Anyone else get on not to play, but to socialize?

Yep. I've had a more than a few sessions where I've spent it just having convos in chat, and messing around in cities with other people. Or have been playing, and stopped to chat with people. It makes for a nice change of pace in a game that unfortunately concentrates almost solely on combat.

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> Yep. I've had a more than a few sessions where I've spent it just having convos in chat, and messing around in cities with other people. Or have been playing, and stopped to chat with people. It makes for a nice change of pace in a game that unfortunately concentrates almost solely on combat.

I've met a lot of really cool people on GW2. I've recently taken a hiatus from gaming in general and haven't talked to a lot of people that I use to on here. Recent events in life have made me think a lot about these people. I'm currently updating the client so I can go back to that. Real life sucks.

> @"Eldrevy.9147" said:

> I've met a lot of really cool people on GW2. I've recently taken a hiatus from gaming in general and haven't talked to a lot of people that I use to on here. Recent events in life have made me think a lot about these people. I'm currently updating the client so I can go back to that. Real life sucks.

Meeting up with old friends always feels great. Whatever has been going on in life for you, I hope it's getting better, or gets better in time. Sometimes talking to awesome people is all GW2 needs to enable you to do.

That happens to me occasionally, on days when I dont feel like doing dedicated content, I usually get on to chat with guildies, occasionally with friends across the pond via whisper. Most of the time I roam in the beginner areas to point newcomers toward content, or give them some starting advice.

It's nice to relax once in a while, the game likes it's schedules, whether it be WvW, or World bosses, and the like

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> To answer the OP yes, I'm sure there are other ppl who do that . . .

>

> But for me game chat is just like the forum, I'm speaking to the void without any real hope that anyone is listening :p

The vast majority of the playerbase don't reply in chat same way how the majority of people viewing the forums may not ever post anything, but people are listening, and if you hang around long enough, someone will reply. Those are the interactions worth looking for.

I mean, it's pretty hit and miss. Most of the time I feel like I'm playing alongside bots... other times, I'm happily chatting with some cloud cuckoolanders.

Am I looking for social interaction? Not really, but it definately adds to the experience. A silent dungeon can be a boring dungeon.

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > To answer the OP yes, I'm sure there are other ppl who do that . . .

> >

> > But for me game chat is just like the forum, I'm speaking to the void without any real hope that anyone is listening :p

>

> The vast majority of the playerbase don't reply in chat same way how the majority of people viewing the forums may not ever post anything, but people are listening, and if you hang around long enough, someone will reply. Those are the interactions worth looking for.

It was a joke :p

Both? I PvE a lot, but I am in an RP guild that has a weekly rp session. Sometimes that turns into going out into the world to fight things in character, other times it's just chatting in character in the guild hall (though wacky hijinks can happen there too, but of course there's no actual game fighting ... maybe once that guild has the arena, heh ... ) I don't log in merely to randomly talk, though, since my guilds have Discord channels for that.

Totally! :D I'm old, I've been playing this genre since 2002! I still remember sitting in Prontera, Ragnarok Online and the game had this chat room feature so I often only logged on to chat and didn't actually do anything productive! I do that in GW2 too, especially since they nerfed my playground (Istan) lol. Nowadays I either sit in Caledon Forest and encourage newbies to ask me anything (which leads to making new friends most of the time!) or just hide at a remote part of Mistlock and talk to my guildies. :)

No. I come in a game first to play. If I get friends at the top of it (what is my case as I did build up many friends over time in GW2), then nice, but for me, the basic social life is in real life, not in a game.

The problem is that even when you build up friends in game, in most cases, due to different locations (different regions up to different countries), they remain "virtual" friends. So, I find that a game like GW2 gives a nice opportunity to build up virtual friends, who - depending on geographic locations - can become real life friends, but at same time, I also believe that there is a quite high risk to forget socializing in external world, that is the real one we have to live in. Sorry, I have it hard to explain, hope I make sense! :3