WvW seasons and leaderboards

CrimeMaker.8612

I personally dislike Server links, I am all for the idea of literally just blow up all the servers and start new ones but there is one really good use that could be made of server links to bring that "old school competitiveness" back to WvW.

Every 2 months there are server links. Arena Net why haven't you thought of starting a WvW season every 2 months with the new links?

*Since past 6 months or so, new rewards were introduced to WvW via reward tracks, pip system, legendary backpiece and now also being able to get legendary armor from WvW as well. Good changes!

*Now when it comes to balance I am not expecting the WvW dev team to do anything about it because since it isn't their job and I don't want this post to be about balance.

~The one thing WvW currently lacks is competitiveness. There are some guilds that still exist who like to be competitive but most players just do not care because there is nothing for them to work towards or move up on like leaderboards.

~Previous WvW seasons were purely about PPT and which server comes first and back in the day when it came to winning seasons it was all just down to coverage. Whichever server had the most coverage that server will win. Players and guild pulled a lot of time during those seasons PPTing and trying to win which lead them to burn out and quit. Also with glicko system the tiers were always locked hence no server moving up or down.

-Server links its a game of shuffle which literally allows different servers to move up a tier or go down depending on how good or bad the links are.

-The 1up and 1down system allows even more shuffling servers allowing tier locks to breaks.

-Now if Arena Net introduces seasons with the server linking; basically new link = start of the new season. I think it will have positive effect on competitive side of WvW.

-There are not going to be tier locks = fighting different server each week = higher chance of winning rather than always loosing = people can still pull over time depending on the score and tier without having to burn themselves off.

-Seasons having new rewards and other things which will allow new players to enter WvW and possibilities of servers getting new commanders which most WvW servers do lack in the current state of the game.

+Leaderboards

*You cant make WvW competitive by just introducing seasons; you also need leaderboards.

*Have different kind of leaderboards because there are different styles to play WvW

-Leaderboard that keep tracks servers weekly wins and loses.

-Leaderboard that keep tracks of which server had the most weekly kills and season total.

-Leaderboard that keep tracks which server captured most camps/towers/keeps/ or which server upgraded other servers camps/towers/keeps the most.

Etc

Now the main thing I wanted to talk about.

**Guild vs Guild**

*We play a game called Guild wars 2, **Guild Wars** .. Arena Net so why not make it a thing with seasons..??

*Old players and new competitive players will definitely come into WvW.

*^Same goes for old and new guilds.

*GvG is one thing that hooked me to this game and it could be one amazing thing in this game if taken in the right direction with the right attitude.

*Arena Net has always denied the scene and always wanted it to die out or not be a thing at all but **GIVE GvG SCENE A CHANCE AT LEAST!**

-Introduce seasons with new links.

-Add a GvG leaderboards.

-Turn Obsidian Sanctum into instanced based map aka mega server Obsidian Sanctum.

-Make a website or place where guilds can sign up to take part in GvG. Arena Net this part can literally be done by GvG community. There are still players who would strongly you support and make a system for you where guilds can sign up and to keep track of guild Win / Loss ratio all you have to do is give us leaderboards.

-GvG scene is small right now but there are people who cast them! all we need is the tools! Give us the tools!

!Give us megaserver Obsidian Sanctum and GvG leaderboards!

MAKE WvW MORE COMPETITIVE PLEASE!.

> @CrimeMaker.8612 said:

> > @Freydinand.1073 said:

> > Gw2 is casual game.

>

> Please define PvP seasons. Please define WvW season that took place previously. Please define the massive GvG scene this game had. Please define amazing combat system this game has.

PvP Seasons are still casual gaming tbf... I hardly play spvp, and I stayed in platinum (Second Highest division) for the entire season until I decided to stop doing it and decayed all the way to bronze.

The WvW Seasons was Arena Net trying to make their casual semi-open world pvp look competitive, and it failed miserably for the lack of population balance. No wonder they were completely scratched.

The "massive GvG scene" that is now dead was made by players, lived by the players, and died by the players. If a small crowd (Yes, the GvG'ers are a very small crowd compared to the whole of GW2 players) created their own game mode and called it competitive, it still don't change that the actual game is casual.

The combat system of this game is becomming even more dumbed down with each passing day... Unless you are running some glass cannon build you'll be locked in a extremely long (and usually boring) fight due all the passive sustain currently in the game.

GW2 is a casual game. You like it or not.

> @CrimeMaker.8612 said:

> Please define amazing combat system this game **has.**

**cough** had **cough**

As for the seasons, I've pitched my idea a few times before for one day tournaments starting from reset, running for the duration of the link to create a season. It would help lessen burn outs and keep scoring competitive each week, as it only takes place at reset for a day which is the biggest day for every server, rest of the week is regular wvw. It doesn't completely balance it out as certain servers still have good off hours coverage, but it's as close as you're going to get, and there's still the opportunity for overtime play as it's only one day and falls into the weekend.

Heavy rewards don't need to be tied to winning either as most of your rewards now come from skirmish rewards, this would be more of battle for pride. Of course you can offer unique rewards for the seasons, especially if you're going to use leader boards to keep track of stuff, much like say Diablo3 season rewards which uses leader boards and achievements to build up the reward tree for that season, a title, or a mini pet, or glider or back pack skins, etc.

As for GvG's, that's been dead for a while now, many of the the players scattered to other games and barely playing this one anymore. They probably would think the current combat system is a joke too. So not sure how much work Anet should put into this now, a leader board can easily be done by players in any case. The only thing that Anet really needs to do is make Obsidian Sanctum mega servered, basically hook it up to eotm instead of wvw, the arenas they have offered through guildhalls are garbage through two expansions.

ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

>

> As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

It declined after the season was over when there weren't any more rewards to be gained. But if they did a new season every linking there would be no downtime at all and with the new rewards system they wouldn't need to do much. Maybe just bonus tickets for winning.

> @Arimas.3492 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> >

> > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

>

> It declined after the season was over when there weren't any more rewards to be gained. But if they did a new season every linking there would be no downtime at all and with the new rewards system they wouldn't need to do much. Maybe just bonus tickets for winning.

it PERMANENTLY declined after the tournament was over. Rewards for winning equals rewards for stacking which is what hurt WvW.

Don't make me dig out the dev quote on tournaments.

Lets go, tournament hype. The strong shall prevail, the weak shall qq about past tournaments.

Youre bad at this game if you dont enjoy competitive spirit! So your opinion doesnt matter! Its not even that long of a period and even your ex-WvW, now PvE guilds can become active in WvW again ;)

Theres really no reason to not have a tournament if they just fix the transferring to winning server thingy.

Honestly people are talking bandwagon... With Arena Net putting servers to FULL pretty fast now and rarely opening them.. even if there is bandwagon it will only be to the linked servers. There are some linked servers which are Very high and close to being Full, there are High servers close to being Very high. The tournament leaderboards will actually bring more players to WvW not only to the Host servers but also to the linked servers. So i dont think bandwagon would be that big of an issue. People are bringing up these past issues are preventing anything fun to happen in WvW. Honestly learn from the past FIX THE ISSUES and bring the seasons back...

People are also saying that GvG scene is dead.. My guild literally had GvG at least 2 times since the past month we started raiding hell 1 week we had 4 GvGs... 1 GvG each night and we rally 4 nights. GvG scene just needs a boost to be honest. The biggest boost is Obsidian Sanctum going megaserver mode and Secondary boost is GvG leaderboards. Arena Net i know you arent going to fix Guild hall arenas and not even bother making them bigger... WHY NOT JUST GIVE US OBSIDIAN SANCTUM MEGASERVER???????

> @LetoII.3782 said:

> It makes me chuckle to think there's been people on BG alllll this time, bored out of their skulls, waiting for that next tournament.

>

> It's coming guys, hold fast!

Lol. Though it's amazing how the ques pop so high with new WvW rewards etc. given the large PvE population, it wouldn't shock me if 5 maps were qued for a tourney that offered a new shiny. (Yes, OS would be qued too lol)

Right now, between the new PvE content and some other factors, a lot of the consistent guilds aren't running. It's mainly the people from each guild running around mostly headless.

Kinda fun actually. There will be one tag for the four maps that hops some.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

>

> As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> >

> > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

>

> Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

I’m not arguing that wvw and “stuff” doesn’t need work, but nothing in the OP’s list does anything to address the core issues that players complained about pre, during and post tournaments...

You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > >

> > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> >

> > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

>

> Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

>

> I’m not arguing that wvw and “stuff” doesn’t need work, but nothing in the OP’s list does anything to address the core issues that players complained about pre, during and post tournaments...

>

> You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

>

> When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

>

>

>

>

you forgot the period between the last tournament and linking, rewards and skirmish... there was even a considerable time between the last tournament and first expansion... Then we got that new abomination content called DBL and the rest is history

I do not know why people are being so negative about the idea of having tournaments again.. Hey maybe this time it will be fun with relinks, maybe less bandwagoning.. Also someone mention why would i want another tournament in this this garbage condi meta.. well do you have better idea or something to bring new players and old players back to WvW? I dont see the reason why there wont be players in WvW with constant running tournament with every link and 1up 1down system... Also with bringing better leaderboards.. Just think about it..

People are talking about how the server that will always will have better rewards and will create more bandwagon... Well who says have weekly rewards??? Have end of the tournament reward.. Also put the limit on how long you have to be part of the specific link to get any reward. The current Relinks are every 2month so basically 8 weeks; the limit could be 5 or 6 weeks.