to have similar rewards as I in every way. Let this one way of achieving be what it is, I'd say. AP isn't the end all/be all of the game in my opinion. It's a unit of measure and folks who did their dailies get their portion. Only now they don't. The compensation for years of dedication is lessened. And it's no small setback.

I would remove the AP from dailes entirely, gold is enough. What's the achievement in killing 1 dolyak per day? If they are called achievement points, they should prove something. A daily means nothing. Even less is worth 10 APs (when there are tough achievements that reward 1 single AP).

For the folks who have who achieved their dailies for years, I'm pretty sure its an achievement. It's quite the letdown, finding out those days are over.

I was just thinking, for folks who like the AP daily cap for the purpose of catching up: I'm pretty sure when they do catch up and reach their cap, they'll wish there wasn't a cap either.

> @"Terry Bogard.6950" said:

> It's quite the letdown, finding out those days are over.

It's mixed. Some people are relieved.

> I was just thinking, for folks who like the AP daily cap for the purpose of catching up: I'm pretty sure when they do catch up and reach their cap, they'll wish there wasn't a cap either.

Again, some people are happy about it, because they like feeling as if they've done everything. They can't catch up to a moving target.

Disclaimer: at this point, I remain ambivalent. I'd be happy with more AP and I'm happy not to worry I might 'lose' some AP if I miss a day for RL.

> I'm pretty sure when they do catch up and reach their cap, they'll wish there wasn't a cap either.

I reached my cap years ago but anyhow, I'd hate it if they completely removed the cap, because knowing that there's a cap doesn't give me a heart attack if I have to miss a day because of traveling (I'm achievement hunter and last thing I'd want is 10 AP lost forever). I'd rather them just increase the cap by 1500 a year.

> For the folks who have who achieved their dailies for years, I'm pretty sure its an achievement. It's quite the letdown, finding out those days are over.

>

> I was just thinking, for folks who like the AP daily cap for the purpose of catching up: I'm pretty sure when they do catch up and reach their cap, they'll wish there wasn't a cap either.

It wasent the people with low ap that asked for it to get introduced it was the ones at the top of ap hunter ladder that felt forced to play every day and get all the dailies done that wanted it this way.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> It wasent the people with low ap that asked for it to get introduced it was the ones at the top of ap hunter ladder that felt forced to play every day and get all the dailies done that wanted it this way.

We don't actually know the reasons. All sorts of people asked for a cap, not just the people at the top of the leaderboards.

And it's very unlikely that ANet would spend resources and some of their social capital to please that tiny fraction of players who is anywhere near the cap.

> For the folks who have who achieved their dailies for years, I'm pretty sure its an achievement. It's quite the letdown, finding out those days are over.

>

It might be an achievement, but it sure doesn't feel nearly as much of an achievement to me than a lot of the other achievements (that give a lot less ap).

To give you a perspecitve: Just yesterday I finally hit the point where I have more permanent achievement points than daily ones (as in: I crossed the 30k total ap threshold). I've been slowly advancing on those 30k points over the last few months, and every point I have gained did feel more meaningful for me than before. Just going along a list of simple daily chores like "gather in this part of the world, view a vista in that part of the world, go wait for a warg or harpy in wvw" doesn't feel like an achievement to me at all, it's just a list of chores (and quick, almost automatic ones at that most of the time ... I still do them because those 2 gold are easy money, but that's it).

Personally I feel that 15k daily achievement points is very generous, as it lets people move quite far along the achievement rewards for not much more than showing up in game regularly. Sure, the permanent achievements are also a very mixed bag, but still, they are all awarded for playing a variety of stuff in game. Even the repeatable ones like agent of entropy (which I still complete regularly even though I stopped getting ap for it years ago ;) ) don't have nearly as much impact on the total score as the regular dailies.

That's my point of view on the general subject of "15k ap cap for dailies": I find that's already over-proportional compared to permanent ap.

On the specific subject this thread was started on: while you can find information about the daily ap cap in game (specifically if you mouse over the number of total ap in the ap panel), I agree that this information is hidden and not transparent enough, especially when it comes to the daily completionist achievement (which still tells me I can get 10 ap despite me maxing out months ago). Enhancing the daily achievement ui so it would show 0ap instead of 10 once maxed out like it works for most (if not all) other achievements would be welcome (probably not trivial because of old monthlies though, but it would be a worthy subject to spend some time in in my opinion ;) ).

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> On the specific subject this thread was started on: while you can find information about the daily ap cap in game (specifically if you mouse over the number of total ap in the ap panel),

Actually, the only information we can see there is how many points we've earned from monthlies, dailies, and 'permanent'. There's absolutely no indication that there's a maximum amount that can be gained. Moreover, those who have points from monthlies have to do the math themselves to see 15k AP is some sort of breakpoint.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > It wasent the people with low ap that asked for it to get introduced it was the ones at the top of ap hunter ladder that felt forced to play every day and get all the dailies done that wanted it this way.

>

> We don't actually know the reasons. All sorts of people asked for a cap, not just the people at the top of the leaderboards.

> And it's very unlikely that ANet would spend resources and some of their social capital to please that tiny fraction of players who is anywhere near the cap.

Unlikely? Remember, that they removed ap points from a certain set of achievements based solely on complains of _one_ (albeit very visible) player.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > It wasent the people with low ap that asked for it to get introduced it was the ones at the top of ap hunter ladder that felt forced to play every day and get all the dailies done that wanted it this way.

> >

> > We don't actually know the reasons. All sorts of people asked for a cap, not just the people at the top of the leaderboards.

> > And it's very unlikely that ANet would spend resources and some of their social capital to please that tiny fraction of players who is anywhere near the cap.

> Unlikely? Remember, that they removed ap points from a certain set of achievements based solely on complains of _one_ (albeit very visible) player.

>

Yes, unlikely. They are a business. They aren't ever going to do something because of a single player, no matter how trusted, respected, or influential. A streamer might catalyze a change (and there are several examples of that), but it's always going to come down to a decision for what works best for the game overall, not for any one of us, not even for a group.

Maybe in that case they were already considering it. Maybe they hadn't thought it through before, and the single (visible) player was able to use their bully pulpit to make ANet aware of the issue.