Suggestion: Reduce dismounting

Gele.2048

While it can be annoying, the alternative would be everybody stacked on mounts, totally blocking NPC's or whatever in more crowded places.

If there was a way to not get dismounted if nobody else is around that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath :p

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8884/pof-developer-ama-summary-for-all-that-dont-read-reddit#latest

> @bOTEB.1573 said:

> Collected by dulfy:

>

> **Mounts**

> Originally, you could interact with many things while mounted. However, there were a lot of cases where things would completely break if you interacted while mounted, especially in core Tyria. With the number of different kinds of things that can happen on interact, with some of them being quite complicated, it’s a lot safer to dismount the player before taking those actions. We removed this to prevent those things from breaking while still maintaining consistency with behavior for the mount interactions in general.

While this may not change your anger about the interaction dismounts, it does explain why it was done that way, and hints that the amount of effort needed to change it could be prohibitive.

the real issue was that mounted interaction caused severe crashes in pre-PoF content.

Now, the devs had 2 options

1. Limit mounts to Path of Fire

2. Be consistent and dismount everywhere.

The crashes were random, meaning they were almost impossible to fix. so they went with the second option. I mean, I get it's annoying, but hey, it's better than crashing everytime you talk to an npc in HoT

> @Gele.2048 said:

> Is there some way to change this ? so i can talk and interact whit things whit out dismounting plz devs anything ?

How do you function in real life? If you're on a horse, do you just stay on the horse for everything you do? Would you really treat the horse that badly and attempt to walk upstairs in a cramped stairway? Or go to a forge and make the horse stand in that intense heat while you tinker with stuff on its back? I feel bad for you. What game spoiled you so badly that you needed to come to the forums to whine about 2 seconds extra in dismounting and re-mounting again? Kids these days... They have no patience whatsoever.

This isn't the real world, though. It's a game. The constant dismounting is annoying. Annoying mechanics in games make people avoid the annoying mechanic. If it affects the way people play, then it's worth considering. It's not about patience.

Crashes are also annoying. So I can accept that as a valid reason to dismount people. If there are ways to prevent the crashes and the constant dismounting, I would be happy.

> @Gele.2048 said:

> Is there some way to change this ? so i can talk and interact whit things whit out dismounting plz devs anything ?

Easy solution......don't use mounts. That way you'll never have the burdensome irritation of being dismounted and the time/energy expended having to press a mesmerising combination of 1 key to remount.

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> the real issue was that mounted interaction caused severe crashes in pre-PoF content.

> Now, the devs had 2 options

> 1. Limit mounts to Path of Fire

> 2. Be consistent and dismount everywhere.

>

> The crashes were random, meaning they were almost impossible to fix. so they went with the second option. I mean, I get it's annoying, but hey, it's better than crashing everytime you talk to an npc in HoT

And better than limiting such a fun aspect of the game to strictly that expansion's maps. I agree.

It's honestly not even that annoying for me... I have the mount bound to the "-" key, and the different mounts bound to the numpad keys from 1-5, in the order you receive the mounts, and it's pretty damn convenient, and removes the need to click on the icon and select a different mount every time you want to change mount. Unless you're mounting up to go to someone literally right next to where you are, then I don't see much of an issue, myself.

> @KTap.4381 said:

> While it can be annoying, the alternative would be everybody stacked on mounts, totally blocking NPC's or whatever in more crowded places.

>

> If there was a way to not get dismounted if nobody else is around that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath :p

Ye lets be real u dont need to talk to npc that much in this game this is not wow u just talk for sec and move on if i need it to talk for minutes or hours i wouldn't care if im not dismounted or not

> @Gele.2048 said:

> > @KTap.4381 said:

> > While it can be annoying, the alternative would be everybody stacked on mounts, totally blocking NPC's or whatever in more crowded places.

> >

> > If there was a way to not get dismounted if nobody else is around that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath :p

>

> Ye lets be real u dont need to talk to npc that much in this game this is not wow u just talk for sec and move on if i need it to talk for minutes or hours i wouldn't care if im not dismounted or not

I more meant vendors, trading post NPC's, crafting stations, etc, but I see your point for most scenarios.

> @"Lustre Of Havoc.9173" said:

> > @Gele.2048 said:

> > Is there some way to change this ? so i can talk and interact whit things whit out dismounting plz devs anything ?

>

> How do you function in real life? If you're on a horse, do you just stay on the horse for everything you do? Would you really treat the horse that badly and attempt to walk upstairs in a cramped stairway? Or go to a forge and make the horse stand in that intense heat while you tinker with stuff on its back? I feel bad for you. What game spoiled you so badly that you needed to come to the forums to whine about 2 seconds extra in dismounting and re-mounting again? Kids these days... They have no patience whatsoever.

OMG dude u gonna go there now ? for real ....... yes and im gonna summon horse from my ass as well pressing one button in real life jesus .....

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> Dismounting for everything doesn't bother me in the slightest. _~shrugs~_

Yup. I'm really not sure where this complaint of a .5 second cooldown and otherwise-instant mount speed is coming from.

>! Except maybe when those stupid plant things are involved and (literally) 8 of them aggro and you don't want to get off your bunny to swap to jackal even though there's a sand portal and . . . Yeah, I spent a good 5+ minutes hacking at those SOBs...

Technical issues aside (quotes from AMA), if you're in town, you don't -really- need to be on a mount that much. And if you're out in the field, stopping for loot -should- expose you to some risk.