Anet doesnt realize how big of a goldmine they have with outfit skins

Man, you all are here discussing the options of turning outfits into individual pieces and here I am on Aura Kingdom admiring the insane amount of fashion they have. Seriously, whole outfits, hats, weapon costumes, back items, etc. If GW2 had the insane amount of fashion that this game does, I'd be broke every single time they released new fashion.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

> >

> > If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.

> > I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

>

> Creating individual pieces makes them “armor”. Outfits are less resource and time intensive to produce.

>

>

>

> “Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.”

>

>

thats totally different, since these all are one model, not three different kinds of sets. Also they are already made in the game unlike a brand new set of armor, and its already build around the races already. Thats a total different thing from making Outfits into separate parts.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

>

> If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.

> I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

Except splitting the parts require more work on their part. And people are already buying all outfits, so why bother?

P.S. Pretty much every single person on the planet had that idea at one point in time. Use the forum search or google next time.

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

> > >

> > > If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.

> > > I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

> >

> > Creating individual pieces makes them “armor”. Outfits are less resource and time intensive to produce.

> >

> >

> >

> > “Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.”

> >

> >

>

> thats totally different, since these all are one model, not three different kinds of sets. Also they are already made in the game unlike a brand new set of armor, and its already build around the races already. Thats a total different thing from making Outfits into separate parts.

Are you saying that outfits, which are onesies, won’t need to be cut into separate parts to match the seams of heavy, medium and light armor. (Seams which are not identical for all 3 weights). They also will need to have the current points of attachment deleted and new ones added for each weight. And the part where they said armor is complicated and needs to be created with many considerations in mind, something that doesn’t apply to onesies made fast and cheap.

Edit: Dye channels are also a problem as outfit dye channels don’t have the same areas as armor dye channels and each armor weight has dye channels that cover different areas (for example medium chest dye channels can extend to the ankles while heavy armor chest dye channels stop at the waist.)

It appears that you think that just because they done a couple of step of armor production that they’ve done all the steps and all that is needed is to take some “scissors”, cut it up and there ya go, new armor. Reading over what they have said about what is needed in making armor should disabuse you of that idea.

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

> > >

> > > If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.

> > > I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

> >

> > Creating individual pieces makes them “armor”. Outfits are less resource and time intensive to produce.

> >

> >

> >

> > “Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.”

> >

> >

>

> thats totally different, since these all are one model, not three different kinds of sets. Also they are already made in the game unlike a brand new set of armor, and its already build around the races already. Thats a total different thing from making Outfits into separate parts.

Not sure what the disconnect here is...

Outfits = 1 piece

Armor = 6 pieces

Making “outfits” into 6 pieces makes them “armor”...

Do you understand now? Please tell me you get it?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > > Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

> > > >

> > > > If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.

> > > > I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

> > >

> > > Creating individual pieces makes them “armor”. Outfits are less resource and time intensive to produce.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > “Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.”

> > >

> > >

> >

> > thats totally different, since these all are one model, not three different kinds of sets. Also they are already made in the game unlike a brand new set of armor, and its already build around the races already. Thats a total different thing from making Outfits into separate parts.

>

> Not sure what the disconnect here is...

>

> Outfits = 1 piece

>

> Armor = 6 pieces

>

> Making “outfits” into 6 pieces makes them “armor”...

>

> Do you understand now? Please tell me you get it?

Dont use common sence mate, thats not fair to some people.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> The clipping issue really only highlights how big of a mistake it was to make Gw2 a multi playble race game.. specially when you factor in how completely irrelevant your race and decisions becomes after you join one of the 3 orders in the personal story.

>

> Once the story merged into the orders those story choices diminished from 5 different races to 3 different orders .. and later on they all merged into a single Pact story ark and then into a progressing story where your race and previous creation choices mean utterly nothing.

>

> Don't get me wrong.. I get why Anet did this but if they had predicted it they could have saved themselves a lot of time, effort and money keeping Gw2 a single playable race game like the original.

> Gw2 could have been pretty different.. personal story could have been pretty different and maybe better as a result, and there certainly wouldn't be a need to hire and bring back 10 different PC voice actors per every living world release.

>

> This only further highlighted by the fact that each race has no special features or traits.. race skills being little more than a joke or novelty rather than a viable alternative to your class skills, again get why Anet did it but it still proves my point that having multiple playable races was a mistake.

>

> I know a lot of people don't like that opinion and they may even feel like Gw2 wouldn't a game they'd care for if they couldn't play as an Asura or Charr or Norn etc..

> But if Anet only had to make armor for a single class/frame, only had to write the PC from the perspective of a single race, only had to hire 2 voice acters and bring them back for living world.

> Content would likely be coming out much quicker and the Pc wouldn't be so much of a generic blank slate which has long been a criticism people have had, which is largely due to how the PC has to be written to incorporate all 5 races and can't differ much if at all in conversation.. even though there is a blatantly obvious personality shift between each different race.

>

> Should the time come when a Gw3 comes around, I do hope Anet reconsiders going back to a single playable race, just to save themselves a lot of hastle..

> Or at the very least make each race unique enough to warrant having..

> They could do that in Gw2 to if they just made racial skills viable in exclusively open world PvE.. or reworked them into special f6-0 abilities to give each race a little unique element that can be played with.. I know a lot of Norn players would love to be able to utalize their animal form into their normal buid even if it were only cosmetic.

> It's a defining powerful aspect of their race in the lore, yet the commander, one of their races greatest heroes.. never uses it.

I have to admit, if they had gone the route you describe, I know a number of players that wouldn't have come here, myself included. The diversity is what made it interesting and the various options gave it depth. I do think it was mistake to nerf race abilities and believe they should have keep them a defining factor since it added another layer into custom character build outs. The reason they were nerfed was the fear that one racial trait would dominate but would have preferred they gave use reasons to have each race and class by employing interesting and challenging racial traits and abilities. No if they went back to more limited in GW3, wouldn't continue with the game. Though not an MMO the Civilization model is a good one for game design, with each game a third should be bringing back old concepts that were well received, a third should the same as the last game and a third should be brand new. Almost 28 years in now and still a strong series. That's not a bad way to be. Good gaming to you!