It's been long enough, can we please buff ranger greatsword?

Sykes.5684

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > >

> > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > >

> > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > >

> > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > >

> > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > >

> > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > >

> > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> >

> > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> >

> > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> >

> > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> >

> > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> >

> > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> >

> >

>

> Maul is on half the CD of whirling wrath but whirling wrath not the only rotational damaging skill guardian greatsword has.

>

> "Burst", kitten off with your pitiful burst, you pvp people would call anything burst when it's done on tiny 15-17k healthpools.

>

> You can't infinitely block with greatsword, it only applies to ranged attacks, melee attacks trigger the knockback.

>

> Evade on an autoattack chain, which means you have to delay damage delivery to time an evade. Brilliant.

>

> Not a PvE weapon. Apparently most weapons in this game aren't, because they're designed around your garbage format that barely anybody plays.

So? Guard GS also has no block, no stun, no evade.

Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

I didn't say you can infinitely block, I said infinite amount of attacks. You are just illustrating your ignorance here. You can block many melee attacks by being out of range when the counter attack would occur or simply by jumping. And an infinite amount of ranged attacks.

Evade on AA is really one of the most unique weapons in the game, it's really good and some more damage would not compensate for it's loss.

Just play guard GS if it's that great, do you really want all weapons to perform the same tasks the same way?

> @Levetty.1279 said:

>

> > Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

>

> You can find more people in some out of the way low level map then you can playing PvP at its peak.

>

>

Yeah, I'm just trollin' the guy really. I play 10x more PvE than PvP but when I do PvP/WvW I love the Ranger GS. My point is that there's no need for every weapon on every profession to be a DPS weapon.

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > @Levetty.1279 said:

> > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> >

> > > Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

> >

> > You can find more people in some out of the way low level map then you can playing PvP at its peak.

> >

> >

> Yeah, I'm just trollin' the guy really. I play 10x more PvE than PvP but when I do PvP/WvW I love the Ranger GS. My point is that there's no need for every weapon on every profession to be a DPS weapon.

>

You keep saying that as if the alternative is that much better. Sword has pitiful damage. Comparing the "dps" sword of the ranger to the sword of the thief, which is regarded as their "utility" melee weapon. Both have leaps/shadowstep, thief got an evade or a stun, depending on the offhand. We got the evade. Thief got both cripple and weakness on the auto, we got cripple (still no cleave on that one, wtf?) and might. Exluding the stealth attack, but it's there nontheless (daze and blind).

I know comparing weapons across classes is dumb. This an expection I feel makes sense. They are both similar weapons. The thief one has a lower damage output than both its dagger and staff. It's not considered the dps choice of a thief. Yet it's noticeable better than the ranger sword in terms of damage. Not just on a golem meter, but just by playing it.

To me, the role of the sword as a damage dealer in pvp disappeared with the animation change. No more quickness sticking to people. Now it's just flailing around with a sword that does noticeable less damage than other swords.

Would it hurt our greatsword's "role" if it had comparable auto damage to other greatswords? No. Of course it wouldn't. And of course it wouldn't ruin the balance of anything. So what's the point of arguing it? Or pretending that we have a power melee that does the damage job? Sword doesn't.

> @Lazze.9870 said:

> > > @Levetty.1279 said:

> > >

> > > > Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

> > >

> > > You can find more people in some out of the way low level map then you can playing PvP at its peak.

> > >

> > >

> > Yeah, I'm just trollin' the guy really. I play 10x more PvE than PvP but when I do PvP/WvW I love the Ranger GS. My point is that there's no need for every weapon on every profession to be a DPS weapon.

> >

>

> You keep saying that as if the alternative is that much better. Sword has pitiful damage. Comparing the "dps" sword of the ranger to the sword of the thief, which is regarded as their "utility" melee weapon. Both have leaps/shadowstep, thief got an evade or a stun, depending on the offhand. We got the evade. Thief got both cripple and weakness on the auto, we got cripple (still no cleave on that one, kitten?) and might. Exluding the stealth attack, but it's there nontheless (daze and blind).

>

> I know comparing weapons across classes is kitten. This an expection I feel makes sense. They are both similar weapons. The thief one has a lower damage output than both its dagger and staff. It's not considered the dps choice of a thief. Yet it's noticeable better than the ranger sword in terms of damage. Not just on a golem meter, but just by playing it.

>

> To me, the role of the sword as a damage dealer in pvp disappeared with the animation change. No more quickness sticking to people. Now it's just flailing around with a sword that does noticeable less damage than other swords.

>

> Would it hurt our greatsword's "role" if it had comparable auto damage to other greatswords? No. Of course it wouldn't. And of course it wouldn't ruin the balance of anything. So what's the point of arguing it? Or pretending that we have a power melee that does the damage job? Sword doesn't.

I never said the alternative is that much better, but it IS better and it's the highest DPS weapon we have, I think it should stay that way, which is why in my earlier posts I advocated for GS's power co-efficients to be raised to the same as 1h sword, then you can raise 1h sword to be better than it currently is. They could raise it significantly. They'll never raise the AA dps of ranger GS to be comparable to the other GSs in game without losing the 1s evade and having 40% uptime on evade frames on an AA is pretty unique. I wouldn't want to lose that personally.

> > @Lazze.9870 said:

> > > > @Levetty.1279 said:

> > > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > >

> > > > > Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

> > > >

> > > > You can find more people in some out of the way low level map then you can playing PvP at its peak.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Yeah, I'm just trollin' the guy really. I play 10x more PvE than PvP but when I do PvP/WvW I love the Ranger GS. My point is that there's no need for every weapon on every profession to be a DPS weapon.

> > >

> >

> > You keep saying that as if the alternative is that much better. Sword has pitiful damage. Comparing the "dps" sword of the ranger to the sword of the thief, which is regarded as their "utility" melee weapon. Both have leaps/shadowstep, thief got an evade or a stun, depending on the offhand. We got the evade. Thief got both cripple and weakness on the auto, we got cripple (still no cleave on that one, kitten?) and might. Exluding the stealth attack, but it's there nontheless (daze and blind).

> >

> > I know comparing weapons across classes is kitten. This an expection I feel makes sense. They are both similar weapons. The thief one has a lower damage output than both its dagger and staff. It's not considered the dps choice of a thief. Yet it's noticeable better than the ranger sword in terms of damage. Not just on a golem meter, but just by playing it.

> >

> > To me, the role of the sword as a damage dealer in pvp disappeared with the animation change. No more quickness sticking to people. Now it's just flailing around with a sword that does noticeable less damage than other swords.

> >

> > Would it hurt our greatsword's "role" if it had comparable auto damage to other greatswords? No. Of course it wouldn't. And of course it wouldn't ruin the balance of anything. So what's the point of arguing it? Or pretending that we have a power melee that does the damage job? Sword doesn't.

>

> I never said the alternative is that much better, but it IS better and it's the highest DPS weapon we have, I think it should stay that way, which is why in my earlier posts I advocated for GS's power co-efficients to be raised to the same as 1h sword, then you can raise 1h sword to be better than it currently is. They could raise it significantly. They'll never raise the AA dps of ranger GS to be comparable to the other GSs in game without losing the 1s evade and having 40% uptime on evade frames on an AA is pretty unique. I wouldn't want to lose that personally.

What hopefully was clear in my last post (and that I was about to add but forgot to) is that the sword obviously needs a buff **aswell.** I'm fine with sword auto being better than gs auto, its two other skills aren't used for damage anyway. But they are both too low at the moment.

I don't agree that they would have to remove the evade for its auto to be comparable with other greatswords. It does nothing else. Doesn't even apply vuln. It has two low hitting attacks with no additional effects. And while evade on auto is unique, its limited how much use you get out of it. You often don't want to or can't go through an entire auto chain. WS combined with vigor traits from Skirm/NM often gives you enough stamina uptime to make it even less useful.

> @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > @Draeyon.4392 said:

> > > They need to let GS4 block for the full duration regardless if you get hit or not. The throw/knockback should always be optional for a second cast. Unlockable is in the game for a reason.

> > >

> > > Also, they could buff GS3 if more dps is needed. Or GS4 activation. Give a choice between a block/disengage vs damage. Would combo well now that Maul doesn't consume its own AoO.

> >

> > It only does the actual counterattack if you are in range of a target, so if you can pretty much always get the full duration by kiting.

> >

> > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > > >

> > > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > > >

> > > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > > >

> > > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > > >

> > > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > > >

> > > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > > >

> > > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > > >

> > > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > And yet in PvP Sword+anything is still superior in every build that would use Greatsword.

> >

> > For Bunker Druid, sure. Otherwise, GS is better. There is a reason it is used in *most* of the meta builds for PvP, it's got more utility.

>

> What? What meta builds?

> Sword alone is superior to greatsword. **You only need to evade Maul once or twice in a fight to make greatsword damage irrelevant, any competent opponent is going to evade it every single time**. Its block is mostly useless in a fight aswell, it's useless in melee as it locks you in an animation. AA does negligible damage. And what utility? The unreliable single target stun?

> Sword alone has constant pressure, the better disengage and superior evades, and then the offhand of your choice. Mostly Warhorn for additional stealth with Smokescale.

> Greatsword just sounds good on paper, it relies too much on a highly telegraphed skill.

>

> Reduce Maul's cast time, sliiiightly reduce its damage, significantly increase AA damage and make its block not trigger the knockback by melee attacks (reduce block to 2 seconds to balance it, and make the knockback a choice like with Bandit's Defense), and then and only then we might be talking about a decent weapon.

Weren't you complaining about warriors full counter being an aoe on a low cooldown. People said that it has a tell and can be dodged or evaded if you are paying attention. Maul is a high damage aoe, that also has an easy tell, and a lower cooldown. So, if a competent player can evade maul each time then why can't they with full counter?

That aside, I agree with the other saying that greatsword is a great utility weapon for a power ranger in pvp. Has good burst, gap closer/opener, block, and cc that resets burst even though burst has a short cooldown anyway. Sure auto attack may not be super great, but that is not why you take greatsword.

Edit: forgot one thing. I'm all for buffs to greatsword as I use it all the time anyway. So it would only make it even more fun.

> @Majirah.5089 said:

> > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > @Draeyon.4392 said:

> > > > They need to let GS4 block for the full duration regardless if you get hit or not. The throw/knockback should always be optional for a second cast. Unlockable is in the game for a reason.

> > > >

> > > > Also, they could buff GS3 if more dps is needed. Or GS4 activation. Give a choice between a block/disengage vs damage. Would combo well now that Maul doesn't consume its own AoO.

> > >

> > > It only does the actual counterattack if you are in range of a target, so if you can pretty much always get the full duration by kiting.

> > >

> > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > > > >

> > > > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > > > >

> > > > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > > > >

> > > > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > And yet in PvP Sword+anything is still superior in every build that would use Greatsword.

> > >

> > > For Bunker Druid, sure. Otherwise, GS is better. There is a reason it is used in *most* of the meta builds for PvP, it's got more utility.

> >

> > What? What meta builds?

> > Sword alone is superior to greatsword. **You only need to evade Maul once or twice in a fight to make greatsword damage irrelevant, any competent opponent is going to evade it every single time**. Its block is mostly useless in a fight aswell, it's useless in melee as it locks you in an animation. AA does negligible damage. And what utility? The unreliable single target stun?

> > Sword alone has constant pressure, the better disengage and superior evades, and then the offhand of your choice. Mostly Warhorn for additional stealth with Smokescale.

> > Greatsword just sounds good on paper, it relies too much on a highly telegraphed skill.

> >

> > Reduce Maul's cast time, sliiiightly reduce its damage, significantly increase AA damage and make its block not trigger the knockback by melee attacks (reduce block to 2 seconds to balance it, and make the knockback a choice like with Bandit's Defense), and then and only then we might be talking about a decent weapon.

>

> Weren't you complaining about warriors full counter being an aoe on a low cooldown. People said that it has a tell and can be dodged or evaded if you are paying attention. Maul is a high damage aoe, that also has an easy tell, and a lower cooldown. So, if a competent player can evade maul each time then why can't they with full counter?

>

> That aside, I agree with the other saying that greatsword is a great utility weapon for a power ranger in pvp. Has good burst, gap closer/opener, block, and cc that resets burst even though burst has a short cooldown anyway. Sure auto attack may not be super great, but that is not why you take greatsword.

>

> Edit: forgot one thing. I'm all for buffs to greatsword as I use it all the time anyway. So it would only make it even more fun.

You don't "take the weapon" for any auto. Not in pvp. And yes, that is putting it simply as some weapons obviously benefit from its auto attacks aswell. With the old sword you might very well say the autoattack was the reason you used it. But a great weapon on paper doesn't justify a weak auto chain.

Why do people keep arguing that it is "okay" for it to be like this because its other skills are good? GS is my favorite weapon to use in pvp and wvw, I like the utility. Doesn't make me "okay" with the autochain's damage. Doesn't matter if they bump up the numbers or make the attacks faster (an agile greatsword is quite fitting for a ranger anyway), it needs something.

> @Majirah.5089 said:

> > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > @Draeyon.4392 said:

> > > > They need to let GS4 block for the full duration regardless if you get hit or not. The throw/knockback should always be optional for a second cast. Unlockable is in the game for a reason.

> > > >

> > > > Also, they could buff GS3 if more dps is needed. Or GS4 activation. Give a choice between a block/disengage vs damage. Would combo well now that Maul doesn't consume its own AoO.

> > >

> > > It only does the actual counterattack if you are in range of a target, so if you can pretty much always get the full duration by kiting.

> > >

> > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > > > >

> > > > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > > > >

> > > > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > > > >

> > > > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > And yet in PvP Sword+anything is still superior in every build that would use Greatsword.

> > >

> > > For Bunker Druid, sure. Otherwise, GS is better. There is a reason it is used in *most* of the meta builds for PvP, it's got more utility.

> >

> > What? What meta builds?

> > Sword alone is superior to greatsword. **You only need to evade Maul once or twice in a fight to make greatsword damage irrelevant, any competent opponent is going to evade it every single time**. Its block is mostly useless in a fight aswell, it's useless in melee as it locks you in an animation. AA does negligible damage. And what utility? The unreliable single target stun?

> > Sword alone has constant pressure, the better disengage and superior evades, and then the offhand of your choice. Mostly Warhorn for additional stealth with Smokescale.

> > Greatsword just sounds good on paper, it relies too much on a highly telegraphed skill.

> >

> > Reduce Maul's cast time, sliiiightly reduce its damage, significantly increase AA damage and make its block not trigger the knockback by melee attacks (reduce block to 2 seconds to balance it, and make the knockback a choice like with Bandit's Defense), and then and only then we might be talking about a decent weapon.

>

> Weren't you complaining about warriors full counter being an aoe on a low cooldown. People said that it has a tell and can be dodged or evaded if you are paying attention. Maul is a high damage aoe, that also has an easy tell, and a lower cooldown. So, if a competent player can evade maul each time then why can't they with full counter?

>

> That aside, I agree with the other saying that greatsword is a great utility weapon for a power ranger in pvp. Has good burst, gap closer/opener, block, and cc that resets burst even though burst has a short cooldown anyway. Sure auto attack may not be super great, but that is not why you take greatsword.

>

> Edit: forgot one thing. I'm all for buffs to greatsword as I use it all the time anyway. So it would only make it even more fun.

Are you honestly nitpicking my words towards Spellbreakers and Fullcounter and even DARING to compare such an attrocious broken OP piece of crap with... Ranger Greatsword's Maul skill? Really? You only need to evade Maul to make greatsword damage irrelevant, period. It's not even remotely comparable. I even suggested to reduce its damage if the cast time ever gets reduced FFS.

Evading Full Counter is an issue because you have to evade SO MANY OTHER THINGS from a warrior, it also has ridiculous range and does stupid amounts of damage (while having a million side effects to boot)... while the bastard is unkillable and is applying ridiculous pressure at the same time.

You take greatsword for its gimmicky burst damage and that's it. It's a half functional weapon that sounds good on paper but doesn't really pose much of a threat at high level play.

> @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > @Majirah.5089 said:

> > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > @Draeyon.4392 said:

> > > > > They need to let GS4 block for the full duration regardless if you get hit or not. The throw/knockback should always be optional for a second cast. Unlockable is in the game for a reason.

> > > > >

> > > > > Also, they could buff GS3 if more dps is needed. Or GS4 activation. Give a choice between a block/disengage vs damage. Would combo well now that Maul doesn't consume its own AoO.

> > > >

> > > > It only does the actual counterattack if you are in range of a target, so if you can pretty much always get the full duration by kiting.

> > > >

> > > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > And yet in PvP Sword+anything is still superior in every build that would use Greatsword.

> > > >

> > > > For Bunker Druid, sure. Otherwise, GS is better. There is a reason it is used in *most* of the meta builds for PvP, it's got more utility.

> > >

> > > What? What meta builds?

> > > Sword alone is superior to greatsword. **You only need to evade Maul once or twice in a fight to make greatsword damage irrelevant, any competent opponent is going to evade it every single time**. Its block is mostly useless in a fight aswell, it's useless in melee as it locks you in an animation. AA does negligible damage. And what utility? The unreliable single target stun?

> > > Sword alone has constant pressure, the better disengage and superior evades, and then the offhand of your choice. Mostly Warhorn for additional stealth with Smokescale.

> > > Greatsword just sounds good on paper, it relies too much on a highly telegraphed skill.

> > >

> > > Reduce Maul's cast time, sliiiightly reduce its damage, significantly increase AA damage and make its block not trigger the knockback by melee attacks (reduce block to 2 seconds to balance it, and make the knockback a choice like with Bandit's Defense), and then and only then we might be talking about a decent weapon.

> >

> > Weren't you complaining about warriors full counter being an aoe on a low cooldown. People said that it has a tell and can be dodged or evaded if you are paying attention. Maul is a high damage aoe, that also has an easy tell, and a lower cooldown. So, if a competent player can evade maul each time then why can't they with full counter?

> >

> > That aside, I agree with the other saying that greatsword is a great utility weapon for a power ranger in pvp. Has good burst, gap closer/opener, block, and cc that resets burst even though burst has a short cooldown anyway. Sure auto attack may not be super great, but that is not why you take greatsword.

> >

> > Edit: forgot one thing. I'm all for buffs to greatsword as I use it all the time anyway. So it would only make it even more fun.

>

> Are you honestly nitpicking my words towards Spellbreakers and Fullcounter and even DARING to compare such an attrocious broken OP piece of crap with... Ranger Greatsword's Maul skill? Really? You only need to evade Maul to make greatsword damage irrelevant, period. It's not even remotely comparable. I even suggested to reduce its damage if the cast time ever gets reduced kitten.

> Evading Full Counter is an issue because you have to evade SO MANY OTHER THINGS from a warrior, it also has ridiculous range and does stupid amounts of damage (while having a million side effects to boot)... while the kitten is unkillable and is applying ridiculous pressure at the same time.

> You take greatsword for its gimmicky burst damage and that's it. It's a half functional weapon that sounds good on paper but doesn't really pose much of a threat at high level play.

Yes, I'm comparing it because your logic doesn't make sense. Both are aoes. Both have short cooldowns. Both have obvious tells. You say one can be avoided easily and the other cannot. I call BS. The powers themselves are not equal sure, but the counter to both is the same. Dodge or evade it when you see the obvious tell. If it works for maul it can work for full counter.

You don't have to evade anything else from a ranger? Really? You just eat rapid fire? You just gonna allow the gazelle or tiger to charge at you? You aren't going to dodge hilt bash? Your logic doesn't make sense and neither does your argument. The only argument in that reply that has any bearing is the fact that full counter has several things that it does. That is up for healthy debate. But the other pieces of your argument doesn't make sense. Both are easy to dodge if you are paying attention.

I'm not arguing against improving greatsword. I enjoy the weapon and would still enjoy it if it got buffed. I'm just calling you out on something that didn't make sense.

> @Khenzy.9348 said:

> You take greatsword for its gimmicky burst damage and that's it. It's a half functional weapon that sounds good on paper but doesn't really pose much of a threat at high level play.

Greatsword is the best option for running DPS on ranger. It is completely viable at high level play. It's not just about damage, which in practice is better than sword for a dps ranger because you are almost never sword autoing, it's about the utility. Sure, I'd love to do more damage with maul and wish hilt bash was more fluid but the rest of the set makes it far superior over anything else when playing a DPS ranger.

Any other build, sword is arguably better.

> @Eurantien.4632 said:

> Greatsword is the best option for running DPS on ranger. It is completely viable at high level play. It's not just about damage, which in practice is better than sword for a dps ranger because you are almost never sword autoing, it's about the utility. Sure, I'd love to do more damage with maul and wish hilt bash was more fluid but the rest of the set makes it far superior over anything else when playing a DPS ranger.

>

> Any other build, sword is arguably better.

>

That is false though. You camp sword autoattack because its autos alone out-dps ranger greatsword.

This is in PvE mind, PVP literally doesn't matter when talking about build viability because such a small fraction of the population even plays pvp. The main meat and potatoes of the game is open-world, fractals, and raids. Greatsword is absolutely not recommended in any of these.

> > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > >

> > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > >

> > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > >

> > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > >

> > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > >

> > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > >

> > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > >

> > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > >

> > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > >

> > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > >

> > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > >

> > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Maul is on half the CD of whirling wrath but whirling wrath not the only rotational damaging skill guardian greatsword has.

> >

> > "Burst", kitten off with your pitiful burst, you pvp people would call anything burst when it's done on tiny 15-17k healthpools.

> >

> > You can't infinitely block with greatsword, it only applies to ranged attacks, melee attacks trigger the knockback.

> >

> > Evade on an autoattack chain, which means you have to delay damage delivery to time an evade. Brilliant.

> >

> > Not a PvE weapon. Apparently most weapons in this game aren't, because they're designed around your garbage format that barely anybody plays.

>

> So? Guard GS also has no block, no stun, no evade.

> Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

> I didn't say you can infinitely block, I said infinite amount of attacks. You are just illustrating your ignorance here. You can block many melee attacks by being out of range when the counter attack would occur or simply by jumping. And an infinite amount of ranged attacks.

> Evade on AA is really one of the most unique weapons in the game, it's really good and some more damage would not compensate for it's loss.

> Just play guard GS if it's that great, do you really want all weapons to perform the same tasks the same way?

Guardian greatsword has a blind on its leap instead of block and a retal sign since the whole theme of guardian is to punish people who attack them. On top of that, it has a long range aoe pull that will be supremely more useful in about all of PvE than Hilt Bash ever will.

And more importantly, Guardian greatsword DPS does many times the DPS of ranger greatsword autos.

Congrats, you traded all damage for a bunch of redundant evades nobody needs in PvE.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> I've always though it's meant to be a tanky weapon more than a DPS weapon, and the problem therefore lies more in that, thanks to the dodge system, tankiness is bloody worthless in all but specific content with specific specs.

Problem is its tankiness isn't even reliable. You either sacrifice significant damage by delaying the autoattack and hold the evade, or you continue autoattacking and the evade window is wasted and then you eat a 10k+ attack from a mob anyways.

It's just a crappier version of a bounding dodge staff daredevil playstyle.

> @Sykes.5684 said:

> > @Eurantien.4632 said:

>

> > Greatsword is the best option for running DPS on ranger. It is completely viable at high level play. It's not just about damage, which in practice is better than sword for a dps ranger because you are almost never sword autoing, it's about the utility. Sure, I'd love to do more damage with maul and wish hilt bash was more fluid but the rest of the set makes it far superior over anything else when playing a DPS ranger.

> >

> > Any other build, sword is arguably better.

> >

>

> That is false though. You camp sword autoattack because its autos alone out-dps ranger greatsword.

>

> This is in PvE mind, PVP literally doesn't matter when talking about build viability because such a small fraction of the population even plays pvp. The main meat and potatoes of the game is open-world, fractals, and raids. Greatsword is absolutely not recommended in any of these.

>

He's not talking about PvE.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > > > > @Sykes.5684 said:

> > > > > > > Title says it all, the greatsword for ranger has been a borderline trash weapon for years. Its entire kit is out-dps'ed by main hand sword autoattack alone. It deals the lowest damage of all the other greatswords used by other classes and has pitiful utility to make up for it. It has no place in any sort of serious content and is only recommended for open-world casual play or perhaps roleplaying purposes.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm honestly a little surprised that it's been allowed to be this weak for this long, power ranger struggles enough as it is.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I couldn't care less that it is out DPSed by Sword main hand, because that is the DPS option. This is stupid logic anyway, why does it have to equal sword DPS? The utility is amazing, not pitiful. It's a PvP/WvW/OW weapon and it does perfectly fine at that. I'd like to see 0.15 added to Slash/Slice and 0.08 to Power Stab AA co-efficients and make Hilt Bash more reliable but that's about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not a utility option, what a silly thing to say.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mainhand sword offers evade, poison, leaps as well, and can be comboed with either offhand axe for a pull and reflect, or offhand dagger for poison+evade and a ranegd cripple.

> > > > >

> > > > > Please, if anything gretsword should be our raw DPS option considering all it provides in comparison is a single attack block and a single target stun.

> > > > >

> > > > > In PvE ranger greatsword needs buff on the realm of 40% to all its skills to even make it competitive.

> > > > >

> > > > > A maul with sic em currently still does less damage than a guardian's Whirling Wrath, and that sic em is only up 25% of the time while the guardian does his damage all the time....

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the laugh, made my day.

> > > >

> > > > Utility; evade on AA, burst on 4s CD, leap/finisher with evade, block/ranged cripple, interrupt/stun that refreshes the burst lol that's as utility as you can get!

> > > >

> > > > Obviously, the devs have chosen MH sword as the raw DPS and it's fine that way. Do you realise you can block an infinite amount of attacks with Counterattack?

> > > >

> > > > GS is not a PvE weapon. Except OW where you can routinely 1-shot mobs.

> > > >

> > > > Maul is on half the CD WR is on Guard, go add up the damage values on those two taking that into account. Don't even use Sic Em.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Maul is on half the CD of whirling wrath but whirling wrath not the only rotational damaging skill guardian greatsword has.

> > >

> > > "Burst", kitten off with your pitiful burst, you pvp people would call anything burst when it's done on tiny 15-17k healthpools.

> > >

> > > You can't infinitely block with greatsword, it only applies to ranged attacks, melee attacks trigger the knockback.

> > >

> > > Evade on an autoattack chain, which means you have to delay damage delivery to time an evade. Brilliant.

> > >

> > > Not a PvE weapon. Apparently most weapons in this game aren't, because they're designed around your garbage format that barely anybody plays.

> >

> > So? Guard GS also has no block, no stun, no evade.

> > Who cares about PvE? You can literally run around naked with no traits or skills and win it.

> > I didn't say you can infinitely block, I said infinite amount of attacks. You are just illustrating your ignorance here. You can block many melee attacks by being out of range when the counter attack would occur or simply by jumping. And an infinite amount of ranged attacks.

> > Evade on AA is really one of the most unique weapons in the game, it's really good and some more damage would not compensate for it's loss.

> > Just play guard GS if it's that great, do you really want all weapons to perform the same tasks the same way?

>

> Guardian greatsword has a blind on its leap instead of block and a retal sign since the whole theme of guardian is to punish people who attack them. On top of that, it has a long range aoe pull that will be supremely more useful in about all of PvE than Hilt Bash ever will.

>

> And more importantly, Guardian greatsword DPS does many times the DPS of ranger greatsword autos.

>

> Congrats, you traded all damage for a bunch of redundant evades nobody needs in PvE.

Use a Guardian GS then. There is no need for every greatsword to be the same.

> @Sykes.5684 said:

>

> > Greatsword is the best option for running DPS on ranger. It is completely viable at high level play. It's not just about damage, which in practice is better than sword for a dps ranger because you are almost never sword autoing, it's about the utility. Sure, I'd love to do more damage with maul and wish hilt bash was more fluid but the rest of the set makes it far superior over anything else when playing a DPS ranger.

> >

> >

>

> That is false though. You camp sword autoattack because its autos alone out-dps ranger greatsword.

>

> This is in PvE mind, PVP literally doesn't matter when talking about build viability because such a small fraction of the population even plays pvp. The main meat and potatoes of the game is open-world, fractals, and raids. Greatsword is absolutely not recommended in any of these.

>

In addition to wondering where you're getting your numbers from, this is also very narrow minded of you.

"I don't play PvP or WvW so only a handful of people do."

> @Sykes.5684 said:

>

> >

> >

>

>

>

Ah. My bad. I always assume PvP. Yeah sword is hands down better in PvE.

Hilt bash should improved and should kinda work like the warrior shield rush skill. You rush with your GS and stun an opponent. All other effects stay the same, vut distance and animation should be improved.

AA could use some bonus dmg. It should not be as high as sword but it should be a little bit tuned.

> Use a Guardian GS then. There is no need for every greatsword to be the same.

>

>

Its not about being the Same, its giving an example of a well designed kit for an offensive setup. Warrior GS has extremely similar utilities, yet still vastly stronger then Ranger GS. The big problem, and ultimately the one thing all the complaints have in common, is that Ranger GS lacks Self-synergy for a burst set up. Guardian can leap blind, and instantly go into Whirling blade; or pull and Whirling blade to deliver strong damage. Warrior has Rush as huge gap closer, followed by whirling blade; damage is moderate, but immediately flows back to back to tackle mobile targets. Combo'd with stun utility (like Bull's charge), or Mace/Shield stuns, and you can immediately weapon swap to deliver at least some of Hundred blades damage before they recover.

Maul on the other hand doesn't pay off nearly enough for landing it, and requires the pet capitalize on the +50% damage (with a big attack you can't time in most cases) to see returns. This makes the setup potential of the other GS skills only useful for its own isolated utility... which is a common problem with most Ranger weapons, many of its traits, and even half its utilities. Everything about it screams aggressive play... long range gap closer, evade frames on AA, a potential Stun, and a block... but it doesn't deal enough damage to stay aggressive (ie camp the weapon), and the controls are too situational despite the low cool downs. Yeah you could harass a target, but you could also do that with either of the bows without the risk of being melee range. Compare that to Warrior hammer.... middling damage compared to its other options, but it can lock down a target for a follow barrage.

So to recap..... GS doesn't have clear burst potential, but all of its skills promote highly aggressive dive strats. Its defensive ability only works in Bunker setups... but Guard Hammer can do that while still being useful in offensive situations. Its control skill is too conditional, its block is breaks attack rhythm.... and the one thing could tie it all together doesn't have enough raw burst damage to really pay off for its use. The only reason Maul has that low a cool down, is because its being treated as your sustained damage source.... and it fails at it, because it disrupts your combat flow.

Short of redesigning it around a different concept, I can only really suggest a couple changes to give it more definition.

- Change Hilt Bash to trigger stun on target using a skill. (remove the flank requirement).

- Replace Counter Attack with Dryder's Defense (3 second block), Replace Crippling throw with "Drake Sweep" (2 second Knock Down, 220 range)

- Change Maul to deal an extra attack from the Pet, if both are within Melee range of the targets.

The changes make 4 and 5 more proactive, and complicates engaging them at melee range, so the sustained pressure of maul starts to make more sense. For PvE its a raw aoe Damage increase, but for PvP and WvW it adds more definition as a melee control kit.

> @InsaneQR.7412 said:

> Hilt bash should improved and should kinda work like the warrior shield rush skill. You rush with your GS and stun an opponent. All other effects stay the same, vut distance and animation should be improved.

> AA could use some bonus dmg. It should not be as high as sword but it should be a little bit tuned.

Hilt Bash still hit shorter than the tool tip suggested.

As for the block, Warrior's block can contentiously blocking regardless of range and can have reflect traited.

In PVP, GS block probably will only block one attack because people attack you from all kind of range by spamming their skills.