[Suggestion] More practical Options for Female Armour

> @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> > @"MrPhantasia.5924" said:

> > > @"Weindrasi.3805" said:

> > > To those who argue that because it's a world full of magic, we should have even more revealing armor: I offer this counterargument:

> > > I'm a female who deals with imagery of sexualized women in real life every day, in every place. From burger advertising to cars and so on, sex sells. And near-naked female bodies that have been photo-altered to impossible perfection sell best.

> > > As a woman, that is SO discouraging.

> > > When I go into a fantasy world full of magic, I want to escape the things that hurt me in real life. Other people can play whatever they choose--because escape and fantasy are different for everyone. And if other people choose revealing armor, that is fine with me.

> > > But I wish there were more female body and clothing options for MY escape--that is, options that are totally NON-sexual in every way. Options that let me forget the pressures of being a woman in real life--and instead be a bad-kitten hero for a while.

> > > Charr females are great, and I play them almost exclusively to get my escape. But I wish I could have a human female whose body shape and armor design are similar--where sexuality is not the point. I want a human female who looks like a normal woman like me, not an airbrushed model with poreless skin and anime body.

> >

> > Don't you understand how empowering it is to be a boob ninja? /s

>

> Stop using the 'as a woman' argument.

I never did. I never claimed to be a woman, because I'm not. This account name is literally Mr Phantasia. If you're going to resort outright lying about what I've said I don't see a point in talking to you further, liar.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Heibi.4251" said:

> > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > @"Heibi.4251" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"MrPhantasia.5924" said:

> > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > Again .. you have choices if you want either approach, so the complain is not really sensible. It's not like there is only a dozen armor sets in this game. To think THIS game is somehow exceptional as far as these armor designs go ... I don't think that's accurate. Yes, there are skins that show skin ... if you don't like them don't use them. This isn't a question of if there are armor skins that offend you. It's a question of choice ... and you have it. I honestly don't understand what the OP is complaining about .. he posted some example of 'good' armor looks ... many of those looks can be built from many of the choices easily available to all players; the core armor sets in the game are actually VERY tame.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are literally 3 heavy armor chest pieces that both are not revealing or have hideous looking boobplates to make sure you know oh boy there are definitely boobs here.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hunnan T3 cultural, counsel guard, and legendary. Thats it. Three choices out of close to 70 skins. So much choice. And none of it keeps up the pretense of stuff like the Elonian elementalist outfit of at least being similarly revealing for bith genders.

> > > >

> > > > No, there are way more than that. You're being sensational.

> > >

> > > You are correct. There are many many more sets that aren't "boobplates". Getting tired of that term actually. You know, if you really don't want anything resembling a boobplate play asurans, charr, or male characters. That solves the issue. However, that won't satisfy the OP it seems, or some of the posters here.

> > >

> > > Now, when I choose the skin I want I look for aesthetically pleasing, whether it be revealing or not. I loath the boxy looking armor skins. I want mine to be cool looking not utilitarian. This is a fantasy game not real life.

> >

> > It really funny when one stops to consider that the 'boobplate' would actually be historically accurate... If plate armor had ever been made with a female wearer in mind...

>

> I'm trying to remember an article or video that discussed that very concept. In the video/article it was "proven" to be a bad idea. Something about the weakness of the the design due to the protruding round parts. I'm actually serious here, even though this sounds ridiculous. I'll have to see if I can find that.

The YouTube channel Shadiversity actually has several videos discussing female armor and 'boobplates.' I think he makes very logical arguments as to why it would be historically accurate and still effective.

There are plenty of practical looking skins tbh it's more than you get in other games and on some classes it's pretty close to a 50/50 ratio, but we do get new skins and outfits at a slow pace so I think you'd get more success just asking for more skins in general tbh, no doubt with more options you'll find something you actually like or at least don't hate.

> @"Weindrasi.3805" said:

> To those who argue that because it's a world full of magic, we should have even more revealing armor: I offer this counterargument:

> I'm a female who deals with imagery of sexualized women in real life every day, in every place. From burger advertising to cars and so on, sex sells. And near-naked female bodies that have been photo-altered to impossible perfection sell best.

> As a woman, that is SO discouraging.

I always found it interesting that something like a sexy beautiful woman on a poster is arousing to a man but discouraging to a woman and a poster of a fit sculpted gym-rat guy is encouraging to a man and intimidating to a woman. Of course, hashtagNotAll, but it's very telling how these types of stereotypes are *reinforced* despite them being stereotypes like many others that are actively destructive AND perpetuated on half-truths. I mean, yes, guys get attracted by very attractive females BUT guys also don't seek out only highly attractive women. So impossible beauty standards...that women hold themselves to but blame men for sexualizing these women? Or can we understand that people like to look at beautiful things (even fantasize about them) but know their reality isn't going to be that standard of beauty?

I just want more "knight" style armor. A classic fantasy knight armor (helm with a visor on the front and so on).

Right now, the one and only set of armor that look like a classic knight is locked behind a 6 years time gate...

I don't mind a reward for those that are playing this game for a long time, I just fucking like that style and I can't truly have it.

> @"MrPhantasia.5924" said:

>

> You're missing the point in that because of the gender differences between the armor sets means that female characters can never use skins that look like the male phalanx skin set. At least stuff like Elonian Elementalist armor has the decency to be consistent between both genders.

>

> Guild wars 2 should approach it's armor like the Dark Souls and Bloodborne series do.

>

> If an armor set looks like this on male characters:

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/5AApExe.png "")

>

> Then it should look like this on female characters.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/t0lTUWC.png "")

>

> And if you're going to make armor sets that look like this on female characters:

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/sy2xXlI.jpg "")

>

> Then male characters should get this treatment.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/XwOzfFD.jpg "")

>

> There are are only a few armor sets in the entire series that break from this.

I love this about Fromsoft games armor/equipment.

Buuuuuut, I want to say that things we really need in the game are both ends more revealing and more practical designed. From a logical point of view, plated armor should be a single curving around the chest rather than meeting down in the sternum or else taking blows sends most of the force to said sternum, so I always had a wanting of more armors that respect to that recognition of design, especially how it would be easier to carve and craft than catering extensively to the size of someone's chest, male or female. I mean a bit of design for when a lady needs room is fine, but there's other ways to go about that than just 1 or 2, and I think the variety would be welcoming as an addition.

In terms of more revealing armors, for heavy there's only a handful that are legit more revealing, but gloves and boots are never smaller/simpler in design. My issue with the revealing sorts besides that is the lacking of variety. They tend to have a more barbaric or Norn theme of design, or are Arah armor for heavy. I believe there's more potential than that for applicability, or even just better/different styles that can make a sort of sense. I know people like to argue on practicality with these sorts of armors, but in some cases there is a way that it makes sense for example Norn being based on Norse themed ideals such as vikings and valkyries, Norn itself by mythology being the oversized women who were holders of fate to mortals to Norse beliefs.

Lastly I'd like more armors more purely done as a classiness of a style of detail for more than just practicality or saying it's a little of this meant for that sort of fight, now and then.

> @"Lady Celtaine.3760" said:

> There are plenty of practical looking skins tbh it's more than you get in other games and on some classes it's pretty close to a 50/50 ratio, but we do get new skins and outfits at a slow pace so I think you'd get more success just asking for more skins in general tbh, no doubt with more options you'll find something you actually like or at least don't hate.

4 /70 = plenty

> @"MrPhantasia.5924" said:

> > @"Lady Celtaine.3760" said:

> > There are plenty of practical looking skins tbh it's more than you get in other games and on some classes it's pretty close to a 50/50 ratio, but we do get new skins and outfits at a slow pace so I think you'd get more success just asking for more skins in general tbh, no doubt with more options you'll find something you actually like or at least don't hate.

>

> 4 /70 = plenty

Depends what class you play, the majority of medium armors are skewed more like 70/4 not the other way around, = is an average across all skins.

@ the darksouls armour: everyone should look up the guildwars 1 gladiator armour. GW1 was generally quite good with consistent appearance on armour between the genders (though I do miss the scar patterns). People should look up Shadversity and his videos on female armour-some very interesting stuff he discusses there, such as the stylizing of male armour vs female.

I remember a few months ago there was this thread complaining about the lack of skimpy options (especially for female heavy) amusingly.