Problem with the Mounts

Rikimaru.7890

Now I already made a topic about why I find them useless, some people agreed some didn't, so perfectly normal.

But regardless the Mounts are on their way very soon, so it's irrelevant how we feel about them.

However I have a different concern now because the way I see it they have not been implemented properly.

I mean there are only 4 mounts in total and mounts usually are also a cosmetic feature in MMO's.

I know we can dye them and will probably be able to give them themes in time like a santa hat when wintersday comes etc etc.

But the way it looks right now we can't exactly use a completely different skin.

Given that Guild Wars 2 is often called Fashion Wars 2 I find it a strange decision.

What I mean is mounts usually are only 1 but have many skins, just like Gliders we can use skins that are flashy, simple, festive, bizarre etc.

It's the same Glider as always only looks and/or sounds different.

So thats pretty much how mounts work in MMO's too, you have 1 mount but can make it look like many different things.

There are mounts that are vehicles, animals, animate objects etc.

We should be able to ride anything, like I hear a lot of people would like a Wyvern mount, personally I would ride a giant Vampire Bat.

People are hyped now but they will soon get bored of riding their Skimmer all the time.

Why Skimmer you ask? Because it's the only mount that you can ride on water too so it's the most universally useful in non-PoF maps.

And imagine how much you can work with a blank sheet mount here, like when Halloween comes you could get a Skeleton Horse mount, or during wintersday a mount that looks like a Santas sleigh. There could be "flying" mounts, I say flying but I mean ones that only look as if they are flying but not really, they would work kinda like the Witches Broom toy, you get what I mean right?

I don't know really what to think.

Maybe there will be a 5th mount thats "custom" and it will be able to look like anything and while it won't have any skills it will still benefit from the T4 mastery buffs from the other 4 mounts? But if so what about the riding on water feature of the Skimmer? I mean the mounts would have to be separated into aquatic and non-aquatic just like Ranger pets.

Thoughts?

I think mostly it's going to be the standard mounts with unusual coloration patterns, or different riding gear on them. And I'm actually okay with that. There's only so much we need to be able to decorate our mounts before it goes over the top and annoying.

Gliders can be very flashy because we simply can't have them out all the time, and some of them are still a problem. Let's avoid that problem with mounts.

I think it's fine as is. It gives us more diversity, and certain areas that require a specific one to progress. I imagine I will camp the Skimmer until the novelty wear off or I desperately need to reach somewhere. :P + it gives anet another income in each mount needing a different gemstore skin to be relevant. :) maybe that will give them initative to make more armour sets (rather than outfits). Here's hoping!

In relevance to other MMO's, which to be fair anet hasn't made a whole lot of attempts at copying in the past, all the different cash shop skins for mounts usually have different set of abilities as well, like increased movement speed, increased bag capacity and other QoL buffs. I'd prefer it if that weren't the case in Guild Wars 2, but all gemstore skins (maybe we even can get in-game items to customise the looks), were just cosmetic, and if there are mount buffs they are separate purchases or unlocks and they work across all mounts on your account.

> @DeanBB.4268 said:

> Why do you assume there will not be mounts sold in the gem store? I assume there will be, just like the gliders. I assume the gem sales for mounts to be the primary money-maker for PoF, just like gliders for HoT.

I don't, but which mount would get which skin then? As it is there would have to be different skins for each of the 4 mounts so you may not be able to use any skin on every mount. On the other hand if you will be able to make any mount look like anything then what is the purpose of having 4 different in the first place? I mean it should be possible to make the Skimmer look like the Raptor and vice-versa by that logic.

And the new mounts would sold in gemstore would not have any new mastery obviously.

We shall see soon, I guess, but I don't see a huge problem selling mount skins for gems. I assume that each skin will be mount specific - i.e. here's a new moa skin for your raptor! They will be more limited than the gliders were, but it's still doable.

I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to say or what your argument is. My assumption is that skins would be mount specific and not vary wildly from the original silhouette. i.e. bunny could be a kangaroo, but not a snake. I don't see the problem with selling a specific skin per mount. After all, each mount is a mastery and gliding is it's own mastery. We didn't see skins on the gem shop to change bouncing mushrooms to marshmallows or wallows to slides.

Skins will most likely be sold on gem store. I dont see any reason for you to worry about that. Like you yourself point out gw2 focuses a lot on skins so why do you assume the mounts wont have skins?

But, even if i change the skin on the gear my asura wears he is still an asura so i assume the base of the mount will be the same. Atleast to start with!

> @Rikimaru.7890 said:

> > @DeanBB.4268 said:

> > Why do you assume there will not be mounts sold in the gem store? I assume there will be, just like the gliders. I assume the gem sales for mounts to be the primary money-maker for PoF, just like gliders for HoT.

>

> I don't, but which mount would get which skin then? As it is there would have to be different skins for each of the 4 mounts so you may not be able to use any skin on every mount. On the other hand if you will be able to make any mount look like anything then what is the purpose of having 4 different in the first place? I mean it should be possible to make the Skimmer look like the Raptor and vice-versa by that logic.

> And the new mounts would sold in gemstore would not have any new mastery obviously.

You assume that the mount skins will differ drastically from their base. Even if they do have skins that differ from the base your assumption is where the line should be and that line being a problem. If there is no limit in regards to skin design, there indeed could be a problem and i hope they don't go that far.

There's no shortage of variants of each mount without resorting to other base looks such as a feathered raptor or a manta ray skimmer, but in doing so, you may not have the option to ride on a vampire bat.