Mastery-related annoyances never cease

The Boz.2038

This is amazing. It is utterly mindboggling to me how this is the system that has been left in the game untouched for half a decade.

So. You're done with the easy masteries. You're left scraping mastery points in the rare achievements and collections every now and then. And some things, like Advanced Logistics (8MP), are more important than others (Revered Antiquarian, 1MP). So you grind out the XP for Advanced Logistics, but don't have the MPs for it, and you click on another mastery to not let the XP go to waste (as they're not transmuted into shards, because the game dislikes you, because the entire system is designed to make you feel like baby cat). And then your chat is disabled. Forever. Always. Every time you get any sliver of XP anywhere, or load any map, or log into any character, your chat is annoyingly covered with a USELESS PROMPT TO SPEND A MASTERY POINT THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY SAVING UP FOR ANOTHER MASTERY! AND YOU CAN'T CLICK THE FOCUS AWAY, BECAUSE YOU'VE ALREADY COMPLETED ALL THE OTHER MASTERIES (the one other, eh).

Relevant picture: https://imgur.com/a/V5Ax8Vb

How was this playtested? Was it, at all?

> @"The Boz.2038" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Does it go if you fully disable all tooltips and helps in the settings?

>

> Where hides this option?

Now I could have sworn this option existed somewhere in this game, but for the life of me I can't find it, Maybe I am mistaken or it only appears when "help" messages are up and doesn't actually effect what you need it to

Sorry, guess I can't help with this one

> @"The Boz.2038" said:

> How was this playtested? Was it, at all?

It looks as if it was devised for one particular path through the game, not the "play as you want" paths.

You can try a support ticket although someone reported (in the old forums IIRC) that one ANet support person wrote that even the staff was annoyed by the "logic" of it.

You can also try the Players helping players forum section in case someone found a way to adjust the mastery system to their gameplay.

> @"The Boz.2038" said:

> So you grind out the XP for Advanced Logistics, but don't have the MPs for it, and you click on another mastery to not let the XP go to waste (as they're not transmuted into shards, because the game dislikes you, because the entire system is designed to make you feel like baby cat).

I agree that the repeated pop-ups are annoying, but at least this point with the wasted XP isn't a problem anymore. This was fixed about a year ago, the normal XP-bar is just hidden in the background. It sould be more visible, but at least it works.

> @"Schimmi.6872" said:

> > @"The Boz.2038" said:

> > So you grind out the XP for Advanced Logistics, but don't have the MPs for it, and you click on another mastery to not let the XP go to waste (as they're not transmuted into shards, because the game dislikes you, because the entire system is designed to make you feel like baby cat).

>

> I agree that the repeated pop-ups are annoying, but at least this point with the wasted XP isn't a problem anymore. This was fixed about a year ago, the normal XP-bar is just hidden in the background. It sould be more visible, but at least it works.

How sure are you of this? Cause AFAIK, this only happens if you have no more masteries to work forward to in the area. If your currently selected mastery is full, XP is just wasted.

> @"The Boz.2038" said:

> > @"Schimmi.6872" said:

> > > @"The Boz.2038" said:

> > > So you grind out the XP for Advanced Logistics, but don't have the MPs for it, and you click on another mastery to not let the XP go to waste (as they're not transmuted into shards, because the game dislikes you, because the entire system is designed to make you feel like baby cat).

> >

> > I agree that the repeated pop-ups are annoying, but at least this point with the wasted XP isn't a problem anymore. This was fixed about a year ago, the normal XP-bar is just hidden in the background. It sould be more visible, but at least it works.

>

> How sure are you of this? Cause AFAIK, this only happens if you have no more masteries to work forward to in the area. If your currently selected mastery is full, XP is just wasted.

Just tested it last week when the same question(s) appeared because of the new mastery. So I'm very sure.

Here the patchnotes from Jan 14 - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2020-01-14#General_2

@"Schimmi.6872" I just want to make sure that I understand how this works then, because last night the same thing happened to me, re: the pop-ups.

In my case though, I only have 13 Masteries, with 1 Point earned towards the Advanced Logistics path, the last path in that section. While doing Map Completion in Mount Maelstrom, the experience bar filled & that message started its pop-up routine. I couldn't apply it to my current path, although I need 7 more points to complete that Advanced Logistics path. So I clicked into the next section, chose the first path in there & boom! the experience bar emptied & no more pop-ups.

Are you saying that, had I just ignored / clicked away those pop-ups, gone on to another higher level map, that I could have applied that experience gain to my Advanced Logistics path?

> @"Stelawrat.6589" said:

> @"Schimmi.6872" I just want to make sure that I understand how this works then, because last night the same thing happened to me, re: the pop-ups.

>

> In my case though, I only have 13 Masteries, with 1 Point earned towards the Advanced Logistics path, the last path in that section. While doing Map Completion in Mount Maelstrom, the experience bar filled & that message started its pop-up routine. I couldn't apply it to my current path, although I need 7 more points to complete that Advanced Logistics path. So I clicked into the next section, chose the first path in there & boom! the experience bar emptied & no more pop-ups.

>

> Are you saying that, had I just ignored / clicked away those pop-ups, gone on to another higher level map, that I could have applied that experience gain to my Advanced Logistics path?

No. If you have completed the experience-gathering for an interim mastery on a given path, you can only advance to the next experience-gathering phase in that line by spending the point(s) needed to complete the mastery to which the filled experience bar applies. You can (as you saw) change to a different mastery line and gather experience in it, but eventually you will run out of mastery lines until you gather the necessary mastery point(s) to complete one.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Stelawrat.6589" said:

> > @"Schimmi.6872" I just want to make sure that I understand how this works then, because last night the same thing happened to me, re: the pop-ups.

> >

> > In my case though, I only have 13 Masteries, with 1 Point earned towards the Advanced Logistics path, the last path in that section. While doing Map Completion in Mount Maelstrom, the experience bar filled & that message started its pop-up routine. I couldn't apply it to my current path, although I need 7 more points to complete that Advanced Logistics path. So I clicked into the next section, chose the first path in there & boom! the experience bar emptied & no more pop-ups.

> >

> > Are you saying that, had I just ignored / clicked away those pop-ups, gone on to another higher level map, that I could have applied that experience gain to my Advanced Logistics path?

>

> No. If you have completed the experience-gathering for an interim mastery on a given path, you can only advance to the next experience-gathering phase in that line by spending the point(s) needed to complete the mastery to which the filled experience bar applies. You can (as you saw) change to a different mastery line and gather experience in it, but eventually you will run out of mastery lines until you gather the necessary mastery point(s) to complete one.

Thank you Indigo!

I tried for the longest time last night, to get to the MP in the MM volcano area & finally gave up 12:30AM. I know the Wiki is fantastic for tips / tricks etc. & just now checked & sure enough, there is a ton of information, including tips to reach these Points' locations. I'm one of those players who likes to discover things on my own, if at all possible, so I haven't looked at the tips yet.

But I may have to concede for this one!! :/