Fishing in Guild Wars 2

Drake.1840

> @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> I will only accept fishing if these three things happen:

>

> 1. IT IS NOT AN AFK SPOT LIKE RUNESCAPE

> 2. You cannot get gold from it period

> 3. It is merely treated as an achievement or collectors avenue. Aka you can collect different fish of different rarities and once you collect them all, you get a nice achievement. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why not just make it an emote/animation that someone buy in the gem store?

/fish for 500 gems.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would at least want to cook with it... If it were only an achievement or collectors thing I doubt I could care enough. Are you worried about people spending day and night with it or the economy taking turns you wouldn't like? These fears shouldn't prevent new features to come into the game. Any potential abuse can and perhaps should be fought, but not to the extent to make something utterly meaningless.

> @"Enoah.1956" said:

> I would at least want to cook with it... If it were only an achievement or collectors thing I doubt I could care enough. Are you worried about people spending day and night with it or the economy taking turns you wouldn't like? These fears shouldn't prevent new features to come into the game. Any potential abuse can and perhaps should be fought, but not to the extent to make something utterly meaningless.

The problem is when Anet combats the potential exploitable issues, they end up breaking it further or making it useless.

If they do it like how I mention above, there is very little that break. If you really wanted to, they could have fish-themed skins for those that like to go weapon skin hunting.

They can do a lot with it without having to touch anything that is actually valuable within the core mechanics.

I'd be okay with fishing as an adventure if we get the sea dragon expansion, either a one-off like Bugs in the Branches or a map-by-map-with-variations like the mount races in PoF. I'd like to see the rewards include new food recipes using fish even if they didn't have new boon combinations, the possibility to catch live fish to place in the guild hall (does Windswept have a water feature?) and maybe a collection for getting one of each type, materials to craft fish trophies for the guild hall for those who like to decorate with dead things...possibly with a silly singing bass type decoration along with more serious ones, an underwater tonic to shapeshift into a random fish with costume brawl skills maybe with a speed boost for underwater travel, a sharkskin armor set, and a fishbone weapon set.

I don't think the necessary refits to existing maps would be a good use of development resources, though, so it would probably be xpack-only.

I'd see it happen as an adventure, mini-game. But in all honesty, how often do you do those after you got gold or gave up on it? Maybe for the daily? Maybe once or twice more for an achievement?

It's not that I wouldn't like it or that I don't see how it would fit in this or any other game. It's just that I'd ratherhave ANet invest time/money into something else. This goes not just for fishing but for all adventures. Ppl do them once or twice then never return. I don't have the numbers Anet has, and so I may be wrong about this...but I think 'I'm not, it's how it seems to me when I think about my own habbits and the way other people I know play the game.

Kind of depends how the fishing was implemented. It would need to be a mini-game and it would require something more than just watching to pull up a line. It would need to be worth its time as well in rewards. I could envision it having some nice tie-ins into chef crafting. Have to say though, last game that had interesting fishing was early on Fable, and that could be just looking back with tinted glasses.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> The necessity of fishing is one of the reasons I left WoW. It couldn't be a more boring way to occupy the player.

The more boring way is farming the same dungeons/events/silverwaste over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Besides, let's say fishing would be coming at one point, you don't need to do it. It's not like crafting in any shape is fun or interersting to begin with.

I would love it if fishing was put into the game.

When the game was released, one dev (contractor I think that was eventually let go) actually coded up fishing but they never put it into the game.

So right now, given all the changes sense they they may have to recode. Perhapes instead they would need to do small bits here and there. Aka an item that would last for only so long to allow fishing in an area. But why stop there? You could make it unique per "region".

Sand fishing in dry top.

Ice fishing in holbrak.

Explosive fishing in Metrica.

Standard fishing in DR.

That sort of thing. It would help to make fishing more unique for this game.

I think that fishing would pose a problem for scaling nearby events. You can scale up events, but you can't scale them back down. People who are nearby large events, just fishing, would cause the mobs to be worse than they have to be--even if they politely move and find a new spot to fish. That being said, fishing in cities wouldn't be too bad ~.^

Edit: I'd recommend that it be something entirely in of itself, i.e. an achievement to collect all of the fishes could be implemented, but not much else. Or else people would afk bot all day.

I can just see it now: A newbie fishing off the pier and the poor thing snags a minion of 'Bubbles'.

> @"Enoah.1956" said:

> I like the idea. There are all those adventures and minigames that people seem to play only once or twice to get mastery points or to finish achievements, then they never look back. Something like fishing would be better instead, to give you a change from all the battles without degenerating into meaninglessness. It could also be incorporated with other features. Like fishing from the back of your skimmer out on the wide sea or something like that. Depending on whatever they may do

>

> ***************AVERAGE LORE SPOILER********************

>

> with that so-called deep-sea dragon may increase the importance of activities on sea.

• 2 months later...

I love that idea of fishing off a Skimmer. Nice. I hope with upcoming LW4 or the next expansion that we will see fishing in game. If it was a level-able trade-skill, maybe they could give a chance of fishing up certain maps currencies, along with fish, when the skill is high enough.

The only game I've ever played that had fishing was Okami on my ps2, so I don't know how it's like in other games - however it was super fun trying to get all the different kinds of fish and the fact that depending on the fish you were trying to get it was rather challenging. If gw2 had something like that I would be very much on board with it. More thing for cooking from said fishing, more achievements and collections, and maybe even getting a fish pond in you home instance would be a interesting add as well.

> @"Embered.5089" said:

> I think that fishing would pose a problem for scaling nearby events. You can scale up events, but you can't scale them back down. People who are nearby large events, just fishing, would cause the mobs to be worse than they have to be--even if they politely move and find a new spot to fish. That being said, fishing in cities wouldn't be too bad ~.^

>

> Edit: I'd recommend that it be something entirely in of itself, i.e. an achievement to collect all of the fishes could be implemented, but not much else. Or else people would afk bot all day.

Some fair points. I only want to add that there are lots of ways to unintentionally scale up events. Having a fishing hole wouldnt be much different than the event being near a rich mining node (the one in the north west corner of brisban near the skritt comes to mind).

I'm in favor of fishing whether it is tied to another craft or not. Coming to GW2 during beta from WoW, I used fishing to help my cooking skill but like many also did the coin collection in Dalaran. I never got bored of the skill until MoP when there was little variety and so was an hours long skill grind. As others above have said, it doesnt need to include anything other than fish meat, vendor trash items, and cosmetic fishing poles and I think enough people will do it.

• 2 weeks later...

The GW2 developers have amazing talent in taking 'well worn' MMO principles (e.g. Mounts) and taking them to another level. Often they take these concepts beyond 'just an experience' to a realm of integrated and dynamic game transformation. Fishing is a small thing (I guess) but I think they would smash it out of the ball park. I hope they choose to introduce it.

I've never fished in a game so I can't comment on how much fun it would be but since i started playing MMO's a friend has tried to get me interested in his game. He showed me around Black Desert Online and as he rode passed a river there were 50 to 60 people all with fishing rods all crowded on top of each other. It looked really silly, it completly jarred you out of the fantasy and if fishing was so good why were they all afk.

> @"MattDu.7123" said:

> I've never fished in a game so I can't comment on how much fun it would be but since i started playing MMO's a friend has tried to get me interested in his game. He showed me around Black Desert Online and as he rode passed a river there were 50 to 60 people all with fishing rods all crowded on top of each other. It looked really silly, it completly jarred you out of the fantasy and if fishing was so good why were they all afk.

Can you just imagine the crying that would happen with all these AFKers? I can hear it now. "This person has been in my spot for days/weeks/months and I can't catch anything!"

• 11 months later...