How did you choose your main?

whoknocks.4935

I focused on what type of skills i enjoy using. Since i love versatility and utility i enjoyed guardians, eles, rangers and revenants. Classes such as thieves did not come to my mind.

Next i asked my self if i would ever want to go trough a crafting journey for a cool looking legendary weapon with my main, for my main. I liked eternity and howler so normally i went with guardian and ranger.

But in the end i went for revenant.

I had many mains.

I went norn guardian cause i loved the blue theme, the versatility of the class and the possibility of crafting legendary eternity with and for my main

Then i went ele cause i loved even more versatility, i loved all those elemental storms ,long range pulsing aoes and meteor showers

Then i went ranger cause i enjoyed thematical versatility (has all sorts of different utility and each weapon can be used in a different environment) , i enjoyed the pet collection , how i could RP as a explorer for T.E.S. before doing any story at all as well as the possibility to craft legendary howler.

In the end i mained a revenant.

It has lots of versatility and the traits make it so you get TONS of free stats such as critical hits, lots of condi duration and damage, damage mitigation, improved healing and boon duration.

It has a bunch of achievements tied to the class so i can get a full set, as well as some hidden cool weapon sets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I technically have 3 mains, cause I have a problem ;w;

But I guess my first/oldest character I chose Thief cause I had a love for assassin-type classes at the time, and as a Sylvari cause I LOVED the idea of a plant-like race instead of the traditional fantasy elves (and now I have 12 sylvari).

I rotate between this thief, now a Deadeye (I LOVE the whole sniper aesthetic), my Weaver (I just love how Weaver plays, it's so fun and fast paced) and my Mirage (basically a clone of my FFXIV main) because I always find stuff to do on those characters specifically.

I mostly PVP/do openworld/WvW in here, I'm not sure which character I'd pick for RP, of if I'd even do it in GW2 at all... @ -@

I have switched mains many times over the years, but I tend to do pros and cons list of the classes and see what I really want. Right now, for the first time ever, I'm trying to stick with mesmer. Although my longest mains (in order) were: Engineer -> Elementalist -> Thief -> Warrior -> Revenant -> Mes (only a few days so far, so we'll see. haha)

I mostly hop around between Ele, Rev, Thief these days. But I've been looking for something fun in open world, flexible with good support options, good mobility, and enjoyable in PvP/WvW roaming too. I narrowed it down to Ele or Mes, and since I never really got into Mes, and with so many story chapters to do now, I was hoping to try it out and see if it would stick. Otherwise, I'll be back on the Ele, Rev or Thief.

I just find Thief gets boring in PvE (open world), and Rev gets repetitive after a while with limited build customization. Which is why ele pulled ahead with mesmer, since they are more flexible and less repetitive in open world.

These days I play:

60% Open World/Story

30% PvP

10% WvW Roaming

• 2 weeks later...

It honestly took me years to come up with what, in my mind, was my perfect main: asura guardian. I am still working on doing all the stories and map completions on this character. (Took me 8 years of continuous changes and story scattered all over my ALTs and characters that aren't even there anymore.)

One of the main causes of my indecision has always been roleplay (not in game), that influence my preferences and decisions in GW2 as well, thus most of the time, my characters in game are representations of my roleplay characters. ^^

I've always loved ranged classes, so I chose Ranger to start out with. Stuck through it with the horrors of at launch Orr (where the pet grabbed aggro by existing) that had double the amount of mobs it has now, all of LS1, and up until HoT. Once I got in Heart of Thorns though...I was basically destroyed by enemies I wanted nothing to do with and ended up dropping it for a good long time for Thief/Daredevil, whose stealth and evasion helped me survive at launch HoT and LS3 and PoF. I recently got into raiding, and picked up my Ranger again who is now serving as a Druid and healer for my raid group, so I'm happy I'm playing him again. I still play my Daredevil for the story and open world stuff though.

When i first started playing my main was a human ranger, i chose it because i had the same name as my gw1 character. I liked to think it was his descendent. Then when heart of thorns came out i played a lot of Revenant.

Nowadays my human warrior is my main, it had a name that is similiar to my ranger.

I have always liked pets (for the flavor of variety and the idea of dual-tag-team) and sniper gameplay. Ranger was the natural extension after my like for the grew in GW1.

Thief is an evolution of assassin, also one of my favorite professions from GW1. I knew I wanted something different, and thief's gameplay is - particularly in pvp - unlike any other class. It looks and feels badass.

Having played Necro almost religiously in GW1, that's what I was most excited for, and VERY pleased when the early trailers showed off the Life Siphon ability. Though to be fair, what made certain I was getting GW2 was playable Charr.

However, during the initial missions -- and largely because of axe -- I suddenly felt that it just wasn't going to work out for me. At least, not in the way they'd implemented combat (I was not part of the betas, so it was entirely new to me).

Mesmer was the second option I'd poked at, but it didn't really "feel right" for me, either.

On a whim I picked Thief as the next thing that seemed interesting enough for a first character (despite really NOT liking Assassin in GW1), and instantly enjoyed the oddly frenetic playstyle of the initiative system. I've kept with the profession ever since.

(My other characters, in approximate order, are: a Warrior, a Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Necromancer (reaper), who surprisingly bears the name of the one I played in GW1)

> @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> Is it the first profession you made or trying different profession during your playtime made you switch your main?

The latter. I created a Necromancer, a Ranger and a Thief back in 2012, but my human Guardian has become my main character over the years. <3

The insane burst damage, the high self-sustain, the flexibility and the high mobility are the main reasons. Plus, he is so good looking! :lol: