Initial rating to jump on ranked matches

anjo.6143

It is clear that atm the conquest experience is a fiasco, so 2 toughts:

1) People with pvp rank 20 it is faaar from prepared for ranked matches.

2) Low conquest population makes those folks being at high lvl ranked matches facing 8+ years players, ruining both experiences.

Do you have any solutions? Like increase the min lvl to jump on ranked, prevent people from different badge playing at same match, tuto/matches against bots so new people can learn the basic conquest/maps mechanics?

> @"anjo.6143" said:

> Do you have any solutions?

Give PvP guilds a reason to exist again, for example introduce a separate(!) full team queue in ranked.. Just one of many ideas.. Unranked and occasional ATs are just not sufficient or enough.

By having guilds dedicated to PvP newer players can get into small communities where they can get "training". Because no matter how much you play sPvP (aka increase required rank or whatever) you will never figure out how to kite effectively, use LoS to your advantage, rotate in such a way that it fits with your team comp, etc etc..

Being mechanically skilled is only one part of the equation, I've lost countless matches because 1 guy effectively turned the game into a 5v4v1 by forcing some stupid strategies. I think this would also help a lot with those l2p issues. Currently there's not really any instance where you can go to and ask/learn how to deal against a certain build for example other than 1v1 arenas if you are lucky and happen to find someone who's willing to practice with you.

I've seen so many Q_Q threads and chat messages ingame that are just l2p issues, people complaining about a spec being too strong against them when actually THEY are supposed to be counters to what they are complaining about for example.. I was in a PvP guild (somewhat recently) but left it really quickly after the guild leader blamed and insulted me for not helping him against a bunker and losing the match because he just kept on going into an unwinnable matchup. And I think the guild doesn't exist anymore either. It was a plat2+ guild btw. (Quick tip: don't engage in bunkers, especially if they are built to facetank especially your kind of build, it creates a 5v4 on the other 2 nodes in your favor so just stick with the rest of the map and leave them alone.. punish it if they leave the node but don't waste time)

So yea.. As long as we don't have any incentive for PvP guilds to form again (we had them in the past btw, lots of them..) or rather incentives to join one if you are not really involved into sPvP to begin with, I don't really see how sPvP should recover. Also population wise.. why should I get my friends to join sPvP if I can't even play with them? Or stay involved myself if I can't play with guys I know and am forced to rely on pugs? To me that's really the core issue.

There should be a hard separation between which divisions can even queue together.

Something like this:

* Bronze & Silver can queue with and against each other

* Gold queues with and against only Golds, as this encompasses the largest bulk of the population

* Plat & Legend division queue with and against each other

Wait times become as long as they need to be.

> @"Asuran.5469" said:

> There should be a hard separation between which divisions can even queue together.

>

> Something like this:

>

> * Bronze & Silver can queue with and against each other

> * Gold queues with and against only Golds, as this encompasses the largest bulk of the population

> * Plat & Legend division queue with and against each other

>

> Wait times become as long as they need to be.

There used to be similar separation. You had to wait 1,5 hours for queue as legend (at least it was my record) and back then population was bigger. I was ok with it, many hated it so it was changed. Don't get me wrong, i am not fan of silver vs plat matches but no matter how you change matchmaking it will never be ideal because of the simple reason: pvp population is really small.

Reality is, this will get worse. Surely, Xpac will add some life into pvp but the game is old, they are not going to invest a lot of resources into pvp. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Those who still play are just funeral guests.

> @"Cynz.9437" said:

> Reality is (...) the game is old

I never understood that kind of mentality. It's a mmo after all, not a call of duty with a 1 year life cycle. WoW is almost 18 years old and still going strong. Content and population wise.

I know I know, everybody's mind after reading that is probably "U CAN'T COMPARE F2P/B2P MMO WITH SUB".. sure I can.. not only are some f2p games generating a lot more cash (why do you think most online games nowadays went or are directly released as f2p in the first place?) than WoW but I'd argue that if a game studio can't sustain its games then it either needs to shift the business model/something about generating cash in general or just shut it down..

A lot of game studios are developing some cash grab mobile shit and compensate their relatively low revenue from other projects via that.. Diablo Immortal, Fallout Shelter, The Elder Scrolls: Blades, Call of Duty Mobile, Black Desert Online Mobile, ... "basically every major ip atm" mobile, .. just to name a few. Either as a direct mobile port or some form of spinoff garbage with the franchise tagged onto it so people are interested. I'm genuinely surprised it took Riot so long to push LoL to mobile.

Not all are complete garbage tho, I've heared that CoD mobile is actually enjoyable since they don't push a new game every year but actually maintain the one game.

Bring new players and make something to keep them playing

Anything apart from that is band-aid fix

Today, if I were a Dev

I'd forget everything and focus and banning all those bots, something that actually can be done, aparently doesn't take a whole team to do and doesn't require hours and hours of work. To me it's clear as day all those accounts sitting in 600-700 matches are bots.

"oh, but if you make to gold 3 you won't fight bots"

yeah, but this guy can also download another pvp game and play like its intended from start and play with bots only if he's willing to.

Make AT every 1.5 hour and actually promote it by adding a pop up with AT prizes like 10 min before enroll, or make league locked ATs where you have your AT mmr, so you can't alt account troll lower ATs for too long.

> @"DoomNexus.5324" said:

> > @"Cynz.9437" said:

> > Reality is (...) the game is old

> I never understood that kind of mentality. It's a mmo after all, not a call of duty with a 1 year life cycle. WoW is almost 18 years old and still going strong. Content and population wise.

> I know I know, everybody's mind after reading that is probably "U CAN'T COMPARE F2P/B2P MMO WITH SUB".. sure I can.. not only are some f2p games generating a lot more cash (why do you think most online games nowadays went or are directly released as f2p in the first place?) than WoW but I'd argue that if a game studio can't sustain its games then it either needs to shift the business model/something about generating cash in general or just shut it down..

> A lot of game studios are developing some cash grab mobile kitten and compensate their relatively low revenue from other projects via that.. Diablo Immortal, Fallout Shelter, The Elder Scrolls: Blades, Call of Duty Mobile, Black Desert Online Mobile, ... "basically every major ip atm" mobile, .. just to name a few. Either as a direct mobile port or some form of spinoff garbage with the franchise tagged onto it so people are interested. I'm genuinely surprised it took Riot so long to push LoL to mobile.

>

> Not all are complete garbage tho, I've heared that CoD mobile is actually enjoyable since they don't push a new game every year but actually maintain the one game.

Well i knew a lot of good players (many won tourneys), my friend list today is dead. Even those that would stick to this game for long time have left it. Things that should have been added to pvp since launch were introduced way too late. PvP community at launch was HUGE. it died due to 0 changes for really long time and then got even smaller after pvp was turned into p2w.

Why would someone get GW2 now? Not to mention to even pvp? There are plenty of newer, prettier, nicer games out there. Maybe they don't have great pvp but pvp was always a niche anyway. This game still doesn't have player vs AI mode to teach new players. They go in, try things out, get murdered by next p2W meta build and leave it. I raid a lot atm and this is the feedback i get from my guildmates. You won't be getting people like this in pvp.

The only reason why i personally got back to GW2 is because i got tired of LoL/OW and missed GW2 combat. I missed to run around as shiney teef and backstab people. Thing is, i am a veteran player, i know how to play this game, i have plenty of things that i don't need to grind. I generally don't face issues that new players do. Every time i get on my alt account to mess a bit on core build i realize HOW powercreeped this game became (and it still blows my mind that they actually nerfed core thief build, how can someone be so.... ah i am out of pc words here). It is really this bad. Why would someone invest a lot of money into an old game just to pvp?

Mobile GW2? Sure. The money will be invested into some pve content anyway.

> @"Cynz.9437" said:

> Thing is, i am a veteran player, i know how to play this game, i have plenty of things that i don't need to grind. I generally don't face issues that new players do. Every time i get on my alt account to mess a bit on core build i realize HOW powercreeped this game became

Really? I also have an alt account where I have purely PvP'd so far, I actually made it so I was able to queue with some friends who just got into guild wars 2.. I was comfortably sitting in plat 2 at the moment and didn't want to ruin my rating on it so yea.. created a new account to queue with them.. Unfortunately with only one at a time obviously so everytime they were online at the same time I had to sit in discord, doing something else on my main or do Unranked.. Still don't like the lack of full team queue or basically any reason why communities/guilds should form within pvp.

But I'm starting to get my first char to Lv 80 (obv. without HoT/PoF since no char could've unlocked any of it) and I don't feel underpowered or anything tbh. I'm also playing teef because I like thief in open world the most. So how comes you realize how powercreeped the game is now? I mean.. obviously it actually is but I don't feel a big difference when swapping from my main to alt account other than the better equip aka higher stats (which is a thing, even when downscaled).

Btw, I hopped into Guild Wars 1 yesterday and to my surprise there were STILL GvG going on where I could even spectate! Mind blown.. (and yet GW2 requires you to be Anet partner to spectate.. what a kitten)

There were several GvG taking place at the time I logged in and one guild was even rank idk.. 240 or something.. Sooooo.. at least this many guilds are actively fighting GvGs apparently? Really mind boggling imho.. Feels like Guild Wars 1 still has a bigger PvP community than GW2 lmao.. On the other hand GW1 also offers sufficient PvP content and enough incentives to actually engage with one another.. even tho there haven't been any changes for years (other than slight skill changes veeeery occasionally)

I don't know why I'm so surprised by this tbh, maybe because some of the other game modes are practically dead.. But even for them I knew that there are still some communities which regularly schedule queueing up.

> @"DoomNexus.5324" said:

> > @"Cynz.9437" said:

> > Thing is, i am a veteran player, i know how to play this game, i have plenty of things that i don't need to grind. I generally don't face issues that new players do. Every time i get on my alt account to mess a bit on core build i realize HOW powercreeped this game became

>

> Really? I also have an alt account where I have purely PvP'd so far, I actually made it so I was able to queue with some friends who just got into guild wars 2.. I was comfortably sitting in plat 2 at the moment and didn't want to ruin my rating on it so yea.. created a new account to queue with them.. Unfortunately with only one at a time obviously so everytime they were online at the same time I had to sit in discord, doing something else on my main or do Unranked.. Still don't like the lack of full team queue or basically any reason why communities/guilds should form within pvp.

> But I'm starting to get my first char to Lv 80 (obv. without HoT/PoF since no char could've unlocked any of it) and I don't feel underpowered or anything tbh. I'm also playing teef because I like thief in open world the most. So how comes you realize how powercreeped the game is now? I mean.. obviously it actually is but I don't feel a big difference when swapping from my main to alt account other than the better equip aka higher stats (which is a thing, even when downscaled).

>

> Btw, I hopped into Guild Wars 1 yesterday and to my surprise there were STILL GvG going on where I could even spectate! Mind blown.. (and yet GW2 requires you to be Anet partner to spectate.. what a kitten)

> There were several GvG taking place at the time I logged in and one guild was even rank idk.. 240 or something.. Sooooo.. at least this many guilds are actively fighting GvGs apparently? Really mind boggling imho.. Feels like Guild Wars 1 still has a bigger PvP community than GW2 lmao.. On the other hand GW1 also offers sufficient PvP content and enough incentives to actually engage with one another.. even tho there haven't been any changes for years (other than slight skill changes veeeery occasionally)

> I don't know why I'm so surprised by this tbh, maybe because some of the other game modes are practically dead.. But even for them I knew that there are still some communities which regularly schedule queueing up.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

> @"Asuran.5469" said:

> There should be a hard separation between which divisions can even queue together.

>

> Something like this:

>

> * Bronze & Silver can queue with and against each other

> * Gold queues with and against only Golds, as this encompasses the largest bulk of the population

> * Plat & Legend division queue with and against each other

>

> Wait times become as long as they need to be.

I agree with this. I also think duo queue should be removed, it's the only reason the top players are at the top. Otherwise most of them would just be somewhere in the 250, I've seen plenty of players outclass popular top 20 streamers.