Skyscale mount [Merged]

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> > I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

>

> Post in the Players Helping Players forum and maybe someone there can get you past that story step.

> @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

If im on ill be happy to help you out with that.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wall hugging would be super useful in draconic mons jp. I use my jackal for 90% of my traveling due to it avoiding mobs. I rarely use my raptor. I tried to start using it the other day and the long jumps felt too far and non directional so I'll stay with the jackal.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> > > I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

> >

> > Post in the Players Helping Players forum and maybe someone there can get you past that story step.

>

> > @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> > I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

>

> If im on ill be happy to help you out with that.

I finished Long Live the Lich this afternoon and had some time to keep playing, so I went back to Beast of War and this time I was able to complete it! Taking the time to craft a few pieces of ascended gear, improving my movement skills, and generally being more confident made the difference for me this time. I went on to complete the epilogs too, though I was down to my underwear at the end of the Balthazar one :)

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> The wall hugging would be super useful in draconic mons jp. I use my jackal for 90% of my traveling due to it avoiding mobs. I rarely use my raptor. I tried to start using it the other day and the long jumps felt too far and non directional so I'll stay with the jackal.

The entire area around the jp is locked for mounts, you can't even fly remotely close to it with the griffon (even if you jump off the highest point possible) so the dragon will be off-limits in that area as well. Sadly. If you need the jp, look in the LFG and port up there with the teleport to a friend

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

>I do wish Skimmer was useable to float above All liquids though, lava included, but that Might be asking for too much, I remember it works in Desert Highland though...

For some reason, it can't go over lava outside PoF zones, even though it's clearly supposed to since you can do it in the dwarf ruins just fine. It didn't used to be able to fly on the murder water in Draconis Mons, either.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> >I do wish Skimmer was useable to float above All liquids though, lava included, but that Might be asking for too much, I remember it works in Desert Highland though...

> For some reason, it can't go over lava outside PoF zones, even though it's clearly supposed to since you can do it in the dwarf ruins just fine. It didn't used to be able to fly on the murder water in Draconis Mons, either.

Yeah, that's essentially what I'm referring to, it feels... illogical that it cant do that. I guess it's a lack of backward continuity

It’s likely scavengers causeway map, or east of kourna/west of it. No area has been released that wasn’t visited in guild wars 1 yet. Those three areas are the only ones that’d fit what’s described in the video. If it’s scavengers causeway it’s the fissure of woe map. As it’s been proven Kralkatorrik still has access to the mists and he was closest when certain god died. He definitely has the power to bring it from the mists and corrupt it for the army

Edit:besides Orr

> @"dodgerrule.8739" said:

> It’s likely scavengers causeway map, or east of kourna/west of it. *No area has been released that wasn’t visited in guild wars 1 yet.* Those three areas are the only ones that’d fit what’s described in the video. If it’s scavengers causeway it’s the fissure of woe map. As it’s been proven Kralkatorrik still has access to the mists and he was closest when certain god died. He definitely has the power to bring it from the mists and corrupt it for the army

We never visited the Sandswept Isles in GW1.

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> I wish people would stop asking for mounts to make gliders obsolete. Mounts should *never* be able to utilise updrafts. That's stupid.

It's an interesting observation. And with the most recent mastery ability, you don't even need to choose between starting on a mount or glider: you leap off with the griffon, and if you need to use an upraft, use Bond of Faith, wait 1 second, transition to glider, use updraft, then get back on your griffon.

> @"Genesis.8572" said:

> > @"dodgerrule.8739" said:

> > It’s likely scavengers causeway map, or east of kourna/west of it. *No area has been released that wasn’t visited in guild wars 1 yet.* Those three areas are the only ones that’d fit what’s described in the video. If it’s scavengers causeway it’s the fissure of woe map. As it’s been proven Kralkatorrik still has access to the mists and he was closest when certain god died. He definitely has the power to bring it from the mists and corrupt it for the army

> We never visited the Sandswept Isles in GW1.

>

We did in the djkah inlet mission. The sand isles were where the ships were that we were drestroying

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > if you want to satisfy everyone, here is an idea for a skin:

> > ![](https://imgur.com/Om12t51.jpg "")

> >

>

> What is this Nope you have unleashed upon this innocent page?

I'm lovin' the giant flying Nope..! Who's the artist, @"sorudo.9054" ??

I'd actually really love to have giant Lucas-the-Spiders jumping all over the place at least as a Springer re-skin :lol:

> @"Adenin.5973" said:> > @"kharmin.7683" said:> > > @"Adenin.5973" said:> > > I hope we immediately get a real wyvern skin with this.> > > > Wyverns aren't the same body type as dragons (and some could argue griffons are different than those two).> > > > > > Yeah, I know. I saw it too after looking again at it. A bit of a bummer, makes this the 3rd mount with the griffon skeleton....I agree. I was pretty disappointed to see the six limbs on the new mount because I had originally thought it was just going to be another griffon re-skin. If it were a wyvern body-type, we could get flying bipedal tetrapods..!

If we had wyverns, I think a great premium mount would have been a phoenix because vestigial claws on ducks and cassowaries--not to mention hoatzin chicks and archaeopteryx--are cool. Alulas (bird "thumbs") are a wonderful thing :love:

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/Hoatzin.jpg

Enter: _Jinguofortis perplexus_, the toothed bird that clawed its way through the early Cretaceous 147 MYA:

(Illustration: Chung-Tat Cheung/PNAS, via Smithsonian Institute).Convergent evolution of flight is fascinating--from insects and reptiles (pterosaurs), to dinosaurs (birds) and mammals (bats).

http://www.macmillanhighered.com/BrainHoney/Resource/6716/digital_first_content/trunk/test/hillis2e/asset/img_ch14/c14_fig20.jpg

TL;DRIf it were a wyvern, we could get a phoenix skin :disappointed:

> @"Reincarnatie.7254" said:

> TL;DR

> If it were a wyvern, we could get a phoenix skin :disappointed:

I wish it was a Wyvern too. It would provide more visual variety to mounts. We now have 4 quadruped mounts, 3 of which have the same base skeleton, 2 of which have wings. Getting a bit boring...

Anet also said they wanted the new mount to be compared to a helicopter, and Wyverns are better comparisons to that than dragons are, since Wyverns cannot get a running start, they have no choice but to go straight up. They would be able to use that to justify it being slow on the ground as well.

I don't get the objections to the usage of the griffon skeleton for the skyscale. It's a dragon mount, why does it matter if it uses the griffon rig or not? we gained something new from the griffon rig, it probably saved time and effort on the end of the developers to get us something as cool as this. (For what it's worth, I think players who would have preferred a wyvern mount could actually feel like they lost something because of this. If the developers are willing to put in the extra time by using the skyscale base, remove the legs and modify the wings a bit, then modify ground animations to be legless, i think it might be possible to see a 2000 gem wyvern skin, but it would take quite a bit of resources to do).

> @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

Yes, I am one of those people that like to enjoy a story so I am not about to rush things just so I can unlock the collection. No problem with the gold requirement and I figure the events I can find plenty of zergs for. To me it is storywalled. I would have gladly paid more if it were not for that but there have been very few instances where not having a griffon made something impossible, it just would have been easier if I had one.

> @"Reincarnatie.7254" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > if you want to satisfy everyone, here is an idea for a skin:

> > > ![](https://imgur.com/Om12t51.jpg "")

> > >

> >

> > What is this Nope you have unleashed upon this innocent page?

>

> I'm lovin' the giant flying Nope..! Who's the artist, @"sorudo.9054" ??

>

> I'd actually really love to have giant Lucas-the-Spiders jumping all over the place at least as a Springer re-skin :lol:

honestly i don't know who the artist is, i just searched in google image for spider with wings art and i got this.

here is the link where the picture comes from:

https://fairytailfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Spider

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> People just complain for the sake of complaining. Just a shared skeleton rig doesnt mean the model is close in design and shape as well. Completely ridiculous complaint.

God forbid that I, as an artist and avid player of this game, have input and criticisms on the artistic direction of GW2.

Shared skeleton rig, similar general anatomy, both have chest cavities of similar sizes, similar size legs, with similar length tails. Similar silhouettes. They are indeed close in design and shape.

No, not a "completely ridiculous complaint". An artist's honest opinion, criticisms, and input of the design of the Skyscale and it's design similarity to another existing mount - yes.

> God forbid that I, as an artist and avid player of this game, have input and criticisms on the artistic direction of GW2.

>

> Shared skeleton rig, similar general anatomy, both have chest cavities of similar sizes, similar size legs, with similar length tails. Similar silhouettes. They are indeed close in design and shape.

>

> No, not a "completely ridiculous complaint". An artist's honest opinion, criticisms, and input of the design of the Skyscale and it's design similarity to another existing mount - yes.

But like, that's just a consistent thing that happens in video games. creatures of all kinds have shared animation rigs. the fire elemental, harpy, and flesh reaver all share the same rig and body shape. the awakened abomination and the mordrem vinetooth share a rig and body shape. even on the player side, humans, sylvari and norn share rigs and animation, and with humans and sylvari, similar body proportions. that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure someone can write an entire list of everything that shares a rig in gw2.

nothing is really lost just because the dragon and griffon share a silhouette, sharing the same approximations of body proportions reduces the work load on the animators side, especially when the riggers, skinners, 3d modelers and animators are separate individuals. Especially rigging, that can be a huge pain in the butt. And that reduced workload can give us something great, the skyscale being one of those things. So forgive me if I, as someone who has an undergraduate degree in animation, feel like that is a 'completely ridiculous complaint'. we got something cool that arenanet could produce with a lower budget and time saved. They don't owe us a specific amount of work load per cool thing. If the quality is good (which it is), then what does it matter if time was saved?

that's also not to forgot that aurene was actually using the griffon rig, as opposed to the modified griffon rig that we see for the skyscale, and that they're drawing artistic parallels between the skyscale and aurene (and kralkatorrik too, given the war eternal teaser).

> @"castlemanic.3198" said:

> But like, that's just a consistent thing that happens in video games. creatures of all kinds have shared animation rigs. the fire elemental, harpy, and flesh reaver all share the same rig and body shape. the awakened abomination and the mordrem vinetooth share a rig and body shape. even on the player side, humans, sylvari and norn share rigs and animation, and with humans and sylvari, similar body proportions. that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure someone can write an entire list of everything that shares a rig in gw2.

>

> nothing is really lost just because the dragon and griffon share a silhouette, sharing the same approximations of body proportions reduces the work load on the animators side, especially when the riggers, skinners, 3d modelers and animators are separate individuals. Especially rigging, that can be a huge pain in the butt. And that reduced workload can give us something great, the skyscale being one of those things. So forgive me if I, as someone who has an undergraduate degree in animation, feel like that is a 'completely ridiculous complaint'. we got something cool that arenanet could produce with a lower budget and time saved. They don't owe us a specific amount of work load per cool thing. If the quality is good (which it is), then what does it matter if time was saved?

>

> that's also not to forgot that aurene was actually using the griffon rig, as opposed to the modified griffon rig that we see for the skyscale, and that they're drawing artistic parallels between the skyscale and aurene (and kralkatorrik too, given the war eternal teaser).

You don't need to tell me reusing assets is a common thing in videogames, nor do you need to tell me that doing so saves time and effort. I know. That doesn't change the fact that I would preferred a different rig as I feel it would provide a greater artistic variety and in turn a greater diversity in possible skins for Anet to sell later on down the line. I never said Anet owes us any specific amount of work per update, nor did I say anything was lost by it being a Dragon and not a Wyvern.

It's just constructive feedback based on preferences. What is hard to understand about that exactly?

> You don't need to tell me reusing assets is a common thing in videogames, nor do you need to tell me that doing so saves time and effort. I know. That doesn't change the fact that I would preferred a different rig as I feel it would provide a greater artistic variety and in turn a greater diversity in possible skins for Anet to sell later on down the line. I never said Anet owes us any specific amount of work per update, nor did I say anything was lost by it being a Dragon and not a Wyvern.

>

> It's just constructive feedback based on preferences. What is hard to understand about that exactly?

There's nothing hard to understand about that. That was not what I interpreted from the comment and I apologise for that. Especially since you had previously posted about the wyvern thing (which I forgot about) and that's something that I specifically felt was an alright criticism from a previous comment of mine.