Meeting player in open world . Are you happy?

moony.5780

I started the game to play in groups, but then quickly switched to doing everything alone because group work in gw2 makes no sense or even complicates some things. Except raids and fractals. Although I myself have done t4 fractals as a challenge alone successfully.

I enjoy e.g. fractals with friends but with randoms it is not so pleasant nowadays.

I have even made the experience that many treat the game as a single player.

Therefore, I usually do not even notice when someone runs by and at big events I have the person display on lowest settings.

Too many choices and none really matching. For me personally, I believe that it depends a lot on player's mood, objectives, needs and external boundary conditions (including real life obligations that will determine how far we're in peace and how much time we have)... All in all, I can summarize it that way: if I need to be solo on one day, I play another game than GW2, that is no RPG.

However, as a complement: on my opinion, others around are never a disturbance. If one wants to play with you but you feel to be solo, then you can just gently tell him/her. We have a good community in this game, with respect (apart from some trolls over weekends). Also, if you want to be solo, there is no obligation to answer to those asking for help. And at the top of it, in this game, players are no counters to each others (if you cut a tree, it's still there for others who want to cut same tree), so we're really entirely free of our way to go without to bother much about anything around us. Sort of full freedom. :3

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> I find the open world content in this game to be mind-numbingly bland. Almost a complete lack of challenge. I prefer playing with others in general, just not here. Working as a group to overcome challenges greater than any one of us is fun. Having multiple people semi-afk auto-attack a foe down with almost no chance of failure is not more fun than doing so alone. Without challenges to overcome as a group (and I admit that there are a few) then playing as a group is meaningless. If all one wants is to socialize the game is not needed.

Amen.

@"Sobx.1758"

There are a few negatives to other people joining/being around, in that trash mobs these days are near oneshot by (proficient) players, so when grinding out some heart, doing an event or needing something for a collection, kill stealing can be annoying.

Similarly when soloing some Champion/Legendary/Group event, it's generally easy until other player's join and scale the whole thing up without contributing much themselves, essentially just making things more "bullet spongy" for myself and dragging out the time.

Considering many/most of those have time limits, it can be annoying when the presence of other's fails an event by inflating boss HP too much, when I know I could have easily solo'ed it.

(Dis)honorable mention, Longbow Rangers and the like rolling their face over their keyboard, knocking mobs out of all of your AoE's you've just put down every 15 seconds.

As for positives.. yay, another player? I guess.

It's not like you ever need to group, communicate and cooperate to overcome anything though, so meeting other players to silently play alone together with for a moment by happenstance doesn't really matter.

I've been away from the game for several years now. Three or four, if I recall correctly. Came back when I heard about the newest expansion coming out. I started a new character since I also wanted a fresh start. And to remember how to play, if I'm going to be honest. Must admit I'm delightfully surprised at how lively the game still is as far as population.

I still love playing solo, but I also love seeing others around because it tells me the game is still very much alive and kicking.

When we consider that any and all meta events are filled to the brim with AFK "leechers", it isn't much of a group event to begin with. So i assume anyone i see is there just to make me and perhaps few other do it all for them so they get the rewards. This is the norm in "game as a service" and most multiplayer games. The less i have to deal with other peoples BS, the better.

I mainly play alone b/c no one I know IRL is into MMOs, and while I am perfectly fine with that, I'm always happy to join up when I can. I've met lots of nice people that way. The positives far outweigh any negatives in my experience. Once in a while I've had a bad experience but I am quick to leave the situation in that case.

I rarely see people from my guild doing the same quests, pugs are so erratic, and you never know how many people will show up for a meta event.

One good part about the open-world gaming is I'm able to help players/groups without feeling like I'm stepping all over them for loot.

I would like to have an easier way to join active groups in WvW. I go in and ask if there are is anyone leading and all I hear is silence.