DPS Meter Question

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > The hack tool attaches numbers to my account showing player using it numbers I'm providing in the fight. This is not simple looking at boss % HP, this is providing information related to my account and my performance. I don't deny you this tool but I should have right to agree on you spying on my gameplay.

> > >

> > > Your "performance" is no longer your own private information if you engage in combat together with other players. You are no longer on your own.

> > > And besides that the meter only works on players in the same party/squad, if you don't want your so called private data to be visible, then don't join a squad/party.

> > > I still find it ridiculous that anyone has a problem when they read their damage numbers in the open world

> >

> > It applies to open world as well as instanced content. If a group or squad are advertised as they monitor dps than it is obvious I can make a choice if I want to allow them to watch me. However you can't control 50 people in squad and that's absolutely beyond my control who uses this tool and who doesn't, whatever they declare about it. This is absolutely inappropriate in the game.

> >

> > For people fixated about numbers it should make no difference, because you can still require others to use this tool and share dps in group, but for players unaware of this tool or simply those who don't want to use it, it is absolutely required for anet to change their policy to not allow random people spying others players without their consent.

>

> Why? Knowing the dps of people in your squad/party means nothing. Even the tool itself is used in instances where it can track specific mobs, in the open world it doesn't, it just counts some dps it sees around it. Why would anyone advertise if they use or not a dps tool when it cannot be used to actually -monitor- anyone?

> You are making a big deal out of nothing

Well then, changing the policy to force arc dev to implement bgdm like solution where you need to accept others to spy on you should bring no consequence for you. If that's no big deal, you should not care either way.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > > > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > > The hack tool attaches numbers to my account showing player using it numbers I'm providing in the fight. This is not simple looking at boss % HP, this is providing information related to my account and my performance. I don't deny you this tool but I should have right to agree on you spying on my gameplay.

> > > >

> > > > Your "performance" is no longer your own private information if you engage in combat together with other players. You are no longer on your own.

> > > > And besides that the meter only works on players in the same party/squad, if you don't want your so called private data to be visible, then don't join a squad/party.

> > > > I still find it ridiculous that anyone has a problem when they read their damage numbers in the open world

> > >

> > > It applies to open world as well as instanced content. If a group or squad are advertised as they monitor dps than it is obvious I can make a choice if I want to allow them to watch me. However you can't control 50 people in squad and that's absolutely beyond my control who uses this tool and who doesn't, whatever they declare about it. This is absolutely inappropriate in the game.

> > >

> > > For people fixated about numbers it should make no difference, because you can still require others to use this tool and share dps in group, but for players unaware of this tool or simply those who don't want to use it, it is absolutely required for anet to change their policy to not allow random people spying others players without their consent.

> >

> > Why? Knowing the dps of people in your squad/party means nothing. Even the tool itself is used in instances where it can track specific mobs, in the open world it doesn't, it just counts some dps it sees around it. Why would anyone advertise if they use or not a dps tool when it cannot be used to actually -monitor- anyone?

> > You are making a big deal out of nothing

>

> Well then, changing the policy to force arc dev to implement bgdm like solution where you need to accept others to spy on you should bring no consequence for you. If that's no big deal, you should not care either way.

It's not a big deal in the open world, it can be a big deal in instanced content. Because in instanced content personal dps can actually matter, unlike in the open world. So no, you're wrong and you're also making a fuss about a non-issue.

> @Loosmaster.8263 said:

> They can't open monitor you if I remember. Don't join a squad if you're that paranoid about it.

No. Dps meter is not part of game engine. Group content has been there since the beginning of the game. If anyone wants to spy on me, they should ask me for permission. Anet allowed this tool but oversighted this huge thing because at the time they created their policy, BGDM was more popular.

There is a special place where people fixated about numbers can enjoy their company. However I see no reason why random spying in open world, fractals or pvp should ever be allowed by default.

You are aware that certain parts of your build are visible in the open world and instanced content by default, right? Boons, sigils, profession-specific mechanics like elementalist attunement, ranger pets, or rev legends, weapons equipped, that's all visible. By default. With no option to hide it *at all*.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> Unfortunately arena net made terrible mistake allowing players to watch other players' performance without their consent. I hope they are going to change policy and force arcdps developer to not allow random people spying on other players.

Because kicking players because of "bad" professions instead of the nomad dh pulling 400dps is so much better right? Raids are a team effort and without something like a dps meter pugs need to rely on guesses if the damage is low.

What do you do as a pug raid leader if you fail the enrage timer multiple times and don't have such a tool? Kick the power thief or engi because they are low tier on benchmark? Remember the no necro, ranger groups? Kicking because of profession choices and guesses is the alternative to dps meters.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Loosmaster.8263 said:

> > They can't open monitor you if I remember. Don't join a squad if you're that paranoid about it.

>

> No. Dps meter is not part of game engine. Group content has been there since the beginning of the game. If anyone wants to spy on me, they should ask me for permission. Anet allowed this tool but oversighted this huge thing because at the time they created their policy, BGDM was more popular.

>

> There is a special place where people fixated about numbers can enjoy their company. However I see no reason why random spying in open world, fractals or pvp should ever be allowed by default.

Using DPS meters is not "spying on you". It simply makes your damage output viewable. They don't know who you are, where you live, what computer system you're using and it does not allow them to view your browsing history, saved passwords and/or form information, etc.

And the DPS golem in the Aerodrome would somewhat like to disagree with your statement that "DPS meters are not part of the game engine".