What is the difference between a season and a saga ?

From what they said I understood it to be that they will be adding new story related content through more than instanced story. So things will be done through open world events being added and expanded.

So I think it will be like current events were given steroids so they can have a greater influence on the story that is happening and it will be paired with instanced story content.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Aaralyna.3104" said:

> We will not know before we experience it and I guess we cannot judge based on the epilogue either

You mean **pro**logue. :) Epilogue is the final chapter at the end of a work of literature etc.

I still believe the prologue will be just like an episode/chapter and that they picked these terms (saga, prologue) only to make it sound more dramatic - and it does. ;)

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> i hope is like a NeverWinter similar concept that they call "campaign". in a "campaign", u had histories, achievments and progression very tied and in some sort of sinergy. u really fell completing and progressing the content instead of just rush history/farm maps/do some achievs. i hope the devs read this and borrow the concept in a gw2 way.

It would be too late at this point to provide suggestions, so we can only hope it will be as compelling as a campaign. Basically, classic role-playing campaigns are exactly what makes for great story-telling as they are conclusive within themselves and wrap up at the end and provide a lot of variety as they guide you from one adventure to the next.

I seem to remember someone trying to ask and them not answering? Or maybe I am thinking of a review I was watching.

My guess is they are doing this so they do not get pinned down. A season for the past two years was 6 episodes. It was also 1.5-2 years (even though almost everything else that uses the word has it once a year). This way it can be 2 mini-episodes or 20 (plus without saying how long it will be between them) and they can still say that is how long they planned the saga to be.

Yes, I said mini-episodes as it sounds like it will be closer to the season 2 style and not everything we are now used to with a release.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> It's both! "Living World Season 5: The Icebrood Saga."

>

> But specifically:

> Season (in context): A specific time of production, or number of episodes

> Saga: An epic story

That's a good description for it, here's my take on the difference for it.

First thing first Anet don't talk about expansions anymore because they are being phased out.

They don't admit to it because players will quit, at least many would.

Since they are expert at being evasive and playing mind games, here's their strategy I think.

They said season 4 will be followed by season 5 to avoid telling us no more expansion, which should have been here late in the year or early 2020.

Beside expansions takes too long which is why we now move from LS to Saga or epic story as @ Stise stated if this new format is successful they will become

small expansions. Since nothing in this world is free in time Sagas will become Saga DLC with a price tag.

And they don't admit any of it because the fan base would shrink which is also why in preparation of this we had this 45 minute new player hunt. :s

Why are people taking the host's obvious tease so seriously? Season 5 is the Icebrood Saga. It is not either/or. It is a season, and it is being called a saga for flavor. Perhaps in lieu of an expansion, they wanted to give Season 5 more of an identity. I wouldn't read any deeper than that.

Two letters.

And the freedom in content pacing.

With a season, every episode had to have a content value, map, events, achievements, journal, etc.

With the saga they have a defined content that will be complete at some point. Not necessarily more or less, but the page isn't equivalent chunks.

We can have a prologue, a big map, then several small dialogue events, then a big mission, then another event. Etc

They did briefly touch on this after the trailer was shown, but I can't find a recording of the live stream and most of what I remember is being irritated by the poorly acted pretence of the host wanting to slip in his own question about the word saga, conveniently just at the point when they'd brought out two narrative writers who had clearly rehearsed answers to exactly that question. So I was distracted from what they actually said.

But the general impression I got was that they want to move away from the impression some players have of each episode being seperate and something you do once and then never go back to. They talked about bosses whose abilities will change over time and I think there was mention of returning to locations, so I suspect they're going back to what they did in Season 1 and 2 where instead of a new map with each episode, which is only used once, we'll keep going back to the same locations and maybe they'll be changed by the events there.

I'm not sure calling it a saga is an effective way of conveying that, as people have said in other topics saga really just means a very long story, but I guess that's the name they liked. 'The Icebrood Non-episodic Story' doesn't sound as good.

> @"RyuDragnier.9476" said:

> > @"Ryukai.6524" said:

> > > @"DutchRiders.2871" said:

> > > Wouldn't be surprised its saga= living world + price tag.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The fact that they made a point of the fact that the 'prologue' is free, kinda has me worried about this too :/

> This should help you with that fear. https://i.redd.it/3vqwtg97uoj31.jpg

And here it is in the announcement on the main GW2 website: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/the-icebrood-saga-begins-september-17/

"Episodes of The Icebrood Saga can be unlocked for free by logging in to Guild Wars 2 while they’re currently live (between an episode’s release date and the date of the next episode release). If you own Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, you can play the episodes right away. If you don’t own the expansion, your unlocked episodes will be available to play as soon as you upgrade your account by purchasing it."

Basically it works exactly the same as Season 2, 3 and 4. I suspect the emphasis on it being free is because they knew there might be people in the audience who don't currently play GW2 and wanted to make sure they understood this isn't paid DLC like it would be in most games. It ties into the talk about selling HoT and PoF together - the overall message is if you like what you're hearing you can go ahead and buy PoF now and not worry about what else it will cost for you to get the new storyline.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> i hope is like a NeverWinter similar concept that they call "campaign". in a "campaign", u had histories, achievments and progression very tied and in some sort of sinergy. u really fell completing and progressing the content instead of just rush history/farm maps/do some achievs. i hope the devs read this and borrow the concept in a gw2 way.

>

> heres some screenshots.

>

> ![](https://i.redd.it/w3peub7wqh221.jpg "")

> ...

> ![](https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/neverwinter_gamepedia/0/0f/The_Maze_Engine_Campaign_Progress_Tree.jpg "")

> ...

> https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/49853844526080161/EA39BDA56224CD88E0D4DB03D2D99DF204359FEF/?imw=1024&imh=768&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

I've never played Neverwinter Online, so maybe I'm missing something but to me the difference between "really feeling completing and progressing content" through histories, achievement and progression vs. "rush history, farm maps, do some achieves" is the players attitude - whether they want to pay attention to the story or simply see it as stuff to clear as fast as possible so they can go back to whatever they were doing before.

Maybe the order of things comes into play too. I've often said to get the most from GW2's story you need to do the open-world stuff at the same time because it all ties in together, whereas I get the impression some people will focus entirely on completing the story instances, then any achievements they want to do, then the meta-event (if there is one) and if you do each bit in isolation without thinking about how it relates to the rest of the release it would seem more disjointed.

> @"RyuDragnier.9476" said:

> > @"Ryukai.6524" said:

> > > @"DutchRiders.2871" said:

> > > Wouldn't be surprised its saga= living world + price tag.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The fact that they made a point of the fact that the 'prologue' is free, kinda has me worried about this too :/

> This should help you with that fear. https://i.redd.it/3vqwtg97uoj31.jpg

Thanks for that. ?

Hopefully they don't decide to 'change their minds' at the last minute, like all other game companies seem to be doing lately :/

It’s simply branding.

It happens with movies and games all the time, by the time they get to around the 3rd or 4th entry they start to drop the number. It’s a way of getting new people into the series without alienating them.

Living World Season 5 suggests you should probably have played the last 4 seasons. Calling it a Saga sets it apart, without hinting to new players the amount of catching up they’ll need to do, hence making it a more convincing entry point for new players, simple.

> @"EzLIghT.1354" said:

> Hi everyone, i'm here to speak about the future season, which isn't a season but a saga, anyone know why they call it differently ?

Probably because a saga will have less content than a season.

The recent seasons were made of episodes in which every release had:

* A new map, with at least one new meta event

* A new legendary weapon

* Assorted other features

Looks like a saga will not have a new map for every release (they may add half of a map on a release and add more to the same map on the next, for example), and nothing has been said of new legendary weapons or a new meta event per release.

So looks like a saga will be less than a season.

Hm ... maybe the difference can be explained by a general example ... for me, a season is what a TV show has. A normal season (like the office or GoT etc.) with episodes. But a saga is far more, for example Star Wars ("The Star Wars Saga"). So , in this example, we compare a episode with a movie. So, maybe we can expect more content etc. ....

Let this sink in, they aren't going the way of expansions anymore, they take too long, Sooner or later they will have to make you pay for content and that content will become known as $$$ Saga DLC $$$. B)

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> With no expansion in sight. "saga" is supposed to fill the roles of both LS and the xpac in terms of content. With expansions ,seasons were meant as "prologues" to them, that's not what "saga" is supposed to be. Saga is both LS and xpac in one.

> At least that's what they want us to believe.

Exactly, read between the lines fan boys. :o

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > @"EzLIghT.1354" said:

> > Hi everyone, i'm here to speak about the future season, which isn't a season but a saga, anyone know why they call it differently ?

>

> Probably because a saga will have less content than a season.

>

> The recent seasons were made of episodes in which every release had:

>

> * A new map, with at least one new meta event

> * A new legendary weapon

> * Assorted other features

>

> Looks like a saga will not have a new map for every release (they may add half of a map on a release and add more to the same map on the next, for example), and nothing has been said of new legendary weapons or a new meta event per release.

>

> So looks like a saga will be less than a season.

They said that indeed we'll have fewer maps. That allows them more time to generate content and animations for that map.

And i rather have one map full of content and events, than 3 maps where you wait around for something to happen