Need help with keybindings

Max.5280

Hi all,

I'm used to have my somewhat untrustworthy razer naga to play this game, but as the so many'eth broke down I decided I am done padding Razer's bottom line, so I was hoping you folks can give me some tips on how to create a layout that works for me :) Personal experiences are apreciated too.

Oh, I do both pve and pvp, if that matters

I don't have any specific advice but I wanted to let you know that I just got a new mouse, had considered the naga and now you make me feel good about not selecting it. So thx :)

You'll probably get much better advice from others, and you may get more tailored advice if you can give more specificity about what you're looking for, but for me I move my movement keys to ESDF so I can keep my hand on the home keys, which creates more keys to the left of my hand. I keep all my skills on the keyboard and use the mouse for the most common presses -- dodge, weapon swap, autorun -- with the special action button on the wheel. Shift+movement keys for mounts. That's about it . . .

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> I don't have any specific advice but I wanted to let you know that I just got a new mouse, had considered the naga and now you make me feel good about not selecting it. So thx :)

>

> You'll probably get much better advice from others, and you may get more tailored advice if you can give more specificity about what you're looking for, but for me I move my movement keys to ESDF so I can keep my hand on the home keys, which creates more keys to the left of my hand. I keep all my skills on the keyboard and use the mouse for the most common presses -- dodge, weapon swap, autorun -- with the special action button on the wheel. Shift+movement keys for mounts. That's about it . . .

What mouse did you get? I already tried the one from Corsair, but the grid was a little too small for my liking

Hmm. I'll go *part* way to what you want. I'm on my second Naga HEX since 2012. Maybe third? First one or two were the original with six side buttons, now I have the updated version with seven side buttons. I had a side button jam on the old version. New one's been just fine for at least a year or two now. (Sorry, I'm older and the years blur together for me). I only use three of the side buttons though, mapped to arrow keys for left/right strafe and backpedal, and the button near the scroll wheel for double click. I move forward by pressing LMB/RMB. That puts all my movement on the mouse, which means the keyboard is all for hotkeys.

Standard 1-0 for skills, - for autorun, = for walk/run toggle, Q for special action to keep it near the weapon skills, Shift+ ASDZXC for various mounts, B for dodge and mount special 1, V for mount special 2, F8 for select next ally (helps with clumped up boost banners). U for weapon equip toggle. Shift+ RTH(and one other) for novelties. Num pad keys for squad markers, not that I use those enough to have memorized my settings, heh. Basically no combo keys in combat except the default ctrl-T for setting target and ctrl-S for switching Snap to Target on and off. I use mnemonics to remember what they are. Mounts are default X raptor, Shift - Springer, Zkimmer, Dog (Jackal), All mount (Griffin), then X Beetle and skysCale to keep them near the Shift key. Novelties are Rest (chair), Toy, Held, and ... I forget, lol. Oh! Shift-E for tonic making me shifty shaped.

It doesn't have to be a Razer to do that limited mapping, as long as you have reachable thumb buttons to control movement. Anything with three side buttons will do it. Downside of the setup: If you can't manage WASD on occasion (I can't), you will have serious issues with timed jp's with a lot of turns in one direction since your mouse will drift off the mouse pad even on a very sensitive dpi setting.

As someone who uses almost all default keybindings (I know, I'm a monster), I hereby testify that one can play efficiently doing pretty much anything. It's all down to personal preference; how it feels to you, what you believe you need quicker access to, and which functions might have lower priorities.

That being said, I strongly suggest binding the Mount keys. One standard trick I use is binding them all to a single key + modifiers (non, alt, shift, ctrl, alt-shift, etc.) It's not explicitly necessary, but can save a LOT of headache quickly adapting your movement options. (Remember: any mount key while mounted automatically dismounts you instead, so binding Dismount is not necessary.)

> @"Max.5280" said:

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > I don't have any specific advice but I wanted to let you know that I just got a new mouse, had considered the naga and now you make me feel good about not selecting it. So thx :)

> >

> > You'll probably get much better advice from others, and you may get more tailored advice if you can give more specificity about what you're looking for, but for me I move my movement keys to ESDF so I can keep my hand on the home keys, which creates more keys to the left of my hand. I keep all my skills on the keyboard and use the mouse for the most common presses -- dodge, weapon swap, autorun -- with the special action button on the wheel. Shift+movement keys for mounts. That's about it . . .

>

> What mouse did you get? I already tried the one from Corsair, but the grid was a little too small for my liking

It's one of the logitech eleven button ones, idr which. Maybe 903? It's still in the mail, arrives tomorrow or Thursday I think . . .

I only use a few custom keybinds.

A and D = strafe

Q = special action

X = mount

Mouse4 (thumb button) = Utility 1

Mouse3 (middle button)= Utility 2

E = Utility 3

Z = Elite

Everything else is pretty much standard. I don't have any keys bound for character rotation as I almost exclusively hold RMB for more precise character control.

Oh, and double-tab to dodge is disabled, as it should always be! SAB taught my the fine art of V+Space to dodge-jump everywhere. My characters usually look like acrobatic ninjas, backflipping around the battlefield.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> As someone who uses almost all default keybindings (I know, I'm a monster), I hereby testify that one can play efficiently doing pretty much anything. It's all down to personal preference; how it feels to you, what you believe you need quicker access to, and which functions might have lower priorities.

>

> That being said, I strongly suggest binding the Mount keys. One standard trick I use is binding them all to a single key + modifiers (non, alt, shift, ctrl, alt-shift, etc.) It's not explicitly necessary, but can save a LOT of headache quickly adapting your movement options. (Remember: any mount key while mounted automatically dismounts you instead, so binding Dismount is not necessary.)

There are so many mounts indeed. But I heard there's a addon to deal with that?

I moved strafe right and left to A & D, respectively. Weapons skills 1-5 stayed the same. Heal skill to left shift, utility skills to Q, E, & C, elite skill to an extra thumb button on the mouse. Default mount button is still X, and Z is bound for the Jackal - other mounts are bound to unused keys on the right side of the keyboard...I may be altering them or adding them to the mouse in the near future.

As for the mouse...I really wasn't sure that I wanted an 18 button MMO mouse, but I knew I needed something with some extra buttons when my old one died. So I went cheap. I bought the UtechSmart Venus gaming mouse on Amazon for $35. You have to download the drivers from the manufacturer, but it has more buttons than I need and is rather comfortable, plus you can adjust the DPI settings on the fly up to over 16k DPI - I normally run my around 1k-2k. And the default double-click button just to the left of the left mouse button is worth the price of the mouse alone. Actually using all of the 12 thumb buttons for fast-paced action does not work for me - I have big hands - but assigning a few frequent functions to them works great - special action key and the elite skill keys are obvious wins. I liked the mouse enough that I went back a couple of months later and bought a second one that stays in the laptop bag for when I'm on the road. Still happy with it, and I've been using it for over 20 months.