Music from Whisper in the Dark

Arden.7480

It was OK. There was nothing wrong with it, but this is the one time I miss Jeremy Soule. He nailed atmospheric, isolated snowy areas better than anyone else. I even use some of his stuff as background music for this game or horror readings.

So yeah solid enough but also unremarkable given the potential

Well, I can't say I agree totally, because I felt like he didn't do GW2 justice musically, and the experience wasn't as unique to me, like when Maclaine took the charge. My interest in GW2 lore and music didn't begin in Personal Story, I enjoyed traveling on the maps, but core music never clicked for me.

Season 2 was where my true GW2 journey began, and everything about the music made me love GW2, music like The Shadow of the Dragon or the Nightmare court were just so deep and emotional to me.

I feel like it's because I didn't start with GW1 and I feel like Jeremy's music is outdated. It's just... It's just my personal experience and I can see why you like Jeremy's music more. I came to GW2 later, so that's why I appreciate post Jeremy music much more.

And personally I think they nailed it this episode, the sound team I mean. I absolutely love the music from the final cinematic. It's just so scary and pretty.

I appreciate your comment, though. It brings a new light and opened possibly a good discussion.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> Well, I can't say I agree totally, because I felt like he didn't do GW2 justice musically, and the experience wasn't as unique to me, like when Maclaine took the charge. My interest in GW2 lore and music didn't begin in Personal Story, I enjoyed traveling on the maps, but core music never clicked for me.

I agree fully. Soule did a great job on GW1 but his doesn't didn't always fit with GW2. Maclaine and team have done a vastly superior job since taking over Soule and have created for the most part, a much superior score. I will sing the praises of the music and audio team always for the past work they have done in creating some iconic music for this game and some suitably effective ambience with their more subtle work

Having said that, the problem I have sometimes is that they then rely too much on older stuff to cycle in which doesn't always fit (using crystal desert music in an inquest base in LS4Ep2 for eg) and the music sometimes sits too far in the background and doesn't enhance the way it should do. The music shouldn't intrude, but it should compliment and build the atmosphere. This didn't really do that as much as it could have, although in places the sound did work well (Ravens Trial and the instances in general - it was open world it didn't quite get right).

Soule could capture the mood and setting of an environment better than most and that is why Skyrim's score was so heralded.

Without putting a singular brush stroke on the genre, horror is **very much** about the atmosphere. Would Halloween (the original) be as effective without that constant running music running throughout? It wouldn't be as complete for sure. Would Shadow Man have set the same brilliant tone without Jack the Ripper playing Moonlight Sonata at the beginning? Probably not (I mean using Beethoven to kickstart a horror game was genius in itself)

Music is incredibly important to enhancing the ambience and mood of such a setting even when you don't realise it is doing it. It certainly wasn't bad or anything like that and did the job, it was just an opportunity that didn't quite go far enough at least in the open world.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> Huge fan of this episode's musical score. Absolutely fabulous! It fits the eerie atmosphere perfectly and really gets under my skin. <3 @ strings arrangement

Sounds so like Mordremoth too. If Lena worked for Anet still, I'd be pretty sure she composed it, but I have no idea who is composing the music now, aside from Maclaine that isn't the main composer anymore.

Stan LePard was a producer of Metal Legion songs, maybe he took the charge?

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > Huge fan of this episode's musical score. Absolutely fabulous! It fits the eerie atmosphere perfectly and really gets under my skin. <3 @ strings arrangement

>

> Sounds so like Mordremoth too.

Nah, I'm not a fan of the HoT score at all. Doesn't capture the essence of a jungle and supposedly scary undead forest dragon minions for me. Most of it sounded too "military" (_except for Tarir, which sounded okay for a peaceful theme_) rather than eerie or anything remorely scary. Added to my not being impressed but rather bored by Mordremoth and its creations.

Arden: Where do u hear that music, cos i don't seem to remember it- is it during the meta? Also, there's like zero melody, just percussion, bass and some ooohs, ahhhs and background sounds. It's okay if you're going for a shamanistic feel i suppose, but doesn't have a patch on 'fear not this night'.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > Huge fan of this episode's musical score. Absolutely fabulous! It fits the eerie atmosphere perfectly and really gets under my skin. <3 @ strings arrangement

> >

> > Sounds so like Mordremoth too.

>

> Nah, I'm not a fan of the HoT score at all. Doesn't capture the essence of a jungle and supposedly scary undead forest dragon minions for me. Most of it sounded too "military" (_except for Tarir, which sounded okay for a peaceful theme_) rather than eerie or anything remorely scary. Added to my not being impressed but rather bored by Mordremoth and its creations.

I can't argue with your personal experiences. And I'm not saying Boneskinner's theme is the same as Mordremoth, just I felt a similar vibe.

I just have been listening to Lena a lot tecently, and it's just I have Mordremoth's theme in my ears when I hear this woman vocalization. That also appeared in other of her works like "Confronting Myself" from Celeste.

So it's just Lena Raine thing :D

And I consider Season2/HoT the best music GW2 ever had with "Leaving Tarir", Mordremoth's theme or HoT's theme or Attack on Tarir.

edits: clarifying

> @"Funky.4861" said:

> Arden: Where do u hear that music, cos i don't seem to remember it- is it during the meta? Also, there's like zero melody, just percussion, bass and some ooohs, ahhhs and background sounds. It's okay if you're going for a shamanistic feel i suppose, but doesn't have a patch on 'fear not this night'.

It is during the boneskinner fight itself, but can be easily obscured if effects volume is set high