Is the Springer a rabbit or a kangaroo?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Ardid.7203 said:

> I'm not going to vote on a poll so ill informed. The Springer is a giant Jerboa. A somewhat too rabbit-like one, but a Jerboa anyway.

> Edit: In the end I voted for Neither, just to see the results...

> @xikira.3264 said:

> I think it was based of the kangaroo rat honestly also called a jerboa

>

After watching the video, I can see the correlation between Springer and Jerboa especially the part where it says jerboas can jump 5 times higher than its body length or something, but I'm still not convinced it's a jerboa. The thick legs and tail with the Springer are more kangaroo-like.

@People saying it's a rabbit, I'm sorry but carrots are not actually main food of rabbits lol... it's actuallly hay and that grass lucen or something. Also rabbits don't hop on two feet.

Rip@ this thread turning into a Biology lesson though. Can @Anet officials confirm whether the designer was inspired by jerboas or kangaroos?

> @Samnang.1879 said:

>

> Rip@ this thread turning into a Biology lesson though. Can @Anet officials confirm whether the designer was inspired by jerboas or kangaroos?

Why? Why does Anet have to make an official statement on whether the Springer is a rabbit or a kangaroo? That's pointless.

And no, carrots _aren't_ the primary food of rabbits, but _they are the stereotype food_ people associate with rabbits. Real Life Biology doesn't matter when you've got dragons that eat magic and gods coming out of the mists to destroy the world. There is _some_ realism to a degree, but let's be honest, this is a fantasy game.

You also kinda destroyed your poll by including the joke option. :p

> @costepj.5120 said:

> It's a Springer. That's why mine is called Jerry.

Someone in my guild asked where to find the Springer back a little after launch or so, and I said: "Find Jerry" jokingly. At the time, I had no idea where to get it either.

> @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

> > @Samnang.1879 said:

> >

> > Rip@ this thread turning into a Biology lesson though. Can @Anet officials confirm whether the designer was inspired by jerboas or kangaroos?

>

> Why? Why does Anet have to make an official statement on whether the Springer is a rabbit or a kangaroo? That's pointless.

>

> And no, carrots _aren't_ the primary food of rabbits, but _they are the stereotype food_ people associate with rabbits. Real Life Biology doesn't matter when you've got dragons that eat magic and gods coming out of the mists to destroy the world. There is _some_ realism to a degree, but let's be honest, this is a fantasy game.

>

> You also kinda destroyed your poll by including the joke option. :p

As a fan of gw2, is it wrong to want to know what inspired something? There are vids of devs talking about blah blah that inspired blah blah... I happen to what to know what inspired springer, which is the most fascinating of the mounts. Nobody can agree whether it's a rabbit, jerboa or kangaroo. The other mounts, everyone can agree it's a certain animal, e.g. a raptor is a raptor, you can't say it's a horse.

Well it was meant to amuse ppl... which is what this forum needs tbh... considering most threads are complaint threads. I want to bring something new to the forum. I also want to make a poll, "Is choya the ugly cousin of cactuar?"... but I don't think it would be well received.

> @Ardid.7203 said:

> I'm not going to vote on a poll so ill informed. The Springer is a giant Jerboa. A somewhat too rabbit-like one, but a Jerboa anyway.

> Edit: In the end I voted for Neither, just to see the results...

It's a fake animal in a fake game that looks nothing like a Jerboa. Get off your high horse.

> @"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:

> It sounds like a goat.

lol, my thoughts as well. I was even going to say to add goat to that "mix" xD

> @"AegisRunestone.8672" said:

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> >

> > Rip@ this thread turning into a Biology lesson though. Can @Anet officials confirm whether the designer was inspired by jerboas or kangaroos?

>

> Why? Why does Anet have to make an official statement on whether the Springer is a rabbit or a kangaroo? That's pointless.

> There is _some_ realism to a degree, but let's be honest, this is a fantasy game.

Well, as you even said it's a fantasy game, it can be whatever people thinks it can be, but also people can be curious to know what inspires devs to make something. I think really interesting when a dev comes out and says that they made X thing inspired on thing A or B. And it doesn't hurt to ask them to come and say so.

> You also kinda destroyed your poll by including the joke option. :p

Also, was it a very serious poll about a very serious question about a very serious subject about a very serious product? :P Nah, the whole poll itself was a joke and stuff for fun. Although I see a ":P" in your statement then I'd assume you were also joking there.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > I'm not going to vote on a poll so ill informed. The Springer is a giant Jerboa. A somewhat too rabbit-like one, but a Jerboa anyway.

> > Edit: In the end I voted for Neither, just to see the results...

>

> It's a fake animal in a fake game that looks nothing like a Jerboa. Get off your high horse.

That was unneeded and uncalled for.

They are neither and they are both. It is very clear that rabbits is at the very least part of the inspiration source, denying that is silly. But it is not the only inspiration source. Kangaroo seems very obvious too, given the posture and the tail (besides the extra fluff that is a kangaroo tail). After seeing jerboa here too I think that is probably in there too... especially since it makes a ton of sense given the enviroment it lives in... also that could explain the fluff on the tail.