Returning player from long absence looking to start fresh

I haven't played GW2 since the release of HoT's and am looking to get back into the game with a fresh start. Previously played a Warrior, looking to level a new character and am currently looking at Revenant and Ranger. Both seem like good solo'ing characters, which is what I usually end up doing, just looking for any input the more veteran players could give me that I may not know about the classes.

There is no best profession for soloing as it comes down to personal preference most of the time.

The general recommendation is to try a couple professions you are interested in, and see if the playstyle suits you. Once you find one you are enjoying, go through the leveling process with it to explore how the profession works.

If you provide more details as to what you want to do in game (PvP, WvW, PvE OW, PvE Instanced) I am sure you will get some specific recommendations from players preferred professions.

One aspect to keep in mind is that leveling a character is very different to playing a level 80. The weapons/skills, utilities, and traits can be very different, expecially as you won't have enough hero points to unlock the elite masteries.

There are quite a few leveling videos on YouTube, as well as videos of people using their level 80. The comments on YouTube videos can be very helpful, particularly when people are asking about why certain weapons/traits are used.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> One aspect to keep in mind is that leveling a character is very different to playing a level 80. The weapons/skills, utilities, and traits can be very different, expecially as you won't have enough hero points to unlock the elite masteries.

>

> There are quite a few leveling videos on YouTube, as well as videos of people using their level 80. The comments on YouTube videos can be very helpful, particularly when people are asking about why certain weapons/traits are used.

I can definitely attest to this.

I recently hit level 80 on my main and made the journey into Verdant Brink to unlock Gliding. The fighting and metas etc are much more intense (or should I say insane?!). Luckily, Verdant Brink is a popular area and this game has a really helpful community so although I was in over my head, I had a good time and was able to contribute toward the metas at least a bit (when the big dragon boss started blasting us I did die at least twice - a lot of people died it looked like - but it was awesome to see it die in the end and get a huge chunk of XP).

I have both a Herald and Renegade. In a lot of respects, I enjoy playing the Renegade more than the Herald. Of course, I'm running power alacrigade on her with full marauders armor and diviners weapons and trinkets. It's astonishing what 100% uptime on alacrity can do for a fight! The key thing about Rev is managing your power and rotating skills and legends to maintain your upkeeps and your damage. Open world I end up just camping Kalla 90% of the time and really only bothering with shiro when I'm actually in a fight that lasts for more than a few seconds. On the renegade I run sword/sword and shortbow, but I have both a staff and hammer handy - staff is a healing weapon as well as a massive CC on staff 5. I used to run sword/axe and I used mace/axe while leveling. It took a while to convince me to move to sword/sword, but it was well worth giving up axe off-hand.

Both of my rangers are druid and I haven't played with soul beast since the preview weekend before PoF dropped. I'm not happy with where druid is at compared to where it's been, but, PvE, you're good to go. I've considered switching one, at least one, of them back to core ranger, but I just don't have the desire to futz with ranger at the moment. I have a friend that mains a soul beast and he's, if you'll forgive the pun, a beast on it.

When it comes to classes it comes down to your personal preferred play style. When I started I thought I was going to enjoy Thief.... I was wrong I was horrible at it. What I am saying is give all the classes a chance. Its best to make them now so you can start accruing your birthday rewards and you will be able to secure the names that you want.

I ended up playing Guard for 2k hours after thief. Now I main Necro and just about put in 2k hours there. I still have all the other classes geared out and ready to go if one day I decide to change it up. You will want options just in case you get bored some day.

Since you are fairly new I leave you this advice take your time learn the UI and the game. Remember its is a marathon not a sprint.

Good Luck!