Move skills from Skill-bar

Chronos.7296

Hi everyone. It's been a VERY long time since I last played, ergo the question: **Can I move skills from my Skill-bar?** Ie, drag a skill icon from one slot in the skill bar and drop it in another slot (like in World of Warcraft).

Before, It was not possible, but since many years have passed, I ask again if it's still not possible or it has changed.

Depending of this, I might come back and play again. This was my personal main reason I stopped playing.

Thank you :)

> @"Chronos.7296" said:

> Before, It was not possible, but since many years have passed, I ask again if it's still not possible or it has changed.

>

> Depending of this, I might come back and play again. This was my personal main reason I stopped playing.

>

> Thank you :)

you still can't -- your weapon skills are fixed as 1 to 5 but you can rebind your 1 to 5 to change them.

your utilities (6~9) can be switched around and can rebind them on the keyboard as well

I always wondered why you can't do this too, since you can do it in a lot of other MMORPGs. I'm guessing one reason is GW2 was also designed as a competitive game so the devs wanted to make the UI and combat system the same for everyone as much as is possible. I personally don't think this would cause any problems and I think it would be a nice feature to have.

> @"Atomos.7593" said:

> I always wondered why you can't do this too, since you can do it in a lot of other MMORPGs. I'm guessing one reason is GW2 was also designed as a competitive game so the devs wanted to make the UI and combat system the same for everyone as much as is possible. I personally don't think this would cause any problems and I think it would be a nice feature to have.

i dont know if there was any official statement on why it's the way it is but i always thought it's because they went for action-tab hybrid leaning a bit close to action combat rather than go for a traditional tab target game where you had multiple hotbars and multiple skills.

and yeah i believe some few years ago they were trying to push gw2 spvp as an e-sport but it didnt go so well so there's that too: can't have multiple hotbars and lots of fiddling around on a fast paced ~ competitive game but you can atleast rebind on your keyboard. but yeah that e-sports thing never took off

> @"Atomos.7593" said:

> I always wondered why you can't do this too, since you can do it in a lot of other MMORPGs. I'm guessing one reason is GW2 was also designed as a competitive game so the devs wanted to make the UI and combat system the same for everyone as much as is possible. I personally don't think this would cause any problems and I think it would be a nice feature to have.

I don't know for sure but I suspect it has something to do with weapon skills being tied to the weapon and the way weapon swap (and other types of skill swap) work.

GW2 uses a modified version of the GW1 engine and in that game you could place skills wherever you wanted on your bar, but it created some weird effects if you did anything which changed your skills. For example if you start one of the Wintersday mini games which give you special snowball themed skills and rearrange those it would also affect your normal skills - when you leave the mini game your skills will be messed up - based on where you moved the snowball skills.

I don't know for sure but I suspect the same would have happened in GW2. Let's say you're using greatsword as one weapon set and sword/torch as a second set, if you swap greatsword skills 1 and 5 it would also move sword/torch skills 1 and 5...and the same would happen with any other skill sets, like engineer kits or transformations. If that's the case I imagine they weighed up the pros and cons of letting players place skills vs. being able to weapon swap and have the skills update automatically (which didn't happen in GW1 - you were stuck with the same bar even if you changed weapons) and have all these other different skill sets and decided the second option was better.

It is something I miss and would use if it was available, but I've gotten used to it. Moving my skills to a more comfortable layout (in my case putting them on the number pad) helped a lot, because it meant I wasn't trying to stretch across the number keys as much.

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > @"Atomos.7593" said:

> > I always wondered why you can't do this too, since you can do it in a lot of other MMORPGs. I'm guessing one reason is GW2 was also designed as a competitive game so the devs wanted to make the UI and combat system the same for everyone as much as is possible. I personally don't think this would cause any problems and I think it would be a nice feature to have.

>

> i dont know if there was any official statement on why it's the way it is but i always thought it's because they went for action-tab hybrid leaning a bit close to action combat rather than go for a traditional tab target game where you had multiple hotbars and multiple skills.

>

> and yeah i believe some few years ago they were trying to push gw2 spvp as an e-sport but it didnt go so well so there's that too: can't have multiple hotbars and lots of fiddling around on a fast paced ~ competitive game but you can atleast rebind on your keyboard. but yeah that e-sports thing never took off

Yeah I remember those days where the game was pushed hard in the e-sports scene, but ultimately failed. In MMORPGs, I usually like to re-configure my skill-bar to have the most damaging skills for 1, 2, 3 etc. and the cc/heal skills at the end, so not being able to do this when I first started playing GW2 was especially noticeable to me.

> @"Chronos.7296" said:

> Hi everyone. It's been a VERY long time since I last played, ergo the question: **Can I move skills from my Skill-bar?** Ie, drag a skill icon from one slot in the skill bar and drop it in another slot (like in World of Warcraft).

This is something I've always wanted to do, sadly this game makes you a prisoner of the UI.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Atomos.7593" said:

> > I always wondered why you can't do this too, since you can do it in a lot of other MMORPGs. I'm guessing one reason is GW2 was also designed as a competitive game so the devs wanted to make the UI and combat system the same for everyone as much as is possible. I personally don't think this would cause any problems and I think it would be a nice feature to have.

>

> I don't know for sure but I suspect it has something to do with weapon skills being tied to the weapon and the way weapon swap (and other types of skill swap) work.

>

> GW2 uses a modified version of the GW1 engine and in that game you could place skills wherever you wanted on your bar, but it created some weird effects if you did anything which changed your skills. For example if you start one of the Wintersday mini games which give you special snowball themed skills and rearrange those it would also affect your normal skills - when you leave the mini game your skills will be messed up - based on where you moved the snowball skills.

>

> I don't know for sure but I suspect the same would have happened in GW2. Let's say you're using greatsword as one weapon set and sword/torch as a second set, if you swap greatsword skills 1 and 5 it would also move sword/torch skills 1 and 5...and the same would happen with any other skill sets, like engineer kits or transformations. If that's the case I imagine they weighed up the pros and cons of letting players place skills vs. being able to weapon swap and have the skills update automatically (which didn't happen in GW1 - you were stuck with the same bar even if you changed weapons) and have all these other different skill sets and decided the second option was better.

>

> It is something I miss and would use if it was available, but I've gotten used to it. Moving my skills to a more comfortable layout (in my case putting them on the number pad) helped a lot, because it meant I wasn't trying to stretch across the number keys as much.

Interesting. The weapon swap and other special limited skills could indeed be a problem. I notice that sometimes in Dragonfall after using all the Dragonsblood spears I have available the skill still remains near the middle of my screen for me to press even though there are 0 spears left to use and using it then does nothing. Seems totally pointless to leave it remaining on the UI if you are unable to use it, so this may also be a symptom of this limitation.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Atomos.7593" said:

>

> I don't know for sure but I suspect it has something to do with weapon skills being tied to the weapon and the way weapon swap (and other types of skill swap) work.

>

> GW2 uses a modified version of the GW1 engine and in that game you could place skills wherever you wanted on your bar, but it created some weird effects if you did anything which changed your skills. For example if you start one of the Wintersday mini games which give you special snowball themed skills and rearrange those it would also affect your normal skills - when you leave the mini game your skills will be messed up - based on where you moved the snowball skills.

>

> I don't know for sure but I suspect the same would have happened in GW2. Let's say you're using greatsword as one weapon set and sword/torch as a second set, if you swap greatsword skills 1 and 5 it would also move sword/torch skills 1 and 5...and the same would happen with any other skill sets, like engineer kits or transformations. If that's the case I imagine they weighed up the pros and cons of letting players place skills vs. being able to weapon swap and have the skills update automatically (which didn't happen in GW1 - you were stuck with the same bar even if you changed weapons) and have all these other different skill sets and decided the second option was better.

>

> It is something I miss and would use if it was available, but I've gotten used to it. Moving my skills to a more comfortable layout (in my case putting them on the number pad) helped a lot, because it meant I wasn't trying to stretch across the number keys as much.

In addition to this, at release and for 1 or 2 years after, weapon skills would be locked until you had used the previous skills enough times to unlock the next weapon skill slot. It's easy to say "Well the skills should unlock from the bar only after you unlock all the weapon skills" but we have no idea what the coding for that is like, especially as the release designs/coding are likely to be close to hard coded, if not completely hardcoded, and require a lot of work to get around. If we only got dyable backpacks this year, I wouldn't hold my breathe for moving weapon skills around.

And I definitely second moving keybinds to what works for you, not sticking to the default keybinds. It does nothing for the visual aspect but it really helps your hand(s) and reaction times once you get used to the disconnect between what you see and what you push.

Also: Look into a keypad if this is an issue across multiple games.

> @"Chronos.7296" said:

> So, "**NO**" to my question. Too bad for me and my intention to come back and play. :(

> Tyvm to everyone for replying

What I have done with my mouse (as it has multiple buttons to bind each of the 1-10 skills to) Is re-map the buttons. I never use my mouse pointer to click a skill... That is probably the slowest way to navigate your skills.

By remapping then for my most common usage, it makes many things easier.

Your 7-9 skills can be re-adjusted and moved for what it is worth.