Deleted characters and birthdays

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> oh c'mon. no no no.

> NO NO NO.

> It's a 'Birthday reward for a reason'

> *hits head on wall*

> NO.

> what next? Complete set of ascended gear with those lvl80 boosts, along with a weapon and mats to start vison?

> I can't even.

>

Right, it's a birthday reward. Currently character birthday. He's requesting it be account birthday. He isn't asking for anything additional. The regular stuff would still be on character birthday. I honestly don't get the head-banging here. I don't have a horse in the race, incidently. My oldest character on both main and alt account are the same age as the account. But I /do/ see his point, and once I did want to remake that character. Right now she is a pack horse(on both accounts. Why I started with elementalist I will never know) but after being talked out of deleting, they have bag slots, and got makeovers and would NOT be deleted.

I can still see the point; and it's a good one.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > @"calb.3128" said:

> > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> >

> > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

>

> Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

I did read it and I didn't like it.

You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

But #nochages

P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > >

> > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> >

> > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

>

> I did read it and I didn't like it.

> You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> But #nochages

>

> P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

Why don't you like his suggestion?

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > Not getting something you don't qualify for is not punishment.

>

> Oh, but I did qualify. Suddenly, by deleting my first character, I don't qualify anymore. Therefore, deleting character is punishing. It is encouraged to keep characters even when you don't want them.

> I guess I should come to expect people like to get rewarded for not doing anything. Just like afk farmers.

No, choosing to give up a privilege is not you being punished.

Is my father being punished by Anet's decision to not give him log in rewards for GW2 when he never bought the game? No, he chose to not buy and play the game and so does not qualify for any rewards that would be offered for doing so.

ANet offers you rewards for keeping a character. You chose to forgo those rewards. That is not punishment. You got something that you wanted more than those rewards.

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > > >

> > > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> > >

> > > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

> >

> > I did read it and I didn't like it.

> > You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> > But #nochages

> >

> > P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

>

> Why don't you like his suggestion?

Because giving exclusive rewards based on our characters age, is a nice mechanic to reward you for sticking with a character for so long. And actually investing in him.

> > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > > > >

> > > > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> > > >

> > > > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

> > >

> > > I did read it and I didn't like it.

> > > You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> > > But #nochages

> > >

> > > P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

> >

> > Why don't you like his suggestion?

>

> Because giving exclusive rewards based on our characters age, is a nice mechanic to reward you for sticking with a character for so long. And actually investing in him.

But he's not suggesting to remove the character birthdays.

He's saying to leave the character birthdays in place and ADD account birthdays.

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > > > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > > > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> > > > >

> > > > > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

> > > >

> > > > I did read it and I didn't like it.

> > > > You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> > > > But #nochages

> > > >

> > > > P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

> > >

> > > Why don't you like his suggestion?

> >

> > Because giving exclusive rewards based on our characters age, is a nice mechanic to reward you for sticking with a character for so long. And actually investing in him.

>

> But he's not suggesting to remove the character birthdays.

>

> He's saying to leave the character birthdays in place and ADD account birthdays.

> So, in short:

> - every year, your character gets their birthday gift **(something non unique, but still neat and useful)**, obviously on their of their creation

> - every year player gets that **more unique gift for anniversary day of your account**

>

>

> Thoughts?

He is actually suggesting moving the unique rewards out of the birthday gift.

Well, they are already not part of the Birthday Gift.

They are a reward for the achievement: Hero: Birthday—Year 6 — You have a character that is more than 6 years old. (1 Achievement points Devoted Anniversary Achievement Box Title: Devoted This is a hidden achievement.)

So, in essence, the OP wants ArenaNet to change this achievement's requirements.

> > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > > > > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > > > > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

> > > > >

> > > > > I did read it and I didn't like it.

> > > > > You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> > > > > But #nochages

> > > > >

> > > > > P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

> > > >

> > > > Why don't you like his suggestion?

> > >

> > > Because giving exclusive rewards based on our characters age, is a nice mechanic to reward you for sticking with a character for so long. And actually investing in him.

> >

> > But he's not suggesting to remove the character birthdays.

> >

> > He's saying to leave the character birthdays in place and ADD account birthdays.

>

> > So, in short:

> > - every year, your character gets their birthday gift **(something non unique, but still neat and useful)**, obviously on their of their creation

> > - every year player gets that **more unique gift for anniversary day of your account**

> >

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> He is actually suggesting moving the unique rewards out of the birthday gift.

>

The dye kits we get aren't exactly unique. They are offered in the gem store. So are most of the weapon and armor packs given.

So far the few account gifts that have been inside of the character birthday gifts have been unique. This would also remove the necessary step of deleting Mini Queen Jenna every time a new character hit 1 year as I would move the mini-Jenna to the 1 year account anniversary given the wardrobe.

So I'm failing to see how his idea would be any different than what already happens except that the account birthday gifts are given out based on account age and not based on age of oldest character.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > Not getting something you don't qualify for is not punishment.

> >

> > Oh, but I did qualify. Suddenly, by deleting my first character, I don't qualify anymore. Therefore, deleting character is punishing. It is encouraged to keep characters even when you don't want them.

> > I guess I should come to expect people like to get rewarded for not doing anything. Just like afk farmers.

>

> No, choosing to give up a privilege is not you being punished.

>

> Is my father being punished by Anet's decision to not give him log in rewards for GW2 when he never bought the game? No, he chose to not buy and play the game and so does not qualify for any rewards that would be offered for doing so.

>

> ANet offers you rewards for keeping a character. You chose to forgo those rewards. That is not punishment. You got something that you wanted more than those rewards.

Bad analogy. Your father never qualified in the first place, while I had, for 6 years. I had to make a decision between two bad choices. Either I continue to let my character collect dust or delete and miss out on rewards. Does that mean a change for the better cannot be made or should not even be proposed? Can't believe people feel so strong about opposing more freedom of choice. You'd think they follow that "play how you want" idea. Instead, they are arguing here strongly against the idea, that hurts them in no way.

Whatever you wan to call it, it makes no difference in the end. I have made my arguments for the change I proposed. If you will feel better, forget about punishment part and the idea and arguments won't change at all.

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > > > > > > @"calb.3128" said:

> > > > > > > > This topic keeps appearing but without any new arguments to advance it.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The sense of entitlement on here can at times be staggering. :(

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Not my fault if I have to repeat what I already said. Just look at post above, that says no changes because he likes his toons to have birthday gifts, while just above and ten times more above that, I said I never asked for birthday gifts to be removed.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I did read it and I didn't like it.

> > > > > > You decide to delete your characters instead of buying slots. I'm happy that you shared your idea with me.

> > > > > > But #nochages

> > > > > >

> > > > > > P.S. Why did you delete your characters?

> > > > >

> > > > > Why don't you like his suggestion?

> > > >

> > > > Because giving exclusive rewards based on our characters age, is a nice mechanic to reward you for sticking with a character for so long. And actually investing in him.

> > >

> > > But he's not suggesting to remove the character birthdays.

> > >

> > > He's saying to leave the character birthdays in place and ADD account birthdays.

> >

> > > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > > So, in short:

> > > - every year, your character gets their birthday gift **(something non unique, but still neat and useful)**, obviously on their of their creation

> > > - every year player gets that **more unique gift for anniversary day of your account**

> > >

> > >

> > > Thoughts?

> >

> > He is actually suggesting moving the unique rewards out of the birthday gift.

> >

>

> The dye kits we get aren't exactly unique. They are offered in the gem store. So are most of the weapon and armor packs given.

>

> So far the few account gifts that have been inside of the character birthday gifts have been unique. This would also remove the necessary step of deleting Mini Queen Jenna every time a new character hit 1 year as I would move the mini-Jenna to the 1 year account anniversary given the wardrobe.

>

> So I'm failing to see how his idea would be any different than what already happens except that the account birthday gifts are given out based on account age and not based on age of oldest character.

Deleting Queen Jenna is one of the things I do enjoy and I should really create a new alt, cause most are now 2 years old.

Kinda looks like a human character there.

I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Kinda looks like a human character there.

>

> I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

That's Norn. I'd change to Charr if I could with gems. Offensive human was waiting and collecting dust three years in hope for that. I did not suddenly gotten an issue with this mechanics. See that Asura guardian? I completely forgot about him. He is closing in on 6th year. (others are less than a year old, but I'll keep them). I would like to delete Asura as well. I kept him mostly because he has almost all crafting professions finished. And birthday gift is an extra. But I'd like to delete him and probably will after 6th year. It's just a shame that they put exclusive rewards behind birthday gift of character. I simply wished to express my opinion and suggestion if Anet would consider doing anything about this at some point. Didn't expect people to go crazy and oppose the idea, like it's going to crush whole game down.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > Kinda looks like a human character there.

> >

> > I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

>

> That's Norn. I'd change to Charr if I could with gems. Offensive human was waiting and collecting dust three years in hope for that. I did not suddenly gotten an issue with this mechanics. See that Asura guardian? I completely forgot about him. He is closing in on 6th year. (others are less than a year old, but I'll keep them). I would like to delete Asura as well. I kept him mostly because he has almost all crafting professions finished. And birthday gift is an extra. But I'd like to delete him and probably will after 6th year. It's just a shame that they put exclusive rewards behind birthday gift of character. I simply wished to express my opinion and suggestion if Anet would consider doing anything about this at some point. Didn't expect people to go crazy and oppose the idea, like it's going to crush whole game down.

I suggest you wait to delete the forgotten Asura until your suggestion is implemented.

If not, the choice to forego the rewards will be deliberate.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > Kinda looks like a human character there.

> >

> > I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

>

> That's Norn. I'd change to Charr if I could with gems. Offensive human was waiting and collecting dust three years in hope for that. I did not suddenly gotten an issue with this mechanics. See that Asura guardian? I completely forgot about him. He is closing in on 6th year. (others are less than a year old, but I'll keep them). I would like to delete Asura as well. I kept him mostly because he has almost all crafting professions finished. And birthday gift is an extra. But I'd like to delete him and probably will after 6th year. It's just a shame that they put exclusive rewards behind birthday gift of character. I simply wished to express my opinion and suggestion if Anet would consider doing anything about this at some point. Didn't expect people to go crazy and oppose the idea, like it's going to crush whole game down.

I get not wanting to hold onto characters you don't want to play anymore. But with the unused character slots, you could park them somewhere to get daily jumping puzzle rewards and collect gifts until you need the spot for a new character?

At least for something to do until when and if ANet implements something like you want suggest.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > Kinda looks like a human character there.

> > >

> > > I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

> >

> > That's Norn. I'd change to Charr if I could with gems. Offensive human was waiting and collecting dust three years in hope for that. I did not suddenly gotten an issue with this mechanics. See that Asura guardian? I completely forgot about him. He is closing in on 6th year. (others are less than a year old, but I'll keep them). I would like to delete Asura as well. I kept him mostly because he has almost all crafting professions finished. And birthday gift is an extra. But I'd like to delete him and probably will after 6th year. It's just a shame that they put exclusive rewards behind birthday gift of character. I simply wished to express my opinion and suggestion if Anet would consider doing anything about this at some point. Didn't expect people to go crazy and oppose the idea, like it's going to crush whole game down.

>

> I suggest you wait to delete the forgotten Asura until your suggestion is implemented.

> If not, the choice to forego the rewards will be deliberate.

Thanks, I'll think about it, but I doubt I will keep him. Like I said, I was aware that I'll be missing on the gift, when I deleted my first one and same will be with this. I'll just have to live with it. But doesn't mean it's not worth making a topic about it and provide an idea for potential change some day. I'll let Anet decide that. Fingers crossed.

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > Kinda looks like a human character there.

> > >

> > > I don't know, there are extra character slots; seems like it would have been prudent to wait to delete the 'offensive' human character until the Achievement had been changed, rather than requesting the change after the fact. (Especially since it was acknowledged that it was known it would affect the acquisition of rewards.)

> >

> > That's Norn. I'd change to Charr if I could with gems. Offensive human was waiting and collecting dust three years in hope for that. I did not suddenly gotten an issue with this mechanics. See that Asura guardian? I completely forgot about him. He is closing in on 6th year. (others are less than a year old, but I'll keep them). I would like to delete Asura as well. I kept him mostly because he has almost all crafting professions finished. And birthday gift is an extra. But I'd like to delete him and probably will after 6th year. It's just a shame that they put exclusive rewards behind birthday gift of character. I simply wished to express my opinion and suggestion if Anet would consider doing anything about this at some point. Didn't expect people to go crazy and oppose the idea, like it's going to crush whole game down.

>

> I get not wanting to hold onto characters you don't want to play anymore. But with the unused character slots, you could park them somewhere to get daily jumping puzzle rewards and collect gifts until you need the spot for a new character?

>

> At least for something to do until when and if ANet implements something like you want suggest.

I know, thanks for tips, but that's not how I play. I do things I enjoy and don't concern myself with things I don't care about, like achievement points for example. I have enough gold and enough skins that I wanted to enjoy the game at my pace.

why they didnt make it so that our accounts would get the birthday gift, like me and many others have been here since we bought the base game.

i deleted my first character because it had a really cringy name lol. it was like 6 years old. it says ive played for 2,352 days across all characters

wonder what gifts i lost :(

edit:well, i think i remember deleting it because i hated being an asura too lol

People with 20 characters will get 20 birthday gifts every year.

Characters birthday could be expanded with an extra account birthday gift.

The same ones you get on your characters

Even if you deleted your first characters, you would still get a birthday gift that way.

And those with 20 characters would get 21 birthday gifts every year.

> @"Puma.3645" said:

> why they didnt make it so that our accounts would get the birthday gift, like me and many others have been here since we bought the base game.

>

> **i deleted my first character because it had a really cringy name** lol. it was like 6 years old. it says ive played for 2,352 days across all characters

> wonder what gifts i lost :(

>

[Name change contract](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Name_Change_Contract)

If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.

Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

> @"Daishi.6027" said:

> If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.

> Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

>

> If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

>

> You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/51114/suggestion-make-anniversary-reward-account-based/p1

> >

> > This is suggested about this time of the year every year, last year Gaile posted the following:

> >

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > I deleted quite a few characters in the early days of Guild Wars. But as the person who actually proposed the idea of "birthday rewards," I am not upset about how it worked out, which meant that I did not receive my birthday gifts as early as others who didn't delete their first characters.

> > >

> > > After all, people have birthdays, not accounts, and I look on my characters as a virtual "person." :)

> >

> > Seems like solid reasoning to me. Although Gaile is no longer with the company I would be surprised if they decided to change their minds now.

>

> I did not ask to remove birthday gifts. I'm not sure what are you trying to say here.

Not sure where you got _anything_ about removing birthday gifts _but_ Gaile's post was in response to someone else who wanted to base large presents like armour and weapon skins on account age rather than character age, basically what you are asking for.

The response is that these are birthday gifts and people (ie characters) have birthdays, accounts don't.