SAB HYPE TRAIN !!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

>

> To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

> @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

> >

> > To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

>

> I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

>

I believe he stated it himself.

If I am wrong, so be it. Either way it was a huge loss

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > > Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

> > >

> > > To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

> >

> > I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

> >

>

> I believe he stated it himself

I also believe that it should be added that while SAB was indeed Josh's brainchild, and I am grateful for him having the passion and the confidence to bring it to his boss as an actual release way back when. SAB was always a team effort, a small team, but still a team. He also didn't create it entirely on his own time, him and the couple of other people involved created a prototype on their own time IIRC, but after the original April fools release was internally greenlit it was on company time.

As such, I am curious if some of the OG SAB "crowd" still works at ArenaNet? Rather than worry about something that has already happened. I don't expect to get any new worlds, the blog written by Josh when it came back as a festival pretty much dashed my dreams in that regard and I am a realist at heart, but it would be nice to know that some people responsible for creating this unique piece of MMO content still work at ArenaNet.

> @"Crise.9401" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > > > Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

> > > >

> > > > To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

> > >

> > > I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

> > >

> >

> > I believe he stated it himself

>

> I also believe that it should be added that while SAB was indeed Josh's brainchild, and I am grateful for him having the passion and the confidence to bring it to his boss as an actual release way back when. SAB was always a team effort, a small team, but still a team. He also didn't create it entirely on his own time, him and the couple of other people involved created a prototype on their own time IIRC, but after the original April fools release was internally greenlit it was on company time.

>

> As such, I am curious if some of the OG SAB "crowd" still works at ArenaNet? Rather than worry about something that has already happened. I don't expect to get any new worlds, the blog written by Josh when it came back as a festival pretty much dashed my dreams in that regard and I am a realist at heart, but it would be nice to know that some people responsible for creating this unique piece of MMO content still work at ArenaNet.

Agreed, he had a small team which then carried into the living world. To be honest, I’d still expect others to have the talent to continue the work

For those interested in SAB's past and future, here's a thread linking to Josh Foreman discussing it in his stream:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/b4lzu4/josh_foreman_talking_a_bit_about_sab_why_each/

The poster's summary is: >

> with the announcement of the SAB festival there is obviously talk about World 3. This is not news to the ex-dev of that little project and we actually had a window of opportunity to ask him on his stream.

>

>

> (if the link doesnt put you on the right mark, its 07:27:37)

>

> Anyway, this is after Josh got laid off and he is not in the best condition in this stream. So he rambles a bit about stuff but they are valuable informations until we hit the NDA wall.

>

> Personally I think its great to hear that the head of the team responsible for the festivals including SAB just loves the SAB and would love to get more content out for it. Yet I can understand that Anet didnt really do a good job monetizing it and with the effort that Josh and his coworkers had to put into it, I dont see any fast resolution (especially with the new team groupings after the layoffs)

>

> ALSO hey if you like the guy, he's doing a book. He is about to sell it too. It's sounding massive. Check it out if its your stuff or not.

tl;dw appears to be:

* ANet loves SAB, too.

* It's just not a good use of their resources to developer W3 (let alone W4).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

> tl;dw appears to be:

> * ANet loves SAB, too.

> * It's just not a good use of their resources to developer W3 (let alone W4).

>

I would add to that also that SAB was never designed to be effectively monetized (which I believe Josh mentioned was selfish on his part).

In spite of the common misconception that Tribulation mode was designed to sell infinite continue coins that I am sure most people will never give up on... even though IWBTG and stuff like Kaizo levels in Mario exist and are quite popular among a certain crowd.

Also, since you went ahead and linked directly to his personal stream here, I'll link to something as well. Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2 in particular from 2013 is starting to get lost to time. I think its worthwhile to break the sort of unwritten rule that people seemed to have about linking to these two blog posts from Josh (his personal blog) in 2013, especially since he is no longer at ArenaNet (basically back in 2013, the people that found these blog posts didn't want to get Josh into any trouble).

The short version: between W1 (the original April Fools release) and W2 (Back to School) SAB went from an example of content that increased player retention to content that had "dismal" numbers with W2, relative to the exceptional numbers of W1 according to Josh. This happened because of a perfect storm of circumstances that I don't believe any one party can be blamed for in particular.

* http://joshuaforeman.blogspot.com/2013/09/epic-weekend.html

* http://joshuaforeman.blogspot.com/2013/09/dealing-with-criticism.html

@"Crise.9401"

Thanks for the additional info and links.

(I learned a lot, including confirming some suspicions I had and proving some of them wrong. Good stuff.)

One minor correction...

> Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2

The old forums are available in full at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/

I find it easier to use Google (or Bing, I suppose) to search. You can even choose to download the whole thing. (under a gig of data, but requires MySQL)

In particular, there are 7 pages of links to Foreman's posts:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Josh-Foreman-8250/showposts

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> @Crise thanks for the additional info and links.

>

> One minor correction...

> > Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2

> The old forums are available in full at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/

>

> I find it easier to use Google (or Bing, I suppose) to search. You can even choose to download the whole thing. (under a gig of data, but requires MySQL)

>

> In particular, there are 7 pages of links to Foreman's posts:

> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Josh-Foreman-8250/showposts

>

I recalled there being some archival project of the old forums, but I couldn't find it quickly while I was writing that post so I gave up on looking for it :smile:. Thanks for linking it.

> @"Crise.9401" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Crise thanks for the additional info and links.

> >

> > One minor correction...

> > > Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2

> > The old forums are available in full at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/

> >

> > I find it easier to use Google (or Bing, I suppose) to search. You can even choose to download the whole thing. (under a gig of data, but requires MySQL)

> >

> > In particular, there are 7 pages of links to Foreman's posts:

> > https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Josh-Foreman-8250/showposts

> >

>

> I recalled there being some archival project of the old forums, but I couldn't find it quickly while I was writing that post so I gave up on looking for it :smile:. Thanks for linking it.

The bit that always concerned me was the “forum posting class”. I mean Josh did a fab job of communicating during the debacle of w2, but it sums up Anets consistently dire communication policy that devs arent as free to talk as they should be., esp as they outrightly said afterwards no such policy on training to post on forums existed.

Id rather devs posted with honesty and passion like he did than never at all. (Assuming they wish to )

> @"Mark Katzbach.4680" said:

> Explore two worlds of excitement, peril, and educational entertainment to earn holographic weapons and a variety of loot.

Welp... no world 3 this year...

[Mark Katzbach notes about the incoming SAB](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72311/game-update-notes-march-26-2019#latest "https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72311/game-update-notes-march-26-2019#latest")

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > @"Mark Katzbach.4680" said:

> > Explore two worlds of excitement, peril, and educational entertainment to earn holographic weapons and a variety of loot.

>

> Welp... no world 3 this year...

>

> [Mark Katzbach notes about the incoming SAB](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72311/game-update-notes-march-26-2019#latest "https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72311/game-update-notes-march-26-2019#latest")

>

Not unexpected in the slightest, sadly.

However, what I am about to follow that up with is probably the most ungrateful sounding comment ever... even though, they actually added some content in the box (i.e. new upgraded skill unlocks and adventures, unclear if they are tied to each other... I presume yes), which was more than I would have expected. But, this means that whatever may have been previously planned for the mega bomb and boomerang (we know the mega bomb has existed in some form since the initial SAB release, since there is a statement saying that the original SAB bomb finisher uses the animation for last bomb upgrade from way back when it was last introduced).

So, that is an official confirmation that whatever may have been previously planned that the devs never got around to adding in later worlds (in terms of these two upgrades) is now, well officially off the table if you pardon the meme reference.

At the end of the day it is not a big deal, as long as the way those upgrades are earned in the worlds that **do** exist is implemented in a cool and impactful way, but it does reinforce the idea of whole new worlds are very unlikely going forward as they have now officially shifted into adding much more bite sized pieces of stuff inside the box which takes stuff that was presumably originally intended for the following unavailable worlds. (In short rather than keep these things in their back pocket in the off chance that they may be able to execute on something closer to the original vision in the future this shift implies a degree of giving up on the possibility of that happening, however, slim that may have been).

Bottom line though, I am happy for any content changes because it gives me more stuff to do. However, also slightly melancholic because it involves stuff previously intended for W3-4, because of the implication it may carry, rather than something completely unique.

I can understand the troubles in SAB developement, but I will not be sad, if they add everything that was planned for w3/4 in w1/2, sure it's not the same thing, and I can concede that the priority is living world episodes. If it stay like that, mwelp it's a shame, but I will deal with it. I'm very happy they added new things like those adventures and weapons.

And I'm starting wondering if the reason why w3/4 aren't made is that they lost any knowledge related to it? Maybe they don't know how to code/modelize it anymore?

Jusy want to kill vanquish and earn my 10k baubles end of the game reward. D: Eventually saving Mot.. Hmm miya.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> And I'm starting wondering if the reason why w3/4 aren't made is that they lost any knowledge related to it? Maybe they don't know how to code/modelize it anymore?

Check out the links posted further up in this thread. It appears that the main reason why w3/4 fell off the table really is the fact that the w2 release did not come anywhere close to fulfilling expectations back in 2013.

Well, they've added some new items to work for this year, so I'm looking forward to that. :) Disappointed as always that W3/4 aren't released (and with Josh's departure, I fear we may never see them now), but the new SAB adventures sound interesting. I expect they'll award Furniture Coins though; as much as I'd like them to reward Crimson Tokens, I expect that might trivialize the collection. (Wouldn't bother me if it did, but I think a lot of other players would howl with displeasure.)