When even grinding is worthless now.........what do you do?

> @"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Grinding is worthless? Sounds good ... because no one wants to grind in an MMO anyways. Just play the game. You will get what you want eventually.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > No you wont.. 7 years and still not a single legendary drop in open world PvE.. Not even a precursor..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Legendaries don't drop period. Just saying. Doesn't matter if they drop or not anyway, because they're cheap enough to buy. I haven't had a ton of legendary drops but I have 23 legendary weapons. But yeah, legendaries don't drop...period.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > At about $300 AU no they are not cheap enough to buy.. Whay a waste of real life money anyway..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > When I said they were cheap enough to buy. I meant precursors, not legendaries. To be clear.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I have NEVER bought a legendary weapon. Every one of my 23 legendary weapons I crafted. I did buy precursors however.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Edit: To be absolutely clear, I never used real money to purchase a precursor, only in game gold. I don't buy gems and sell them for gold.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > In the 7 years i've played on and off in GW2 i've never had a precursor drop..

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But you could buy a precursor pretty cheap regardless. I kept the first legendary I made, but I sold the second and that funded my third. I don't have an issue with buying precursors from the TP.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is 400gold pretty cheap... I think a lot of GW2 forum customers are these whales we hear about.

> > > > >

> > > > > No its not cheap. And i do have issue with it.

> > > >

> > > > So you want to buy a Legendary precursor for what 1g, 5g,10g,50g,100g or...? 400 for a LEGENDARY is dirt cheap, you can get 5-20 in an hour by simply playing any content and 20-40 an hour by farming. 400 is trivial for the premuin long term goal in a game.

> > > >

> > > > Personally I think precursors should not be sellable at all, but I get its also the premium item for people who enjoy flipping gear.

> > >

> > > Assuming 20 an hour, that's 20 hours out of my life for 400g. That's not "trivial".

> >

> > Sure it is ... you play an MMO for hundreds of those hours already ... and you don't have a problem with that. Yet somehow, 400G is out of your reach from simply playing the game? It's not ... and don't make it sound like it is because it's 'not trivial' for you, because it is trivial to you, or you wouldn't be playing in the first place.

> >

> > Besides, you are just one step away from understanding why people by gold with gems ... because their time is worth more than their money. If your time to make gold in the game isn't 'trivial', you have the option to spend your money instead.

> >

>

> Did I ever say it was out of my reach? And what do MMO hours have to do with this all I'm saying is 400g is not trivial and so are legendary weapons--I know they are huge time sinks and therefore I respect players that have them.

>

> Trivial would be completing a map for map completion, or if we're talking gold, earning 50 gold.

Um, no ... MMO hours have EVERYTHING to do with this because you earn the gold you need by playing the game. The fact is that no, you are right it's not trivial ... but then again, no one except YOU brought the idea into this dicussion that related legendary gear to 'triviality' in the first place.

The poster's point was simple and so is mine ... you ALREADY play an appropriate amount to earn the gold for a legendary precursor. If you don't, you don't really deserve one anyways.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> > > Lord help us all if we get what we deserve.

> >

> > That is a really strange way to think... Everyone deserve what they want.

>

> That's an even weirder way to think. So if someone want something that is yours, they deserve it ?

If it was life threatening for them, sure.. In a mmorpg why would they need my stuff?

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > > > @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> > > > Lord help us all if we get what we deserve.

> > >

> > > That is a really strange way to think... Everyone deserve what they want.

> >

> > That's an even weirder way to think. So if someone want something that is yours, they deserve it ?

> If it was life threatening for them, sure.. In a mmorpg why would they need my stuff?

>

Becouse they belive they deserve it.

I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

>

> So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

>

> And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

>

> I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> >

> > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> >

> > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> >

> > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

>

>

> Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Grinding is worthless? Sounds good ... because no one wants to grind in an MMO anyways. Just play the game. You will get what you want eventually.

>

> No you wont.. 7 years and still not a single legendary drop in open world PvE.. Not even a precursor..

I was about to say ditto, but I got one pre drop. So since beta I've seen one.

> @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> I deserve Dante's stuff! We wants it!!

I think you'd be surprised on how much you don't want my stuff.. Exotics and 1gold weapons.. go to town..

> @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> >

> > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> >

> > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> >

> > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

>

>

> Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

No they are time, currency and materials sinks.. designed to wipe you out.

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> > @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> > I deserve Dante's stuff! We wants it!!

>

> I think you'd be surprised on how much you don't want my stuff.. Exotics and 1gold weapons.. go to town..

> > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > >

> > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > >

> > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > >

> > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> >

> >

> > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

>

> No they are time, currency and materials sinks.. designed to wipe you out.

It only wipes out the fools that play games and yet do content they don't enjoy.

> > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > >

> > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > >

> > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > >

> > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> >

> >

> > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

>

> Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

>

> But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

Its not insulting, its core to the genre, the only issue is people who think the genre should change to be something else.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

>

> But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > >

> > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > >

> > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > >

> > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > >

> > >

> > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> >

> > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> >

> > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

>

> If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > > >

> > > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > > >

> > > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> > >

> > > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> > >

> > > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> >

> > If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

>

> But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

No one has to say it ... anyone that plays enough MMO's recognizes it as a theme they have. MMO's are designed this way because developers know they can't turn out new content faster than MMO players can complete it. If MMO's didn't have this theme and devs didn't put long term goals in, people would just stop playing every time they finished the latest story/episode/expansion/etc....

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> > > >

> > > > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> > > >

> > > > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> > >

> > > If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

> >

> > But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

>

> No one has to say it ... anyone that plays enough MMO's recognizes it as a theme they have. MMO's are defined by these long term goals. It's designed that way because developers know they can't turn out new content faster than MMO players can complete it.

And, in my opinion, that's where MMOs fail. And why people get frustrated with them. Well, one of the reasons.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> > > > >

> > > > > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> > > >

> > > > If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

> > >

> > > But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

> >

> > No one has to say it ... anyone that plays enough MMO's recognizes it as a theme they have. MMO's are defined by these long term goals. It's designed that way because developers know they can't turn out new content faster than MMO players can complete it.

>

> And, in my opinion, that's where MMOs fail. And why people get frustrated with them. Well, one of the reasons.

That's a rather uninformed opinion ... it simply demonstrates you don't understand why MMO's work in the first place. If there isn't a reason to repeat content, why would any player do it beyond satisfying their own curiousity? The answer is ... for a long term goal.

If you think that's a 'failure' ... you must have some pretty massive standards because MMO's have been making 'failures' of this concept since they have been a thing ... and still do ... successfully to.

Now, what is more likely ... you dislike long term goals and how they affect MMO content/development ... but they certainly aren't the reasons MMO's 'fail' ...

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

> > > >

> > > > But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

> > >

> > > No one has to say it ... anyone that plays enough MMO's recognizes it as a theme they have. MMO's are defined by these long term goals. It's designed that way because developers know they can't turn out new content faster than MMO players can complete it.

> >

> > And, in my opinion, that's where MMOs fail. And why people get frustrated with them. Well, one of the reasons.

>

> That's a rather uninformed opinion ... it simply demonstrates you don't understand why MMO's work in the first place. If there isn't a reason to repeat content, why would any player do it beyond satisfying their own curiousity? The answer is ... for a long term goal.

>

> If you think that's a 'failure' ... you must have some pretty massive standards because MMO's have been making 'failures' of this concept since they have been a thing ... and still do ... successfully to.

>

> Now, what is more likely ... you dislike long term goals and how they affect MMO content/development ... but they certainly aren't the reasons MMO's 'fail' ...

Well, they are to me. And many others who are tired of the incessant grind. End game should never be solely about skins to look pretty. It should never be things needed to grind more (recipes). End game should be rewarding in and of itself. Whether you define that end game as defeating a dragon or not, is up to you. But, again, in my opinion, this is where MMOs fail, and particularly, GW2 fails.

The ONLY reason I've stuck with GW2 is because of WvW, a format that doesn't appear to exist in any other MMO. Not to grind.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > > > > I don't have a problem with slight grind when there's an expectation of some sort of reward - but we all know there are mats that drop based on RNG (Maguuma Lilies, for one). I've been playing for 6 years, pretty steadily, and have never had a precursor drop. I've rarely gathered lilies. Freshwater Pearls - too funny.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > So, yeah. The grind is typical of MMOs. The grind plus a terrible rng is another thing altogether.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > And don't get me started about the "rewards" you get for completing your Personal Story - I killed Zhaitan and got a yellow, some junk, and a recipe. Gee. Thanks.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I think the first time you complete something that "epic" (per account) you should, at the very least, get a chest with your choice of precursor. At the best, a chest with your choice of Legendary. But then again, I believe in rewarding a player of a game for doing something. That's just me, however.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Legendaries are long term goals, you either do it or you don't. You don't grind for ultra rare precrurser drops, you grind either gold or materials or collections. That's it, it's that simple. The problem is people making up all sorts of special reasons and excuses for why this should be shortcutted. However it is a LONG TERM Goal.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes. It is a long term goal by design. That's the way this game, and many others, were designed. I think that's wrong and insulting to the player base. Even lore-wise, it makes more sense to be rewarded something special than a pile of goop, and, perhaps, a yellow item - if you're lucky.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But again, that's my opinion on the loot in this game, and many other MMOs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If you are insulted by the long term goals that DEFINE MMOs ... you should probably not play them.

> > > > >

> > > > > But why does it "DEFINE MMOs"? Who said this had to define MMOs? You?

> > > >

> > > > No one has to say it ... anyone that plays enough MMO's recognizes it as a theme they have. MMO's are defined by these long term goals. It's designed that way because developers know they can't turn out new content faster than MMO players can complete it.

> > >

> > > And, in my opinion, that's where MMOs fail. And why people get frustrated with them. Well, one of the reasons.

> >

> > That's a rather uninformed opinion ... it simply demonstrates you don't understand why MMO's work in the first place. If there isn't a reason to repeat content, why would any player do it beyond satisfying their own curiousity? The answer is ... for a long term goal.

> >

> > If you think that's a 'failure' ... you must have some pretty massive standards because MMO's have been making 'failures' of this concept since they have been a thing ... and still do ... successfully to.

> >

> > Now, what is more likely ... you dislike long term goals and how they affect MMO content/development ... but they certainly aren't the reasons MMO's 'fail' ...

>

> Well, they are to me. And many others who are tired of the incessant grind. End game should never be solely about skins to look pretty. It should never be things needed to grind more (recipes). End game should be rewarding in and of itself. Whether you define that end game as defeating a dragon or not, is up to you. But, again, in my opinion, this is where MMOs fail, and particularly, GW2 fails.

>

> The ONLY reason I've stuck with GW2 is because of WvW, a format that doesn't appear to exist in any other MMO. Not to grind.

I won't argue what is your opinion, but that doesn't make long term goals a failure of MMO's. It's literally the reason most people play MMOs and subject themselves to grinding. That CAN'T be an indication of failure of an MMO because that just doesn't make sense. MMO's are only successful because they DO get people to submit themselves to the long term goals. If they don't, there isn't a reason for most people to play outside of the short results of completing new content.

I mean, take a good honest look at what you do in WvW and explain why you aren't 'grinding' there. You are literally playing to win ... an unwinnable WvW scenario, resulting in an infinite amount of doing the same thing over and over ... for an elusive goal. You can't get more 'grindy' than that.

You're grinding ... you don't even realize it. Anet has done a good job on you. You're the ultimate MMO customer.

In some ways, GW2 is the perfect example that MMO's function around grinding. Because you're not forced to grind anything in GW2, once you get your basic exo80 gear-set with a couple of decent runes/sigils, you're basically set. You can complete the whole game with that, you don't need to grind for anything else. Everything else is Optional.

And yet people sit grinding in GW2, instead of taking break and doing something else or play other games. When they developed GW2 ANet said they wanted gw2 to be a game that people came and went to, instead of burning out forcing themselves to play it constantly, they should come back to gw2 when they where bored of their main MMO and take a break with gw2, and then go back to their main MMO when something new happened there. A cycle of going back and forth between games.

So yeah, I'd say this is a people problem.