Ideas what to do with essences of luck

ezd.6359

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @ezd.6359 said:

> > > I believe most if not all old players have maximum account magic find.

> > I wouldn't assume that's true.

>

> GW2Efficiency actually has account stats for [luck](https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.luck) but I couldnt manage to read it properly or find out how much of those users maxed out on luck.

>

The luck listed at GW2/E seems to refer to the actual items, not the amounts consumed account-wide. We can see this because the "median" amount for players with 4000+ hours is 150 luck, that is half of the vets with the most playtime have only 150 luck (even if that's 150 legendary luck, based on the icon chosen, that's still an unrealistically low number; even my alt account that barely salvages has more consumed).

We can be sure that those with maxed MF will have a lot of luck items, but we can't assume know whether those with less than 10k are max or far below and just lazy about consuming luck.

tl;dr GW2/E isn't tracking account-wide MF, just the account bound essences of luck themselves.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Wanze.8410 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @ezd.6359 said:

> > > > I believe most if not all old players have maximum account magic find.

> > > I wouldn't assume that's true.

> >

> > GW2Efficiency actually has account stats for [luck](https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.luck) but I couldnt manage to read it properly or find out how much of those users maxed out on luck.

> >

>

> The luck listed at GW2/E seems to refer to the actual items, not the amounts consumed account-wide. We can see this because the "median" amount for players with 4000+ hours is 150 luck, that is half of the vets with the most playtime have only 150 luck (even if that's 150 legendary luck, based on the icon chosen, that's still an unrealistically low number; even my alt account that barely salvages has more consumed).

>

> We can be sure that those with maxed MF will have a lot of luck items, but we can't assume know whether those with less than 10k are max or far below and just lazy about consuming luck.

>

> tl;dr GW2/E isn't tracking account-wide MF, just the account bound essences of luck themselves.

Not necessarily lazy. You need them to buy lanterns, crafting certain items, guild upgrades and maybe other stuff so there are reasons for keeping them around beyond "my luck is maxed out".

> > @Wanze.8410 said:

> > > > @ezd.6359 said:

> > > > I believe most if not all old players have maximum account magic find.

> > > I wouldn't assume that's true.

> >

> > GW2Efficiency actually has account stats for [luck](https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.luck) but I couldnt manage to read it properly or find out how much of those users maxed out on luck.

> >

>

> The luck listed at GW2/E seems to refer to the actual items, not the amounts consumed account-wide. We can see this because the "median" amount for players with 4000+ hours is 150 luck, that is half of the vets with the most playtime have only 150 luck (even if that's 150 legendary luck, based on the icon chosen, that's still an unrealistically low number; even my alt account that barely salvages has more consumed).

>

> We can be sure that those with maxed MF will have a lot of luck items, but we can't assume know whether those with less than 10k are max or far below and just lazy about consuming luck.

>

> tl;dr GW2/E isn't tracking account-wide MF, just the account bound essences of luck themselves.

I think its just estimating based on either the lowest possible value or highest because of how much luck it takes to get capped at 4295450. My guess is lowest but i could be wrong as stated that graph is less than readable.

@"TexZero.7910" Do you see any way that the median for luck is 150 or even 150*500 for players with 4000+ hours? That would mean half of all high-playtime vets almost never consume any luck.

I'd prefer it to be measuring account wide luck or MF, because that would be more useful. So I'd be grateful for an explanation of the median that would allow that to be true.

PS I'm looking at the API and I haven't (yet) found something that tracks MF or account-spend of luck. Without an API for it, I don't see how GW2/E could estimate account MF or luck. Again, I hope I'm just missing something, because that would be more interesting to me than how much luck some people have stored up.

> @"TexZero.7910" Do you see any way that the median for luck is 150 or even 150*500 for players with 4000+ hours? That would mean half of all high-playtime vets almost never consume any luck.

>

> I'd prefer it to be measuring account wide luck or MF, because that would be more useful. So I'd be grateful for an explanation of the median that would allow that to be true.

>

> PS I'm looking at the API and I haven't (yet) found something that tracks MF or account-spend of luck. Without an API for it, I don't see how GW2/E could estimate account MF or luck. Again, I hope I'm just missing something, because that would be more interesting to me than how much luck some people have stored up.

It's entirely possible for that to be the case, i'd wager that we have half the population that we did before the luck change.

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" Do you see any way that the median for luck is 150 or even 150*500 for players with 4000+ hours? That would mean half of all high-playtime vets almost never consume any luck.

> >

> > I'd prefer it to be measuring account wide luck or MF, because that would be more useful. So I'd be grateful for an explanation of the median that would allow that to be true.

> >

> > PS I'm looking at the API and I haven't (yet) found something that tracks MF or account-spend of luck. Without an API for it, I don't see how GW2/E could estimate account MF or luck. Again, I hope I'm just missing something, because that would be more interesting to me than how much luck some people have stored up.

>

> It's entirely possible for that to be the case, i'd wager that we have half the population that we did before the luck change.

We might be talking at cross purposes.

GW2/E shows that the median amount of luck is 150 for those with 4000+ hours of gameplay. GW2/E was established long after luck was introduced. So any registered users with 4000+ hours are very unlikely to have played so little they have only spent 150 (or even 150*500) luck. I'm sure you're right that concurrent players is way down and it's probably the case that more than half of those who played pre-luck aren't playing today. But that wouldn't affect the GW2/E stats for this particular case, which is why I chose it to illustrate the issue.

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > @"TexZero.7910" Do you see any way that the median for luck is 150 or even 150*500 for players with 4000+ hours? That would mean half of all high-playtime vets almost never consume any luck.

> > >

> > > I'd prefer it to be measuring account wide luck or MF, because that would be more useful. So I'd be grateful for an explanation of the median that would allow that to be true.

> > >

> > > PS I'm looking at the API and I haven't (yet) found something that tracks MF or account-spend of luck. Without an API for it, I don't see how GW2/E could estimate account MF or luck. Again, I hope I'm just missing something, because that would be more interesting to me than how much luck some people have stored up.

> >

> > It's entirely possible for that to be the case, i'd wager that we have half the population that we did before the luck change.

>

> We might be talking at cross purposes.

> GW2/E shows that the median amount of luck is 150 for those with 4000+ hours of gameplay. GW2/E was established long after luck was introduced. So any registered users with 4000+ hours are very unlikely to have played so little they have only spent 150 (or even 150*500) luck. I'm sure you're right that concurrent players is way down and it's probably the case that more than half of those who played pre-luck aren't playing today. But that wouldn't affect the GW2/E stats for this particular case, which is why I chose it to illustrate the issue.

I mean, there's plenty of people who just delete it because they don't think it's useful or anything of the sort. While i get that the numbers are wonky they do seem to support the case that there could be a lot more perceived anomalies than people think due to their own perception of status quo.

We're definitely speaking at cross purposes.

* The OP used as part of their argument that "most if not all veterans have maxed MF"

* Others have offered anecdotal evidence that isn't the case

* Someone suggested that GW2/E might be a good way to determine what fraction of the population already has 300% MF from luck.

* I'm arguing that the evidence suggests that GW2/E only tracks the amount of essences stored on the account, which isn't a good proxy for determining that.

Thus we (as players) cannot determine what fraction of multi-year or 4k-hour veterans have maxed or haven't maxed MF.

> The thing that people always miss is that ANet intended from the start that luck-based MF should be entirely optional. If there's any sort of substantive reward after maxing luck, it puts pressure on people to farm luck, which makes it feel compulsory. It's worse if you can spend the luck _before_ maxing, because then you have to choose to opt out of the MF.

>

> A reasonable compromise in my opinion would be guild-related sinks. This gives people a chance to help out a guild without a lot of sacrifice or 'sell' to guilds on the grey market. It's also not something so valuable or important than people are going to grind out to max luck.

Perhaps the guild could buy favor with luck. The luck cost of favor could be really high so it still encourages guilds to do missions but doesn't entirely bar smaller/less active guilds from upgrades.

Playing since a month after launch, have never quit for any significant amount of time (I've slowed down here and there and occasionally stopped for a couple weeks at a time at most), only have 204% magic find. I'm hardly a super-hardcore player, but neither am I super casual either. The idea that all veteran players have maxed luck is ridiculous.

I'm against anything that involves unique benefits for luck. Maxing luck is a huge grind, putting unique rewards at the end of it just creates a problem of making people feel forced to do that grind rather than just raising their luck naturally as they play the game. Best solution in my eyes would be to just increase the cap.

I haven't maxed out my luck yet either (currently somewhere around 230-240% iirc), but for probably 6 months or so I saved all the luck I acquired and refined it into exotic essence. Had a LOT saved up, and used all of it for guild upgrades and lanterns.

I don't really think luck needs to have some new tradeable use, for the reasons others have described. Also, consider that luck *is* currently tradeable in a randomized state through the trading post, with greens and blues. That's actually how I acquired a bunch of luck a while back when I was trying to finish a specific guild upgrade and was just 30 or 40 exotic essences away from completion. Salvaging ectos yields way more luck, though, and you'll usually get a good portion of your gold back in dust. I think introducing it as a directly-tradeable item on the TP would be a bad idea.

However, I do think it would be awesome if there were other account bound (or guild-bound, perhaps?) uses for luck. Maybe more decorations, outside of the lanterns? I'm not sure, really, but I think it would be great if we had some additional uses for it.

> @ezd.6359 said:

> I believe most if not all old players have maximum account magic find. Is not it time to add possibilities to spend essences of luck?

>

I've got 19,000 hours under my belt, still only at 210%

As for your ideas, the only one I'm feeling is the one where you convert them into MF boosters. Perhaps not stop there, but also allow to convert to XP, Gold Find and Karma boosters too?

> Thus we (as players) cannot determine what fraction of multi-year or 4k-hour veterans have maxed or haven't maxed MF.

I agree, im just saying GW2E may not be as far off base with the numbers it has than people think due to misconceptions like the OP made thinking most vets have it maxed by now.

> @Electro.4173 said:

> Playing since a month after launch, have never quit for any significant amount of time (I've slowed down here and there and occasionally stopped for a couple weeks at a time at most), only have 204% magic find. I'm hardly a super-hardcore player, but neither am I super casual either. The idea that all veteran players have maxed luck is ridiculous.

>

> I'm against anything that involves unique benefits for luck. Maxing luck is a huge grind, putting unique rewards at the end of it just creates a problem of making people feel forced to do that grind rather than just raising their luck naturally as they play the game. Best solution in my eyes would be to just increase the cap.

Fact is that through some items, the luck maxed was an extra.

The year they put trick or treat bags and for the first time Oontz's Necklaces, buying them in order to make money was not a bad idea.

I happened to make only 20/30g more ( and other stuff ofc ), but also from 80 mf to 200, then with pof release an unidentified items i managed to cap from 220 to 300 in 4/5 hours ( and make 500/600g profit ) during the first 2 days.

This just for say that it's not only a veteran related thing to have capped luck.

Just to put some parameters down of what Anet definately wont do for additional luck sinks:

The fractal dev made some interested comments regarding new sinks for fractal relics a month or so ago, that illustrates their design philosophy for overabundant account bound currencies and materials.

You can basically forget hoping for a new sink that will enable you to turn your huge oversupply into gold because it would retroactively reward players, that already have a more efficient method of getting valuable loot (high mf), for farming and hoarding in the past. If you could turn it into other tradeable materials or items, the huge influx of unused EoL would basically destroy any material market and reward plenty of veterans with a lump sum of gold.

The best you can hope for is a luck eater that will be limited in daily consumption and wont reward you more than a couple of silver per day. And the limited amout of luck it will eat, will probably barely cover the daily luck that players, who maxed out on MF will earn every day with their playstyle, so it wont be an adequate sink for the EoL you are already hoarding.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @flog.3485 said:

> > Excessive extra amount of luck for mystic coins ? Something like 12 000 luck for 1 mystic coin through the mystic forge ?

>

> Nice idea.

Basically it would work like that: you refine luck for a stack of 500. You exchange 6 stack of 500 for a gobbler of luck with Myani. And you place four gobblers, a stacking item, into the mystic forge.

Another solution would be to simply exchange a stack of 250 luck for 1 spirit shard.

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> Just to put some parameters down of what Anet definately wont do for additional luck sinks:

>

> The fractal dev made some interested comments regarding new sinks for fractal relics a month or so ago, that illustrates their design philosophy for overabundant account bound currencies and materials.

>

> You can basically forget hoping for a new sink that will enable you to turn your huge oversupply into gold because it would retroactively reward players, that already have a more efficient method of getting valuable loot (high mf), for farming and hoarding in the past. If you could turn it into other tradeable materials or items, the huge influx of unused EoL would basically destroy any material market and reward plenty of veterans with a lump sum of gold.

>

> The best you can hope for is a luck eater that will be limited in daily consumption and wont reward you more than a couple of silver per day. And the limited amout of luck it will eat, will probably barely cover the daily luck that players, who maxed out on MF will earn every day with their playstyle, so it wont be an adequate sink for the EoL you are already hoarding.

Allow people to use the exotic EoL to craft MF enrichments with similar recipes to infusions, gold sink through TP and catalyst purchase too.