The Griffon Mount

Dennis.6952

Howdy...and a couple of questions.

I've been soloing the story line and the quest for the Griffon mount. I'm at the point where I have to enter the Library, kill 10 elites gather keys and open 10 chests.

Before starting this quest, I have a couple of questions.

1. Based on what I've seen, this event is instanced?

2. If so can a person who has not done any of the other griffon quests enter as a party member (to assist)?

3. My character is a trapper Ranger (ranged only LB w/ axe/WH). With the Mobs in PoF being rather relentless, how difficult is it to kill the "Elites" in this Library w/o getting swarmed by others? My character can do pretty well w/ a couple of higher level mobs or a few more lower level types. He pretty much has to use every thing he has offense-wise to get this done. So running to heal in PoF only seems to aggro more mobs.

4. If this is instanced, is there a "saved point" like other instanced events? If not, do you lose what keys you may have gotten if you die and get thrown out of the instance?

5. Respawn of mobs killed? Or as you kill them they are gone to cause no future trouble w/ completion?

I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and the one that seems to provided the best guidance had three in a party to complete. Also appeared that the helpers knew the location of the chests, which would help immensely.

Thanks for any input and advice. Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered in the past. I did a search and did not find the answers I was looking for, hence this thread.

Good luck on your journey! I'll tell you what I know.

The library quest is indeed instanced, but you can bring party members. I think they can enter even if they haven't completed previous griffon quests, but not entirely sure on this one.

The elites are very tanky, but not too dangerous. The regular mobs swarming around don't present any danger, they'll just die off and there's no need to worry about them. A very important tip though: stay away from the flying Fleshreaver (or something similar) elites. I don't know if they are bugged or not, but they spawn healing minions at an incredibly high rate and are next to impossible to kill. Better not waste time with them, plenty of other elites around to pick from.

The mobs around do respawn rather quickly, but as I mentioned they are not dangerous at all. I literally skipped everything but the elites.

As far as I know, there are 6 chests in the lower area and 4 in the highter level. It took some running around, but they weren't too hard to find.

If you die, you'll just respawn to the Desert Highlands portal in the library's center and can continue right away, and you won't lose your keys already obtained. Also, if you die against an elite, their health doesn't reset, so you can get right back to killing it.

Soloing the quest took me about 25 minutes, so don't worry about it. Once it's over, one last boss fight and you're done.

1. yes the event is instanced, once you finished the 5 open skies collections (1 for each map), you'll head to the tomb of primeval kings to go to this instance.

2. I believe this works in the manner of any other instance, so you should be able to, however I havent really tested this out yet.

3. You can immediately dive into the water to escape if you're having trouble, used that tactic myself a couple of times. The elites are soloable, but it takes a lot of effort. Don't know how ranger trapper plays so I can't offer specifics on how to deal with them.

4. There's no 'saved' point in the instance, but the keys stay in your inventory, even after you leave, so no progress is lost if you decide to come back to it another day.

5. All mobs, including elites, respawn. But this is actually a good thing because some elites have mechanics that are more difficult than others (one elite, which i never came across myself, could continuously heal itself apparently). So if you find an elite that's easier for you to kill than others, you can farm that elite for every key.

Pretty much the locations are: 6 of the keys are on the bottom floor near/behind pillars, 4 are on/near their respective staircases going upwards (generally speaking three are right on their staircases with the fourth being on the outer ring of the upper floor, so if you've looked everywhere else, run around, mobs are easily escapable via mounts and they also patrol, so if you find your chest near a mob, wait for them to move). There's ten total.

Thanks very much guys. I do appreciate the info going in. I always worry about grinding and then losing what I've gained. Apparently that is not the case w/ this.

I was going to take my time and pick my fights carefully. Kill as I go rather than just run around. Great to know each an elite yields a key regardless whether they were killed before.

I have a buddy I usually play with each Sunday night. If he can join me in the instance, it will make my going very much easier. He has not completed any of the griffon quest items, so hopefully he won't be prevented in joining.

BTW, I saw a Youtube video on the final boss fight at the Spearmaster site in Vabbi. Looks pretty wicked. Hopefully I can get it done solo

> @RoseofGilead.8907 said:

> The final boss fight really wasn't bad at all. You just need to pay attention and move out of the way (and also remember that the griffons are there to help you). ;)

I encountered a bug where the final foe was stuck in a depression and a particular skill kept failing due to missing Line of Sight. (Still, all I had to do was keep trying and eventually the NPC decided to move to where they could be hit and bob was my uncle. Erm, actually, Bob is my nephew's Uncle, but that's hardly relevant is it?)

Final fight is instanced and you can't have anyone else with you - that one you have to do solo. However it's easy. Most important thing to remember is every 25% loss in the boss' hit points, he will bring up a shield. Grab one of the griffons and use it's number 1 skill on his shield to break it. Good luck!

> @Dennis.6952 said:

> Howdy...and a couple of questions.

>

> I've been soloing the story line and the quest for the Griffon mount. I'm at the point where I have to enter the Library, kill 10 elites gather keys and open 10 chests.

>

> Before starting this quest, I have a couple of questions.

>

> 1. Based on what I've seen, this event is instanced?

> 2. If so can a person who has not done any of the other griffon quests enter as a party member (to assist)?

> 3. My character is a trapper Ranger (ranged only LB w/ axe/WH). With the Mobs in PoF being rather relentless, how difficult is it to kill the "Elites" in this Library w/o getting swarmed by others? My character can do pretty well w/ a couple of higher level mobs or a few more lower level types. He pretty much has to use every thing he has offense-wise to get this done. So running to heal in PoF only seems to aggro more mobs.

> 4. If this is instanced, is there a "saved point" like other instanced events? If not, do you lose what keys you may have gotten if you die and get thrown out of the instance?

> 5. Respawn of mobs killed? Or as you kill them they are gone to cause no future trouble w/ completion?

> I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and the one that seems to provided the best guidance had three in a party to complete. Also appeared that the helpers knew the location of the chests, which would help immensely.

> Thanks for any input and advice. Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered in the past. I did a search and did not find the answers I was looking for, hence this thread.

As a ranger, you'll find the library very easy. You can bring people in with you (but probably don't need to). Since youre not opposed to using guides, just open up the dulfy guide; and use it to chase down the ones you're missing. They're all numbered in your quest tracker. Congrats on your Griffon. The hard work is over. ;)

• 2 months later...

> @"Dennis.6952" said:

> I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and the one that seems to provided the best guidance had three in a party to complete. Also appeared that the helpers knew the location of the chests, which would help immensely.

As I recall one of the NPCs will/can put flags on your map showing where they all are, which makes it pretty simple.