Gathering change

Neural.1824

Gathering, whether it be ore, wood, or plant, has always had an issue that I think is time to bring up. it doesn't make sense that you can gather a node while you have something attacking you.

My request of Anet (because I know probably 99% of the player base will be against this), is to change gathering so that if you are in combat, you cannot activate a gathering tool.

The mechanics for this already exist in game (example: unable to interact with certain chests/items when in combat).

Despite what people will say, there are several benefits to changing this:

1. People will need to do events in order to clear idols in Orr before harvesting at the elder wood farm. It adds some need to do the temple events, and breaks some of the chain farming that has gone on for a while now.

2. It prevents "hit & run" harvesting. This has been an issue since the beginning of the game, and while I personally have chosen to not do this, I've seen situations in the past where someone newer than myself would run into trouble. You're out and about, playing the game, and you see a rich node that has a veteran, or a number of mobs, next to it. So, you decide to spend your time killing the mobs so you can harvest the node. Meanwhile, two people run up, harvest the node, and then leave you to whatever fate you may meet. Most will not die or anything, but I think overall the lack of respect shown towards people in that situation shows that this community isn't as great as people claim.

3. It prevents accidental harvesting. You're with a group fighting a champ, someone next to you is in downed state, so you side step, hit "F" and... "did you hear about the miner from Arah...". Easy to cancel, sure, but still annoying

Solution: put your pet on the mob. Hit and run harvest the node yourself. Run away, call pet off. No fuss, no muss.

Don't have a pet? Roll a ranger so you can harvest in peace anywhere. Don't like rangers? Hey, they have permanent 25% speed boost, come in all races and sexes, don't require ascended armor to just harvest, and you don't have to like the character you harvest with.

[bSEG]

> People will need to do events in order to clear idols in Orr before harvesting at the elder wood farm. It adds some need to do the temple events, and breaks some of the chain farming that has gone on for a while now.

Obviously you are unaware of the massive amounts of these nodes in PoF and to a lesser extent in HoT ...

> It prevents accidental harvesting. You're with a group fighting a champ, someone next to you is in downed state, so you side step, hit "F" and... "did you hear about the miner from Arah...". Easy to cancel, sure, but still annoying

That is a problem with the interact function having a stupid priority list. Back before autoloot there would be all too many times where I tried to ress a friend but the game decided that it was much more important for me to be picking up loot instead. On the other hand I know I've ended up ressing people who died on top of the flax patch in VB so I don't think this point is valid.

> @Neural.1824 said:

> 1. People will need to do events in order to clear idols in Orr before harvesting at the elder wood farm. It adds some need to do the temple events, and breaks some of the chain farming that has gone on for a while now.

What is the demonstrated harm of "chain farming?" Do they break events? Do they directly impede the gameplay of a majority of players?

> @Neural.1824 said:

> 2. It prevents "hit & run" harvesting. This has been an issue since the beginning of the game, and while I personally have chosen to not do this, I've seen situations in the past where someone newer than myself would run into trouble. You're out and about, playing the game, and you see a rich node that has a veteran, or a number of mobs, next to it. So, you decide to spend your time killing the mobs so you can harvest the node. Meanwhile, two people run up, harvest the node, and then leave you to whatever fate you may meet. Most will not die or anything, but I think overall the lack of respect shown towards people in that situation shows that this community isn't as great as people claim.

If a person won't stop to revive you before or after harvesting a node, are they more likely to care more without one? Frankly, I doubt it. Even if your proposal were to be implemented, those two people you have grievances with would simply avoid engaging the enemy you were fighting. And if you were to purposely manipulate the enemy to hit said players, through repositioning for example, then you would be in the wrong, instead.

> @Neural.1824 said:

> 3. It prevents accidental harvesting. You're with a group fighting a champ, someone next to you is in downed state, so you side step, hit "F" and... "did you hear about the miner from Arah...". Easy to cancel, sure, but still annoying

Currently, reviving Downed players have the highest priority on the Interact function, so this isn't really a problem at all.

Conclusion: Based on your arguments, I don't see a valid reason to implement the proposed changes.

> @Neural.1824 said:

> Gathering, whether it be ore, wood, or plant, has always had an issue that I think is time to bring up. it doesn't make sense that you can gather a node while you have something attacking you.

>

> My request of Anet (because I know probably 99% of the player base will be against this), is to change gathering so that if you are in combat, you cannot activate a gathering tool.

>

> The mechanics for this already exist in game (example: unable to interact with certain chests/items when in combat).

>

> Despite what people will say, there are several benefits to changing this:

> 1. People will need to do events in order to clear idols in Orr before harvesting at the elder wood farm. It adds some need to do the temple events, and breaks some of the chain farming that has gone on for a while now.

> 2. It prevents "hit & run" harvesting. This has been an issue since the beginning of the game, and while I personally have chosen to not do this, I've seen situations in the past where someone newer than myself would run into trouble. You're out and about, playing the game, and you see a rich node that has a veteran, or a number of mobs, next to it. So, you decide to spend your time killing the mobs so you can harvest the node. Meanwhile, two people run up, harvest the node, and then leave you to whatever fate you may meet. Most will not die or anything, but I think overall the lack of respect shown towards people in that situation shows that this community isn't as great as people claim.

> 3. It prevents accidental harvesting. You're with a group fighting a champ, someone next to you is in downed state, so you side step, hit "F" and... "did you hear about the miner from Arah...". Easy to cancel, sure, but still annoying

>

>

>

I see what your saying, but I also disagree. If you choose to engage a Veteran or mob around a node before other players run up to harvest said node than you have already made the decision to take this enemy down solo. Im not trying to be rude here but I would say that 99% of the player base can handle a small mob or Veteran enemy just fine on their own. I have this all the time doing Draconis Mons with the flax farm and have no problem tackling Veteran Grubs and Bats while others either choose or not choose to help me. If players cant handle this kind of enemy then maybe they need to look at their current build. And not choosing to engage a mob when you are just there to farm like everyone else is totally legit and should not be frowned upon. Its just the way it is.

The idea here seems to be that one person has a strong (and legit) personal preference for how to gather _and_ they want ANet to impose that preference on everyone else. It's bad for the game because it makes things less fun for many, because it creates work for ANet to address something that revolves around a matter of choice, and because it almost certainly won't result in the desired effect.

> @Neural.1824 said:

> Gathering, whether it be ore, wood, or plant, has always had an issue that I think is time to bring up. it doesn't make sense that you can gather a node while you have something attacking you.

Why doesn't it make sense? Seems like a perfect example of multitasking.

I guarantee that people will just swap to an easier farm (of which there are many).

> 2. It prevents "hit & run" harvesting. This has been an issue since the beginning of the game,

It's not "an issue" — it's simply something you don't happen to like.

> You're out and about, playing the game, and you see a rich node that has a veteran, or a number of mobs, next to it. So, you decide to spend your time killing the mobs so you can harvest the node.

Everyone learns how to handle this in their own way. You've chosen one way and you're suggesting that everyone else be forced to handle it the same way.

> Meanwhile, two people run up, harvest the node, and then leave you to whatever fate you may meet. Most will not die or anything, but I think overall the lack of respect shown towards people in that situation shows that this community isn't as great as people claim.

I don't understand how it's disrespectful to gather. If someone is having trouble, they can ask for help or team up with someone else. It's not up to you to decide how others choose to play.

That's easily addressed by changing node priorities (something that ANet should probably have done ages ago anyhow).

Worst idea I've ever seen.

My Necro has opened chests, gathered, collected hero points by simply telling my little guys "Go take care of this guy for me while I get this."

Especially if it's a champion guarding the chest, like the Krait that likes to just spawn endless Kraits to the point I can't solo due to that crap.

Or if I'm on my Thief, I just stealth to get the chest/hero point/gather and dash out of there.

Gathering of course I usually make sure if I have nothing to aggro, that I know I can take a few hits while I gather.

Forcing me to have to kill everything I see that's near nodes (especially rich ones)... especially where certain areas have enemies respawning within a few mins at a time so when you kill one but then if 1 or 2 veterans or higher see you, other nonsense respawn to force you in a place even longer because "I can't gather while I'm in combat", is more of a punishment.

That's not incentive , it's not challenging, it's only going to become a hassle and then Arenanet would just have to go back to the old ways.

No. No. And another no.

This is a bad idea.