Why do you like the Mesmer / Why are you a Mesmer main?

Sodeni.6041

I am starting to like it because it is one of the few classes in this game that use a pistol as a weapon in it's main rotation. I initially liked the holo because of the dual pistols or sword/pistol, but it wore when I learned the stupid kit swapping was still in effect outside of forge instead of using our main weapons for damage. Mirage though relies on the pistol phantasms for damage, so I got more interested in the class because of that. I actually get to use my guns like my Deadeye.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a necromancer main and an elementalist secondary. When I couldn't decide what to play, a friend of mine recommended mesmer. I didn't heed his advice and continued my little internal battle between what should be my true main. Another one of my friends and I play together, and he decided to make a mesmer (mirage). I really liked how it looked in sPvP and PvE, so I made a mesmer and transfered all my condi gear over to level up mirage (still doing so!) and give it a looksie.

I can't say I was disappointing. A fairly good health pool, lots of "summons", lots of ways to distract in PvP, and tons of utility in PvE. And a viable condi spec, at that (with mirage) that I enjoy the playstyle of. This is a class that I am really enjoying, it tickles that funny bone that necromancer tickles (with all its minions and punishment-like abilities) and it offers a different aesthetic. Oh, and it has a really good greatsword, scepter, and torch (my 3 favorite weapons). I've gotten my feet wet, and my only regret is that I didn't try mesmer when my first friend recommended it to me.

If I keep liking it in a week, I'm going to main it. Its that fun for me, and mirage is a blast (despite being perhaps a little underpowered next to the other elite specs). Chronomancer seems more of a support/power spec, which isn't exactly my cup of tea (even when condi was underpowered to all hell, I still played condi).

Don't like the passive phantasm side but love everything else. Spell effects, the stealthy and misdirecting feel, elusive and hard to put down in the game modes I play etc. I also really love Mirage, despite primarily enjoying supporting others - but I am never really captivated by Chrono. Also, purple is my favourite colour, that's obviously huge.

I wouldn't say it's my true main, rather i have two main classes and that is Ele and Mesmer.

> _I strike hard, without notice. The faint scent of lavender as butterflies fade away.

> My enemies fall at my feet, as their very mind turns on itself.

> Allies rely on me to weave semblance out of chaos and bend it to our advantage.

> Our magiks were made to entertain. Born of minstrels and bards.

> And as they say in the business, "Knock em' dead"._

> -**My Msemer Affirmation.**

I rolled a Mesmer main in GW1 because it looked classy with purple effects. I later realized how difficult it was to play without any focus on the core concept. Once I understood what it was, and what role it served, I was all in on it. While I died a lot in the process, I enjoyed playing.

Mesmer is like hard mode for me. It has made playing the new specializations interesting, because I understand that the designers have combat concepts and my role can be fluid and ever changing. Playing other classes is easier because of my understanding of this. And in that, the whole game is more enjoyable.

Time to post the reasons why I am a mesmer main :)

When I started to play GW2 some weeks after launch, people told me that every class is good on its own, so you don't have to choose the "best class" but rather the class that describes and interests you the most. I watched YT videos about all the classes and read their descriptions and the one that struck to me the most was the **mesmer**.

I always liked mages the most in MMOs and the mesmer was so unique and special to me when I first heard about them. I really like the concept of having **multiple versions of you** on the battlefield, **deceiving** and **playing with the enemy's mind**. Being able to cast **chaos storms** and **time warps** to harm your enemies, making them weak, while buffing yourself and your team really excited me.

Furthermore, **pink** is my favourite colour and the **butterflies** theme really fits well with the mesmer in my opinion :)

Gameplay-wise I really really like to have the **portal ability**. I always like to help people out with it in jumping puzzles or things like that. When exploring new areas and having to drop down and look for a vista or stuff, it also comes really handy as a back-up :D

The only thing I **don't like** about the mesmer are the shatter abilities. I always want to keep my clones up and trick my enemies so shattering my illusions is not logical to me. That's why I was hoping that the mirage changed the shatter skills to work differently but well...

However, the Mesmer is absolutely my favourite class. I just love everything about its theme and its style. I am looking forward to have a spec without shatter skills in the next expansion tho :)

I've only been playing for a couple of months. Have all 9 professions but mesmer has been my main and the one i keep going back to. I like its originality, skill set, play style and lore. Whenever I can help someone with a portal it really makes my day as I feel useful and can help out.

> @Kururu.8140 said:

> I've been really enjoying playing condi Mirage lately but I'm not sure if people would let me join a fractal or even a raid as a condi Mirage.

Yeah they would absolutely be mad if you didn't play chrono because of its amazing support.

And people don't want to take mirage because other classes do 4-5k more dps than a mirage. And mirage is reliant on phantasmal duelists to do max dps and if they die your damage is even less consistant.

> @Kururu.8140 said:

> I've been really enjoying playing condi Mirage lately but I'm not sure if people would let me join a fractal or even a raid as a condi Mirage.

I've been doing t4 fractals on hybrid mirage and tbh the dodge is insanely powerful with maximised endurance from vigour/food/sigils/runes.

I have been able to res teammates in insane aoe damage simply by timing dodges - it's like "F4-lite". And as well as this have amazing survivability.

So...

I'd probably say I'm split between Guardian and Mesmer in GW2, Mesmer main in GW1. Given the nature of the thread, though, I'll focus on the mesmer.

The general concept of mind magic, counterspells, and illusions is one I've liked since playing Sorcery in Master of Magic back in the 90s. Having a range of means to render the enemy impotent, or even turning their strength against them and punishing them for their actions, seems to me to be more interesting than simply having a range of options for evoking destruction. Mesmer had that well and truly covered, and as I've stated elsewhere, I had a tendency to think like a mesmer when playing other professions, looking for the options that allowed me to prevent the enemy from acting (such as blinds, dazes, and knockdowns) rather than pure damage options.

Now, the GW2 mesmer has less of a focus in that area, albeit still up there by GW2 standards (the fact that guardian also has a lot in that area is a contributing factor with that profession being a strong competitor). However, I also enjoy the summoning playstyle of the GW2 mesmer, and find it to be more active, and therefore more fun, than that of other summoning professions such as minion master necromancers. The aesthetic also helps: when I do resort to simple destruction by magical means, my preferred aesthetic for doing so is lightning, which I have to admit that I don't really think that ArenaNet has really captured the feel of with the GW2 elementalist. The 'purple lightning' effects on skills like Spatial Surge, Confusing Images, Winds of Chaos and Chaos Storm just feel more lightning-mage-esque to me than air attuned elementalists or Static Discharge engineers, even if I know it's not _technically_ lightning according to the game lore however similar it looks, and the fact that I get to combine that with illusions, reflects, and other means of mesmerising the enemy just makes it even better.

I started maining mesmer in gw1 (after playing around with other classes a fair bit, but always ending up with mesmer secondary and mostly mesmer skills on my bar)... The whole shut down the spellcasters, interrupt the healers and effectively lock down the melee classes was so intriguing and fun! And my whole skillbar were shades of pink and purple <3 Making a mesmer main when I moved to gw2 was a no-brainer.

Mesmer in gw2 is still unique, but some of the most amazing aspects from gw1 mesmer got lost in translation sadly. I've had so much fun on mesmer, being a melee range lightweight damage dealer is fun, being a clone bot in pvp is brilliant (am I here? or is this me? Nope, here I am!)

I never really liked chrono, the rotation is boring... Although I'm kinda glad we got a spot in end-game content.

Mirage is sooo much fun! I'm playing condi and rocking it in fractals and joined some raid bosses with my guild <3 the damage is awesome (compared to what I'm used to) and overall very fun mechanics. Also the neverending high risk high reward (or insta death) on axe 3 keeps things interesting. Love it! :D

I played a lot of games but i feel like out of all the classes I ever played, mesmer has suited me best. No other game has a class like mesmer, that I know of. I'm a melee caster that doesn't need to stand still to cast spells. I weave my melee attacks together with my illusion magic skills and it just flows so smoothly. I always love casters and light armored classes. But I also loved playing melee and using dual swords. Melee is conceptually the best imo.

> @Kururu.8140 said:

I think you probably could, at least for fractals.

One thing about raid builds, especially the ones Qtfy makes, is that they're optimized for full quickness and full alacrity. That's probably not gong to happen in a fractal and if anyone is running fractals _expecting_ to always have a Chronomancer I think they're nuts. What it also means is that things work well in fractals that don't work super well in raids, like non-staff power Tempest.

Basically I think condi Mirage is probably even better in fractals than it is in raids, maybe even with Infinite Horizon--the axe ambush with three clones mimicking it is no joke. It's not as good over a long fight as three pistol phantasms, but fractals aren't raids, y'know?

As for raids, I think the next balance patch is going to shake things up a lot. ArenaNet have talked about wanting to tone down some of those 38k+ DPS specs and bring up some of the underperforming ones, and I'd guess condi Mirage is right in the middle where they want them to meet. Chronomancer is still going to be super in-demand, unless they make some much-needed changes to quickness and alacrity (unlikely), but I bet DPS Mirage will be in a decent place.

im turning into a mesmer main slowly as i found a nice set up of skill order for pvp,

just last night i was going 1v1 against a scourge that turned into a 1v2 against a scourge and guardian... i died but not without taking out the scourge and downing the guardian.

sooooo much fun jumping around 'Sand Through Glass' first to doge back then instantly ' Jaunt' for the lulz after that i just spam axe and swap

> @czerwoni.9563 said:

> im turning into a mesmer main slowly as i found a nice set up of skill order for pvp,

>

> just last night i was going 1v1 against a scourge that turned into a 1v2 against a scourge and guardian... i died but not without taking out the scourge and downing the guardian.

>

> sooooo much fun jumping around 'Sand Through Glass' first to doge back then instantly ' Jaunt' for the lulz after that i just spam axe and swap

I also like fast and squishy classes in general! That's why mesmer and thief are so fun to me as well :)

I started off as Mesmer main. I started playing few month pre-HoT. It is unique class compared to what you see in other MMOs and ARPGs. Though, once I started branching out to other classes I started losing interest in Mesmer. It remained my main though through HoT release, and then I lost interest completely. I greatly dislike Chrono in both PvE and PvP. I was hoping the class becomes less dependent on shatter, and the exact opposite happened.

I like Mirage, but the ship has long sailed. I am now more used to killing mobs in 2-3 secs with Guardian and Rev. Mesmer feels too slow in comparison and my PvP experience with Mesmer is outdated :/

GW1 mesmer was absolutely useless

UNLESS

you had a very good grasp of the game and what you were up against. Then the class would dominate just about everything. It had this extra twist of not only denying the enemy his attacks, no you even hurt them while doing so.

Come GW2, my first character was a warrior. I stuck with her until she hit 80 keeping distractions to a minimum and forcing myself not to start new chracters (all long time MMO veterans know this plight, the always start a new character syndrome where you get a lot of low-mid level chracters and no max level character done).

My 2nd character was my mesmer and she has been my main ever since (with about 3 months of revenant post HoT launch to relax from the constant mesmer uphill battle). This was heavily influenced by my GW1 opinion of mesmer, and messing with other peoples minds is just to good to pass up.

I love the complexity, I hate the complexity. The class has its very own charm but did lose a lot of its charm compared to GW1 (in the area of denying enemies actions, which has more to do with GW2 combat system rather than the mesmer class).

We kind of got lucky with chrono. Arenanet admitted that the elite was basically an accident and they never intended for chrono to be this strong (66% alacrity anyone, immunity on well of precognition instead of aegis?). Befor HoT, mesmer was mostly known for 3 things: Timewarp, portal and eating nerfs left and right which were absolutely not needed. The class has come a long way since then (well chrono has, power mesmer became a thing like 2 months ago on August 8th).

Would I do it again? Maybe. The 2 classes I might have picked over mesmer are guardian (even with their tough time during HoT raids or elementalists (just can't get myself to master eli now. I'm just to old to have 2 complex classes mastered in my repertoire).

I first picked mesmer because it was the "least generic" class out of the then 8 options to choose from. Very quickly after starting to level my mesmer I grew very fond of its unique playstyle and the overall theme of deception and trickery through illusion. It always feels like the mesmer is very hard to pin down (especially with the new Mirage spec), and the idea of confusing opponents really appealed to me. Later on I realized that only **one** utility skill (before expansions) did direct damage to your target, and rest of them have all sorts of crazy utility; portals and Illusion of Life really stood out for me (yes, I used it back then in dungeons, and it's definitely proven its worth), and I grew to love the class even more for that.

When I returned to Guild Wars 2 after HoT was released, I didn't really know what to go with, so I took my time and leveled all of the professions to 80, and also mastered their respective elite specs to see what appeals to me the most. After trying out Mesmer and Chrono, there was not a second thought about it.

The first thing I fell in love with is the profession's theme; illusions, chaos magic, purple butterflies, unpredictability. A high-mobility light-armor duelist, oh boy. The profession feels so "out of place" as it's very unique compared to any of the traditional MMO classes that I absolutely couldn't resist. Throw in the time-twisting rift-shifting Chronomancer elite spec, and I was totally sold. How cool is that?

The second thing is that Mesmer completely fits my playstyle in every area of the game. I wanted a class that can support allies properly when specced to do so, but is also capable to deal enough damage and be self-sufficient in the open world. Good for WvW roaming too, and has the mobility and the tools to shine in PvP. The build variety is excellent, as you can go for a tricky power burst ganker, a full hardcore support, a tough condi duelist, or anything in between. The somewhat steep learning curve also is something that applied to me, and after spending a thousand hours on the class it definitely pays out. I didn't want to be able to spam my way through everything, so learning how to deal with different situations was a blast.

The last thing I instantly loved about the profession are the unique utility skills. I wanted to be one of those cool people who help others by portaling them around, and "break" the game with all sorts of creative tricks. I also like Thief a lot for it's stealth and mobility, and I love the fact that Mesmer shares some of those capabilities as well.

In a nutshell, the Mesmer is the perfect package. It has the tools for every situation I encounter, has the coolest theme behind it by far, and is overall the most fun profession to play for me. And that's why I am a Mesmer main.