Will WvW be hit by layoffs?

tom.4051

> @"Straegen.2938" said:

> This layoff doesn't appear to be a general restructuring and it is far more likely that employees working on non-monetized projects are being cut. GW2 is a monetized product so layoffs inside that department are probably minimal or exempt. What it may impact is long term development projects such as expansions if they do not believe an expansion has a high chance of paying off.

While we all just guessing here, my guess is that one of the things that irritated NCSoft to the point of actually doing something was ANet *not* coming up with an expansion to follow the very successful Path of Fire. If you remember, back before anyone had heard of Heart of Thorns, ANet were still claiming the game didn't need expansions and wouldn't have any, until a line in an NCSoft financial let slip the information that one was coming. Both expansions saw a big jump in income for that quarter and, if I recall correctly, the qusrter after that. I would imagine NCSoft would be delighted if ANet could come up with an expansion every 12-18 months.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> What a surprise. They build a large mmo that continually earned a spot within top three and decided to half kitten bare minimum support it with infrequent balance changes, content etc and use money and resources elsewhere for what? To develope mobile or other games that were were a business risk at best? I get to move forward expanding is favourable but putting all its money and rescoursed to give its biggest project the best chance to grow and once it has to a point that it can continue to while expanding to other projects would have been far better plan. Who makes the plans there and what board ok’d these discussions?

ANet's "business partner" is likely the BG server boys. Elite players who dictate the course of the game and more importantly keep the rest of the "little people" in line. Any discussion about the business would be filtered through BG, and BG would give their up or down vote. The core of the player-base are pawns and used as money reserves.

> @"Elizabeth Reed.9173" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > What a surprise. They build a large mmo that continually earned a spot within top three and decided to half kitten bare minimum support it with infrequent balance changes, content etc and use money and resources elsewhere for what? To develope mobile or other games that were were a business risk at best? I get to move forward expanding is favourable but putting all its money and rescoursed to give its biggest project the best chance to grow and once it has to a point that it can continue to while expanding to other projects would have been far better plan. Who makes the plans there and what board ok’d these discussions?

>

> ANet's "business partner" is likely the BG server boys. Elite players who dictate the course of the game and more importantly keep the rest of the "little people" in line. Any discussion about the business would be filtered through BG, and BG would give their up or down vote. The core of the player-base are pawns and used as money reserves.

>

>

How can BG be elite players if they are so disappointing to fight in 1v1s? I'm kind of glad most of my fights with them are 1v5 for more. Only way for there to be any challenge against them.

How about if they want to monetize WvW they create an expansion that caters to WvW? I'd buy an expac that had a third updated BL, alliances, new WvW items, streamlined/smoother processing to reduce lag, and perhaps as a super secret treat an exclusive legendary weapon set earned through WvW play.

> @"Aplethoraof.2643" said:

> So many GW2 insiders, you'd think that half the WvWvW community worked at Anet.

>

> Get real. WvWvW will be fine. Game modes aren't hit by layoffs, failing projects (some of Anets mobile projects likely) are.

I find this funny because today the WvW Warclaw stream was effected by the layoffs. Just saying that we don’t need to “get real” to see that In some way it will effect us even if it’s by late announcements due to meetings. Morale effecting productivity, and the amount of ppl able to work on patching issues that may come with Warclaw.

> > What a surprise. They build a large mmo that continually earned a spot within top three and decided to half kitten bare minimum support it with infrequent balance changes, content etc and use money and resources elsewhere for what? To develope mobile or other games that were were a business risk at best? I get to move forward expanding is favourable but putting all its money and rescoursed to give its biggest project the best chance to grow and once it has to a point that it can continue to while expanding to other projects would have been far better plan. Who makes the plans there and what board ok’d these discussions?

>

> ANet's "business partner" is likely the BG server boys. Elite players who dictate the course of the game and more importantly keep the rest of the "little people" in line. Any discussion about the business would be filtered through BG, and BG would give their up or down vote. The core of the player-base are pawns and used as money reserves.

>

>

Who told? I want names :angry:

>

> Elite players ....

LOL, in GW2.

It was pretty clear to me from the press release that ANet was working on a few other titles yet to be released. Development on those titles has now stopped and the folks working on those titles are getting laid off. They also stated that development and support of GW2 will continue. Don't know where all the doom and gloom is coming from. I doubt any of the people working on the other titles were working on WvW so I don't see the connection that it will affect Alliances or other WvW projects.

As much as I really, really dislike the idea of mounts in WvW, it at least shows that WvW development continues which shows that probably work on Alliances continues.

The question shouldn’t be whether or not layoffs will effect WvW. The question should be, how much has WvW been neglected already due to these “side” projects. That’s what should be pissing people off. It’s painfully obvious that there was/is a serious disconnect between the WvW community and devs. The question is why has this been so.

I personally don’t see this ever changing, and highly doubt I would ever come back to the game.

> @"juno.1840" said:

> The layoffs on the other projects may bring renewed development back to GW2 -- no more distractions so to speak.

^

NCsoft axed Anet's (so unproductive you never heard of it) mobile division. Which like living story, is where WvW money was spent.

If anything this means more focus on gw2

Hmm again ppl said that we WvW ppl wouldn’t be effected...but just an FYI the mount has been postponed to the 5th. Rightly so, they all need time to process. Just don’t think for one sec that it wont effect our commUnity because it already has. Gaile being part of that.

Anet employees my love to you and your families.

> @"Calisanna.8732" said:

> Hmm again ppl said that we WvW ppl wouldn’t be effected...but just an FYI the mount has been postponed to the 5th. Rightly so, they all need time to process. Just don’t think for one sec that it wont effect our commUnity because it already has. Gaile being part of that.

>

> Anet employees my love to you and your families.

don't wanna be rude but what's the worst case scenario for wvw? no new maps? no wvw-dedicated class balance? no new content? no devs vs players forum discussions? alliance postponed? performance still lagging? It's typicall day for us, so one big whatever ...

Sorry to read about this, just because of the impact this will have on the employees getting laid off.

And even if it is down to a skeletal crew after this, the game will continue to hobble on for several more years. WvW will probably stay as-is from here on out, with maybe a very few minor tweaks. PvE will be the only thing consistently bringing in enough money to fund the skeletal crew, so that will be the only focus for the time being, imo. And even that focus will become less with time.

GW2 is around 7 years old, which is considered quite old for most mmorpgs….so this should really be no huge surprise.

I'll stick around, as I have too many friends here, the guilds I belong to are wonderful, and I have played since release, so might as well go for as long as is viable. As long as I still have fun....that's the only key. :)