Holosmith is nastily OP

Ithilwen.1529

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

A marauders dead eye with 25 might and maleficent seven, hitting a mesmer with no extra toughness and 25 vulnerability with death's judgement should be something like this:

2800[power] x 1.6[coefficient] x 1.873[critical] x 2.26[7x18% malice dmg modifier] x 1205[best roll weapon strength] x 1.25[vulnerability] / 1920[mesmer's defense]

should equal 14900+ damage. You'd need another modifier that will boost your damage by 300% to reach 35000+ damage in my opinion.

If the mesmer was naked, you'd get around 29000+

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Ithilwen.1529 said:

> This is a spec that literally takes no damage for 30 seconds at a time and has an easy one shot kill. It's another example of the failed thought behind ammunition. The ammunition mechanic allegedly limits scourge. In fact, it allows them to spam nukes because the opponent dies before they run out and they have plenty of time to recharge.

>

> Really poorly thought out, ANET. Though, I'm sure it sold copies of PoF.

>

> ~edit~ Isn't this the same guy who gave us Scourge?

i am being trolled and i love it

> @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > >

> > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > >

> > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> >

> > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

>

> Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

And they do far more damage than a reaper.

I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

> @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > > >

> > > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > > >

> > > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> > >

> > > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

> >

> > Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

>

> And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

> And they do far more damage than a reaper.

>

> I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

>

> BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

>

> Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

> So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

Holo invuln is a double edged sword, especially if they take the passive one. If that goes off when you have several high-damage condition stacks on them, that will get you downed. Plus, reaper has far better condition removal, especially when being hit with crowd control. I also dispute your assertion that condition reaper is not useful (at least in the absence of scourge). The reaper also has access to boon rip and convert, which the holosmith doesn't. So stop acting like reaper has no advantages over holosmith, because that is not true at all.

Compared to all elite specs from pof, holosmith is probably the most balanced at the moment. Sure in beta the damage was way too much but after nerf it seems fine. It's a high risk, high reward build and pretty entertaining to fight with and against. Holo is so weak against condis and just as some people mentioned, invuln is a risky method to deal with them. Not sure why anyone would complain.

> > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > > > >

> > > > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> > > >

> > > > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

> > >

> > > Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

> >

> > And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

> > And they do far more damage than a reaper.

> >

> > I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

> >

> > BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

> >

> > Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

> > So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

>

> Holo invuln is a double edged sword, especially if they take the passive one. If that goes off when you have several high-damage condition stacks on them, that will get you downed. Plus, reaper has far better condition removal, especially when being hit with crowd control. I also dispute your assertion that condition reaper is not useful (at least in the absence of scourge). The reaper also has access to boon rip and convert, which the holosmith doesn't. So stop acting like reaper has no advantages over holosmith, because that is not true at all.

Reaper has no practical advantages over Holosmith. Holosmith is better in both teamfights and 1v1 than power reaper ever was and ever will be.

The only reason Holosmith is "bad" is because it's heavily countered by scourge. Once scourge falls Holosmith will be meta.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

> 35k Deaths Judgement, wow, Deadeye OP! 7k Holo Leap, on a 2s CD? Wow!

>

> I'll explain why the gw2 forums aren't crazy for thinking the skills in question are fine.

>

> Players know that skills don't average highlight reel damage, don't ignore the Counterplay, do take build sacrifices, have small windows of opportunity, and still don't result in more than the decent/average performance of the classes.

>

> Don't be mad that a rifle Deadeye and Marauder Holosmith use a different but balanced path to achieve results. Whine when you can stack 2 Deadeyes and two Holosmiths on a team and expect to achieve a win.

>

> Edit: most players give props to Deadeyes and Holosmiths that thoroughly own them.. Say what you want but playing glass has a few more things that can go wrong vs. Playing Scourge or SB where your skills nearly always get huge value.

This couldn't be more true. There's huge setup to both of these examples. More than the most prominent Condi spec have right now which is an absurdity in its own right.

Windows of opportunity is just a concept lost here. All people see is "i got hit by BIG NUMBAR, NERF" without understanding the mechanics behind making it possible to get said number. This is why i ask anyone whining about Death's Judgement to try it out for themselves and count the windows they have to pull off these shots during a single game and take into account that against competent opponents, these windows become rarer and rarer. People with great situational and spacial awareness and the ability to predict their opponents move ahead of time (and great players of virtually any PvP game have both of these) can completely shut down a Deadeye.

> @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> > > > >

> > > > > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

> > > >

> > > > Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

> > >

> > > And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

> > > And they do far more damage than a reaper.

> > >

> > > I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

> > >

> > > BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

> > >

> > > Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

> > > So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

> >

> > Holo invuln is a double edged sword, especially if they take the passive one. If that goes off when you have several high-damage condition stacks on them, that will get you downed. Plus, reaper has far better condition removal, especially when being hit with crowd control. I also dispute your assertion that condition reaper is not useful (at least in the absence of scourge). The reaper also has access to boon rip and convert, which the holosmith doesn't. So stop acting like reaper has no advantages over holosmith, because that is not true at all.

>

> Reaper has no practical advantages over Holosmith. Holosmith is better in both teamfights and 1v1 than power reaper ever was and ever will be.

>

> The only reason Holosmith is "bad" is because it's heavily countered by scourge. Once scourge falls Holosmith will be meta.

>

Reaper is better against any condi build except mesmers and possibly scourges. But either way, this means that reaper needs a buff, because holosmith is well balanced against most of the other common builds.

That being said, my brother doesn't appear to have any real issues playing reaper, aside from scourges and spellbreakers.

> @Razor.6392 said:

> Welp, GW2 forums where people think a leap that crits for 7k with a 2 sec cd is balanced.

I like how we have power builds doing 5k damage auto attacks in between 10k-16k burst, but taking 2k dps from conditions means we have a condi meta that must be nerfed.

> > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

> > > > >

> > > > > Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

> > > >

> > > > And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

> > > > And they do far more damage than a reaper.

> > > >

> > > > I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

> > > >

> > > > BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

> > > >

> > > > Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

> > > > So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

> > >

> > > Holo invuln is a double edged sword, especially if they take the passive one. If that goes off when you have several high-damage condition stacks on them, that will get you downed. Plus, reaper has far better condition removal, especially when being hit with crowd control. I also dispute your assertion that condition reaper is not useful (at least in the absence of scourge). The reaper also has access to boon rip and convert, which the holosmith doesn't. So stop acting like reaper has no advantages over holosmith, because that is not true at all.

> >

> > Reaper has no practical advantages over Holosmith. Holosmith is better in both teamfights and 1v1 than power reaper ever was and ever will be.

> >

> > The only reason Holosmith is "bad" is because it's heavily countered by scourge. Once scourge falls Holosmith will be meta.

> >

>

> Reaper is better against any condi build except mesmers and possibly scourges. But either way, this means that reaper needs a buff, because holosmith is well balanced against most of the other common builds.

>

> That being said, my brother doesn't appear to have any real issues playing reaper, aside from scourges and spellbreakers.

So basically reaper is better against condi builds, except for the condi builds that are actually meta.

More Bronze League Wisdom from Ithilwen, no surprises there. The only semi-useful defensive Skill from Holosmith is Spectrum Shield, which reduces the Damage for 50% for a grandiose 3 seconds (30 sec cd, 15 sec when over the heal threshold). Which is so great, that barely anyone uses it. Also you can a relatively short lived regeneration when leaving Holo-Mode. The rest is the same old (subpar) core defense of Engi, mostly active Eli S, passive Eli S. I have no idea how you even get the idea that Holo takes no Damage for 30 seconds, the whole thought is ridiculous. Holosmith is FAR squishier than Scrapper, what makes it viable is the semi-decent burst and decent mobility/CC.

I'm not even sure if your threads are serious or if you're actually just a very subtle troll.

> @Falan.1839 said:

> More Bronze League Wisdom from Ithilwen, no surprises there. The only semi-useful defensive Skill from Holosmith is Spectrum Shield, which reduces the Damage for 50% for a grandiose 3 seconds (30 sec cd, 15 sec when over the heal threshold). Which is so great, that barely anyone uses it. Also you can a relatively short lived regeneration when leaving Holo-Mode. The rest is the same old (subpar) core defense of Engi, mostly active Eli S, passive Eli S. I have no idea how you even get the idea that Holo takes no Damage for 30 seconds, the whole thought is ridiculous. Holosmith is FAR squishier than Scrapper, what makes it viable is the semi-decent burst and decent mobility/CC.

>

> I'm not even sure if your threads are serious or if you're actually just a very subtle troll.

For the record. I'm in mid-gold. As to the rest, I don't agree.

> @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > > > > > @TheDevice.2751 said:

> > > > > > > > @Khenzy.9348 said:

> > > > > > > > The only thing that I don't like is their perma stability on forge with Crystal Configuration: Eclipse by spamming skill 3. Why would you eliminate legit counterplay like that? And virtually remove the need to use Elixir B? So you can counter their Photon Forge by CC, only with, AGAIN, Spellbreaker and Scourge (and thieves to a lesser extent). Lel.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It's little things like these that really infuriate me. Like a Mirage breaking stuns with their dodge. This eliminates the need for a mirage to time their dodge when stuned to avoid incoming burst, and it also removes the strat to damage their precious endurance bar with CC and proceed to burst down when the CC ends.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > These little things remove counterplay and strategy. They define powercreep extremely well. They design inherent weaknesses and then they remove them with things like this. It's idiotic.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Didn't you hear? Only reaper should have obvious and easily accessible counterplay. Holosmith doesn't have to have silly things like low mobility, absurdly slow/ highly telegraphed skills, limited access to stability, etc. Nonsense!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Holosmith has a third to a half of the reaper's effective health pool, depending on build.

> > > > >

> > > > > And has an infinite scaling escape tool they can use twice in a fight.

> > > > > And they do far more damage than a reaper.

> > > > >

> > > > > I love when people say this stuff but its OBVIOUS holosmith lasts longer in fights. much much longer.

> > > > >

> > > > > BTW you just named ONE Thing compared to like 5 different things i listed

> > > > >

> > > > > Holosmiths have two invuln abilities: This should be enough to compare to our "second life bar"

> > > > > So get on to discussing why we also have all the other hindrances while holosmith doesn't.

> > > >

> > > > Holo invuln is a double edged sword, especially if they take the passive one. If that goes off when you have several high-damage condition stacks on them, that will get you downed. Plus, reaper has far better condition removal, especially when being hit with crowd control. I also dispute your assertion that condition reaper is not useful (at least in the absence of scourge). The reaper also has access to boon rip and convert, which the holosmith doesn't. So stop acting like reaper has no advantages over holosmith, because that is not true at all.

> > >

> > > Reaper has no practical advantages over Holosmith. Holosmith is better in both teamfights and 1v1 than power reaper ever was and ever will be.

> > >

> > > The only reason Holosmith is "bad" is because it's heavily countered by scourge. Once scourge falls Holosmith will be meta.

> > >

> >

> > Reaper is better against any condi build except mesmers and possibly scourges. But either way, this means that reaper needs a buff, because holosmith is well balanced against most of the other common builds.

> >

> > That being said, my brother doesn't appear to have any real issues playing reaper, aside from scourges and spellbreakers.

>

> So basically reaper is better against condi builds, except for the condi builds that are actually meta.

>

>

I still see burn guardians fairly regularly, and if/when scourge gets nerfed, it may well give other condition builds a chance to enter the meta.

> @Ithilwen.1529 said:

> > @Falan.1839 said:

> > More Bronze League Wisdom from Ithilwen, no surprises there. The only semi-useful defensive Skill from Holosmith is Spectrum Shield, which reduces the Damage for 50% for a grandiose 3 seconds (30 sec cd, 15 sec when over the heal threshold). Which is so great, that barely anyone uses it. Also you can a relatively short lived regeneration when leaving Holo-Mode. The rest is the same old (subpar) core defense of Engi, mostly active Eli S, passive Eli S. I have no idea how you even get the idea that Holo takes no Damage for 30 seconds, the whole thought is ridiculous. Holosmith is FAR squishier than Scrapper, what makes it viable is the semi-decent burst and decent mobility/CC.

> >

> > I'm not even sure if your threads are serious or if you're actually just a very subtle troll.

>

> For the record. I'm in mid-gold. As to the rest, I don't agree.

You do realise facts aint something you can agree or disagree with right? At best a holosmith can have up to 8 seconds of not taking dmg, and thats by doing a double elixir S, meaning you need hit 25% hp! Heck, even if you took all block skills and added dodges, you still wouldnt have 30 secs of not taking dmg?

As one playing both holosmith and mesmer, I find holosmith quite easy to shot down, duo to very long winded and obvious animations on the forge mode! futhermore they have to trait, for the tiny amount of stability they can get.. its honestly just a matter of saving cc and defence skills for when they enter forge and then either shut it down or kite it

Edit: Also why in the world do you bring the ammunition system up, when discussing Holosmith? They dont have any ammunition skills? There is only a few on the core engineer, but that aint the same...

Funny how both the old engi players and the new-to-holosmith-because-oh-I-hate-toolkit-swapping-core-engi players are disappointed in Holosmith. The traits and skills feel like it came out of nowhere. It doesn’t fit well with other engi traits. And you can see the forge mode and its heat status from miles away. This is bad. You cannot see how much life force is left in reaper/scourge. But you can clearly see everything about the forge mode being activated and its heat status miles away.

> @Horan.7013 said:

> Funny how both the old engi players and the new-to-holosmith-because-oh-I-hate-toolkit-swapping-core-engi players are disappointed in Holosmith. The traits and skills feel like it came out of nowhere. It doesn’t fit well with other engi traits. And you can see the forge mode and its heat status from miles away. This is bad. You cannot see how much life force is left in reaper/scourge. But you can clearly see everything about the forge mode being activated and its heat status miles away.

Honestly, it's one of the most telegraphed new elite specs. Huge telegraphs, decent bursts... it's like a worse warrior.

> @Horan.7013 said:

> Funny how both the old engi players and the new-to-holosmith-because-oh-I-hate-toolkit-swapping-core-engi players are disappointed in Holosmith. The traits and skills feel like it came out of nowhere. It doesn’t fit well with other engi traits. And you can see the forge mode and its heat status from miles away. This is bad. You cannot see how much life force is left in reaper/scourge. But you can clearly see everything about the forge mode being activated and its heat status miles away.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush, I'm happy with having an instant classic, balanced, power damage build that Engineer has been lacking since launch. Engineer never had a use for quickness before, and now it's so nice. Rocket Boots was never ever as usable as it is now since you had an incomplete build if you used a utility slot for mobility before. Holo Leap works well with Invigorating Speed. Corona burst stability is smoother than elixir B projectile toss. You have the ability to carry hard in PvP if you become a monster at ambushing people with CC from stealth when they're most vulnerable. The lukewarm reception of Holosmith's perfectly functional build just really highlights how people gravitate towards what's easy. I appreciate Holosmith for the opportunity to do more than stall on Scrapper and maybe revive someone.

*Now, I'm seeing multiple Holosmiths per match.* They were invisible behind Scourge. With that moderated the OP Holosmith is beginning to rule the roost.

The spec has too much immunity and way too much front loaded damage. Yet another 100-0 build.

They can easily CC and kill me before they run out of immunity. That's just not defensible.