Humming Bird Skimmer MountFit Discussion

> @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> I like the mount EXCEPT, where the player is sitting on it. It looks odd to be so far back, weirdly on the tail of a bird. It's just not where a saddle would be if you were to ride a large humming bird.

>

> https://i.pinimg.com/736x/08/6e/67/086e6710a448932f5f51acc5d7a4090b--cartoon-movies-movie-characters.jpg

>

>

Asking for realism on saddle placement, when one is RIDING a GIANT HUMMINGBIRD? The irony. (Although I get what you mean; just remember, it's all fantasy!)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of the skin for three reasons:

* hummingbirds actually fly, they don't fit the Skimmer hover above the ground role at all

* the sound it produces is really annoying, second maybe to the (censored) Dreamer

* the Skimmer itself as a mount is very rarely used because aside from traversing water surfaces it's borderline useless compared to other mounts

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> Asking for realism on saddle placement, when one is RIDING a GIANT HUMMINGBIRD? The irony. (Although I get what you mean; just remember, it's all fantasy!)

That argument right there is the exact reason I usually gravitate towards Sci-fi over fantasy; because people are soo willing use "it's fantasy" as a get-out-of-jail-free card for poor design, not just in visual design, but in all aspects of fantasy. There's only soo far disconnected from reality something can get for me before I loose any semblance of interest or investment in it. How am I meant to get invested in character if "It's fantasy" and therefore anything that happens doesn't need explaining, logic or sense to be justified?

Loved one dead? It's fantasy! Just bring them back to life by hoping on one leg and reciting little miss muffet.

Lost all your money? It's fantasy! Just wish your money back.

Have crippling depression? It's fantasy! Just cheer up.

No.

I like the originality of it, a bird is definitely what I pictured the special skin of a the skimmer would be, color me surprised on that front. I still cant justify 2000 gems for a single skin, even if it's a very good quality skin.

I went ahead and tried to get it via black lion keys, and gave up after my stock of 11 keys ran out without any significant payout (not a single skin)

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Pro: Absolutely beautiful, dye channels are perfect, bright colors are plausible but not required, fun animations, real sense of personality in those beady eyes, is not an aquatic beast (hmm, this may be a hint that if we get an underwater mount it won't be a new skimmer skill b/c underwater hummingbird just would be ... wrong ... :) ), looks fantastic from almost any angle.

>

> Con: Looks funky from the angle the owner will see most of the time, behind and above. The shape is just weird from that vantage. And the wings give me motion sickness. Mild so far, but I won't be parking on my skimmer bird, I can feel my tummy tilting towards nausea when I do. A full blur like a RL hummingbird would likely be less of a problem for me but then you'd never see the wings at all and it would look really odd.

+1

pro--I agree. I also find it absolutely beautiful

con--(with some adjustments) +1 (Well Done! to the design team) <3

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

>

> > Asking for realism on saddle placement, when one is RIDING a GIANT HUMMINGBIRD? The irony. (Although I get what you mean; just remember, it's all fantasy!)

>

> That argument right there is the exact reason I usually gravitate towards Sci-fi over fantasy; because people are soo willing use "it's fantasy" as a get-out-of-jail-free card for poor design, not just in visual design, but in all aspects of fantasy. There's only soo far disconnected from reality something can get for me before I loose any semblance of interest or investment in it. How am I meant to get invested in character if "It's fantasy" and therefore anything that happens doesn't need explaining, logic or sense to be justified?

>

> Loved one dead? It's fantasy! Just bring them back to life by hoping on one leg and reciting little miss muffet.

> Lost all your money? It's fantasy! Just wish your money back.

> Have crippling depression? It's fantasy! Just cheer up.

>

> No.

>

You missed my point, but whatever. I don't feel the Hummingbird skin is poor design although know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

> You missed my point, but whatever. I don't feel the Hummingbird skin is poor design although know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Missed your point how exactly? You said that it was ironic how someone was asking for better saddle placement on a hummingbird, and followed it up with "It's all fantasy".

My point is if they're going to put a saddle on a hummingbird, it should be in the correct place, and that the fact it's a hummingbird, and the fact it's a fantasy aren't good enough reasons to dismiss the criticism.

How is a SADDLE on a hummingbird not fantasy? How is RIDING a hummingbird not fantasy? Since both are, then there is no "correct" place for a saddle. It could be on the bird's head and would not be "wrong." That's all I'll say about it because this board is no place for arguments.

Anyway, I hope everyone who wants the skin can get it! I think it's beautiful. I might try a few keys and then buy it if it doesn't drop. Peace, love, and happy gaming!

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > You missed my point, but whatever. I don't feel the Hummingbird skin is poor design although know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

>

> Missed your point how exactly? You said that it was ironic how someone was asking for better saddle placement on a hummingbird, and followed it up with "It's all fantasy".

> My point is if they're going to put a saddle on a hummingbird, it should be in the correct place, and that the fact it's a hummingbird, and the fact it's a fantasy aren't good enough reasons to dismiss the criticism.

Well, it's not a hummingbird from Earth, it's a hummingbird from Tyria. Perhaps, if we put the saddle closer to its head, we could imbalance it or hurt it. Perhaps it's stronger, in the area we put the saddle, to hold things there and a little weaker or sensitive on its chest/back. I dunno. These might sound like excuses for design flaws but I find them- interesting. It's a hummingbird (a huuuuge one!) from Tyria; it might work differently than a hummingbird from Earth.

> How is a SADDLE on a hummingbird not fantasy? How is RIDING a hummingbird not fantasy? Since both are, then there is no "correct" place for a saddle. It could be on the bird's head and would not be "wrong." That's all I'll say about it because this board is no place for arguments.

>

> Anyway, I hope everyone who wants the skin can get it! I think it's beautiful. I might try a few keys and then buy it if it doesn't drop. Peace, love, and happy gaming!

I never said it wasn't fantasy, I don't know why you got the impression I was saying that, nor am I trying to argue with you, but instead explain why I believe that the saddle placement can be criticized.

By all means I wouldn't discourage anyone who likes it from buying it, but I feel it can be improved upon, and bringing up the negative points on any creative work is imperative to raising the standard of any future work done.

> @"Cat Warrior.9240" said:

> Well, it's not a hummingbird from Earth, it's a hummingbird from Tyria. Perhaps, if we put the saddle closer to its head, we could imbalance it or hurt it. Perhaps it's stronger, in the area we put the saddle, to hold things there and a little weaker or sensitive on its chest/back. I dunno. These might sound like excuses for design flaws but I find them- interesting. It's a hummingbird (a huuuuge one!) from Tyria; it might work differently than a hummingbird from Earth.

I appreciate you considering a possible explanation as to why it is the way it is, as it goes back to the original point I made. If that did turn out to be along the lines of Anet's reasoning why the saddle is there, my criticism instead would be less along the lines of the saddle positioning, but instead that the hummingbird's anatomy is slightly uncanny, that for something that I would presume is meant to look pretty, it's shape doesn't quite sit right with me.

> > @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> > I like the mount EXCEPT, where the player is sitting on it. It looks odd to be so far back, weirdly on the tail of a bird. It's just not where a saddle would be if you were to ride a large humming bird.

> >

> > https://i.pinimg.com/736x/08/6e/67/086e6710a448932f5f51acc5d7a4090b--cartoon-movies-movie-characters.jpg

> >

> >

>

> Asking for realism on saddle placement, when one is RIDING a GIANT HUMMINGBIRD? The irony. (Although I get what you mean; just remember, it's all fantasy!)

Oh, thanks for the reminder...I thought this was all real!! **inserteyerollhere** I'm not asking for realism....I'm asking for it not to look stupid, which IMO the current placement is.

• 3 weeks later...