Do all people have access to the racial magic?

adormtil.1605

You know how humans in game can summon hounds and become an avatar of 2 gods. Or norns can shape shift into animals. Or sylvari can summon an plant hound or an spirit druid. The point is do all humans, norns and sylvari can use those racial magic? Even an average human farmer can use the humans racial magic?

They seem to be more of a gameplay gimmick than anything else. I doubt every Human can summon Temar and Tegon or every Norn can shapeshift into 4 different animal forms, but I believe that every Charr could walk around with a hidden pistol or every Asura could activate a radiation field machine.

I could see a really devout Human farmer maybe, maybe being able to summon the doges., but definitely not all. If they could they wouldn't need us for at least half the Hearts in Queensdale.

Nope. The skills the commanders get are part of their setting. A gimmick to use early while you unlock other skills. Players having them doesn't mean all individuals of that race will have them. Not even all norn can shapeshift. They need to commune with their spirits and receive their revelation. If something happens that make them lose confidence in themselves or that damages their connection to the spirits, they may become stuck in their form, or become unable to shapeshift until they fix it, like it happened with Jora and Svanir.

* The skills humans get signify how humans got 'blessings' from all gods, and now they can use similar powers to them even if the gods left. Humans do not summon Tegon and Temar, but temporary look-alikes created in a similar way, just way weaker. Tegon and Temar are magical creatures created by balthazar. Probably some sort of artificial spirit made with Balthazar's god magic, since they only registered as 'magic' when scanned in Draconis Mons, but they can still power Forged armors as we can see their Forged versions in Vabbi.

* The skills sylvari get signify their connection to nature, and also hint that they have some ancient connection to druids that they may not even know themselves as they can summon an arboreal spirit.

* The skills charr get signify their military upgringing. Shame your warband skill doesn't get customized based on your actual warband NPCs, but they are still likely recruits obtained from your members.

* The skills asura get show their scientific knowledge.

* The norn skills show thir connection to the spirits of the wild.

The head canon I use presumes that the Commander has access to all sorts of things unavailable to the masses.

* Waypoints for silver (instead of cost-prohibitive to use instead of yaks for transporting goods)

* Loads of limitless magics of all sorts.

* Racial skills

* 24/7 vendors

Obviously, most of this is required to make the game playable or more fun and ANet only sometimes offers lore-related explanations.

Some NPCs do show signs that they have such skills, or alternative versions. Unlike GW1, a lot of bosses have skills unique to them. Kasmeer has infinite portal skills and can disguise people. Taimi's smarter than any 12 asura. Caithe apparently has perma-stealth (even worse than WvW thieves are accused of). And so on.

> @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > > As a charr I can summon ...

> > > None of those seem very magical.

> >

> > summoning doesn't seem magical?

>

> No. Some people user /map to call for help, I use /charr. Nothing magical about it.

/map isn't lore

And it's not summoning. You can ask; it doesn't mean you get anyone and it certainly doesn't mean you get the same people every time. Summon warband gets identical results each time its used.

I seems quite a stretch to interpret any skill used by our characters as not having a strong magical component, especially ones that involve summoning of ...whoever or whatever from ... the aether.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > > > As a charr I can summon ...

> > > > None of those seem very magical.

> > >

> > > summoning doesn't seem magical?

> >

> > No. Some people user /map to call for help, I use /charr. Nothing magical about it.

>

> /map isn't lore

> And it's not summoning. You can ask; it doesn't mean you get anyone and it certainly doesn't mean you get the same people every time. Summon warband gets identical results each time its used.

>

> I seems quite a stretch to interpret any skill used by our characters as not having a strong magical component, especially ones that involve summoning of ...whoever or whatever from ... the aether.

Gameplay isn't always lore either.

Guns explicitly use ammo, yet we never reload. We can endlessly run and cast spells without getting tired, yet both would happen in lore. We can encounter individuals who literally can't be hurt for reasons of their event has fully triggered so they are targetable, but not killable yet.

Anet explicitly has stated that some classes can use magic, use magical items, or not use magic at all (warrior mainly), the "summon banner" can be you pulling out a banner, calling one from the sky, or something else.

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > > > As a charr I can summon ...

> > > > None of those seem very magical.

> > >

> > > summoning doesn't seem magical?

> >

> > No. Some people user /map to call for help, I use /charr. Nothing magical about it.

>

> /map isn't lore

> And it's not summoning. You can ask; it doesn't mean you get anyone and it certainly doesn't mean you get the same people every time. Summon warband gets identical results each time its used.

>

> I seems quite a stretch to interpret any skill used by our characters as not having a strong magical component, especially ones that involve summoning of ...whoever or whatever from ... the aether.

Wow you are taking this waaaaaaaaay too seriously.

"Summoning" your warband for help is no different from yelling for your (drunken) Frat brothers for help in a bar. Rowdy. Ready for a Fight. And disappointed by the lack of beer, thus their quick departure. They don't poof from a portal.

> @"Dall.9752" said:

> If they could they wouldn't need us for at least half the Hearts in Queensdale.

Lol or any Heart/dynamic events at all in the game....

Oh, there seems to be a human farmer in distress over there, maybe I should head over there and see if he needs a hand dealing with "*UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!*"...... Oh nevermind then, whats with this Asura getting attacked by an Ogre...*ASURA uses Technobabble - IT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE!* .... Well that escalated quickly.....but surely that Sylvari Wanderer over there needs help dealing with the Harpy... Oh I never knew that can be done with grasping vines....doesn't that hurt, like a lot? OK but enough of that, this Charr WILL be helped by me, mark my words even if it is the LAST thing I do in my liv...*dies to friendly fire caused by artillery barrage*...

Fin

> > As a charr I can summon ...

> > None of those seem very magical.

>

> summoning doesn't seem magical?

I don't think "summon" alway mean people appears out of nowhere using magic, ninja appear through smoke but it just a normal smoke.

> @"Dall.9752" said:

> They seem to be more of a gameplay gimmick than anything else. I doubt every Human can summon Temar and Tegon or every Norn can shapeshift into 4 different animal forms, but I believe that every Charr could walk around with a hidden pistol or every Asura could activate a radiation field machine.

>

> I could see a really devout Human farmer maybe, maybe being able to summon the doges., but definitely not all. If they could they wouldn't need us for at least half the Hearts in Queensdale.

I think for the norn, the ability is inborn and connected with the animal spirits they revere. However, it can be lost in certain circumstances.

Sylvari racial traits are definitely inborn.

Humans probably have access to multiple unique spells based on which God they revere--which are only accessible by being a follower of said God. So theoretically, if another race converted to humanistic God-worship, MAYBE they would have access to the magic? At the same time, it may be an inborn talent for humans--I recall somewhere it being said that humans have a stronger intuitive connection to certain magic than other races.

Charr and asura racial traits seem more culture based then inborn physiology based.

I think it depends on the race. In the case of norn, for instance, it does seem to be pretty close to universal among adult norn that they're able to assume animal forms, unless something has happened that prevents them from doing so, and we see this a lot in-game. Among humans, though, it's a plot point that the gods aren't answering prayers, despite the human racial skills being themed as prayers to the various gods. It's likely that if any random human could, for instance, pray to Dwayna and be healed (like most norn can assume at least one animal form), humans wouldn't have the abandonment issues they're portrayed as having.

I suspect that while the blessings of the gods are in all of humanity, only the most impressive representatives (such as a human PC) are actually capable of invoking them to produce a tangible effect, making it so rare that most humans don't recognise what's happening even when they see it.