GW2 Steam?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I'm not sure what Gems have to do with upgrading their accounts to Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire. You can't buy expansions with Gems. The upgrades mentioned above are only for upgrading an account from Standard to Deluxe. You _must_ have purchased the expansion first with cash.

>

> If they have access to a Game Stop, and would have been able to purchase Gem Cards there if the Game Stop carried them, why can't they purchase Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire through Game Stop?

>

> Perhaps, your friends could ask their money-handlers to procure a (pre-paid) credit card for them with a fixed amount. /shrug

>

> Good luck.

Ah. Well, that sucks for them. I use a card, but no they are not allowed to use one, and would rather not have to B2P. Any other way is preferable. Steam, free login gems, gem upgrades, free expac. Yes, 5 players are not enough to change NCsoft's or Anets minds.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly though, you are targeting a very very small market of players.

One who have internet access and the ability to use steam, but at the same time are incapable to do any type of online transactions what so ever (gem codes are available in online shops too). I can't believe there will be a lot of people with exactly those limitations.

That paired with the limitations and downsides of steam (don't get me wrong, personally I love steam and use it a lot. I understand when people dislike it though) makes it highly unlikely that GW2 will get released any time soon on steam.

Well then they can either continue to play within their own constraints, somehow convince whoever handles their money to buy the content they want or if they can't play like this anymore, well, too bad, but Anet is not giving away free gems or expansions, and GW2 is not coming to Steam anytime soon (or rather probably never). Unfortunately for them they're a vast minority and as you said, not enough to warrant a huge business decision on Anet's part.

> I'm confused. What is it your friends want? They already have the expansions, you say? How did they acquire them? They just want Gems to spend? I'm afraid they will have to play for them, like many of us do, if they aren't allowed to spend any money online. Of course, Steam is online, isn't it?

>

> Confusing information here.

Wait what? I missed the part where they already have the expansions.

Cause, i mean, if they have expansions, they had to have acquired them online somehow, and then prepaid cards and gold to gems is totally an option.

OP should clarify the situation lol.

> @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> >

> > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

>

> They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

So these are customers that

* Aren't allowed to manage their own money

* Do, however, get Steam money

* Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

* Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> >

> > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

>

> They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

@"Veprovina.4876" According to this^, they have the expansions. /shrug

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I'm confused. What is it your friends want? They already have the expansions, you say? How did they acquire them? They just want Gems to spend? I'm afraid they will have to play for them, like many of us do, if they aren't allowed to spend any money online. Of course, Steam is online, isn't it?

> >

> > Confusing information here.

>

> Wait what? I missed the part where they already have the expansions.

> Cause, i mean, if they have expansions, they had to have acquired them online somehow, and then prepaid cards and gold to gems is totally an option.

>

> OP should clarify the situation lol.

I said I bought them.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > >

> > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> >

> > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

>

> So these are customers that

> * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> * Do, however, get Steam money

> * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

>

> Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our asses and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

Well, your friends can either keep relying on your Good Samaritan offerings, or acquire Gold to exchange for Gems, I guess. Those seem to be the only options. One can, with little effort, make around 75-100 Gold per month just from Dailies and Daily Log-in Rewards. (I'm not sure what mats are going for currently, but surely some amount of Gold for mats from Laurels.)

Good luck to them.

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> I don't understand. If they already have the expansions why do they need Steam? Even if GW2 was ever put on Steam it would use the same gem delivery service and won't allow you to buy gems from Steam.

So i do not have to buy the expacs for them. They want to go with steam only to remain independent. That is the only way they can buy games and or future expacs. I offered to keep doing it, but they don't want to.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > >

> > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > >

> > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> >

> > So these are customers that

> > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> >

> > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

>

> it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir.

All I did was list the facts that you provided; I'm sorry you find that "smart alecy." You specifically wrote that "they have their expacs, they just don't to put in the work to farm" — don't you think that's relevant to whether ANet should make the business decision to put in work to change the status quo?

And before making assumptions, you should gather some facts. I am in essentially the same shoes: I, too, need permission from someone to afford luxuries such as US$30 for the expac; it just happens that I'm also the person who gives that permission.

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > > >

> > > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > > >

> > > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> > >

> > > So these are customers that

> > > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> > >

> > > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> >

> > it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir.

>

> All I did was list the facts that you provided; I'm sorry you find that "smart alecy." You specifically wrote that "they have their expacs, they just don't to put in the work to farm" — don't you think that's relevant to whether ANet should make the business decision to put in work to change the status quo?

>

> And before making assumptions, you should gather some facts. I am in essentially the same shoes: I, too, need permission from someone to afford luxuries such as US$30 for the expac; it just happens that I'm also the person who gives that permission.

Well glad to hear it. I am sorry I misjudged you. I also handle my own money now.

I understand how business works, I won't deny that these 5 should not change the model works.

I am just upset that they have chosen to go. I am also accepting of the fact that GW2 is not coming to steam. I will still welcome them back if it does, and they return.

Thank you for your help everyone.

> > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > >

> > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > >

> > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> >

> > So these are customers that

> > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> >

> > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

>

> it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our kitten and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

Insulting and rude? he stated facts, there was no insult or rudeness in it atall, Maybe you friends should just accept their situation and work through it, instead of sending you to these forums with bad suggestions?

> I am just upset that they have chosen to go.

Yes, that is sad, even if it's for good reasons and good intentions on everyone's part. (I admit I failed to mention that I am sympathetic with your situation... and with theirs. I just listed the facts.) I'm sorry they won't be able to play with you in the near future.

> I am also accepting of the fact that GW2 is not coming to steam.

Again, even if we understand the reasons, it's still annoying to those who love Steam or otherwise make full use of its benefits.

> I will still welcome them back if it does, and they return.

Or, with some luck, they find resources that allow them to return otherwise.

> @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > > >

> > > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > > >

> > > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> > >

> > > So these are customers that

> > > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> > >

> > > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> >

> > it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our kitten and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

>

> Insulting and rude? he stated facts, there was no insult or rudeness in it atall, Maybe you friends should just accept their situation and work through it, instead of sending you to these forums with bad suggestions?

I came here of my own accord miss. I am trying to get them to not give up. Bash my questions all you want, but I now have an Idea of what to do. I am better off then just begging them to stay.

> * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

They're not really losing 20% since they'd be tapping into a market they might not have had otherwise. They'd certainly see a boost by using it.

If GW2 did actually go to Steam, they'd probably treat Steam accounts differently and you'd be forever locked in. It'd essentially be sold as if it were a different game, like a console version but played on the same servers. The gem exchange probably wouldn't be available, since Steam would likely have gem sales, and all real money purchases would have to be done through Steam. You wouldn't be allowed to upgrade to PoF with a normal key for example and gem cards probably wouldn't be accepted either.

> @Healix.5819 said:

>

> They're not really losing 20% since they'd be tapping into a market they might not have had otherwise. They'd certainly see a boost by using it.

>

> If GW2 did actually go to Steam, they'd probably treat Steam accounts differently and you'd be forever locked in. It'd essentially be sold as if it were a different game, like a console version but played on the same servers. The gem exchange probably wouldn't be available, since Steam would likely have gem sales, and all real money purchases would have to be done through Steam. You wouldn't be allowed to upgrade to PoF with a normal key for example and gem cards probably wouldn't be accepted either.

I was hoping for what they did with Wildstar. It would be Balck Desert all over again.

> > @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > > > >

> > > > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> > > >

> > > > So these are customers that

> > > > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > > > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > > > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > > > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> > > >

> > > > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> > >

> > > it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our kitten and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

> >

> > Insulting and rude? he stated facts, there was no insult or rudeness in it atall, Maybe you friends should just accept their situation and work through it, instead of sending you to these forums with bad suggestions?

>

> I came here of my own accord miss. I am trying to get them to not give up. Bash my questions all you want, but I now have an Idea of what to do. I am better off then just begging them to stay.

did you assume my gender?

> @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> > > > >

> > > > > So these are customers that

> > > > > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > > > > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > > > > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > > > > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> > > > >

> > > > > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> > > >

> > > > it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our kitten and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

> > >

> > > Insulting and rude? he stated facts, there was no insult or rudeness in it atall, Maybe you friends should just accept their situation and work through it, instead of sending you to these forums with bad suggestions?

> >

> > I came here of my own accord miss. I am trying to get them to not give up. Bash my questions all you want, but I now have an Idea of what to do. I am better off then just begging them to stay.

>

> did you assume my gender?

Lol...did you?

> > @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > > @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> > > > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @pandorasbox.6340 said:

> > > > > > > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > > > > > > It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So these are customers that

> > > > > > * Aren't allowed to manage their own money

> > > > > > * Do, however, get Steam money

> > > > > > * Aren't able/willing to save gold in-game to convert to gems

> > > > > > * Want ANet to lose 20% or more to Steam, when ANet's margins are already low

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Seems like a great deal for this limited group of people, but a poor business decision for ANet

> > > > >

> > > > > it was a question to see if any plans were in place, gather ideas, and such. Not an open forum for smart alec comments. I've been in their shoes. You walk a mile in our shoes before making such statements to the disabled sir. Some of us cannot get off our kitten and do what you do. Some of us live in the parts of the world that do not give us the options you do. We are hated for being different. Comments like that sir are insulting and rude.

> > > >

> > > > Insulting and rude? he stated facts, there was no insult or rudeness in it atall, Maybe you friends should just accept their situation and work through it, instead of sending you to these forums with bad suggestions?

> > >

> > > I came here of my own accord miss. I am trying to get them to not give up. Bash my questions all you want, but I now have an Idea of what to do. I am better off then just begging them to stay.

> >

> > did you assume my gender?

>

> Lol...did you?

Yep. assumed it wrong too, so triggered.