Would you like "Costumes" ? (custom outfit made from armor skins)

Since outfits, there's no reason for armor skin to be locked by weight.

The only valid reason to not have them is because mixing them maybe not possible with how the characters were made.

So, why not have custom weight-locked homemade outfits?

It starts with the gemstore where you can buy a "costume" slot.

In the Outfits panel, you'll be able to equip a Costume like any outfit.

In the Equipment tab, a new "Costumes" menu item will be available.

The Costumes panel will be similar to the Wardrobe panel, but with only the 6 armor slots.

It'll have 3 columns.

Left column:

A list of all your costumes.

Clicking on one will display it on the other columns.

Middle column - Header:

A dropdown will let you set the costume on either light, medium, or heavy armor.

Changing the setting will empty all the 6 slots.

Middle column - Main:

Will show your unlocked wardrobe skins for the corresponding equipment slot and armor weight.

Middle column - Footer:

Confirmation for changes.

Will cost Transmutation charges using the same rules as the Wardrobe.

Right column:

6 slots with the chosen skins (Head, Torso, Legs, and Feet will be mandatory, while Hands and Shoulders can remain empty).

A preview of your character will be displayed too.

The outfit icon & name will be those of either the head or the chest piece as they're more recognizable.

I’ve seen this suggestion before (or similar) where they could give each char 2 armor “costume” slots that act like outfits, in that what armor of a different weight than your profession’s that you put in there (needs a full set, maybe minus helm and gloves) goes over your regular armor. No mix and match between weights but allows different professions to wear armor that is not their armor weight.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I’ve seen this suggestion before (or similar) where they could give each char 2 armor “costume” slots that act like outfits, in that what armor of a different weight than your profession’s that you put in there (needs a full set, maybe minus helm and gloves) goes over your regular armor. No mix and match between weights but allows different professions to wear armor that is not their armor weight.

Interesting approach too.

Don't particularly are one way or another, probably use it if it was made, wouldn't miss it if it wasn't.

Also, All the clipping complaints... and different armor weights not fitting each others and you getting weird seams etc. Yup I can imagine the kitten storm that would cause.

Town Clothes +1 though, miss that stuff so much. The outfit versions are nice, but sure miss some combinations.

Yes. There are many outfits that, honestly, are 100 times better than armor skins and it's a shame. I understand that the outfits are supposed to be _"unique"_ but still sad. I wish I could use [Gem Aura Outfit ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/07/Gem_Aura_Outfit_human_male_front.jpg "Gem Aura Outfit ") crystal shoulders for my Ice King character.

I don't get it, so you can create a look, made of any armor weights and then, save it? I always heard that we can't mix weights because of clipping and overlaping issues.. Or is it your weight but you just save a look?

I would like to have asuran light cultural armor T3 on my human engie mixed with asuran T2 heavy torso plus inquest exo suit headgear... whereas it sounds cool, still it's impossible. About mixing outfits It's impossible I think they act like your skin, they cover everything as one piece can't be cut in 6 slots.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> I don't get it, so you can create a look, made of any armor weights and then, save it? I always heard that we can't mix weights because of clipping and overlaping issues.. Or is it your weight but you just save a look?

> I would like to have asuran light cultural armor T3 on my human engie mixed with asuran T2 heavy torso plus inquest exo suit headgear... whereas it sounds cool, still it's impossible. About mixing outfits It's impossible I think they act like your skin, they cover everything as one piece can't be cut in 6 slots.

No, by 'weight-locked' the OP means you can only combine armour skins from the same armour weight. The idea is that a costume is a saved combination of armour skins that can be worn as an outfit, and therefore worn by characters that don't normally use that armour weight.

This sounds exactly like the outfit system in Elder Scrolls Online. (Which confusingly also has the equivalent of GW2's outfits, but calls them costumes.)

There is no transmutation in that game - you can choose the look of crafted armour pieces and weapons from a limited selection, but then you're restricted to the stats available from crafting. If you want to use equipment sets from dungeons (which are often better) you're stuck with the skins they have by default, or you use an outfit to cover them. With just the 1 outfit slot everyone gets by default the system works pretty much like the wardrobe in GW2. Then you have the option of buying additional slots to save additional armour sets (visual only, no stats) to switch between like you can with outfits in GW2.

On that basis I'd say for me it comes down to how much it costs to use this system. I was thinking of buying costume slots in ESO, but then I found out it costs 1,500 crowns - about £8 - and that only unlocks 1 extra slot on 1 character, if you want one on another character you have to buy it again. At that point I pretty much lost interest in the idea. I still haven't bought any outfit slots and since I mainly use crafted armour (for unrelated reasons) so I can customise it already I only really use the outfit slots to hide the ugly red weapons you're stuck with at max level. If slots were cheaper I might get some, but even when they're on sale the fact that I'd have to buy one for each character means it's still going to cost more than the option is worth for me.

(P.S. IMO when suggesting a new system like this it's better to focus on what it does without worrying so much about things like how the menu would be laid out or what exactly options would be called, because it's easier for people to follow when you're not going through every little detail, and it's highly likely Anet would do it their own way anyway.)