very misleading how outfits in the gemstore are of

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> The outfits I've bought look just as good if not better (Timekeeper's Outfit!!!) in the game as they do in the store. Settings?

I love the timekeeper outfit. The new one is worth my saving to buy, and I like the defiant glass outfit enough to earn the gold to get it. I think they always end up looking just as they do when previewing them. I think it may be a lighting thing in the OPs case.

> @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

Thre preview window uses no anti-aliasing. Perhaps the anti-aliasing multiplier you use is too high? Try the lower value of "SMAA Low". Also, activate "High-Res Character Textures". Post-processing can also cause a blurry effect on top of everything.

Think of the preview window as a photo of you taken by a professional, magazine photographer, after a renown hollywood stylist made your hair/applied makeup and then retouched by Kim Kardashian's personal editor.

Then when you get the armor and see it in the real game world, it is basically your selfie taken at 1 PM with a crappy 1MP cellphone camera after you woke up with a huge hangover. Try to check youtube videos or something like that when buying outfits to see how they really look.

> @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> A perfect example of OP’s explanation would be the Bloodstone Visage. It has a very intense red glow in preview. In game, though, you can barely see the red color as it is barely more than a tint.

yeah i actually was going to mention this along with a few others but i've said my piece... i remember working for bloodstone visage because of how cool it looked in the preview and after the work to get it and finally equipping it i was very underwhelmed.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

>

> Thre preview window uses no anti-aliasing. Perhaps the anti-aliasing multiplier you use is too high? Try the lower value of "SMAA Low". Also, activate "High-Res Character Textures". Post-processing can also cause a blurry effect on top of everything.

i play at 4k and i do have smaa high on shouldnt that make it look better though??? like more crisp less jaggy? and i feel post processing gives more visual pop dont know if i want to lower it.

> @"Nury.3062" said:

> The lighting in the preview window does not adapt to the lighting of the environment you are in.

>

>they should have the preview reflect whatever environment you are currently in, NOT what it could look like in the best conditions.

> > Thre preview window uses no anti-aliasing. Perhaps the anti-aliasing multiplier you use is too high? Try the lower value of "SMAA Low". Also, activate "High-Res Character Textures". Post-processing can also cause a blurry effect on top of everything.

>

> i play at 4k and i do have smaa high on shouldnt that make it look better though??? like more crisp less jaggy? and i feel post processing gives more visual pop dont know if i want to lower it.

1. This is for testing purposes only. If the things I listed are not the cause of the issue, then you can revert the changes at any time, no?

2. There is a reason I mentioned that the Preview window uses _no_ AA. Higher anti-aliasing can make things look _less_ crisp as it is smoothing edges. You won't know until you have tested it.

> > @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> > >but a new outfit should always look good as advertised no matter where i am core/pvp/hot/pof

> >

> > You paid for an outfit with certain textures, light maps, and specularity maps, and shaders attached to it. Those are *always* on the outfit, no matter where you are. When you are in an older map those are still present on the outfit, but the map simply is not using some of them, or using them in a different way. Which is to be expected considering this game came out 7 years ago, started development many years before that, and most of it's team's resources are spent on new content and balancing.

> >

> > In any game with dynamic lighting, how a character looks is subject to the environment. So you got what you paid for.

> >

> >

>

> not really if they wanted to be non misleading in this sense they should have the preview reflect whatever environment you are currently in, NOT what it could look like in the best conditions. they can do that much.

that would be horrible.

The preview is 'neutral' and good as it is. I spend a lot of time of maps skewing perceptions (POF with its contrasts, HOT, Caledon). So A preview taking my map into account would give me a very wrong impression. But thanks to being neutral, I can deduce how it will look in other maps.

Idk if someone's mentioned this already as I haven't read every reply but it's probably a lighting issue if I had to take a guess. In the preview they most likely used some preview specific lighting which is optimal for previewing skins. The lighting in the actual game environment you're in is way different between areas. For instance some times my dyes will look perfectly fine in one area only to go to another and the lighting will drastically change something about hue, saturation, and some times even gloss.