Devs should add an over arching story for their maps.

> @"The Lard Maker.4175" said:

> Just created a character, i like levelling up following a story. While doing your characters main story is fine and dandy. Sometimes I want to get immersed in the maps I am levelling like knowing why am I fighting this faction and probably get to know more npcs and such.

>

> Wonder what other opinion you all have on this.

But... it's there ?

Talk to NPC, especially golden hearts and Scouts, sometime just normal NPCs will actually detail their situations and what's going in the map. It's actually very thorough with it, so that remark is highly surprising to me

There is an overarching story, or at least background info to what's happening and why, in each map, and often one which covers many different maps like the war between the humans and centaurs which covers most of Kryta. But it's not made as obvious as your personal story, the game will never force you to engage with it. Instead you discover it as you're going along by talking to scouts, heart quest NPCs and other named NPCs and by listening to the dialogue between NPCs before and after events.

It's also a good idea to wait around after an event ends, or follow the NPCs, becaue many of them chain together to form longer storylines.

It takes some getting used to if you're more familiar with games that give you traditional quests that are hard/impossible to miss that walk you through everything which is going on, but once you get the hang of talking and listening to people to get the info it's fairly easy to pick up on what's going on in each area and how the different groups feel about it.

(It's a good idea to pay attention to the ones in starter maps especially, because they will introduce you to each race's 'splinter group' like the human bandits or asuran inquest, who will come up a lot throughout the game.)

For Central Tyria maps...

A lot of the lore and reasoning is hidden in the random dialogue you'll hear surrounding events, from NPC's standing around in towns/camps and from heart vendors themselves.

Some things are more overt, such as the primary wars each faction is engaged in (Kryra vs Centaurs, Hoelbrak vs Sons of Svanir, Black Citadel vs ghosts of Ascalon, Rata Sum vs Inquest, The Grove vs Risen) as well as some secondary battles involving Bandits, Dredge, Flame Legion, Separatists, Nightmare Court, Destroyers...

While some of the nuanced stuff is more hidden away behind conversations and readable items and certain events.

Once you get to level 60 though, the story of the maps you enter is given to you directly as part of the personal story chapters, with them ultimately having multi-episode long arcs tying several maps together (For example, the three Orr maps, followed by the LW2 maps, then HoT maps, then LW3 maps etc)

The game already does this brilliantly - the core maps follow a very well laid out overarching story. In fact some regions are multi layered in this

Kryta - follows the Human/Centaur war almost to conclusion and touches on the war vs Zhaitan.

Maguuma - follows the Zhaitan story and also inquest incursions, whilst expanding on the Skritt and Sylvari backgrounds and Destroyer incusrions

Shiverpeaks - progresses the Jormag/Norn story in reverse as we see it become more dangerous the further North we go. The dredge story is also played out

Ascalon - possibly the most layered as it starts with the key Ghosts of Ascalon narrative and then moves into the Branded problems the Charr have faced, all the while dealing the Fire Legion war to its conclusion, the Ogre Wars to a major victory and expands on the Charr/Human treaty

Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

It's a clever design which is lacking in the later Living World releases which become far too narrow focussed and instead of flowing from map to map,maps are scattered around each release. They really need to get back to what made map storytelling so good early on and stop isolating their maps.

> @"The Lard Maker.4175" said:

> Just created a character, i like levelling up following a story. While doing your characters main story is fine and dandy. Sometimes I want to get immersed in the maps I am levelling like knowing why am I fighting this faction and probably get to know more npcs and such.

>

> Wonder what other opinion you all have on this.

It's probably already there, but some maps do a better job than others. My personal favorite map for this is the first map in Heart of Thorns: Verdant Brink.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

This brings to mind kigdoms of amalur. In that you get all the information from talking to people. It wouldn't have been so bad if you got it from different people but the person with the info would tell you all you need to know about it. Instead, you have to ask EVERYONE who has it in their dialogue list about the same thing and maybe they add some new information or just babble some random stuff. Example: They might add something to what someone else said, or they might say they don't know much about it but they do know that monsters aren't nice. Something like that. Game doesn't even have any books if i remember correctly, you just need to keep talking and talking.

Maybe not as bad but running into every NPC you see and waiting for them to say something isn't really clever. Not to mention standing there and waiting if they have some event that starts at some point. Only way to know for sure would be to go to the wiki, but at that point you might as well just look up all the information from there.

> @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

>

>

> This brings to mind kigdoms of amalur. In that you get all the information from talking to people. It wouldn't have been so bad if you got it from different people but the person with the info would tell you all you need to know about it. Instead, you have to ask EVERYONE who has it in their dialogue list about the same thing and maybe they add some new information or just babble some random stuff. Example: They might add something to what someone else said, or they might say they don't know much about it but they do know that monsters aren't nice. Something like that. Game doesn't even have any books if i remember correctly, you just need to keep talking and talking.

>

> Maybe not as bad but running into every NPC you see and waiting for them to say something isn't really clever. Not to mention standing there and waiting if they have some event that starts at some point. Only way to know for sure would be to go to the wiki, but at that point you might as well just look up all the information from there.

>

>

>

>

>

To be honest I quite like some aspects of that. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles recently and I go round talking to every single ambient NPC then again after every major event just to experience as much of the dfialogue and world building as possible. That for me is a big part of making something a so called "living world" (which most rpgs were doing long before GW2).

I haven't really done it as much in GW2 since PoF/ LS4ep2 as my engagement with the game has slowly worn away, but it's still something I consider quite key for storytelling purposes

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

> >

> >

> > This brings to mind kigdoms of amalur. In that you get all the information from talking to people. It wouldn't have been so bad if you got it from different people but the person with the info would tell you all you need to know about it. Instead, you have to ask EVERYONE who has it in their dialogue list about the same thing and maybe they add some new information or just babble some random stuff. Example: They might add something to what someone else said, or they might say they don't know much about it but they do know that monsters aren't nice. Something like that. Game doesn't even have any books if i remember correctly, you just need to keep talking and talking.

> >

> > Maybe not as bad but running into every NPC you see and waiting for them to say something isn't really clever. Not to mention standing there and waiting if they have some event that starts at some point. Only way to know for sure would be to go to the wiki, but at that point you might as well just look up all the information from there.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> To be honest I quite like some aspects of that. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles recently and I go round talking to every single ambient NPC then again after every major event just to experience as much of the dfialogue and world building as possible. That for me is a big part of making something a so called "living world" (which most rpgs were doing long before GW2).

>

> I haven't really done it as much in GW2 since PoF/ LS4ep2 as my engagement with the game has slowly worn away, but it's still something I consider quite key for storytelling purposes

>

>

Well then kingdoms of amalur: reconing is possibly a perfect game for you. I think there is a remastered version being made from it.

> @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

> > >

> > >

> > > This brings to mind kigdoms of amalur. In that you get all the information from talking to people. It wouldn't have been so bad if you got it from different people but the person with the info would tell you all you need to know about it. Instead, you have to ask EVERYONE who has it in their dialogue list about the same thing and maybe they add some new information or just babble some random stuff. Example: They might add something to what someone else said, or they might say they don't know much about it but they do know that monsters aren't nice. Something like that. Game doesn't even have any books if i remember correctly, you just need to keep talking and talking.

> > >

> > > Maybe not as bad but running into every NPC you see and waiting for them to say something isn't really clever. Not to mention standing there and waiting if they have some event that starts at some point. Only way to know for sure would be to go to the wiki, but at that point you might as well just look up all the information from there.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > To be honest I quite like some aspects of that. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles recently and I go round talking to every single ambient NPC then again after every major event just to experience as much of the dfialogue and world building as possible. That for me is a big part of making something a so called "living world" (which most rpgs were doing long before GW2).

> >

> > I haven't really done it as much in GW2 since PoF/ LS4ep2 as my engagement with the game has slowly worn away, but it's still something I consider quite key for storytelling purposes

> >

> >

>

> Well then kingdoms of amalur: reconing is possibly a perfect game for you. I think there is a remastered version being made from it.

Certainly sounds interesting (to me). I'll add it to my wishlist since my RPG playlist is bulging at the moment

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > Those are the main arching stories and they progress from map to map within a region, using ambient dialogue, events and hearts to explain the story in further detail, whilsty complimenting the main core story.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > This brings to mind kigdoms of amalur. In that you get all the information from talking to people. It wouldn't have been so bad if you got it from different people but the person with the info would tell you all you need to know about it. Instead, you have to ask EVERYONE who has it in their dialogue list about the same thing and maybe they add some new information or just babble some random stuff. Example: They might add something to what someone else said, or they might say they don't know much about it but they do know that monsters aren't nice. Something like that. Game doesn't even have any books if i remember correctly, you just need to keep talking and talking.

> > > >

> > > > Maybe not as bad but running into every NPC you see and waiting for them to say something isn't really clever. Not to mention standing there and waiting if they have some event that starts at some point. Only way to know for sure would be to go to the wiki, but at that point you might as well just look up all the information from there.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > To be honest I quite like some aspects of that. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles recently and I go round talking to every single ambient NPC then again after every major event just to experience as much of the dfialogue and world building as possible. That for me is a big part of making something a so called "living world" (which most rpgs were doing long before GW2).

> > >

> > > I haven't really done it as much in GW2 since PoF/ LS4ep2 as my engagement with the game has slowly worn away, but it's still something I consider quite key for storytelling purposes

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well then kingdoms of amalur: reconing is possibly a perfect game for you. I think there is a remastered version being made from it.

>

> Certainly sounds interesting (to me). I'll add it to my wishlist since my RPG playlist is bulging at the moment

Get the remaster. The original has fairly restrictive always online drm.