What is the point in the Skyscale?

I know the Vision collections have use for it, that's the only thing it is useful for really. I mean general use, springer and griffon seem better/faster in every way.

The movement up and straight line forward seem far too limited before you run out of 'movement energy'? (Not sure what that bar is being called), or the speed of it; one would have to be improved to make it usable surely

these r my personal reasons (and may not apply to u or other ppl)

- annoy ppl by kicking dusts in their face

- good for collecting volatile magic (not related to Vision), its just good for farming VM in general cuz it doesn't go down like grrifies

- it is actually faster than the **obsolete** griffie cuz you dont have to dive down to go fast

- u wont die in DS island part where random dragons spit lava on you

- you can RP as Danaerys tangaryean and breathe fire down on enemies

- when skins come out its gonna be epic, cuz it'll be dragon-related and not cat bird owl related

I have been using it, and the griffon used right is much much faster, and the springer is faster for jumping. So it's just VM farming and Vision then?

Edit: I do like how it looks, though, which is why it is disappointing to use

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> I have been using it, and the griffon used right is much much faster, and the springer is faster for jumping. So it's just VM farming and Vision then?

>

> Edit: I do like how it looks, though, which is why it is disappointing to use

The griffon remains the vastest mount for traversal if enough space is available for dive-speed gathering.

The Skyscales is superior where this is not possible if used correctly.

The Springer remains ideal for fast strait up horizontal traversal. The Skyscales surpasses it when obstacles are in the way on the horizontal plane.

Unless you want to make both those mounts obsolete, all of them have their use.

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> I know the Vision collections have use for it, that's the only thing it is useful for really. I mean general use, springer and griffon seem better/faster in every way.

>

> The movement up and straight line forward seem far too limited before you run out of 'movement energy'? (Not sure what that bar is being called), or the speed of it; one would have to be improved to make it usable surely

There are some parts where only a skyscale can reach.

Best use for a Skyscale? Gaining altitude to launch with a Griffon :P Alternatively, cliff climbing for when you just *know* it'll be annoying with a springer to land on that small inbetween ledge. Obviously, these two go hand-in-hand. A rare edge case: a mixed horizontal-vertical map where there's a rapid change in obstacles being cliffs and ravines. Remember to not just use space when flying up, but also angle your (movement) camera upward so the mount also flies up.

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> I mean general use, springer and griffon seem better/faster in every way.

Indeed, at its current state it's far too limited to be useful exept for the niche it's supposed to fill but this "stop and go" gameplay makes it feel very clunky. Removing these pointless limits would at least make it more beareble in that regard. But it's just the turret system from episode 3 all over again: good idea, bad implementation.

The skyscale is fine. the only thing that needs to be fixed is the useless air rescue. If you mount from too high up, its all red fligh juice.

And learn to use Dash with the Skyscale. You can make it much farther than you imagine. You can make it up over suprisingly many ledges.

Dont use dash while right infront of the ledge. But far away enough from it that you can shoot up over it at like a 45 degree angle. Aim upwards, then let go.

Skyscale has been incredibly useful to me personally. It is way easier to climb cliffsides with Skyscale than Springer in many cases, though Springer might be faster depending on if the jumps are easy to land.

I think all the mounts have their uses still, but I've been defaulting to skyscale recently due to it making getting over obstacles a breeze.

I do climb high on skyscale and swap to griffon when trying to cross the map quickly though.

> @"drmambo.7620" said:

> Skyscale has been incredibly useful to me personally. It is way easier to climb cliffsides with Skyscale than Springer in many cases, though Springer might be faster depending on if the jumps are easy to land.

>

> I think all the mounts have their uses still, but I've been defaulting to skyscale recently due to it making getting over obstacles a breeze.

>

> I do climb high on skyscale and swap to griffon when trying to cross the map quickly though.

Yes, for descent, the skyscale just cant beat the griffon. But I agree, the skyscale is great for when making your way up, and its easier to stay in the air over smaller distances where the burd is hamstrung by the stamina recharge to flap and may juuuuust not reach an opposing ledge without bond of vigor.

Many secret chests in Thunderhead Peaks is far more easier to reach with the Skyscale for one.

Precision flying and landing, plus superior climbing and reconnaissance . <3

You know that one hero point in Dragon's Stand, where you have to jump out over a pit and land on the tiny tip of an underground tower to commune, and if you miss, you fall down into the pit, have to fight your way out past slimes and mordrem and fight your way past the smokescales at the pit again and try over? Floated in on the skyscale, landed on the tower, communed, out of there in like two seconds. I don't even want to say some of the other stuff I've been able to do easily, because I suspect the nerf bat is taking some warm-up swings already.

How about jumping out of that high window by the POI in the city of Tarir, hovering in the middle of everything being able to enjoy the view in all directions, and then flying back to the window, jumping up the wall, getting on top of that tower, and going even higher? How about being in a pit and being able to elevate yourself right out of it without fluttering from ledge to ledge? How about going up a cliff without having to batter your poor bunny against it fifteen times befiore finding a ledge its feet will stick on, climbing up to the canopy in Verdant Brink without ever wondering if you will miss a branch and fall all the way back down? How about NEVER worrying about falling? How about just plain going straight up to get a better look around at your surroundings?

Loving my skyscale.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> Precision flying and landing, plus superior climbing and reconnaissance . <3

>

> You know that one hero point in Dragon's Stand, where you have to jump out over a pit and land on the tiny tip of an underground tower to commune, and if you miss, you fall down into the pit, have to fight your way out past slimes and mordrem and fight your way past the smokescales at the pit again and try over? Floated in on the skyscale, landed on the tower, communed, out of there in like two seconds. I don't even want to say some of the other stuff I've been able to do easily, because I suspect the nerf bat is taking some warm-up swings already.

>

> How about jumping out of that high window by the POI in the city of Tarir, hovering in the middle of everything being able to enjoy the view in all directions, and then flying back to the window, jumping up the wall, getting on top of that tower, and going even higher? How about being in a pit and being able to elevate yourself right out of it without fluttering from ledge to ledge? How about going up a cliff without having to batter your poor bunny against it fifteen times befiore finding a ledge its feet will stick on, climbing up to the canopy in Verdant Brink without ever wondering if you will miss a branch and fall all the way back down? How about NEVER worrying about falling? How about just plain going straight up to get a better look around at your surroundings?

>

> Loving my skyscale.

People just need to give it time and see what the Skyscale can do. I suspect theres just been a lot of mistaken asumptions about what it was meant for. As well not obsoleting the Griffon.

Skyscale "could" do with some tweaks, but overall the more I use it the more I love it!!!

It needs a bit of getting used to, but soon you will realize that it's superior to all other mounts.

1. You don't have to dismount from Skyscale if you want to 'go up the cliff' or fly over something.

2. It can leap over the ledges (like raptor) with the dash/dodge while flying.

3. It will overtake griffon in normal flight and stay in the air longer than griffon. Dash/dodge proves it, you avoid attacks that way and speed yourself up a bit!

4. You don't have to smash SPACE button to keep yourself in air like with griffon.

Overall, imo...I think it's much better than all other mounts.

Unless you are in huge rush you will then want to use griffon for 'dive speed' (which still means you have to get high enough), or raptor, or springer to go high up really fast.

Skyscale is now my top 1 mount. Exploration is super enjoyable with it, I skip through things and take shortcuts which I could not access with griffon at all.

Give it time and get used to it, you will love it! :)

The skyscale is mostly fine as is. It's for precision climbing. Sure, a springer may be faster but some ledges are hard to land on, skyscale allows you to hover and precisely go where you want to go. It can ascend things the springer simply cannot if you really want to. Using both wall clings to climb, then popping bond of vigor for more flight gauge and endurance gives you quite a bit to work with. Once you're up high you can then use the Griffin if you so please or stick to the skyscale and still go pretty far horizontally without losing a ton of altitude.

Plenty of people have found it useful, including myself. If you want to stick to just swapping springer and Griffin, nothing is stopping you. They weren't trying to make those mounts obsolete.

I find it's good for terrain that's fairly rough. Where I was alternating between the gryphon and springer with my hotkeys before I tend to stay on the skyscale since the height gaining lets me to do the bits a little too high for the gryphon, and it lets me cross gaps I'd let the gryphon do for me before.

Essentially, unless it's extremely high (springer) or somewhere far away (gryphon with a dive or raptor/ jackle/roller beetle the skyscale is good enough. It's surprising how many places those are.

> @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> I have one and it only has 1 real use for me - being able to hover-afk anywhere on a map without getting aggro from some mob 5 miles away. Any movement options are done faster and better by the other mounts.

I never could figure that one out as a reason to get it. If you are already aggroed there is nothing you can do, including hopping on a mount. If you are not aggroed you have plenty of options: wvw, pvp, go to some safe space, waypoint, whatever.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> Precision flying and landing, plus superior climbing and reconnaissance . <3

>

> You know that one hero point in Dragon's Stand, where you have to jump out over a pit and land on the tiny tip of an underground tower to commune, and if you miss, you fall down into the pit, have to fight your way out past slimes and mordrem and fight your way past the smokescales at the pit again and try over? Floated in on the skyscale, landed on the tower, communed, out of there in like two seconds. I don't even want to say some of the other stuff I've been able to do easily, because I suspect the nerf bat is taking some warm-up swings already.

>

> How about jumping out of that high window by the POI in the city of Tarir, hovering in the middle of everything being able to enjoy the view in all directions, and then flying back to the window, jumping up the wall, getting on top of that tower, and going even higher? How about being in a pit and being able to elevate yourself right out of it without fluttering from ledge to ledge? How about going up a cliff without having to batter your poor bunny against it fifteen times befiore finding a ledge its feet will stick on, climbing up to the canopy in Verdant Brink without ever wondering if you will miss a branch and fall all the way back down? How about NEVER worrying about falling? How about just plain going straight up to get a better look around at your surroundings?

>

> Loving my skyscale.

Not to mention that one tiny little floating fragment of an island a bloodstone crystal can spawn on in Bloostone Fen. Missed it nearly every time with gliding and griffin cause my dumb character can't keep a foodhold and slips off.