Scourge Fractal build discussion

Xenic.1387

hey guys, I've been running Teapot's PlagueDoctor's build in Fractals. I'm Fractal level 60 or 61 at the moment so mid T3 level. I've read that some guys don't like the plague doctor's gear set because they feel like it's not the right stats. My question would be what gear set would you pick instead if you wanted to still play that build (or one similar).

Scourge is terrible in fractals because it has low burst damage, you should only play it in raids. There is a shaman/marshal gear variant that sacrifices a lot of the personal DPS that Plaguedoctor provides but with stronger, squad-wide barriers and a stronger transfusion while still retaining some epidemic damage. The other two relevant stat combos would be full magis (no epidemic value but maximum heal/barrier value) or just playing DPS scourge (vipers - also probably the closest build to the Plaguedoctor Hscg). It's worth noting now though that if you want to play necro in fractals in (CM's + T4 groups) you should only play Power Reaper

Thanks. I haven't been able to get in a raid yet.... There's never anything in LFG. And on the rare case there is, it's always send kill proof, exp only, etc....

Reaper is fine but 99% of the time there's just no support players in pug groups, which is why I started playing support necro. I'll still make sure I have a reaper gear set ready to go though.

> @"Xenic.1387" said:

> Thanks. I haven't been able to get in a raid yet.... There's never anything in LFG. And on the rare case there is, it's always send kill proof, exp only, etc....

>

> Reaper is fine but 99% of the time there's just no support players in pug groups, which is why I started playing support necro. I'll still make sure I have a reaper gear set ready to go though.

If you want to go for a support build for fractals (I assume you mean heal-support), try Firebrand. You provide might, quickness, fury, regen, swiftness, stability, aegis etc for boons and have access to tons of stability, reflects and CC options too.

A good barrier (Magi) scourge can carry a party. Especially pug groups that ignore mechanics. I have been in pug groups that have finished all T3 and Recs in less than 30 minutes. Is this for the hardcore optimal group that demands meta builds and classes no. But in most cases if your not one of those people you don't want to be around those people. The demand for perfection is not worth the head ache for me. Since you get two free build templates why not have one DPS and one Heal for your necro. It may just be your get out of Twightlight Oasis Jail Free Card.

My advice is play the way you want. Don't let the meta cloud your play style just play your way!

• 10 months later...

> @"Painbow.6059" said:

> Scourge is terrible in fractals because it has low burst damage, you should only play it in raids. There is a shaman/marshal gear variant that sacrifices a lot of the personal DPS that Plaguedoctor provides but with stronger, squad-wide barriers and a stronger transfusion while still retaining some epidemic damage. The other two relevant stat combos would be full magis (no epidemic value but maximum heal/barrier value) or just playing DPS scourge (vipers - also probably the closest build to the Plaguedoctor Hscg). It's worth noting now though that if you want to play necro in fractals in (CM's + T4 groups) you should only play Power Reaper

Not sure what changed in a year, but my scourge rocks in fractals. They're a tanky, deadly, with good team support and burst cc. Many times I'll revive the a team or finished a fractal after a wipe. 2 or 3 on a team is usually solid. My build is based on metabattle with variations. I've not even maxed and she's tough as nails. Good all around char.

Unless you're trying to speedrun, have a static group that needs a specific kind of build, or are trying to get in the groups that waste all day waiting for their utterly useless dream comp (you can just pug literally any frac without an elitist lfg and you'll be done 5x faster), just play whatever keeps you (and if you want, your team too) alive while dealing decent damage.

As for the actual question, i see little reason to swap off plaguebringers. It's more than enough supp stats along with some condi dmg so you're not overly weak. You should only swap off it if YOU want to. The people who complain about others tend to just be weak moa farmers with overinflated egos.

No matter what you wear, staying up, keeping your group up and taking care of the mechanics is faster and more successful than maxing dps but running into problems.

Keep on with whatever gear you have as long as it works for you. There are other options but those are less important than avoiding a wipe. Feel free to mix equipment stat's as long as it supports your chosen weapon. The "all a matched set" thinking is wrong.

it is hscourge valid for fractals ?

yes. But only setup is balanced for that. So preferably you need have const party for that.

possible variants -

if you HSG I write other 4 members

1)chrno sup + bs+2dps (or instead bs 3 dps)

on this way you need have in costant party SKILLED chrono sup and understanding on party how boons aplied to prevent boons lack

2)alac, Qfb ( condi or pqfb, both biuls wiht Permanent Quickness, BUT NOT HFB.) +2dps (or instead bs 3 dps)

so we adapt most common setup for hsg, but most FB players if thay take dps biuld whit Permanent Quickness don't want see any necro in that party. So at fisrt you need find fb who always will go with you. And this qfb shoudl provide real good dps with perma quickness to make others members accept that duo.

3)2 condi renegates with conc sigl and f4 spam, bs or dps, and qfb/cqfb mentioned in second setup

there is also mane other setups, and all they also non common -meta, so for good chils run you need don't fair constant party setup

• 2 weeks later...

> @"lare.5129" said:

> 3)2 condi renegates with conc sigl and f4 spam, bs or dps, and qfb/cqfb mentioned in second setup

Ren doesnt need conc sigil in that case and cren is terrible outside of 100.

> @"Slappy.5419" said:

> Not sure what changed in a year, but my scourge rocks in fractals. They're a tanky, deadly, with good team support and burst cc. Many times I'll revive the a team or finished a fractal after a wipe. 2 or 3 on a team is usually solid. My build is based on metabattle with variations. I've not even maxed and she's tough as nails. Good all around char.

Scourge is absolutely terrible in fractals. A trailblazer fb would probably do twice your dps while being unkillable.

It's a good healer replacer for CM100 when one FB is CQFB. Epi is good to use for spreading softCC onto Sorrows and barriers/mini-cleanses are nice, DPS isn't total trash (but of course it's not going to top any charts unless they're trash) and res potential smoothes out a lot of kinks (people often get downed really awkwardly on this one - your dead baby vacuum takes care of that). Can smooth out runs for intermediate/lowKP groups or used in personal static where just having fun and clearing reliable on any day is the goal.

CScourge is better than what people say, _but_ naturally far from the most optimal thing in the world to play and Reaper is generally better (except in CM100, if necro's your only option - go with Scourge, Reaper just plain suffers there no matter how you look at it). It does, however, shine in several fractals; Siren's Reef, Deepstone, and basically anything you can make use of Epi at. Doesn't perform too shabby by pug standards in CMs in general, considering that most low-to-mid KP groups aren't even hitting third of DPS potential their classes should be doing, unironically. Like, you can expect 22-25k pulls on Ensolyss if you really try, generally about 20-21k. Your friendly average pug would rarely breach 16-20k on this encounter, meanwhile, and that's with KP gatekeeping. Worth noting that getting a decent number is easier on Scourge in general, because you really don't have any rotation to speak of, you just priotize skills and then fire them off ASAP. Very low mental investment, fantatic for when you don't feel like putting mental effort into anything - we all have those days.

If you solopug a lot, having pocket plaguedoctor healscourge ready to swap from Reaper is going to be a godsend for when you get a struggling group, trust me on that one.