Radical key binding

![](http://tinyimg.io/i/TKX3vTe.png "")

This image is the radically altered layout that my key binding has evolved into so far. The rest position is with the left hand's fingers on the SDFG keys and the rationale is to have the more often used skills near the more nimble fingers, hence the reversal of the numbering, which requires some mental gymnastics since the skill bar on the screen cannot be customized (as far as I know).

I find this layout convenient for dagger/dagger elementalist which requires mobility and quick access to profession skills, but I'm discovering some caveats. I'm using skills 4 and 5 more and more and the pinky finger can get confused. Also, the commands for orienting the ballistic machines are systematically reversed.

And of course, with no keys available anymore on the left half of the keyboard, I'm wondering what to bind the mount skills to when I get to level 80, not to mention all the targeting commands when I get into squads. So, this is probably going to evolve again into something different and I might have to start using the function keys again (F1, F2, etc.), as much as I dread this because they are awkward to reach accurately.

Is anyone using a layout that different from the default, or has used one and abandoned it? Am I putting myself at a disadvantage without knowing it?

There is a reason people have used WASD as default since the 90's. This seems incredibly backwards. To me it also feels like the movement keys are too far from the top and top left skills which are pretty important (like weaponswap). Normal humans have short pinkies in comparison to the other fingers, having one twice as long would require some awkward genetics.

I think most people change the default bindings at least a little in this game, the important thing is that it works for you. The only example I can think of where control options put some people at a clear disadvantage is when people rely on keyboard turning instead of mouse turning, because it's so much slower, and even then it's only a problem in timed jumping puzzles.

I'm left-handed so I'm not sure my bindings will help at all for any right-handed players but I moved most things over to the number pad. My weapon skills are on 1-5, heal is on 0 (because it's big and easy to find), utility and elite skills on 6-9, profession skills along the top, weapon swap on +, take target on enter and next enemy (aka tab targetting) on the decimal. Then I use the arrow keys to move and I have jump on right ctrl. Oh and dodge is on a button on the side of my mouse, along with auto-run, F, action-camera toggle and the shared mount key (which is almost always set to the griffon).

I find using the number pad makes it easier to keep track of my position without looking because it's a smaller block of keys. I have my thumb on the arrows (right hand remember) and a finger on each column of keys. If my hand slips sideways I'll feel it because a finger will be on the empty space around the pad and it's not far to reach up or down to check which row I'm on.

The main keyboards number keys are now my menu keys, matching the order they appear at the top of the screen. Mounts are on the rest of that row and wrap around with the beetle and warclaw on ] and [, but I've been thinking about moving those. And other 'non-combat' controls are on the main keyboard too.

It did take some getting used to, when I first changed it I spent a few days just doing simple open-world combat and then slowly built up to more complicated activities. Now I don't even think about it, and I've started using similar setups in other games because it's more comfortable for me.

Personally, I use a MMO mouse called the Razer Naga Chroma (there are other options out there too). It has 12 side buttons for your thumb that mirrors the top row of a keyboard "1" to "=", plus several options with the scroll wheel (2 side clicks and a down click in addition to normal scroll front/back) and other stuff I don't really use. All of its managed through it's driver software.

In game, I've also mapped F1 to F5 to Shift-1 to Shift-5 (much easier and faster to hit shift with my pinky while hitting a mouse thumb button, then stretching a finger up several rows of keys to hit the right Fkey) And I've mapped Weapon swap, auto run, aoe loot, and interact into the mouse. Effectively this gives me full control over my abilities using my mouse.

It takes a huge chunk of activities from an overwhelmed keyboard hand to an underused mouse hand.

There's a learning curve involved. It took me weeks before I could very reliably and instantly hit the right keys with my thumb without looking.

Funny thing, had I tried this mouse in 2013 I probably never would have quit gw2 originally. Instead I picked it up with another mmo in 2016.

@"Dawdler.8521" - It is starting to feel backwards to me too after some use. Time to rethink the whole :)

@"Danikat.8537" - At one point I considered training to control the mouse with my left hand - if it wasn't an asymmetric mouse. Very interesting to know how you use the number keypad. And yes, radical changes take time to get used to. The number of times I blundered big way during chance encounters with world bosses, the days after the rebinding, hilarious :D

@"EmmetOtter.8542" - I've been looking intensely at these gamer mice, wondering if I'm un-casual enough a player to make it worth the investment. Launching attacks while strafing/circling is miserably awkward when done on the keyboard alone. Now thinking that such a mouse can also be super-useful outside game applications.

@"Neage.3579" - Another killer device, wow! And not having to rebind anything in game is a huge advantage, especially if you want different device configurations for various character professions or builds and you can switch layouts in the device driver.

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm back to the rebinding board and some more funny blunders :P