Buying PoF From an Ebay Reseller?

My wife wants to buy the expansion from Ebay so that she can use the pay after delivery feature. My assumption is any sellers that charge slightly more than the box price must be legit because they them selves are paying full price. Is there an employee tat could chime in on whether this practice is fine, technically this isn't selling an account. I figure prior to redeeming the key perhaps we could open a support ticket to make sure it's kosher? I figure worse case scenario we could use the ticket saying the key is no good in a claim with eBay for a fraudulent auction?

If you want a definitive answer from Anet then yes file a ticket. However, Ebay is not listed as an authorized Anet retailer so they may tell you the same things people are telling you here and that is to only purchase through an Anet authorized retailer or through Anet directly. With someone selling on Ebay you may run into the same problem people have had from buying keys that are not from Anet authorized retailers. That is, if the person on Ebay sells you a bad key or one purchased by fraudulent means and you use it your wife's account could get suspended. You may be able to get your money back via Ebay but you will still have to deal with a suspended account. Personally instead of going through all the trouble of support tickets and possible bad Ebay transactions I'd just buy it from Anet or an authorized retailer.

> @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

> My assumption is any sellers that charge slightly more than the box price must be legit because they them selves are paying full price.

That doesn't make sense. You go to eBay so you could pay more?

I would understand if none of the authorized stores are near you, but the fact that you can make an online purchase means you can as easily buy GW2 from ArenaNet.

It doesn't matter where you buy the key itself, the problem is in trusting the source of the key. If I buy a key from ArenaNet for example and sell it to you, I am still the one that owns that key from ArenaNet's perspective because I can prove that I purchased it and you can't. I could refund the key within 30 days, which will revert your account, or forcibly refund it within 90, which will close it. The worst case for you is that I forcibly refund it after you use it, which is considered fraud and will permanently close your account with little hope of recovering it due to their strict fraud policy. This is the huge risk in using a reseller, unless it's a sealed physical copy that you can verify. If the price isn't too low or high and the seller has good feedback, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're not looking for the EU-only physical box however, why ebay?

> @Healix.5819 said:

> It doesn't matter where you buy the key itself, the problem is in trusting the source of the key. If I buy a key from ArenaNet for example and sell it to you, I am still the one that owns that key from ArenaNet's perspective because I can prove that I purchased it and you can't. I could refund the key within 30 days, which will revert your account, or forcibly refund it within 90, which will close it. The worst case for you is that I forcibly refund it after you use it, which is considered fraud and will permanently close your account with little hope of recovering it due to their strict fraud policy. This is the huge risk in using a reseller, unless it's a sealed physical copy that you can verify. If the price isn't too low or high and the seller has good feedback, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're not looking for the EU-only physical box however, why ebay?

I get it, my wife has this annoying habit of buying everything with Pay After Delivery through Pay Pal, if ANet agreed to that she would probably buy it today; this of course leads to a problem where she can't actually buy anything after she gets paid.

Thus why she was planning on getting it through EBay, one of those instant gratification people/impulse buyers.

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

> > My assumption is any sellers that charge slightly more than the box price must be legit because they them selves are paying full price.

>

> That doesn't make sense. You go to eBay so you could pay more?

>

> I would understand if none of the authorized stores are near you, but the fact that you can make an online purchase means you can as easily buy GW2 from ArenaNet.

Because my wife spends money before she gets paid through Pay Pal's pay after delivery because she has an impulse spending issue, I assume this is the only way she's ever going to get it unless ANet does Pay After Delivery through Pay Pal which basically means she gets the key now then Pay Pal charges her 10 days later.

I'm old fashioned I buy things when money is in hand.

I honestly doubt Anet is going to green light an Ebay purchase because it isn't an authorized retailer and there are many complications that can arise as mentioned above. Again submit a ticket for an Anet answer. Of course tickets seem to be taking upwards of weeks for a response per forum feedback. Maybe you could buy it for her via an authorized retailer when you have cash in hand and have her pay you via Paypal later. :)

> > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

> > > My assumption is any sellers that charge slightly more than the box price must be legit because they them selves are paying full price.

> >

> > That doesn't make sense. You go to eBay so you could pay more?

> >

> > I would understand if none of the authorized stores are near you, but the fact that you can make an online purchase means you can as easily buy GW2 from ArenaNet.

>

> Because my wife spends money before she gets paid through Pay Pal's pay after delivery because she has an impulse spending issue, I assume this is the only way she's ever going to get it unless ANet does Pay After Delivery through Pay Pal which basically means she gets the key now then Pay Pal charges her 10 days later.

>

> I'm old fashioned I buy things when money is in hand.

Have you tried buying from ArenaNet? There's a PayPal option at checkout.

Never buy a serial coded game from ebay or any marketplace. The chances of an issue arising are always going to be pretty high.

No point sending in a ticket, Support will only green light anything from their authorised list and highly advise against buying from anyone else. Plus Support are fairly queued up at the moment with tickets.

The whole point of authorized dealers is that Anet has dotted i's and crossed t's with the dealers so that they are repercussions if said dealers tries to scam buyers be it by inflated prices, false offers, bad keys, etc. When it comes to Ebay, well, they aren't an authorized dealer because it's not Ebay itself selling the product but rather than individual seller on that site. Thus, Ebay will honor it's own Terms and Conditions an punish the bad seller if the product was fraudulent, but Anet would care if the sale went south as you bought outside of their dealers that they have contracts with.

It'd be like me buying a Car on Craigslist and then going to a local dealer to complain about how the engine is shot.

> @savacli.8172 said:

> The whole point of authorized dealers is that Anet has dotted i's and crossed t's with the dealers so that they are repercussions if said dealers tries to scam buyers be it by inflated prices, false offers, bad keys, etc. When it comes to Ebay, well, they aren't an authorized dealer because it's not Ebay itself selling the product but rather than individual seller on that site. Thus, Ebay will honor it's own Terms and Conditions an punish the bad seller if the product was fraudulent, but Anet would care if the sale went south as you bought outside of their dealers that they have contracts with.

>

> It'd be like me buying a Car on Craigslist and then going to a local dealer to complain about how the engine is shot.

That only works if the dealership repos your car because you bought it on Craigs list with out a clean title.

> > @savacli.8172 said:

> > The whole point of authorized dealers is that Anet has dotted i's and crossed t's with the dealers so that they are repercussions if said dealers tries to scam buyers be it by inflated prices, false offers, bad keys, etc. When it comes to Ebay, well, they aren't an authorized dealer because it's not Ebay itself selling the product but rather than individual seller on that site. Thus, Ebay will honor it's own Terms and Conditions an punish the bad seller if the product was fraudulent, but Anet would care if the sale went south as you bought outside of their dealers that they have contracts with.

> >

> > It'd be like me buying a Car on Craigslist and then going to a local dealer to complain about how the engine is shot.

>

> That only works if the dealership repos your car because you bought it on Craigs list with out a clean title.

Which is the point @"savacli.8172" is trying to make: you can't get a "clean title" from eBay, because it's not an authorized retailer.

ANet's super clear about this in all their communication: buy from an authorized dealer; they can't be responsible if you don't, not for any part of your account.