Suggestion: Shared Gathering Tool Slots

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"lare.5129" said:

> > Of course I like idea, but I have unbreakable active set of tools and don't see any big problem to swap them on my max shared tool slots between 9 characters. Just remember always before logout remap them on shared.

>

> It's about convenience. Before hot, we used to have to press F to loot around us, ever since the pact mastery for autolooting, I haven't needed to do that again.

>

> People with multiple characters would probably appreciate having the gathering tools automatically shared between them, rather than try and remember before each logout to remove them, and equip them after every login.

Yeah but looting didn't cost gems. While these tools do cost gems.

I'm actually surprised that ANet added shared inventory slot. Before it I had to run to a bank (pvp) to change the tools between alts.

I'd rather they re-worked BL endless gathering tools to be more like **outfits**. You unlock the tool's animation and you unlock the glyph. Then you decide what appearance and what glyph you want on each character, and it's easy to swap them out.

I don't know if it's possible to change that... but that would be the ideal solution.

I buy a lot of the tools for the visual effects, in addition to the convenience. If you only buy 3 and leave it at that, then a special 3 slot account-wide shared gathering inventory slot makes sense. But if you support the game by buying more than that? I'd have the same problem I have now with switching and storing. It would actively discourage new players from buying more than one of each of the gathering tools. But if they worked like outfit unlocks, sales of unlimited gathering tools and shared inventory slots would be unaffected.

> @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> I'd rather they re-worked BL endless gathering tools to be more like **outfits**. You unlock the tool's animation and you unlock the glyph. Then you decide what appearance and what glyph you want on each character, and it's easy to swap them out.

>

> I don't know if it's possible to change that... but that would be the ideal solution.

>

> I buy a lot of the tools for the visual effects, in addition to the convenience. If you only buy 3 and leave it at that, then a special 3 slot account-wide shared gathering inventory slot makes sense. But if you support the game by buying more than that? I'd have the same problem I have now with switching and storing. It would actively discourage new players from buying more than one of each of the gathering tools. But if they worked like outfit unlocks, sales of unlimited gathering tools and shared inventory slots would be unaffected.

This is actually a good idea.. if they could do them like the pvp stomp animations. And the standard gathering tools, you buy charges for instead of putting them into a slot.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"VDAC.2137" said:

> > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > > > > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

> > > >

> > > > How is that of use? Doing it this way is 3k/character vs a new set of unbreakable tools/char is 2k.

> > >

> > > Only 2k? Why are people even asking for this thing then? Just buy the tools and be over with.

> >

> > Lol! You must not play a lot of alts...

> >

> > I have one full set and only one pick axe with my leather glyph. There is very little benefit to me buying more tools. I would l, however, appreciate and pay a reasonable fee for unique slots for these tools so that I would not have to remember to unequip them.

>

> So do you mind playing 1k gems per char per slot, for the convenience of not having to move your set around and keeping all your glyphs?

Definitely, that’s WAY too much! A shared inventory slot is at most 700 gems and for the account! I would expect to pay more to unlock shared gathering tool slots, yes, but it would need to be a one time cost for the account for me to even consider it.

> @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> I'd rather they re-worked BL endless gathering tools to be more like **outfits**. You unlock the tool's animation and you unlock the glyph. Then you decide what appearance and what glyph you want on each character, and it's easy to swap them out.

>

> I don't know if it's possible to change that... but that would be the ideal solution.

>

> I buy a lot of the tools for the visual effects, in addition to the convenience. If you only buy 3 and leave it at that, then a special 3 slot account-wide shared gathering inventory slot makes sense. But if you support the game by buying more than that? I'd have the same problem I have now with switching and storing. It would actively discourage new players from buying more than one of each of the gathering tools. But if they worked like outfit unlocks, sales of unlimited gathering tools and shared inventory slots would be unaffected.

I like that idea! I would be more inclined to buy additional looks and utilities that I like if I choose which of those I’d unlocked for a character and same with glyphs! I appreciate that the glyphs are freely swappable, but I don’t want to have to do a bunch of juggling/set-up every time I switch characters. It is enough that now I double-check “Did you put your gathering tools away?” :lol:

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

>

> I don't think Anet would go this way, it's 1. Too expensive, and 2. Shared Inventory slots don't work this way.

>

> What they might do, is sell each slot separately for 2k gems, and a bundle back discounted to 5k gems.

>

> Even if it cost 2k per slot, I would get them. However, I wouldn't bother if one has to pay 1k per character.

5k gems for something that should be in the game baseline? That's like 60 euros!

Remember that most games don't even require you to equip a tool. That shared slot should be given for free when we purchase any unbreakable tool, and if it's not, it shouldn't be expensive at all (400 gems max). The only reason one would want to buy a shared slot is to gain advantage out of the unlimited tools. What this means is that you already paid for a convenience. I think it's a bad thing to be forced to pay again if we want to fully gain this convenience.

> @"VDAC.2137" said:

> > > @"VDAC.2137" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > > > > > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is that of use? Doing it this way is 3k/character vs a new set of unbreakable tools/char is 2k.

> > > >

> > > > Only 2k? Why are people even asking for this thing then? Just buy the tools and be over with.

> > >

> > > Lol! You must not play a lot of alts...

> > >

> > > I have one full set and only one pick axe with my leather glyph. There is very little benefit to me buying more tools. I would l, however, appreciate and pay a reasonable fee for unique slots for these tools so that I would not have to remember to unequip them.

> >

> > So do you mind playing 1k gems per char per slot, for the convenience of not having to move your set around and keeping all your glyphs?

>

> Definitely, that’s WAY too much! A shared inventory slot is at most 700 gems and for the account! I would expect to pay more to unlock shared gathering tool slots, yes, but it would need to be a one time cost for the account for me to even consider it.

Then you stick to shared inventory slots, and just move tools around. Or buy a set for each alt.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

> >

> > I don't think Anet would go this way, it's 1. Too expensive, and 2. Shared Inventory slots don't work this way.

> >

> > What they might do, is sell each slot separately for 2k gems, and a bundle back discounted to 5k gems.

> >

> > Even if it cost 2k per slot, I would get them. However, I wouldn't bother if one has to pay 1k per character.

>

> 5k gems for something that should be in the game baseline? That's like 60 euros!

> Remember that most games don't even require you to equip a tool. That shared slot should be given for free when we purchase any unbreakable tool, and if it's not, it shouldn't be expensive at all (400 gems max). The only reason one would want to buy a shared slot is to gain advantage out of the unlimited tools. What this means is that you already paid for a convenience. I think it's a bad thing to be forced to pay again if we want to fully gain this convenience.

Or you can always just buy normal gathering tools and not bother with the unlimited ones? I mean they are pretty much there to make ANet money. Cause you know, you don't pay for a sub.

Most games I've played with gathering actually require you to equip a tool.

This would be very helpful, but it still won't allow you to have different skins per character, unless they added a wardrobe section for gathering skills so you can override the ones in the equipped tools without having to constantly transmute them or having many different tools or separate tools per character.

I think if we ever get fishing, they should also take the opportunity to do a complete gathering rework altogether, including an account-wide panel for all things related to gathering.

All node uses would become stored account-wide rather than in map instances per character, but in exchange they would gain bonus material the more times you login daily and the more you gather in other maps since you last gathered them, up to a max cap per group of nodes in each map.

To compensate for not being able to gather multiple times the same node with many characters anymore, there could be a vendor in LA that would sell a consumable that can be purchased and used once per character slot in the account (character slot, not character, creating and deleting characters would not add more of it to the vendor). This consumable would give a permanent account effect that gives bonuses to gathering like higher chances of rare items or a faster buildup of materials each daily login.

There could also be more nodes in content like at the end of dungeons, and nodes appearing after events complete, even being able to use tools on the corpse of a boss to gather some materials, like using a pickaxe to get some destroyer cores and lodestones from the corpse of the megadestroyer.

This way exploring and finding new nodes becomes more efficient that spamming F with a ton of alts in one spot like a bot. Finding a rich orichalcum node somewhere in a map you don't visit often would always be a nice surprise, instead something pointless because you can get way more orichalcum with a node near a waypoint with several characters than wasting time looking for nodes.

And nodes and their current locations for the week could appear in the API since they'd be fixed for the account and appear in the same locations across map instances for all players rather than stored in the map instances, allowing using the API to keep track of what nodes have been gathered and which ones may have build up more materials because there has been more logins since you've visited them.

In the gathering panel we'd be able to track how much materials we have obtained and what maps or regions have been gathered less so they may have more materials, and Gathering tools would be slotted there, while the skins would be selected in the wardrobe individually per character, encouraging players to collect multiple skins rather than getting 3 tools and sticking them in account inventory slots.

Vendor tools would no longer have a level requirement, and they would no longer fail to gather on higher tier gear. Instead, they would give bonus materials based on their type (copper pickaxes would have a chance to give bonus copper ore, copper axes would have a chance to give bonus green wood) with a higher chance for those materials the higher the difference in tiers between the tool and the node, but also consume more uses per gathering the higher the difference.

So all vendor tools would come with a bonus, regardless of source, becoming useful even if you are a level 80 who got a copper scythe from a bandit lootbag.

Unlimited gathering tools would be an account upgrade instead items, allowing you to gather when a gathering slot is empty.

Glyphs would become account upgrades too.

You'd use one, and it'll let you choose between all types of tool compatible with it for which you haven't unlocked the glyph yet, so with 3 tools, you'd need 3 glyphs to be able to equip the effect on all 3 at the same time.

Once unlocked, you'd select the glyphs under the tool slots like how you select sigils under the weapons in the pvp panel. They will override the bonus of a limited tool, but still make it consume uses, unless you also have the unlimited tool account upgrade. Then the equipped tool is ignored and it won't lose uses, with the unlimited tool upgrade, you'd only get the effects of the tools equipped if you unequip the glyph for their slots.

> > @"VDAC.2137" said:

> > > > @"VDAC.2137" said:

> > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > > > > > > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How is that of use? Doing it this way is 3k/character vs a new set of unbreakable tools/char is 2k.

> > > > >

> > > > > Only 2k? Why are people even asking for this thing then? Just buy the tools and be over with.

> > > >

> > > > Lol! You must not play a lot of alts...

> > > >

> > > > I have one full set and only one pick axe with my leather glyph. There is very little benefit to me buying more tools. I would l, however, appreciate and pay a reasonable fee for unique slots for these tools so that I would not have to remember to unequip them.

> > >

> > > So do you mind playing 1k gems per char per slot, for the convenience of not having to move your set around and keeping all your glyphs?

> >

> > Definitely, that’s WAY too much! A shared inventory slot is at most 700 gems and for the account! I would expect to pay more to unlock shared gathering tool slots, yes, but it would need to be a one time cost for the account for me to even consider it.

>

> Then you stick to shared inventory slots, and just move tools around. Or buy a set for each alt.

Duh, yes, that’s what I do now — use my shared inventory slots that is. I am simply expressing what changes I would find beneficial and what I would be willing to pay for. I am as entitled to my priorities and preferences as you are yours. :unamused:

I think @"Udolpho.1209"’s idea is best; it increases convenience and would actually encourage me to buy more gathering tools. :)

I have always thought shared gathering tool slots would be the ultimate final QoL improvement to unlimited gathering tools. I'd suggest the following adjustments to the way OP layed it out.

* There would be a swap button like the one for swapping weapons. Each char individually could select between the shared set and the char-based set.

* Any tools could be equipped in the shared slots. This makes them useful to people who don't have unbreakable tools.

Obviously the price would have to be right for people without unlimited tools to be willing to buy the shared tool slots. People who have multiple sets might still use this. For example, you might have VM tools in the char-based slots but can easily switch to industrial tools for quicker gathering when you want to. There are a million ways that could be sliced and diced based on individual needs.

If you want different skins per char you would have to equip different tools on each char, just like it works now.

I think the biggest thing to figure out would be how to price it. It could be anywhere from free (perhaps included with an expansion or major update) to massively expensive. If it's too expensive then I'd expect many people would end up not buying them. On the other hand, could Anet justify the effort if they are free? It would ultimately be up to Anet to figure that out.

1k gems per slot per char is just absurd. You can buy a full set of basic unlimited tools for 2400 gems. I have 9 chars and 1 set of unlimited tools. It would cost me 27,000 gems to unlock the shared slots on all 9 toons but only 19,200 gems to buy a set of basic tools for 8 chars. For the record, I wouldn't do either.

> @"Rukario.1695" said:

> > Sure, they can make it works like bag slots.

> > Each slot cost you 1k gems, and you need to unlock it on every single character you want to use this feature.

>

> That's not how shared slots work. Lol

Bag slot, not shared inventory slot. There is a difference. LOL.

> @"Bollocks.4078" said:

> I have always thought shared gathering tool slots would be the ultimate final QoL improvement to unlimited gathering tools. I'd suggest the following adjustments to the way OP layed it out.

>

> * There would be a swap button like the one for swapping weapons. Each char individually could select between the shared set and the char-based set.

> * Any tools could be equipped in the shared slots. This makes them useful to people who don't have unbreakable tools.

>

> Obviously the price would have to be right for people without unlimited tools to be willing to buy the shared tool slots. People who have multiple sets might still use this. For example, you might have VM tools in the char-based slots but can easily switch to industrial tools for quicker gathering when you want to. There are a million ways that could be sliced and diced based on individual needs.

>

> If you want different skins per char you would have to equip different tools on each char, just like it works now.

>

> I think the biggest thing to figure out would be how to price it. It could be anywhere from free (perhaps included with an expansion or major update) to massively expensive. If it's too expensive then I'd expect many people would end up not buying them. On the other hand, could Anet justify the effort if they are free? It would ultimately be up to Anet to figure that out.

>

> 1k gems per slot per char is just absurd. You can buy a full set of basic unlimited tools for 2400 gems. I have 9 chars and 1 set of unlimited tools. It would cost me 27,000 gems to unlock the shared slots on all 9 toons but only 19,200 gems to buy a set of basic tools for 8 chars. For the record, I wouldn't do either.

>

>

>

>

Yeah 27k gems is way to much, but then again you can just buy 1 set for 2400 and 3 shared inventory slots (for almost 2k ?) and be done with it.

> @"Bollocks.4078" said:

> * Any tools could be equipped in the shared slots. This makes them useful to people who don't have unbreakable tools.

I completely agree.

> @"Bollocks.4078" said:

> I think the biggest thing to figure out would be how to price it.

I have been thinking about the price. Considering how...

* It would be a one-time purchase per account (unlocking the slots for every character, like shared inventory slots)

* They would be basically specialized shared inventory slots

* A single shared inventory slots costs 700 gems, three cost 1.890 gems and five cost 2.800 gems

* The shared gathering tool slots would only be sold in a pack with all three slots together (making it simpler for ArenaNet and also following their business strategy of favoring packs than individual small transactions)

... I think a fair price would be **3.000 gems** for the three slots together. More than three shared inventory slots (more even than five shared inventory slots), and the same price of a set of unbreakable gathering tool (so we're keeping within a theme). It would also benefit ArenaNet, since someone starting from zero gems would have to buy 4.000 gems (they don't sell only 3.000 at a time) if they're buying with money.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > @"kitten.4078" said:

> > * Any tools could be equipped in the shared slots. This makes them useful to people who don't have unbreakable tools.

> I completely agree.

>

> > @"kitten.4078" said:

> > I think the biggest thing to figure out would be how to price it.

>

> I have been thinking about the price. Considering how...

>

> * It would be a one-time purchase per account (unlocking the slots for every character, like shared inventory slots)

> * They would be basically specialized shared inventory slots

> * A single shared inventory slots costs 700 gems, three cost 1.890 gems and five cost 2.800 gems

> * The shared gathering tool slots would only be sold in a pack with all three slots together (making it simpler for ArenaNet and also following their business strategy of favoring packs than individual small transactions)

>

> ... I think a fair price would be **3.000 gems** for the three slots together. More than three shared inventory slots (more even than five shared inventory slots), and the same price of a set of unbreakable gathering tool (so we're keeping within a theme). It would also benefit ArenaNet, since someone starting from zero gems would have to buy 4.000 gems (they don't sell only 3.000 at a time) if they're buying with money.

How does 3k account wide unlock benefit them more than 3k per alt?

>

> How does 3k account wide unlock benefit them more than 3k per alt?

Total sales. If it is 3K per alt, I will never buy any. If it was 3K per account, I would. If I was willing to pay 3K/alt, I would also be willing to just buy more sets of tools..

Anything that is per alt costs more if a player has more alts, and paid for the extra character slots. In some way, any per character purchase makes the purchases of additional slots more expensive (I need to buy the extra slot, then I need to buy extra bag slots, then I need to buy shared tool slots, etc).

I've never bought extra bag slots for exactly that same reason. First, I've never felt I needed them badly enough, and then it would not be clear which of my characters really need them. But if it was an account wide purchase for extra bag slots, even if more expensive (say in the 2000 gem price), I might do so just for the convenience - I know that is the price no matter how many characters I have (and if I add more later).

> @"Solvar.7953" said:

> >

> > How does 3k account wide unlock benefit them more than 3k per alt?

>

> Total sales. If it is 3K per alt, I will never buy any. If it was 3K per account, I would. If I was willing to pay 3K/alt, I would also be willing to just buy more sets of tools..

> Anything that is per alt costs more if a player has more alts, and paid for the extra character slots. In some way, any per character purchase makes the purchases of additional slots more expensive (I need to buy the extra slot, then I need to buy extra bag slots, then I need to buy shared tool slots, etc).

> I've never bought extra bag slots for exactly that same reason. First, I've never felt I needed them badly enough, and then it would not be clear which of my characters really need them. But if it was an account wide purchase for extra bag slots, even if more expensive (say in the 2000 gem price), I might do so just for the convenience - I know that is the price no matter how many characters I have (and if I add more later).

>

Yeah but do you know the whales? The people that don't mind dropping 3k for each alt they own.

Admit it you just want cheap convenience and nothing more.

> > @"Solvar.7953" said:

> > >

> > > How does 3k account wide unlock benefit them more than 3k per alt?

> >

> > Total sales. If it is 3K per alt, I will never buy any. If it was 3K per account, I would. If I was willing to pay 3K/alt, I would also be willing to just buy more sets of tools..

> > Anything that is per alt costs more if a player has more alts, and paid for the extra character slots. In some way, any per character purchase makes the purchases of additional slots more expensive (I need to buy the extra slot, then I need to buy extra bag slots, then I need to buy shared tool slots, etc).

> > I've never bought extra bag slots for exactly that same reason. First, I've never felt I needed them badly enough, and then it would not be clear which of my characters really need them. But if it was an account wide purchase for extra bag slots, even if more expensive (say in the 2000 gem price), I might do so just for the convenience - I know that is the price no matter how many characters I have (and if I add more later).

> >

>

> Yeah but do you know the whales? The people that don't mind dropping 3k for each alt they own.

> Admit it you just want cheap convenience and nothing more.

What would be the point of shared slots at 3k per alt? Then I could just buy tools for each alt instead and get a variety of glyphs and skins available.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Solvar.7953" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > >

> > > > How does 3k account wide unlock benefit them more than 3k per alt?

> > >

> > > Total sales. If it is 3K per alt, I will never buy any. If it was 3K per account, I would. If I was willing to pay 3K/alt, I would also be willing to just buy more sets of tools..

> > > Anything that is per alt costs more if a player has more alts, and paid for the extra character slots. In some way, any per character purchase makes the purchases of additional slots more expensive (I need to buy the extra slot, then I need to buy extra bag slots, then I need to buy shared tool slots, etc).

> > > I've never bought extra bag slots for exactly that same reason. First, I've never felt I needed them badly enough, and then it would not be clear which of my characters really need them. But if it was an account wide purchase for extra bag slots, even if more expensive (say in the 2000 gem price), I might do so just for the convenience - I know that is the price no matter how many characters I have (and if I add more later).

> > >

> >

> > Yeah but do you know the whales? The people that don't mind dropping 3k for each alt they own.

> > Admit it you just want cheap convenience and nothing more.

>

> What would be the point of shared slots at 3k per alt? Then I could just buy tools for each alt instead and get a variety of glyphs and skins available.

Just do that! It is for the best.

While I doubt Anet would ever release the data, I would be curious to what the whales purchasing habits are.

I'd be tempted to think that it would be more on the cosmetic side (dyes, outfits, minis, etc) of things, simply because there are a lot more of those available for purchase.

However, that certainly does not describe my buying habits (I don't think I've ever bought a cosmetic item). However, I have bought a fair amount of convenience items. There really are not any convenience items out there now that I would buy, but shared inventory tools are one.

So presuming there are others out there with similar buying habits to me, this gives Anet something new to sell to those not interested in cosmetics.