Please reduce ranked PvP rank req to 15

Morvran.8265

So right now new players must first reach rank 20 in PvP before they can queue for ranked. The Steam release is fast approaching, and I think this requirement should be reduced to 15. Here's why.

Rank 15 should take the average new player about 20 hours of grind as is.

Rank 20 is more like 35-40 hours of nonstop PvP grind. I think that's way too big of a barrier of entry for a new player interested in competitive.

Yes, you may say that new players have no place in ranked and you are right. A barrier _should_ exist. But let's be honest, if they were to go up against someone out of their league who has 1k or so hours in the game, it wouldn't matter if they had 20 hours of experience or 40. In terms of player skill the difference between rank 15 and 20 is meaningless.

It's the division system's job to sort players into the appropriate division anyway. More people in ranked -> lower Q times and better matchmaking -> happy new players.

I firmly believe that they'd have a better experience in ranked than in unranked, and the fact that they have to put about **2 days of gametime** into PvP alone before they can enter ranked is daunting. I'd like to see this game grow with the Steam launch, and I think this small change could benefit everyone.

**TL;DR** rank 20 is an unnecessarily big barrier of entry, 15 might be more reasonable.

> @"Morvran.8265" said:

> So right now new players must first reach rank 20 in PvP before they can queue for ranked. The Steam release is fast approaching, and I think this requirement should be reduced to 15. Here's why.

>

> Rank 15 should take the average new player about 20 hours of grind as is.

>

> Rank 20 is more like 35-40 hours of nonstop PvP grind. I think that's way too big of a barrier of entry for a new player interested in competitive.

>

> Yes, you may say that new players have no place in ranked and you are right. A barrier _should_ exist. But let's be honest, if they were to go up against someone out of their league who has 1k or so hours in the game, it wouldn't matter if they had 20 hours of experience or 40. In terms of player skill the difference between rank 15 and 20 is meaningless.

>

> It's the division system's job to sort players into the appropriate division anyway. More people in ranked -> lower Q times and better matchmaking -> happy new players.

>

> I firmly believe that they'd have a better experience in ranked than in unranked, and the fact that they have to put about **2 days of gametime** into PvP alone before they can enter ranked is daunting. I'd like to see this game grow with the Steam launch, and I think this small change could benefit everyone.

>

> **TL;DR** rank 20 is an unnecessarily big barrier of entry, 15 might be more reasonable.

its to force cheaters away mate, and honestly its fine IMO.

I had no issues "grinding" my rank 20, they should take that time to learn what pvp is about, and not send bunch of newbs that dont even know maps into the wild and have them quit the game cuz gold burn guard "1shot" them with their endless burning.

> @"Leonidrex.5649" said:

> > @"Morvran.8265" said:

> > So right now new players must first reach rank 20 in PvP before they can queue for ranked. The Steam release is fast approaching, and I think this requirement should be reduced to 15. Here's why.

> >

> > Rank 15 should take the average new player about 20 hours of grind as is.

> >

> > Rank 20 is more like 35-40 hours of nonstop PvP grind. I think that's way too big of a barrier of entry for a new player interested in competitive.

> >

> > Yes, you may say that new players have no place in ranked and you are right. A barrier _should_ exist. But let's be honest, if they were to go up against someone out of their league who has 1k or so hours in the game, it wouldn't matter if they had 20 hours of experience or 40. In terms of player skill the difference between rank 15 and 20 is meaningless.

> >

> > It's the division system's job to sort players into the appropriate division anyway. More people in ranked -> lower Q times and better matchmaking -> happy new players.

> >

> > I firmly believe that they'd have a better experience in ranked than in unranked, and the fact that they have to put about **2 days of gametime** into PvP alone before they can enter ranked is daunting. I'd like to see this game grow with the Steam launch, and I think this small change could benefit everyone.

> >

> > **TL;DR** rank 20 is an unnecessarily big barrier of entry, 15 might be more reasonable.

>

> its to force cheaters away mate, and honestly its fine IMO.

> I had no issues "grinding" my rank 20, they should take that time to learn what pvp is about, and not send bunch of newbs that dont even know maps into the wild and have them quit the game cuz gold burn guard "1shot" them with their endless burning.

As I've said - rank 15 or 20, literally makes no difference in terms of skill. If you get oneshot by something at 15 you will get oneshot by it at 20.

If you want people to have a clue about PvP, let them do ranked.. they won't know before that, because they can't track their skill level. Not even at rank 100.

And nothing's stopping them from going back to unranked if they want.

I'm not buying the cheater/bot arguement. For bots that grind 24/7 for months, 24 hours make no difference. For real players it does, especially new ones.

15 may be as good as 20, I don't know about that. I'm just a starter myself- just shy of rank 14. But that's only taken 26 matches. Maybe it slows down as I continue up the ranks, but hitting rank 15 is hardly 20 hours of grind. More like 5. Even if getting to 20 is another 5, that's hardly an impediment. It'll take most people longer to get through Core Tyria story mode. It's only a grind if the matches are boring, but my experience so far is they're fun, so I'm not in need of any faster progression.

I hate the idea of baseline rank requirements for entering ranked. I’d rather they just reduce it to just calibration matches, sort of a placement before your first placement. A more rigorous placement system will prevent ppl from automatically starting their rating at global average which is what it is rn. Even new players after rank 20 are ezily at average which is annoying but tldr- getting rank 20 sucks, I’d rather do ranked right away

> @"RedAvenged.5217" said:

> I hate the idea of baseline rank requirements for entering ranked. I’d rather they just reduce it to just calibration matches, sort of a placement before your first placement. A more rigorous placement system will prevent ppl from automatically starting their rating at global average which is what it is rn. Even new players after rank 20 are ezily at average which is annoying but tldr- getting rank 20 sucks, I’d rather do ranked right away

its required, its not only made so new players wont troll ranked. but more so to force hackers to "waste" time after they get banned, and discourage people from making alt accounts.

leveling one acc to 20 is nonissue as @"QuirkyDM.2351" said. when you start first thing you worry about is having fun and not tryharding, and thats fine.

But it stops ME from making new acc to play on, and thats a good thing.

Another thread trying to tie the $team release with their own wishes?

I would have taken you more serious without that tie in.

Since both ranked and unranked are practically the same clown show, I don't see a reason to have **any** barrier.

Ranked hasn't been a competitive mode for at least five years.

> @"Morvran.8265" said:

> So right now new players must first reach rank 20 in PvP before they can queue for ranked. The Steam release is fast approaching, and I think this requirement should be reduced to 15. Here's why.

>

> Rank 15 should take the average new player about 20 hours of grind as is.

>

> Rank 20 is more like 35-40 hours of nonstop PvP grind. I think that's way too big of a barrier of entry for a new player interested in competitive.

>

> Yes, you may say that new players have no place in ranked and you are right. A barrier _should_ exist. But let's be honest, if they were to go up against someone out of their league who has 1k or so hours in the game, it wouldn't matter if they had 20 hours of experience or 40. In terms of player skill the difference between rank 15 and 20 is meaningless.

>

> It's the division system's job to sort players into the appropriate division anyway. More people in ranked -> lower Q times and better matchmaking -> happy new players.

>

> I firmly believe that they'd have a better experience in ranked than in unranked, and the fact that they have to put about **2 days of gametime** into PvP alone before they can enter ranked is daunting. I'd like to see this game grow with the Steam launch, and I think this small change could benefit everyone.

>

> **TL;DR** rank 20 is an unnecessarily big barrier of entry, 15 might be more reasonable.

never, the entrance rank need to be increased to 40 or even to 80 to prevent the cicle of infinite bots/trols in ftp acounts

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> To be honest, I believe that the estimated time the OP is giving is grossly exaggerated.

Very. If you go on [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Rank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Rank) you can see that it takes ~54k rank points to get to level 20.

At 1.5k per win, 500 per loss(1k average) doing back to back Unranked games to get **rank 20** would only take **~13.5 hours** maybe more, maybe less. Assuming most games last about 10 minutes and the players spend 5 more in queue.

Getting **Rank 15** would take about **~11.5 hours.**

So you're looking at a **~2 hour-ish difference**. If its true that you earn even more in custom arenas, maybe even less. Nowhere close to 40 or even 30 hours.

Overall kind of a trifling issue if you ask me. Plus like @"Leonidrex.5649" was saying it's 13.5 hours that potential cheaters, bots, and alters can't play Ranked with you. As small and trivial as that is, it is at least _something_ to keep them in check.

That dev-time would be much better spent fixing some of Ranked's problems that are likely to make the majority of those new steam peoples quit shortly after unlocking it regardless of how long it takes them to do so.

They should reduce it and starter just should start with 900 rating and do placements, no one would care if most of them land in bronze or silver because that's normal in games with ranked, make ranked open for lvl 10, filling up the queues would fill up my heart and maybe we get even matches one Day