Some arguments and counterarguments regarding Player Housing

Logos.5603

We already have it, it's called home instance. Aside from a wood building holding it, It's the same thing. Heck you can even have gardens now. Stop with this suggestion and let anet spend resources on something that's actually useful like more challenging content. Big Ol' NO to the idea of housing, fishing, and marriage etc.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My home is Divinity's Reach.

No, not humans... but all my characters.

I have my guild bank and my bank right next to each other. 10 feet away is the trading area. Just below me are the crafting spots.

I can also super fast travel with 0 loading between the 2 waypoints below and on top to get the the crafting spots even faster.

Can't do that in Citadel as stuff is still spaced out.

Can't do that in Hoelbrak with the way the waypoints are placed (and I hate Hoelbrak).

Can almost do that in Grove (Might be due to never really going there much but I don't recall where the trading npc is).

Can't do that in Rata Sum as all of the crafting areas are so spaced out.

The only thing Lion's Arch would have that I need is a Mystic Forge which I use... .00000001% of the time? I only use it to stat change ascended I need or when I'm forced to use it to get an ascended from a collection. That's it.

Guild Hall I can easily go to to insert items into the guild bank/collection and then leave.

Also fast traveling to Divinity is super easy with my Portal 3 Tome and Lake Doric by comply pressing back/s/down/whatever keyboard/controller you're using and load into the area.

Unless a home would have all those crafting areas, trading, bank, guild bank that close to each other, it won't have any convenience for me.

I still have not seen people fully counter the argument of just using guild halls.

You know you don't need people in there right? Can make your own personal guild hall on one of the 5 guild spaces you got. You don't need it upgraded to decorate it.

Just need to hire a scribe or become a scribe yourself.

> @"Tasida.4085" said:

> We already have it, it's called home instance. Aside from a wood building holding it, It's the same thing. Heck you can even have gardens now. Stop with this suggestion and let anet spend resources on something that's actually useful like more challenging content. Big Ol' NO to the idea of housing, fishing, and marriage etc.

I am getting so very tired of this argument.

You do know it is possible for a company to work on multiple work streams at once?

And maybe just maybe, implementing a second stream of developers who focus on player housing maybe freshen things up a bit.

Second to this, player housing is a massive cash cow. Implement housing, earn profit, and then implement further content using said profit.

Your problem solved using my wallet kind sir.

101 business....

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> My home is Divinity's Reach.

> No, not humans... but all my characters.

> I have my guild bank and my bank right next to each other. 10 feet away is the trading area. Just below me are the crafting spots.

> I can also super fast travel with 0 loading between the 2 waypoints below and on top to get the the crafting spots even faster.

>

> Can't do that in Citadel as stuff is still spaced out.

> Can't do that in Hoelbrak with the way the waypoints are placed (and I hate Hoelbrak).

> Can almost do that in Grove (Might be due to never really going there much but I don't recall where the trading npc is).

> Can't do that in Rata Sum as all of the crafting areas are so spaced out.

>

> The only thing Lion's Arch would have that I need is a Mystic Forge which I use... .00000001% of the time? I only use it to stat change ascended I need or when I'm forced to use it to get an ascended from a collection. That's it.

> Guild Hall I can easily go to to insert items into the guild bank/collection and then leave.

>

> Also fast traveling to Divinity is super easy with my Portal 3 Tome and Lake Doric by comply pressing back/s/down/whatever keyboard/controller you're using and load into the area.

>

> Unless a home would have all those crafting areas, trading, bank, guild bank that close to each other, it won't have any convenience for me.

>

> I still have not seen people fully counter the argument of just using guild halls.

> You know you don't need people in there right? Can make your own personal guild hall on one of the 5 guild spaces you got. You don't need it upgraded to decorate it.

> Just need to hire a scribe or become a scribe yourself.

This!!!!!!

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> My home is Divinity's Reach.

> No, not humans... but all my characters.

> I have my guild bank and my bank right next to each other. 10 feet away is the trading area. Just below me are the crafting spots.

> I can also super fast travel with 0 loading between the 2 waypoints below and on top to get the the crafting spots even faster.

>

> Can't do that in Citadel as stuff is still spaced out.

> Can't do that in Hoelbrak with the way the waypoints are placed (and I hate Hoelbrak).

> Can almost do that in Grove (Might be due to never really going there much but I don't recall where the trading npc is).

> Can't do that in Rata Sum as all of the crafting areas are so spaced out.

>

> The only thing Lion's Arch would have that I need is a Mystic Forge which I use... .00000001% of the time? I only use it to stat change ascended I need or when I'm forced to use it to get an ascended from a collection. That's it.

> Guild Hall I can easily go to to insert items into the guild bank/collection and then leave.

>

> Also fast traveling to Divinity is super easy with my Portal 3 Tome and Lake Doric by comply pressing back/s/down/whatever keyboard/controller you're using and load into the area.

>

> Unless a home would have all those crafting areas, trading, bank, guild bank that close to each other, it won't have any convenience for me.

>

> I still have not seen people fully counter the argument of just using guild halls.

> You know you don't need people in there right? Can make your own personal guild hall on one of the 5 guild spaces you got. You don't need it upgraded to decorate it.

> Just need to hire a scribe or become a scribe yourself.

So its you that keeps stealing the milk out of the fridge!

And those cookies I made last week that you ate, I expect them to be replaced by the end of the week please.

;)

Its the price you pay for living in a commune.

I'd like houses done like this: Instances added to world map, at least 1 in every region for variety of area. For a small gold fee, ability to buy parcel of land which is the instance from some npc or something inside. Then, get to custom build using pre existing structures in game. So you can put a sylvari house inside ascalon, a norn house in maguuma or whatever. Additionally allow a portion of guild hall decorations to be added. Craft it all using same mechanics for guild halls, though instead of npc collector have, for example, order form interactable object that you contribute resources to, and then have scribing class accessable via these houses instead of (for the guildless) and alongside guilds.

Or even scrap the crafting and just use it as a creative space. If crafting is used, then assure additional functionality: repair anvil and basic home instance vendors available to add, ability to place cats you've befriended, home craft/other nodes you've unlocked, gardens - everything home instances currently offer. And then allow placement of one craft station/npc per instance, limited wvw vendors (i dont do pvp, but i assume it has vendors so those too) earnt with wvw/pvp activites as well as whatever is deemed neccessary to place them, black lion trading post OR bank (possible to have either, but not both in the same instance).

> @"BumbleBee.8456" said:

> > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > We already have it, it's called home instance. Aside from a wood building holding it, It's the same thing. Heck you can even have gardens now. Stop with this suggestion and let anet spend resources on something that's actually useful like more challenging content. Big Ol' NO to the idea of housing, fishing, and marriage etc.

>

> I am getting so very tired of this argument.

>

> You do know it is possible for a company to work on multiple work streams at once?

> And maybe just maybe, implementing a second stream of developers who focus on player housing maybe freshen things up a bit.

>

> Second to this, player housing is a massive cash cow. Implement housing, earn profit, and then implement further content using said profit.

> Your problem solved using my wallet kind sir.

>

> 101 business....

>

And some of us are getting SO VERY TIRED of beaten dead horses for the last 5 1/2 years. It makes 0 sense to add housing when we already have it via INSTANCE and GUILD HALL and cities. Seriously smh

With home instances and the living world, the studio could do something much more interesting than the standard box and hooks approach to player housing. Imagine a HI/PH model that awarded NPCs as well as trophies. The LW could introduce so many characters: doctors, nurses, wounded soldiers, refugees, orphans, scientists, skilled craftsman, artists. The list is endless and choosing who we invited into our home instance would allow us to develop our characters personality. The studio could even explore ways to incorporate the player's choices into LW instances and into LW zones. In the case of LW zones, the studio could base the decision of which NPC moves forward into the next LW zone on which NPCs received the most attention, help or other type of 'vote'.

The box and hook approach works well for a theme park game. Tyrian Home Instances could be so much more. I don't play much anymore, and a box and hook approach would not increase how much I play. An approach that made the LW, and Tyria less a place to chase squirrels and more a place to build an identity for my character and Tyria would increase how much I play.

Gw2 is my first mmo so I won’t really give what needs to happen for arenanet. But I will say this. People who are saying banks too small. Or inventory is too small. Having housing also increases the capacity of items. As much as some people don’t like housing. Housing is a very good storage place.

How they will implement? Idk. But I do think if arenanet did add housing it would most likely be in the race home instance, and be allowed to upgrade the house.

Me housing is a good thing. I also think. For some people who already speed through everything in gw2 and finished achievements and etc. housing would be a good goal for people to accomplish before people go to a next game and wait for arenanet to update gw2.

> @"dominus nok.9263" said:

> Such as the rune merchant ghost that says, "he has no runes to sell". Complete a quest/collection to give his a new purpose or enable him as a merchant.

It's a throwback to GW1. Staci sold runes in The Eye in the first game. Much like how Micah doesn't have any skills to teach you.

And of course the argument that it’ll cost a tremendous amount of resources that no one but a handful of players want to pay for, and no one else who will ever see their housings.

Im not trying to be mean, but anet has limited resources. Let them focus on the main game and, secondarily, the festivals and collections/current-events.

If they were as big as Blizzard is (was), I wouldn’t advocate against it

First of all, OP, I loled at the murder-hobo comparision.

Secondly, I have no horse in the race for housing. I don´t see its use, but I also think that many people would like to have it. Contrary to raids it is a content for everyone and I mostly support freely accessible content. If Anet would just stop to make the same festivals every year over and over again they would probably have free ressources to make it.

I would be on your boat if it was a freely accessible village like it was in DAOC. The housing in DAOC was sterile and uniformed but you could open your house to a complete stranger if you wanted and sell your goods at your door. If it is instanced content, I fail to see how it contributes to the Roleplaying aspect you mentioned. Many heroes spend their life on the road until they settle down and build a castle, temple or wizard tower. That does not make them hobos, it makes them without a permanent home. A nomad or a camper isn´t a hobo either.

If you make it happen that people can build their homes together with others and you can fight for them in the open world I would not only be on your boat but would storm up the beach right beside you.

IMO star wars the old republic did it better, you can decorate your own house your way and it's account bound.

anyone can visit your house if they get a key granted and hang around, ppl even use them as a guild hall.

they are all instanced, you can buy a part of the house bit by bit and you don't have to buy everything unless you want to.

i am completely against open world housing, for what i have seen in archage the rich dedicated ppl can build their house and take all the spots while the ones who only have time to get one about a week later never have any chance at all.

it's chaos, it promotes elitism and yet another toxic part of the community.

• 4 weeks later...

My point of saying The Eye of the North would be a good idea is just to that home instances already exist for the different races/cities. The Eye of the North could be like a player home for the whole account. It's "the Commander's" house or base. the Living story characters could reside there and you could improve or decorate it based on achievements or completed content. Even if it were something as simple as a bookcase to store all the story tomes collected from living story content or a place to store the Zephyrite model. Being a currently established and unused instance it could easily used as an account wide personal space, bridge to GW1 content, and hub of future Living story content. In GW1 they offered the historical events upgrade where you had to buy missions to play content behind the lore of GW1. i'm certain most people would be willing to buy a similar system if the end goal was a personal space, more so if they could show it off.

I wish we did have player housing and more people would grind for their house. As much as guild halls are houses I would like my own. Guilds you never know if your betrayed and all the work you put in is given for nothing. It would be nice to have our own.

Also I would like to think my commander isn’t a bum. How can I kill Balthazar but no one offers a place to sleep? I know it’s fake but it would be nice to be closer to my character and have close realistic things about him. Housing should be something we should have. The extra inventory we can have. A place where we can possibly sleep and have a bed. And also have pajamas to sleep. I know it’s weird but it would be nice to act upon that and have a day and night feature in the game. That you can make your character sleep when you log off. Not important to most people but it would just be cool.

I know we have nodes but to have a home and make all your land as a garden would be amazing. To have couches and sit on the couches. Have tables and have people sit at the table and talk. Have meetings and plant food for everyone to chow down. I know that it’s just features and to look at. But when you just want to chill, standing isn’t the option to chill. Yes we have emotes to sit, and etc. but it would just be nice to have basic movements as an actual person. Drinking from a cup. Eating while sitting down. Having a fridge with stocked food in there. Etc. it would just be amazing.

I for one have absolutely no interest in player housing. Our home instance is just fine. Maybe the RP players need housing but for me, it would be useless. I have played many games that had housing. Spent the time to furnish them, got married and even adopted kids. Finished the house then left to adventure and never went back again. Some times I think if I ever went back I would have found the wife and kids dead from neglect.

Maybe if people really want it, just give them one of the buildings in the home instances or set aside an area there. It's already being customized to some extent so it's half way there. Open world houses? absolutely not.

Knowing Anet, if they implement Housing it will be either a really boring yet convoluted pseudo expansion of something we already have, or an incredibly smart new take on the whole concept of player housing never seen on any MMORPG before. I really hope it falls in the last category, if it happens...

The last game I played had housing , every character I played had one so that amounted to 14. I spent hours in auctions, leveling a craft so I craft furniture and cupboards, playing the game to keep up the maintenance cost. They were useful for extra storage and farming mats, but for me a 'purpose' to play.

Then the company in charge decided in their wisdom to have server merges and although I got my money back, I lost every house and all the hours I had spent. Pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me and it was one of the reasons I quit, so much time and effort thrown in my face. They thought it was funny and so did the community.

Now I'm not saying A-net would be like that, quite the opposite, but although I can see the gem store opportunities, I think housing would be a parasite. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to do any thing housing related any way.

Once bitten, well you know the rest.